OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

pc engine DUO reads ONLY music d

Started by kisaku, 10/25/2015, 06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kisaku

Hello!
My pc engine DUO is reading very well only music cd..when i insert a game it starts to spin but LOAD ERROR. Music cd audio is very clean... Caps problem?
Thanks.

MNKyDeth

If the "TurboDuo" or "PC Engine Duo" has not had it's caps replaced there is a good chance that is at least part of the problem if not all of it. From what I have seen even after replacing caps the cd-rom usually will still need some adjustment even if minor.

kisaku

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 10/25/2015, 08:25 AMIf the "TurboDuo" or "PC Engine Duo" has not had it's caps replaced there is a good chance that is at least part of the problem if not all of it. From what I have seen even after replacing caps the cd-rom usually will still need some adjustment even if minor.
I tried to adjust pots but nothing so i think it can be caps problem.
What caps should i change?

Bernie

Change all of them.  Seriously, if you are gonna open it and change one cap, may as well change them all, especially on these systems.  Any of the tech guys here will tell ya that.  :)

GohanX

Most of the tech guys would agree that if the caps have never been changed do all of them anyway.

kisaku

But... if i change all caps (my repair man wants 30 euro) and then doesn't work? :)

schweaty

30 euro is a good price for a cap job.  U should get it done no matter what.  It will probably need pot adjustment after the recap

wilykat

Yeah go for that recap job. Also if the person is experienced in Duo repair, he can probably adjust the pots to get it working right for you.

Keith Courage

if audio cds play absolutely perfectly but game discs will not then there is most likely another issue than the caps.

How well do the music discs read? any audio skips?

are you testing with real game discs or cdrs?

Yes, caps are a good idea, but if music CDs play absolutely fine but games will not, then there is a different problem.

kisaku

Quote from: Keith Courage on 10/27/2015, 12:11 AMif audio cds play absolutely perfectly but game discs will not then there is most likely another issue than the caps.

How well do the music discs read? any audio skips?

are you testing with real game discs or cdrs?

Yes, caps are a good idea, but if music CDs play absolutely fine but games will not, then there is a different problem.
yes music cd plays perfectly.
I tested it with original pce cd games.

kisaku

thesteve

i have rarely had an issue with the traces cause it to incorrectly select the tracks
it would play fine in order, but directly entering a track number would play the wrong track

i also had 1 that the cd level and time displayed was glitchy (also traces)

in both cases the cd music played fine, but games didnt load

kisaku

Quote from: thesteve on 11/03/2015, 12:51 PMi have rarely had an issue with the traces cause it to incorrectly select the tracks
it would play fine in order, but directly entering a track number would play the wrong track

i also had 1 that the cd level and time displayed was glitchy (also traces)

in both cases the cd music played fine, but games didnt load
So, changing caps will be the right thing to do? ;)

thesteve

kisaku

thesteve

no, its fixable either way
it does need the caps done, just i expect it to still have the CD issue after recap
so i would normally fix it first, but either way

kisaku

thesteve

If it's reading audio the drive works
Just has a problem in the data path