OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Anyone (like me) not give a damn about new systems?

Started by Rainbow_Bright, 01/06/2008, 09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainbow_Bright

I'm really not interested in anything that came after the 16 bit era (make that, not interested in the slightest). I played an x box once lol. I have never played a ps3, wii or 360 and don't plan too! Gaming for me, went totally downhill after the 16 bit era. I just don't like 3d games.

Anyone share my feelings for what came after 16 bit? It seems , that 2d gaming is very much a thing of the past. But, what do I know? I never go into gaming shops, never pick up any games magazines..I'm totally out of the loop , with regards to anything that came after the Playstation.

guyjin

Well, I did go through a phase where I thought the new consoles were crap, but I got over it.

Rainbow_Bright

Don't mind me,  I'm just stuck in the past :)
How much are games these days? like an average title for a new generation system?

Tatsujin

dito. but i don't think the later consoles are crap, just i'm not that interessted in :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Rainbow_Bright

I don't think they are crap either. :) It's just, I prefer 2d gaming :)

Ninja Spirit

Not right now cause I can't afford them, but I understand alot of new shmups are on deck so something's getting my attention and something to look ahead to

EDIT: Yeah and I'm definitely looking forward to playing the new Ghostbusters game as well!

MissaFX

My main gripe with the current generation of consoles is that they seem to offer nothing new in terms of gameplay.  I feel much about them like I did with the dreamcast when it came out, consoles stuck in between generations.  Sure it was nice (DC), but it just didn't seem to be a clear cut above the consoles that came right before it.  If the current generation of consoles were still exactly as they are now but they only cost 150 dollars or less they would be more appealing to me.  I'm not going to spend 500 dollars though on a PS3 or a 360 when the origional playstation still gives me basically the same gaming experience as either of those consoles would.  I don't play consoles online so the fact the PSX lacks this feature does not hinder my enjoyment.  The DC was the last console I really played online, since it was free.  The way online gaming should be.

The PSP however does offer something new in the sense that it is a portable emulation monster with online and multiplayer games.  Never has so much fun been packed into something so small.  I consider the PSP a clear step above the Game Boy Advance.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Rainbow_Bright

Missa, you are a True gaming girl :)
The psp does seem interesting, with all these emulators. But, I think I will buy a Gt instead :)

MissaFX

Quote from: rainbow_brightMissa, you are a True gaming girl :)
Yes I am. :mrgreen:

I'll tell ya something though, those groups of gaming girls who play FPS games and at the same time glam out make me wanna break something.  They belong in the 9th level of hell with a throng of Neo Pets chewing at their toes.  It's some kind of evil incarnation brough on by a hot night in a small closet between a snooty cheerleader and a whole LAN party of Halo-heads.

My idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Rainbow_Bright

I don't know any of these glamorama fps girls, but the thought scares me :(
Don't let them get me!!!!!!!

Turbo D

Quote from: Missa on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
8) 8) 8)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: rainbow_bright on 01/06/2008, 09:40 AMI'm really not interested in anything that came after the 16 bit era (make that, not interested in the slightest). I played an x box once lol. I have never played a ps3, wii or 360 and don't plan too! Gaming for me, went totally downhill after the 16 bit era. I just don't like 3d games.

Anyone share my feelings for what came after 16 bit? It seems , that 2d gaming is very much a thing of the past. But, what do I know? I never go into gaming shops, never pick up any games magazines..I'm totally out of the loop , with regards to anything that came after the Playstation.
I only know what's new because of what my friends buy. My newest system is a DS, then GC, then GBA, DC, NGP, WS, SS, PS, DUO R...

What doesn't make any sense though is that you seem to say you love 2D, yet don't go past 16-bit. Without question some of the best 2D games are from the "3D era" on Playstation and Saturn. Also, the GBA and DS are *stuffed* with good 2D games.

I play almost nothing 3D, but I certainly play stuff post 16-bit.

