RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Committed to Collecting for the TG-16

Started by VestCunt, 10/02/2013, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VestCunt

Hi guys! I'm new here and I LOVE the TurboGrafx!

But enough about games, how about those BOXES? Will I feel happy after I buy 94 pieces of cardboard? Or do I need all 98?

This may be hard to believe, but even though I'm a totes TURBO diehard, I'm clueless regarding the extent of the library. But don't worry: I've already committed to buying everything I don't know exists and I never wanted previously. However many games there are, I'll buy 'em! Six games or eight hundred and ninety-two, it doesn't matter, I need them sealed in protective cases on my shelf ASAP. Just tell me what YOU consider a set. Do those Sapphire bootlegs some guy made in his living room count? How about that Rockman game stolen from one of our selfless homebrew programmers? I'll happily pay the thief $66.55 for an ISO on a CD-R... as long as it's in shrinkwrap, that is. Tell me what other collectors are buying and I'll buy it too!

And don't worry about genre - my collecting appetite is completely indiscriminate when it comes to little things like playability, shovelware, or fun. No favoritism for RPG's or shooter bias here, I'm more interested in whether the packaging bears the TG16 logo. Heck, I don't even care if it's a game! Pixelated boobie slideshow for $150? Why not? Beach Boys soundtrack sung by a studio band in animal voices? Whatever, as long it increases the length and girth of my collection!

That said, I'm not going to waste my hard-earned money on any old thing. As a collector of taste and discernment, there are two types of so-called "collectibles" for the TurboGrafx I will not buy:

First, strange tales and whispers on The Racketboy have alerted me to an imposter, poorman's console called the PC Engine. Apparently the common mob of slobs and gamers buy these "imports" rather than pay $300 for Bonk 3. Well, that's not me! Maybe I'll look into these Japanese knockoffs like Dracula X and Spriggan on my emulator someday, but first I need to buy a poster for Yo Bro and a box for Tricky Kick.

Second, I'm not interested in truly rare items like promos and prototypes. Those things are just too expens... I mean nebulous. How will I know when my collection is complete? It's impossible to find a checklist for all that crap and they don't look that good on a shelf anyway. Most prototypes don't even have packaging or collectible boxes!  Homebrew is cheap, so I'll buy that, but don't expect me to actually open the shrinkwrap and waste my time playing those primitive Atari clones! As a buyer of dozens of games every month, I'll be lucky if I even play Air Zonk before sending it in for VGA grading.

Nope, I just want the plain-jane set of 150+ games sold in stores to fulfill my lower-middle class childhood commodity fetish so I can throw my slab on the Youtube yardstick for a couple of years until I sell everything and get a return on my investment. The SNES library is too big and the NEO GEO is too pricy, that's why I love the TURBO!
Topic Adjourned.

TheClash603

Quote from: VestCunt on 10/02/2013, 10:20 PMBeach Boys soundtrack sung by a studio band in animal voices? Whatever, as long it increases the length and girth of my collection!
One of the most underrated pieces in the TG16 library.  I was kinda digging what you were doing and then you crossed the line.

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR.

wildfruit

I am going to go and cry in bed now whilst cuddling my yo' bro poster

VestCunt

OK, I'm kind of pissed you guys didn't tell me about a little thing called the SuperGrafx. Apparently they released a sequel to the TurboGrafx with a library of only five games? Fuck, I'll buy that. Why didn't you say so? That's even easier than the 32X set. I just scored all the games BIN on ebay for like pretty cheap. Once they come in the mail next week I'll post a sweet haul video and talk about them so you guys know which ones are good.

I'm also gonna do a "History of the SuperGrafx" video because I'm kinda a video game historian and it's interesting that they released it to compete with the Super NES. Too bad it didn't have any killer apps like Chrono Trigger because the SNES totally kicked its butt. It'll probably be a couple weeks before the video is done because I need to compare the mode 7 fx and find out how many SGX CD's they did.
Topic Adjourned.

esteban

Welcome to the forums, comrade.  :pcgs:

Your enthusiasm for TG-16 is undeniable, VestCunt.

However, I wanted to inform you that the TRUE TG-16 CONNOISSEUR goes for DOUBLE-SEALED mint, in box games. Yes, the jewel case as well as the outer cardboard box are both shrink-wrapped, separately. We have not been able to verify that all titles were double-sealed (indeed, you have to break the outer seal to verify the existence of an inner seal), so you can understand how desirable it is! Double-sealed is the rarest of rare and thus the Holy Grail.

Good luck on your quest.  Godspeed.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

You ain't a true Turbographics collector without Magical Chase (Get that first Loser) and the Laser Active Turbo pack player.

Start with LaserActive then get Magical Chase and maybe another cheapy like China Warrior or Mega Man.

You're Welcome-
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PunkCryborg

Hopefully you will meet your collecting goals! Please don't play your games too, you don't want any scratches or insertion marks on the hu cards, that will affect their future value.
Most modern day investments are too risky, your turbo collection will for sure be the safest bet.
Good luck and may your nest egg grow!!

Sparky

hahaha... nice VestCunt oh and do not dont forget this is an investment nothing more for a future nest egg, good luck!!!

geise

All the "real" information can be found here.  http://www.vggrader.com/

EDIT:  Forgot this very important page as well.  http://www.sealedgameheaven.com/

Psycho Punch

Quote from: geise on 10/03/2013, 10:37 AMAll the "real" information can be found here.  http://www.vggrader.com/

EDIT:  Forgot this very important page as well.  http://www.sealedgameheaven.com/
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

MotherGunner

You forgot the "here's a picture of something called Magical Chase but I am not sure what it's worth" showboat.

Nice done though!  Had me laughing!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

NecroPhile

Heh, this is exactly what I was thinking yesterday.  Somebody needs a Kelly avatar.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MrFlutterPie

*Slow clap*

Well done.  Had me laughing at school today :lol:

whisper2053

QuoteThis Thread
=D>

Bravo, sir. Truly well done.

ARE YOU ENTERTAINED??

:D
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

esteban

Happy Collecting/Investing fellow collectors!

I am currently negotiating a deal with Thurston Howell III for a few TG-16 gems missing from my Collection Crown.

Cross your gilded fingers!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

A Black Falcon

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: VestCunt on 10/02/2013, 10:20 PMBeach Boys soundtrack sung by a studio band in animal voices? Whatever, as long it increases the length and girth of my collection!
I admittedly got quite a laugh out of this.
--DragonmasterDan

DildoKKKobold

Don't forget, once you are done with the full set, you'll LOVE the Neo Geo. Need to keep acquiring the pretties.  Turbo... graphics? What was that?
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

VestCunt

UPDATE: I don't play my games as much as I used to, bills are tight, and I'm sad to announce that I'm selling my weeks-old, much-loved collection.  And so, I've relisted the copy of Mysterious Song that I bought from Punkic for auction. Please note that the $4,300 Punkic sold for was a friend "community price", so I'm starting bidding a bit higher on ebay: $7,000.99. Also, remember that ebay/paypal takes 20%, so I'm really not gouging on this.

In the interest of posterity and giving back to the community, I've immortalized my peni... collection in a picture archive that I will occasionally delete/make private whenever my mood goes sour so that future noobs know what a complete copy looks like before they BIN.
C-YA!
IMG
Topic Adjourned.

Sparky