10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Is the PCE craze over yet?

Started by SuperPlay, 02/22/2018, 07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPlay

been drinking lots of alcohol tonight ;-)

GohanX

Nothing is over! You can't just turn it off!

PukeSter

No clue.

If that Kanye album keeps it's name though, eBay might skyrocket.

Mathius

The Collctardites have already bombed the Sapphire mines with enormous money bags, plus the population of New Bonk City have been raped and pillaged. In fact pieces considered to be "not minty fresh" are still washing up on the shores of the Hudson presumably discarded as "trash".

The Turbo Faithful may be losing these battles. But, we will win this war. WE WILL!

seieienbu

Prices for even common stuff seems stupidly overpriced still.  There's no other way to explain why Keith Courage copies can sell for up to $20.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

tbone3969

Over.....

Just the opposite.  It seems to be going strong.  I have been getting very high prices for the stuff I have been selling recently.  PC Engine is heating up.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

NecroPhile

I don't think it's slowed down yet, but I can't wait for the day that posers and retards fuck off to some other hobby.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

pixeljunkie

Makes me all the more hesitant to sell ANYTHING, in fears it will be damned to an eternity on some goober's shelf. Yes, I realize it's on THIS goober's shelf....but I play them and I talk to them...and caress them.

TheClash603

I have a sealed PC-E set, but don't know anyone who would ever want to buy those sealed games.

LowRes

QuoteI don't think it's slowed down yet, but I can't wait for the day that posers and retards f*ck off to some other hobby.
lmao good one
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

NE146

There was a craze? I dunno..  I come from the ancient land of being the only person I knew who bought TG16 games, so maybe my perspective is a little skewed  :lol:

VmprHntrD

The posers and retarded fucked off to the TG16 and PCE stuff after they wrecked the NES and SNES stuff as that's where it got started.  You scare people off one system, then they run to the next and the predators follow.

I guess I probably look bad with the new account writing that but I've owned off and on the stuff for 20 years now.  I wish the whole mess would go pogs and beanie baby and just die off like some horribly dragged out fad where the foolish have that wtf epiphany and sell in bulk like all those dumb discs and plushies did.   Due to all this I lost my cares in buying games complete as the prices get dumber I just buy loose.

TR0N

PCE craze is over ?! Uhh ask rambo  :roll:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

gilbert

Someone should make a Hitler rant video about the inflation of the retro video game market, if it's not done already.  :stoned:

xcrement5x

Quote from: gilbert on 03/19/2018, 01:13 AMSomeone should make a Hitler rant video about the inflation of the retro video game market, if it's not done already.  :stoned:
I never get tired of this.

Winniez

My guess is that this is just the beginning. Fortunately PC-Engine hasn't been covered that much by big name youtubers. I would imagine more people getting bored of the NES, SNES and Megadrive landscape and starting to broaden their horizons. Especially for NES the PCE is a natural followup, in fact that's what peeked my interested in the first place.
When you think about it the pc-engine prices for most part are still fairly reasonable, sure there are some super expensive games like with every system. If you are going for complete copies the PCE shooters are actually fairly affordable considering how good many of them are. Even complete Super Famicom shooters are pretty expensive these days.
This is just about Hucards, no idea about CDs.

Gypsy

Quote from: Winniez on 03/24/2018, 05:17 PMMy guess is that this is just the beginning. Fortunately PC-Engine hasn't been covered that much by big name youtubers. I would imagine more people getting bored of the NES, SNES and Megadrive landscape and starting to broaden their horizons. Especially for NES the PCE is a natural followup, in fact that's what peeked my interested in the first place.
When you think about it the pc-engine prices for most part are still fairly reasonable, sure there are some super expensive games like with every system. If you are going for complete copies the PCE shooters are actually fairly affordable considering how good many of them are. Even complete Super Famicom shooters are pretty expensive these days.
This is just about Hucards, no idea about CDs.
James and Mike have done a few turbo videos recently.

Prices have definitely trended up even compared to just a few years ago. It's been a hot minute since I've bought anything for PCE, especially on eBay. I think the last thing I bought for PCE was one of the arcade card wrasslin games for like $10. Very fun game.

