@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Am I frying my system cards?

Started by Pfloydguy2, 01/08/2018, 05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfloydguy2

Hello, gang.  I came here hoping to run this issue past the experts.

A few years ago I bought a used Turbo setup consisting of the original US base unit, a turbo booster, and the white Turbo CD unit, plus cables etc. It was refurbished but looked to have been well cared-for, and it worked well for me for awhile. I bought a new Japanese System Card 3.0 via ebay, and a HuCard converter new from Telegames. These also worked well, but after a few months the Turbo stopped recognizing the System Card 3.0. So I bought a used Arcade Pro system card from a very reputable local shop. This also worked well for me for awhile, but yesterday my Turbo stopped recognizing my Arcade Pro card.

Could my converter unit be frying my system cards somehow? I can't seem to find any similar stories online. I'm still rather new to the TurboGrafx, and with all the goofy system card requirements and other quirks, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.  Is this a common issue?  And is it safe to assume my system cards are done for?  I've attached some photos of my setup below.

Please let me know your thoughts.

IMG
IMG
IMG

(EDIT:  ...and my photos aren't showing up.  Sorry.)

Purple1308

If not your converter is dying on you

LowRes

I would suspect the converter aswell

Since you already have the cd-rom2 unit, I'd ask Keith Courage on here to sell you a IFU briefcase unit and maybe a region modded pc engine.  I see him post good deals on that kind of setup.  Or just get a turbo everdrive and use that as your system card.  Many people I think go that route
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

Pfloydguy2

Thanks!  I do have a Turbo Everdrive, and I tried last night to get it to work as a system card, but the games showed up glitchy.  I might not have the right system card files.  But as I understand it, if a game needs the extra ram of a legit system card, then using the Turbo Everdrive as your system card will not work.  Is that correct?  Is there a game you could recommend to test this?

Also, a dying converter does make sense.  I bought it new and have barely used it though, so I'd hope that wasn't it.

LowRes

Quote from: Pfloydguy2 on 01/08/2018, 08:24 PMThanks!  I do have a Turbo Everdrive, and I tried last night to get it to work as a system card, but the games showed up glitchy.  I might not have the right system card files.  But as I understand it, if a game needs the extra ram of a legit system card, then using the Turbo Everdrive as your system card will not work.  Is that correct?  Is there a game you could recommend to test this?

Also, a dying converter does make sense.  I bought it new and have barely used it though, so I'd hope that wasn't it.
I've never used a everdrive myself so hopefully somebody who does can help you out.  Maybe it's an issue with your model or firmware?  I know guys use them as system cards instead of having to purchase the US super system card which is expensive.
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

Keith Courage

Which everdrive do you have? Any Version 1 meaning V1 1.1 1.2 etc.. can only be used as a CD system 2.1 or lower card. Only the newer Everdrives V2 on up can do a super system CD card. You also need the correct patched file for it to work. The regular Bios rom alone will not work until you patch it.

Also, have you tried backing the systems cards out of the converter slightly? Sometimes the pins of those get gummy and require cleaning. Backing them out of the slot slightly usually works if the pins are not clean enough to get it going.

Pfloydguy2

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/08/2018, 10:08 PMWhich everdrive do you have? Any Version 1 meaning V1 1.1 1.2 etc.. can only be used as a CD system 2.1 or lower card. Only the newer Everdrives V2 on up can do a super system CD card. You also need the correct patched file for it to work. The regular Bios rom alone will not work until you patch it.

Also, have you tried backing the systems cards out of the converter slightly? Sometimes the pins of those get gummy and require cleaning. Backing them out of the slot slightly usually works if the pins are not clean enough to get it going.
You, sir, are a god among men.  Turns out I had my converter pushed in too far into the console.  My arcade card lives!  I can't tell you how happy this makes me...to say it makes my whole month is an understatement. 

I've been so blown away by the Turbo.  I can't believe I grew up without knowing games could be this impressive in the 90s.  I was so bummed when it stopped working...I wanted to explore the library but didn't want to pour any more money into my console if it was just going to keep giving me problems.

But now I might need to consider that copy of Saphire at my local shop....

Thanks, Keith Courage, and everyone else who commented.

NecroPhile

I'm glad it's all working for ya.  :mrgreen:

As for Sapphire, it's a sweet game but make sure it's a legit copy and not a Tobias fake before you shell out all your pennies.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Alt-Nintega

What is that white CD unit? I thought the Turbo CD units are black. Is that modded?

Pfloydguy2

That's just the way it was when I bought it.  I've always assumed it was the CD unit that was intended to go with the white PC Engine, but I'm probably among the least-knowledgable members here when it comes to NEC hardware.  It's not modded, but I was told when I bought it that it had been re-capped.  Whether that refers to just the Turbo, just the CD unit, or both, I'm not sure.

tbone3969

That's the PC Engine CD player.  Google PC Engine Briefcase.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Purple1308

Quote from: KarlMarx on 01/15/2018, 08:34 PMWhat is that white CD unit? I thought the Turbo CD units are black. Is that modded?
No its probably a japanese one since america and japan run on 60hz so it doesnt affect it