Jump Super Stars (DS)
Jump Ultimate Stars (DS)
Super Robot Wars D and J (GBA)
Super Robot Wars W (DS)
Hokoto no Ken, Firepro Returns, KOF 2001-2003, and XI (PS2)

The DC has Street Fighter 3, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, MvC2, Mars Matrix, and a bunch of polygonal yet 2D gameplay shooters like Ikaruga, Border Down, etc.

Then there are the Saturn and PS era 2D titles like Guardian Heroes, a ton of Capcom and SNK fighting stuff, Princess Crown, DoDanPatchi, Soukyugurentai, Death Tank Zwei, Gundam: The Battle Master, Super Robot Wars Alpha...

For me, personally, I'd say that most of the best 2D stuff is, in fact, from the 32-bit era. You just have to look a little harder.
IMG

Kitsunexus

The only modern systems I care for are PS2, GC, Dreamcast and Xbox 360. Everything else modern can blow me.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Rainbow_Bright

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/06/2008, 01:12 PM
Quote from: rainbow_bright on 01/06/2008, 09:40 AMI'm really not interested in anything that came after the 16 bit era (make that, not interested in the slightest). I played an x box once lol. I have never played a ps3, wii or 360 and don't plan too! Gaming for me, went totally downhill after the 16 bit era. I just don't like 3d games.

I only know what's new because of what my friends buy. My newest system is a DS, then GC, then GBA, DC, NGP, WS, SS, PS, DUO R...

What doesn't make any sense though is that you seem to say you love 2D, yet don't go past 16-bit. Without question some of the best 2D games are from the "3D era" on Playstation and Saturn. Also, the GBA and DS are *stuffed* with good 2D games.

I play almost nothing 3D, but I certainly play stuff post 16-bit.

Jump Super Stars (DS)
Jump Ultimate Stars (DS)
Super Robot Wars D and J (GBA)
Super Robot Wars W (DS)
Hokoto no Ken, Firepro Returns, KOF 2001-2003, and XI (PS2)

The DC has Street Fighter 3, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, MvC2, Mars Matrix, and a bunch of polygonal yet 2D gameplay shooters like Ikaruga, Border Down, etc.

Then there are the Saturn and PS era 2D titles like Guardian Heroes, a ton of Capcom and SNK fighting stuff, Princess Crown, DoDanPatchi, Soukyugurentai, Death Tank Zwei, Gundam: The Battle Master, Super Robot Wars Alpha...

For me, personally, I'd say that most of the best 2D stuff is, in fact, from the 32-bit era. You just have to look a little harder.
Good point about the Playstation and saturn :) Maybe one day I will get curious and have a look. Until late last year, I hadn't played games for years. Probably since I was 16. And even then, I didn't have my beloved Pc engine (an accident had killed it). Games are expensive, how much is a new title for the ds for instance? or the playstation three or wii or,whatever? When I can get so much pleasure out of Pc engine or Megadrive, why bother buying a new really expensive system.

:) I hope I didn't come across as some old school hardcore gamer or something, cause thats not who I am at all. I just wondered if anyone else liked older games better. After all, this is a pc engine site :)

termis

I'm somewhat interested in the 360, but there are tons of games that I've yet to play on the 3 systems that I have hooked up to my TV - the Duo, Saturn & the Dreamcast.  Those will keep me busy for years.... by the time I get around to the 360, it'll probably be a generation or two old.   :?

Ceti Alpha

QuoteMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
I like your style Missa.  8)
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Rainbow_Bright

Yeh and all the games will be much cheaper :)

Dark Fact

I still care about the new systems provided that they can offer good playability and not be all about "pimp my graphics, bitch!" That appears to be the vibe I'm getting from PS3 and XBOX 360.  The Wii, on the other hand, not only gives you good graphics, but playability as well that all your friends and family can enjoy. :)

In all honesty, though, I felt that a certain art was lost after the mid 90's when the era of 16-bit gaming came to an end in favor of more polygon based presentations.  There was a certain sense of care and commitment that went into the making of those games back then and that art had slowly degraded as the years went by in favor of meeting stock quotas and financial opportunities.

Don't get me wrong.  I like 3D games myself but I wish we would get game companies to really put themselves into making a good game with the same amount of care like we've seen from the early to mid 90's.
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Ceti Alpha

IMG

WoodyXP

Alot of todays games are complicated and seem like a "Chore" to play.  Chores are not fun.
Older games are quick and easy.. not too many buttons to push or memorize.. not too many
screens or menus to flip through.  Just down and dirty fun.  8)
"I bathe in AES carts."

PCEngineHell

Well,I enjoy the older systems more,as far as certain ones go. I don't enjoy the Snes much as I do the Pc-Engine or Megadrive/Genesis or NeoGeo. After those the Saturn gets top attention for the sheer amount of arcade ports it has. I enjoy the PS1 also,but not to the same degree. I think the Dreamcast was great,it got some of the earliest best 3d arcade titles on it,along with some nice original games and 2D fighters. I care not for the PS2,or the Xbox,but I did enjoy the Gamecube and like the Wii alot,but never in the same way I love to play the older systems.

Kitsunexus

OldRover

It's all about the games, imo. If a console has a game I want, I'll find a way to get the console so I can play the game. Right now, the PS3 has only one game I want...but it's not worth shelling out that kind of expense just to play one game (I bought a Sega Saturn just to play Dark Savior, but that only put me back $35US...that's nothing compared to the $1000US+ investment for a whole PS3 setup). I don't see 2D or 3D as even being a real issue in and of itself when it comes to gaming. But realistically, I couldn't imagine some 3D games being very fun in 2D, and likewise, some games should have stayed in 2D because they suck as 3D.

I'm with WoodyXP on his opinion though; most modern games seem overcomplicated and feel like chores. But what also bothers me is when game developers decide that they want their game to be "ultra-realistic!". Sheesh...I play games to ESCAPE reality, not to waddle around in it some more. I LIKE to be able to jump 40 feet into the air and throw lightning bolts at an army of slimy ugly things. The more fantastic, the better. The onslaught of boring-ass wartime FPS games is the biggest pile of stink in the history of gaming, and most of the games for the Wii and DS are utter crap with their input-method-abusing and their ultra-boring, rehashed themes (HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES CAN YOU PLAY MARIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Two of the software labels that I code for are considering the GP2X. Daring move, imo, but it should be fun.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Keranu

I really didn't give a damn about the last generation of video gaming, but I think this generation is improving thanks to the Wii's new and simplistic approach on gaming and even though 360 is much of the same as last generation, at least it interests me a little more.

But old skool forever :P .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

TR0N

Rainbow_bright i don't supose this reaction becuase you are getting older now ?

Taste do change as time go's on and once you have played every,thing it is hard to be impressed.

As for me i still play some what of the current gen.

Oh and i do feel it has gotten over blown at this point.Where "eye candy" is a big deal and gameplay has taken a back seat to it.

Just look at sony and ms still at least this gen nintendo wasn't worry about graphics.

To them it was keep it simple with the wii and to keep those franchase going.

Btw that's the most..i have played this current gen is just the,Wii unless you count the ps2 as well.

While i keep going back to the pce,neogeo and famicom for my retro fix.

As of 'late i'm still holding out on a ps3 or a 360 and i'm not in a rush still to have either.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

Quote from: Keranu on 01/06/2008, 10:13 PMBut old skool forever :P .
hardcore will never die!
only for those who know!
 8)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

my latest console in the collection is a DC (at moment). not so for the handhelds, there i own a DS lite and a PSP, which both i enjoy a lot, although about 95% for 2D games. but my latest achievement is silent hill zero which is pure 3D, but i enjoy a lot (since i love all silent hills). also i enjoy any racers, since racers are just made for 3D perspective, but i hate fighters in 3D, since fighters plays the best in 2D head-to-head!

my parole: unfortunately not every genre can benefit of 3D, therefore 3D is necessary where 3D makes sense to be used!

nat

I definitely like 2D games much more than 3D games, but I don't draw the line after the 16-bit era. As many have said, newer generation consoles have fantastic 2D games.

I own a Wii and am loving it currently.

bust3dstr8

There doesn't seem to be many newer games that really grab my attention too often. I have a PS2 and X-box and the only games are Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gaiden Black, Gradius III-IV-V, R-Type Final, Tekken 5, Katamari, and a few of the arcade compilations. For the PC the last new game I got was Warcraft III, played it maybe
20 hours then went back to Starcraft, which I still play now and then.
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

NecroPhile

I don't give a shit if a game is 2d or 3d, as long as it's fun.  Like Woody noted, the overly complicated bullshit that's in a lot of the newer games is a real turnoff, so I have a hard time getting drawn into some of the newer stuff.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Rainbow_Bright

I am older and life does get in the way. Thats why I took a break of gaming for over eight years, its only late 2007 that I bought another Pc engine and  some other stuff and got into gaming again. I like pick up and play games, games that are fun. I'm sure I'm missing out on great games, but I don't care :) I was totally a gamer kid and even into my early/mid teens. Life got in the way and I'm all grown up now. Getting the newest system just doesn't seem important anymore.

Ceti Alpha

QuoteI am older and life does get in the way. Thats why I took a break of gaming for over eight years, its only late 2007 that I bought another Pc engine and  some other stuff and got into gaming again. I like pick up and play games, games that are fun. I'm sure I'm missing out on great games, but I don't care Smile I was totally a gamer kid and even into my early/mid teens. Life got in the way and I'm all grown up now. Getting the newest system just doesn't seem important anymore.
Yeah, and that's why I like the old systems. They have games that you can play for a short time (20/30 minutes to an hour) and then turn it off and do something else (i.e. talk about your gaming experience on Pcenginefx heh). Aside from the old school RPGs most 8 bit/16 bit games don't require you to set aside hours of your time. I was at a friend's place last night playing Halo 3, and as much fun as I was having or because I was having so much fun, time just flew by. Three hours came and went.
IMG

Sinistron

I am a stubborn old mule.  The ONLY system I play is my turbo with arcade card CD and converter.  It was the last system I owned from back in the day and I stopped buying newer systems when it went under.  The turbo I'm using now I believe is the third turbo I've owned.  I've never found a reason to buy a newer system as the turbo has always fulfilled my needs.  When I moved in with my current girlfriend she had a playstation- and it is somewhere in the apartment collecting dust.  I'm not into 3-D games, not into 1st Person Shooters, not into games that never end or games that try to seem so real and lifelike that they no longer feel like games.  Give me the 2D platformers, horizontal and overhead space shooters and 16-bit action puzzlers- all that old-school goodness. I have 163 games now and I still have a tremendous wish list of games I want for the system.  Now that's a system.  The only non-turbo/pc-engine game I want is on its way- a DVD version of Dragon's Lair/Dragon's Lair II/Space Ace.
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Paisa49

My two favorite systems are the Sega Saturn and the TurboGrafx-16. Those two systems alone are the sole reason why I'm keeping my flat screen television well past the time we are supposed to switch to digital TV in the forseeable future. As far as this current generation of video games is concerned, I've only played the 360. Gears of War and Bioshock were pretty good, but I don't get the same fun feeling that I got when playing games like Mario Kart, Bonk's Revenge, Ninja Spirit, Guardian Heroes, and Dragon Force for the older systems.

Kitsunexus

TR0N

Quote from: Sinistron on 01/07/2008, 09:30 AMThe only non-turbo/pc-engine game I want is on its way- a DVD version of Dragon's Lair/Dragon's Lair II/Space Ace. 
Speaking of that i should be getting that as well soon also.

Got a notice from amazon a while ago and it's been shiped finally.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Sinistron

Here's to Dirk -- and Daphne that foxy bitch.  =P~  Mine was supposed to come yesterday but didn't.  I'm guessing/hoping today...
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

rolins

I don't give a damn. I'm too broke to afford any them which why I'm sticking to emulation. Plus, I just don't have the attention span for games requiring more than 4 buttons. I like my games simple but challenging which why I like shmups. Seriously, you only need 2 or 3 Buttons for those type of games.