RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Looking for some Turbo Duo Repair Suggestions

Started by JohnnyPhantom, 04/04/2013, 09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyPhantom

Hey everyone.
This is my "Last Attempt" thread post before I ship it out to "thesteve"
I have a Turbo Duo. I've replaced all the Capacitors and attempted to adjust the pots by ear and also with a multimeter measuring the resistance using the chart below. I also tried both the original laser and a new replacement laser. Same results.

IMG

It almost seems to be working great!... almost. What it does it, It will turn on, play HU cards PERFECTLY, but when I play a CD based game, either a real retail game or a CD-R copy. It'll play the intro of the game, the music, and then thats it. It will pretty much freeze. I've tested the system with a Audio CD and found that it will play Track 1 of any music CD just fine, perfect audio, crisp, clean of clicks or pops, and no static. BUT! when it goes to play any track higher than 1, the laser struggles, can't find where it should read, goes back and forth, the cd will stop spinning at times, and it never plays audio track 2 or higher.

I've attempted to adjust the pots and the dial on the laser as well, so far no improvements. Right now I'm back to the measurements from the chart above, based upon the problems, can anyone tell me where I should start to troubleshoot? or what pot to focus on?

Here's a video I shot of the problem
I'm open to suggestions, and like I said, if no luck still, off to "thesteve" it goes ^-^

Thanks everyone!

JohnnyPhantom

Hmm, quick update, I've noticed if I skip/seek to any track thats when the laser fails. (I've tried with both the stock laser and the replacement I purchased) BUT! if I put the CD in, press play, it will (so far) play tracks past track 1. So Far I'm at track 7 of 21 so I'm not 100% through the CD. what would/could cause the track seeking issues?

thesteve

its having difficulty holding focus during track skip

JohnnyPhantom

I ordered a new laser, would that help? what can I do to fix the focus issue?

thanks thesteve, as always, you're a excellent resource ^-^

thesteve

Could be the laser, but often slight pot adjustments solve the issue 2

JohnnyPhantom

Sorry I never got back to this, actually, my problem was a worn motor on the laser rail. I had another member of this great community test my system out, found the problem, replaced it and it has been working great ever since!

Keith Courage

OH, so the motor kept locking up. Yes That can happen when they wear out.