Dungeon Explorer II English Friendly?

Started by LowRes, 12/04/2017, 06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowRes

Hey guys,

How English friendly is the pc engine version of Dungeon Explorer II? my kids and I just finished dungeon explorer on turbografx, and they're requesting the sequel lol

haven't even seen a US release on ebay although I think it exists, I usually prefer the pc engine version anyway for the artwork. 

thought I'd ask before I pull the trigger and get one on ebay
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

crazydean

The language helps by telling you where to go next or what to look for. You'll wander around some  without it, and you may not enjoy it as much overall.
Personally, I wouldn't bother because it's basically the same game but not quite as good. The sequel doesn't add anything. Also, it was on the PSN store for the PS3 and PSP. Idk if it's still there, but it may be worth checking out.

LowRes

Quote from: crazydean on 12/04/2017, 06:33 PMThe language helps by telling you where to go next or what to look for. You'll wander around some  without it, and you may not enjoy it as much overall.
Personally, I wouldn't bother because it's basically the same game but not quite as good. The sequel doesn't add anything. Also, it was on the PSN store for the PS3 and PSP. Idk if it's still there, but it may be worth checking out.
Thanks for the warning, I might give the pc engine version a shot anyway.  If it's just more of the same we should be fine. Maybe I'll let the kids wander around aimlessly till they stumble upon the next dungeon by accident and call me down for the dungeons lmao

nopepper

The US version goes for hundreds, but thankfully, your system can play cdrs, so I would personally go that route. If you want to be somewhat legit and have packaging, get the PCE version and play the CDR of the US rev.

It is a worthy sequel, IMO. Not necessarily better, but still great fun, especially in multiplayer.

PukeSter

The sequel is better, gameplay wise. Has more dungeons and even some sidequests! You can also save your game and continue at the beginning of the dungeon if you die, instead of having to reset to the title screen and input the password.

Burn a CD-R. It's a little harder to figure out where to go without knowing the language, unlike the first game. Especially since some dungeons are optional or can be done out of order. 15 in total i think, unlike 10 in the first one.

The snes port is more straightforward but isn't quite as good. There's only a single large hub town and "most" of the exploration and side stuff was cut. You progress linearly by a world map, and all dungeons are mandatory

LowRes

my pc engine duo and duo-R get the luxury of original pressed discs only, no CDRs on these lasers lol  Might keep my eye out for the US version to pop up on ebay.  I don't mind spending the money for it.

thanks for the heads up guys, I'll hold off till I can play the US version

CrackTiger

Quote from: LowRes on 12/04/2017, 09:51 PMmy pc engine duo and duo-R get the luxury of original pressed discs only, no CDRs on these lasers lol  Might keep my eye out for the US version to pop up on ebay.  I don't mind spending the money for it.

thanks for the heads up guys, I'll hold off till I can play the US version
Just be aware that playing original pressed discs will wear out your Duos' lasers faster.

Don't worry though, you can buy another refurbished Duo for the price of a single game like US version Dungeon Explorer II.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nopepper

Quote from: guest on 12/05/2017, 12:09 AMDon't worry though, you can buy another refurbished Duo for the price of a single game like US version Dungeon Explorer II.
+1 for pragmatism.

HuMan

My PCE Duo plays almost nothing but CD-Rs and it still works just fine.

NecroPhile

The PCE version is definitely playable.  If you're not sure where to go, you can follow a guide online.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

turboswimbz

I played the PCE version through once, No issues with being an English only speaker.  You may have to search a bit more to find where to go but it's easy enough.  You can also find English versions / play throughs of the cut screens on you tube which helps understand the story a bit more. Also someone who I believe is a member here has a pretty good FAQ/Hint guide on GameFAQs that helped me if i got stuck: https://www.gamefaqs.com/turbocd/589273-dungeon-explorer-ii/faqs/28932

The English version actually appears to be quite rare as far as being for sale.  I suggest just getting the PCE version so you can play through it.  Game is more of the first with a few added twists, (some good some bad) if you enjoyed the first you'll enjoy this as well.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

LowRes

I went ahead and ordered the pc engine version and a pc engine multitap off Hit-Japan for $30 :)

I'll refer to a guide like suggested if we get stuck.  To be honest I had to check a guide a couple times with the first game even though it was english lol

turboswimbz

Quote from: LowRes on 12/05/2017, 01:30 PMI went ahead and ordered the pc engine version and a pc engine multitap off Hit-Japan for $30 :)

I'll refer to a guide like suggested if we get stuck.  To be honest I had to check a guide a couple times with the first game even though it was english lol
Nice!  the guide I linked there is nice because it just points you in the right direction without giving anything away etc.  And I had to use a guide towards the end of DE1 when you need to back track a bit, because I just didn't know where the heck I was suppose to go, although it should have been obvious.
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

ParanoiaDragon

DE II is one of my top fav's.  Only complaint would be I wish the graphics were upgraded more from the first game.  I do feel like you're missing out on playing the US version.  I'm sure it's fun & beatable in japanese, but more epic in english with the voice acting & all.
IMG

turboswimbz

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/06/2017, 12:07 AMDE II is one of my top fav's.  Only complaint would be I wish the graphics were upgraded more from the first game.  I do feel like you're missing out on playing the US version.  I'm sure it's fun & beatable in japanese, but more epic in english with the voice acting & all.
While understanding the English is a nice perk, I felt the emotion and sound of the original was actually much nicer.

crazydean

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/06/2017, 12:07 AMDE II is one of my top fav's.  Only complaint would be I wish the graphics were upgraded more from the first game.  I do feel like you're missing out on playing the US version.  I'm sure it's fun & beatable in japanese, but more epic in english with the voice acting & all.
If only there were a way to play the game without spending hundreds of dollars.

Keith Courage

I'll say what no one else will.

If you really want a pressed disc, maybe get the pce works English version for much less than the original from Tobias.

not saying I agree with the practice. Just saying it's an option.