@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Duo-R with Graphic Glitches

Started by LowRes, 07/30/2017, 03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowRes

I have a Duo-R that has graphic glitches once you start playing a game.  The loading screen is fine, you can load a game no problem and even the title screen of the games seem to be fine, but once you try to start playing, the graphics are all messed up.  Should I start with swapping out the ram chips?  does this sound like a ram issue?
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

thesteve

Quote from: LowRes on 07/30/2017, 03:15 PMI have a Turbo Duo-R that has graphic glitches once you start playing a game.  The loading screen is fine, you can load a game no problem and even the title screen of the games seem to be fine, but once you try to start playing, the graphics are all messed up.  Should I start with swapping out the ram chips?  does this sound like a ram issue?
It depends actually
Likely a ram issue, but in most cases it's the traces not the chip
Which chip can often be determined by the specific image that's corrupted on certain games

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

LowRes

Quote from: thesteve on 07/30/2017, 04:36 PM
Quote from: LowRes on 07/30/2017, 03:15 PMI have a Turbo Duo-R that has graphic glitches once you start playing a game.  The loading screen is fine, you can load a game no problem and even the title screen of the games seem to be fine, but once you try to start playing, the graphics are all messed up.  Should I start with swapping out the ram chips?  does this sound like a ram issue?
It depends actually
Which chip can often be determined by the specific image that's corrupted on certain games

am I correct to be looking at the 2 HSRM20256LM12 ram chips? or are there other ram chips on the board?  Prince of Persia for example works perfectly except the sprite for the character is missing, Dracula X has a lot of random glitches, the Title screen looks good except the red writing is missing

I would link to some pics but for some reason photobucket is asking to upgrade my account to do so.  I'll have to find another hosting site

thanks for the help

thesteve

Quote from: LowRes on 07/30/2017, 05:25 PM
It depends actually

am I correct to be looking at the 2 HSRM20256LM12 ram chips? or are there other ram chips on the board?  Prince of Persia for example works perfectly except the sprite for the character is missing, Dracula X has a lot of random glitches, the Title screen looks good except the red writing is missing

I would link to some pics but for some reason photobucket is asking to upgrade my account to do so.  I'll have to find another hosting site

thanks for the help
If it works correctly on cards, the hsrm20256 are fine
It actually has 4 CD related ram banks
And 2 core system banks
Each bank is 1 or 2 chips

LowRes

Quote from: thesteve on 07/30/2017, 06:17 PM
Quote from: LowRes on 07/30/2017, 05:25 PM
It depends actually

thanks for the help
If it works correctly on cards, the hsrm20256 are fine
It actually has 4 CD related ram banks
And 2 core system banks
Each bank is 1 or 2 chips

unfortunately the card slot has been hacked up so I'm unable to test if hucards work without the glitches so I can't rule out the HSRM20256 chips, can you tell me the location of the 4 cd ram banks? so a total of 8 ram chips for CD?

thesteve

Not offhand on the R
Hacked up card slot could be the only issue, so start there

LowRes

Quote from: thesteve on 07/30/2017, 06:32 PMNot offhand on the R
Hacked up card slot could be the only issue, so start there

ok so I replaced the card slot and I now have Hucards working but with the same missing sprites and corrupted graphics as the CD Games so I think that confirms my problem is with the HSRM20256LM12 chips.  I'm going to get a friend of mine to swap those out from a parts board and hopefully all will be fixed on this board and I'll have saved another Duo

replacing the surface mounted ram is a little out of my skill level, but replacing the card slot tonight was pretty fun lol

thanks for your help in narrowing it down

thesteve

It now is either the 20256 ram, the HuC6270 or the connections between

thesteve

As I said before, the connections are the most likely fault

LowRes

An update on this.  It ended up being the HuC6270 had a broken pin, only noticed it when I had my buddy replace the chip with a known working chip off a parts board.  I think we finally figured out my problem.  Took so long cause I had to get a friend to deal with these surface mounted chips since I'm not good enough to do that kind of work and he's been super busy.

in other news I somehow lost the power button switch! the case has been laying on my desk for so long with the screws and power button and now it has dissapeared! always something.  Anybody know of anywhere I might be able to get a replacement?

MNKyDeth

I think I got rid of my extra duo-r shell. But I will check my parts and pieces to see if I have an extra one.

I'll let you know sometime tomorrow if I have one or not as I am at work now for the next 12'ish hours.