10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

TurboDuo CD drive no longer spins

Started by athanato, 01/15/2018, 01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

athanato

Hi,

I recapped a TurboDuo and tweaked the pots to fix the audio track glitching, ran it for a 4 hours and when I closed her up and did a sanity check the CD no longer spins. Did the lens burn out or the motor die? I tweaked VR101, 103 and 105 slightly to fix the glitching/skipping which got it working perfectly... any thoughts?

UPDATE: after leaving it off for a bit i measured the voltage on the motor (4v) then it started working for a few minutes then stopped spinning again. Initially I could finally hear the lens try to adjust and after a few tries it spun and read audio for a few minutes until it died again.

LowRes

There's a sticky in this section with a excellent guide on how to adjust the pots by ear on a duo.  Follow the guide and hopefully you will get discs to spin again.  If you marked the pots before adjusting, I'd return the pots back to your mark and start from there.  Either way the guide should get you running again.

also I'd make sure the gears and rails are clean and lubricated
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

Keith Courage

Check to make sure the grounding strip on the lens ribbon cable is not grounding/shorting out against the motherboard. This happens rather easily causing the drive to not work.

I typically just remove this strip since it isn't needed.

athanato

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/15/2018, 05:05 PMCheck to make sure the grounding strip on the lens ribbon cable is not grounding/shorting out against the motherboard. This happens rather easily causing the drive to not work.

Thank you!!! :) , you are on to something, after fiddling around and double checking the wiring it brought it back to life, now to run it for a bit... this makes sense sicne this started after i last closed the unit.

athanato

Quote from: LowRes on 01/15/2018, 04:37 PMThere's a sticky in this section with a excellent guide on how to adjust the pots by ear on a duo.  Follow the guide and hopefully you will get discs to spin again.  If you marked the pots before adjusting, I'd return the pots back to your mark and start from there.  Either way the guide should get you running again.

also I'd make sure the gears and rails are clean and lubricated
Keith nailed it as expected :), blasted cables.
I re-did the pots to match the multi-meter readings for my pce duo and slightly adjusted 101 and 103 to get it fixed fast.

athanato

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/15/2018, 05:05 PMCheck to make sure the grounding strip on the lens ribbon cable is not grounding/shorting out against the motherboard. This happens rather easily causing the drive to not work.

After running for another 4 hours the cd cut out again and I can't get it to spin anymore, I did not touch the pots which were near perfect. What strip are you referring to, did I overlook a pic in the repair thread?

Keith Courage

Quote from: athanato on 01/16/2018, 02:14 AM

After running for another 4 hours the cd cut out again and I can't get it to spin anymore, I did not touch the pots which were near perfect. What strip are you referring to, did I overlook a pic in the repair thread?
There is a copper grounding strip that sticks to the larger of the two lens ribbon cables. I just remove them and the black wire connected to it. Be careful to not rip the lens ribbon when doing so.

If this doesn't turn out to be your problem then check all the little the wires that go from the play/track buttons to the main motherboard. I've seen these get shorted/smashed when people close up the case too fast not noticing that some of the wires are near the screw holes.

farankoshan

I also have a similar problem because my PCE Duo no longer spins as well. I had the whole board recapped thinking it would help, but so far, still no spin.

I don't know where to begin. :( Any help would be most appreciated. At least a sort of process to rule whatever reason out...

My HuCard games work fine, but the CD spindle just won't spin. We tried to attach simple AA battery to the contacts of the motor via some jumper wires and it spun. Does that shed light on anything guys?
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

PigInTheMud

I'm having the same problem too. I tried doing what Keith Courage above said, and removed one of the ground wires connecting from the laser  to the motherboard  and that didn't change anything. I also tried a very very slight pot adjustment to pots 102 and 104, but nothing changed so I set them back to their original positions

I recently picked up a PC Engine Duo that worked for the most part. Had quiet sound and some issues reading some discs so I decided to do a full cap replacement.
After the full cap replacement the sound is much louder and the visuals are clearer. However now when I turn the system on it says press run to start, but when I press run it just loads and the disc never starts spinning. I took the shell off the see if anything was getting stuck. I have determined the motor is in fact working as the laser resets the position to neutral every time I turn on the system. The laser is also obviously getting power since there is a slight red light noticeable inside of it and 2 times I saw it twitch up and down for a second as if it is trying to focus. This twitching doesn't happen very often though. The laser also twitches everytime I power up or down the console

Is it possible that I burned the laser out when replacing the capacitors? Could one of the capacitors that I put in cause this if they have a bad connection? I don't have a voltmeter so I haven't be able to verify that every connection is 100% but everything seems to be pretty well soldered in and connection.

There's a chance I removed the wrong ground wire though. Can anyone provide an image of the correct wire?

LowRes

Quote from: PigInTheMud on 02/11/2018, 10:25 AMI'm having the same problem too. I tried doing what Keith Courage above said, and removed one of the ground wires connecting from the laser  to the motherboard  and that didn't change anything. I also tried a very very slight pot adjustment to pots 102 and 104, but nothing changed so I set them back to their original positions

I recently picked up a PC Engine Duo that worked for the most part. Had quiet sound and some issues reading some discs so I decided to do a full cap replacement.
After the full cap replacement the sound is much louder and the visuals are clearer. However now when I turn the system on it says press run to start, but when I press run it just loads and the disc never starts spinning. I took the shell off the see if anything was getting stuck. I have determined the motor is in fact working as the laser resets the position to neutral every time I turn on the system. The laser is also obviously getting power since there is a slight red light noticeable inside of it and 2 times I saw it twitch up and down for a second as if it is trying to focus. This twitching doesn't happen very often though. The laser also twitches everytime I power up or down the console

Is it possible that I burned the laser out when replacing the capacitors? Could one of the capacitors that I put in cause this if they have a bad connection? I don't have a voltmeter so I haven't be able to verify that every connection is 100% but everything seems to be pretty well soldered in and connection.

There's a chance I removed the wrong ground wire though. Can anyone provide an image of the correct wire?
It's possible the caps you replaced in the cd section of the pcb are not soldered in correctly, however I'd say it's also more likely that you just need to adjust the pots now that you have new capacitors installed.  There's a guide on here how to do it by ear and it's very easy to follow.
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

PigInTheMud

Quote from: LowRes on 02/11/2018, 04:35 PM
Quote from: PigInTheMud on 02/11/2018, 10:25 AMI'm having the same problem too. I tried doing what Keith Courage above said, and removed one of the ground wires connecting from the laser  to the motherboard  and that didn't change anything. I also tried a very very slight pot adjustment to pots 102 and 104, but nothing changed so I set them back to their original positions

It's possible the caps you replaced in the cd section of the pcb are not soldered in correctly, however I'd say it's also more likely that you just need to adjust the pots now that you have new capacitors installed.  There's a guide on here how to do it by ear and it's very easy to follow.
Thanks! adjusting the pots VR102 and VR104 didn't seem to change anything so I returned them back to position. All the Capacitors seem to be fine too, but I ordered a multimeter to double check everything. Unless anyone has any other ideas I'll let you know what the multimeter says

PigInTheMud

None of the pots seemed to be particularly off. I'm thinking I may have messed something up (ie maybe stripped something when removing the old capacitors). Is there anyone on these forums I can send the console to to have it repaired>