Controller buttons I & II Not Working

Started by LowRes, 01/12/2018, 03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowRes

I have 2 Junk controllers with buttons I & II not working on both of them.  Cleaned the pcb contacts with Alcohol, tried new silicon button pads, tested with a known working controller cord, replaced the 10uF 16v capacitor, and reflowed everything on the pcb. 

anybody got any ideas or anybody ran into similar problem? Everything else on the controller is working normally.
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

hoobs88

I had a controller where one of the screw holes was stripped and wouldn't fasten the back cover to the front cover because the screw couldn't pull it close enough together which resulted in one of the nearby buttons not able to make contact with the PCB. Not sure if that is happening for you but it seems like you've exhausted all of the other possibilities.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

LowRes

It turns out its the Motorolla MC74HC163 chip located at IC702.  I believe this chip controls the turbo switches and was preventing the buttons from working.

I removed the chip and added the jumper wires to J701 & J702, and removed the jumper wires from J707 & J710, also removed the C703 Capacitor so it matches what a normal PC Engine controller looks like, and its working normally without the turbo function.  I'll have to find some replacement chips to restore the turbo switches.
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine