RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

PCE Pixel art tools?

Started by Jester82, 07/03/2017, 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Quote from: fragmare on 01/18/2018, 01:32 PMAlso, editing or creating a post on this forum from a mobile device is a FUCKING NIGHTMARE
I know, that's why I use the silly Tapatalk app, it makes it fun to post.

If it weren't for Tapatalk, I wouldn't have been posting much for the past few years.

SRSLY.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gredler

Quote from: fragmare on 01/18/2018, 01:23 PMYou go to 'Posterize' and input a value of 8.  Iirc, it will use RGB values of 0, 36, 72, 109, 145, 182, 218, and 255, iirc
I've never tried using posterize to clean up a low color count rgb image - only to reduce colors from high color count rgb images - so I can't confirm if that's how it behaves, but it was my understanding that it does clamp them but it just uses a nearist neighbor and clamps the colors down to a range defined in the value you input; That would be awesome if that's how it works though, each number representing a bit depth?

I looked into it briefly and it sounds like the number represents the # of colors per channel it will clamp the image down to. I am not certain it relates to bit depth, nor will set the colors to be any different value other than choosing the nearist neighboring color on the gamut

FraGMarE

Quote from: Gredler on 01/18/2018, 08:26 PM
Quote from: fragmare on 01/18/2018, 01:23 PMYou go to 'Posterize' and input a value of 8.  Iirc, it will use RGB values of 0, 36, 72, 109, 145, 182, 218, and 255, iirc
I've never tried using posterize to clean up a low color count rgb image - only to reduce colors from high color count rgb images - so I can't confirm if that's how it behaves, but it was my understanding that it does clamp them but it just uses a nearist neighbor and clamps the colors down to a range defined in the value you input; That would be awesome if that's how it works though, each number representing a bit depth?

I looked into it briefly and it sounds like the number represents the # of colors per channel it will clamp the image down to. I am not certain it relates to bit depth, nor will set the colors to be any different value other than choosing the nearist neighboring color on the gamut

It's just a quick and easy way of color reducing a higher color image to 9-bit color, and especially useful in photoshop since you can't really import a 512 color palette