Winniez

Sport games are a great value. Its fun to pick up cheap games and try them out. I'm really picky when it comes to games costing over 25euros. For most part I'm all set with my Hucard collection, sure there are few games I would like to have like Tatsujin but most of them are just too expensive and not worth it for me.

Gypsy

Winniez

The all mighty Truxton of Classic Game Room fame :) Input Truxton, output fun! Btw I have always liked that CGR promotes some obscure Toaplan shooter instead of all the hip games. More like a running gag now though.

I know and to be honest I prefer that version, PC Engine version just seems so difficult that its more like a chore to play it. Just mentioned it as an example game I would like to get if it was cheaper. I'm perfectly happy without it :)

Gypsy

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 03/23/2018, 02:32 PMThose who identify as obeyers, they sicken me deeply. PC Engine was a mistake. It's nothing but collectards.

-Tatsujin
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Arkhan Asylum

I like how we live in a world where dumbfucks on YouTube influence hobbies this heavily.

It's hilarious to me people are incapable of finding cool shit to entertain themselves with unless YouTube things tell them to do it.

What did they do in the 90s?  Lick tree stumps?
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PukeSter

Quote from: Winniez on 03/24/2018, 09:46 PMThe all mighty Truxton of Classic Game Room fame :) Input Truxton, output fun! Btw I have always liked that CGR promotes some obscure Toaplan shooter instead of all the hip games. More like a running gag now though.

I know and to be honest I prefer that version, PC Engine version just seems so difficult that its more like a chore to play it. Just mentioned it as an example game I would like to get if it was cheaper. I'm perfectly happy without it :)
It looks and sounds nicer, and the difficulty is more consistent. You still get 5 whole continues too

Other toaplan games like Twin hawk and zero wing are better on genesis though, but I only like a couple toaplan games to begin with.

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 03/25/2018, 02:06 AMI like how we live in a world where dumbfucks on YouTube influence hobbies this heavily.

It's hilarious to me people are incapable of finding cool shit to entertain themselves with unless YouTube things tell them to do it.

What did they do in the 90s?  Lick tree stumps?
In fairness, the means by which I got my info in the 1990s, especially pre-internet, are dried up.

Game magazines (EGM, GamePro, Tips & Tricks, GameFan, PC Gamer, etc.) aren't really flying off the shelf.  Another way was to wait for a port of the game that I played in the arcade and that's not happening so much these days.  There was also picking a game that looked cool at the local rental chains and perhaps buying it if it were good, but renting isn't really a thing.  Lastly, I'd hang out with friends from school and if they had something good I might pick it up, but I'm not hanging out with too many school kids nowadays.

My options in 2018 are to basically buy what you guys say is good or what I think looks good on YouTube.

WoodyXP

"I bathe in AES carts."

geise

NoSexGex

For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

ToyMachine78

EvilEvoIX

Its definitely gone up.  Bonks Adventure complete I have seen at 70-80 now in stores.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

EmperorIng

Perhaps the Super SD System 3 will take some pressure off longtime fans who migrate to an emulated PC Engine setup. However it will be some time before interest in the system levels off. What would need to happen is an entire generation of kids growing up and saying "Yeah ok, these games are too primitive for me, grandpa" - which most of them already do - AND the old fogies cannibalizing different systems/collections to say "fuck it; I'm out of the game." The first is more likely than the second.

Mathius

Yeah I'm waiting on the day for typical collectors to grow cold on the scene. Without any true passion the shelf trophies they've spent house payments on will quit glowing in their eyes and they'll move on.

esteban

I'm not holding my breath... there are too many idiots out there... (if only there was a term for folks who buy games but never play them...)

I stopped "really" buying games 13+ years ago (I only buy a handful every year). I am playing more, though, than I used to, so that tells you that I had WAY TOO MANY games myself. Plus, I spent a good chunk of time *trading games*... but, to be honest, trading was a big hassle for me.

You can imagine how I feel about current prices.

OUR GENERATION (we need to figure out the age range) will age into senility... and I don't expect a *critical mass*  subsequent generations caring enough about the games/era we covet...

(for "mainstream appeal"... there will always be some fans who appreciate archaic stuff). 

So, we'll be drooling when the prices are reasonable again.

Oh, and all the plastics will be rotten and metals corroded.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG