Help list the hard to find PCE SHMUPS

Started by 98pacecar, 11/29/2013, 11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

98pacecar

I'm a long time shmup collector who has finally started working on the PCE titles. I did a quick count last night and found I'm at 50 right now. My goal is to have the full run of, I believe, 111.

What I'm trying to figure out is what are the titles that are difficult to find? I'm not so worried about the expense of them, just want to know which ones I should jump on when the opportunity arises.

So far, I'm blown away by the quality of shmups on the PCE and disappointed in myself that it has taken me so long to get into them. Something I am fixing ASAP!

PunkCryborg

This will help you keep track of your collection and you can filter it by shooters
http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/27/list-games-Shmups-1-0-100-name-asc-0.htm

Nexzr, Kiaidan 00, Sylphia, Tatsujin, Terra Cresta II, Coryoon, Magical Chase, 1941, Sapphire, Rayxanber III and Steam Hearts are really the only ones that are pretty expensive and the Special Version hu cards. Everything else you can pretty much get for under $50 and most for under $20

98pacecar

Thanks for the list! That will help out a ton.

I had a feeling both Sylphia and Tatsujin would be tough to get. 1941 is the Supergrafx version, right? I haven't seen where there is a PCE version, but never know for sure. Coryoon is high on my list for a quick purchase.

I assume that the prices on Magical Chase PCE have been going up in response to the TG16 version being so costly? Might be a good one to pick up quick and hopefully avoid any more price spikes.

Terra Cresta II shocks me a bit, is there a reason it's hard to get?

PunkCryborg

1941 is a Supergrafx game only.
Magical Chase can be had for about $150-200. There seems to be a lot of them out there so I haven't noticed the prices going up too much. You can save a bunch on that one and the other expensive games if you shop on Japanese sites.
As for Terra Cresta being so high I don't know why. It doesn't pop up too often so maybe there isn't a whole lot of them out there? IDK

98pacecar

That's really weird about Terra Cresta, but that's why I asked. I would have never thought it would be a tough one to get.

One more question, the list you pointed me to has 110 titles, but someone on here has 111 in their signature. Is there one that is not universally considered to be a shmup? Maybe a home-brew or something?

SuperDeadite

OMG SCHUMPS!!!!!!!

The number of games on PCE is a bit subjective.  I believe Tat's 111 is counting both Japanese versions of Magical Chase, but they are identical games.  However there are also a bunch of hidden mini-games like Cychorider, Force Gear, and that silly one in Mesopotamia.  Personally I count Cychorider as it's a must own, but not the other two.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

98pacecar

Hidden mini games?? I loves me some hidden shmups! I'll have to add them to my list. Any others I should be aware of?

Tatsujin

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 11/29/2013, 06:26 PMOMG SCHUMPS!!!!!!!

The number of games on PCE is a bit subjective.  I believe Tat's 111 is counting both Japanese versions of Magical Chase, but they are identical games.  However there are also a bunch of hidden mini-games like Cychorider, Force Gear, and that silly one in Mesopotamia.  Personally I count Cychorider as it's a must own, but not the other two.
lol, my 111th shewty in my count is in fact Cychorider on the seiya monogatari taikenban disc ;)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

98pacecar

Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/29/2013, 08:19 PMlol, my 111th shewty in my count is in fact Cychorider on the seiya monogatari taikenban disc ;)
Aha!! Yours was the sig I saw with 111! Ok, I think now I know what I'm up against.

My only real concern at this point is getting a hold of a legit Sapphire without having to jump through hoops. I don't feel like I can trust buying one without having it in my hands and seeing for myself it's all good. I guess that one will be one of the last ones I end up with.

SuperDeadite

Bootleg Sapphires are very easy to spot.  Just ask for decent pictures and you're set.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

CrackTiger

Quote from: 98pacecar on 11/29/2013, 09:49 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/29/2013, 08:19 PMlol, my 111th shewty in my count is in fact Cychorider on the seiya monogatari taikenban disc ;)
Aha!! Yours was the sig I saw with 111! Ok, I think now I know what I'm up against.

My only real concern at this point is getting a hold of a legit Sapphire without having to jump through hoops. I don't feel like I can trust buying one without having it in my hands and seeing for myself it's all good. I guess that one will be one of the last ones I end up with.
Here you go. 100% legit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GINGA-FUKEI-DENSETSU-SAPPHIRE-Galaxy-Policewoman-PC-Engine-ACD-JAPAN-Game-bbc-pe-/310737834941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48596b13bd
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

pixeljunkie

Ugh. I hope you are gonna play them as well? So sick of all the "collectors" into games these days. My "ugh" isn't directed at you personally. Rather, it made me think about the state of the "scene". I just hope you are playing the games and not just sitting them on a shelf or in a case somewhere to rot. Could I use more "quotes"?

98pacecar

Quote from: guest on 11/30/2013, 12:22 PMHere you go. 100% legit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GINGA-FUKEI-DENSETSU-SAPPHIRE-Galaxy-Policewoman-PC-Engine-ACD-JAPAN-Game-bbc-pe-/310737834941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48596b13bd
Thanks for the heads up! I prefer to have spine and reg card on the nicer stuff when possible, so I may hold out for a more complete copy. But good to know they are out there and still available.

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 11/30/2013, 03:44 PMUgh. I hope you are gonna play them as well? So sick of all the "collectors" into games these days. My "ugh" isn't directed at you personally. Rather, it made me think about the state of the "scene". I just hope you are playing the games and not just sitting them on a shelf or in a case somewhere to rot. Could I use more "quotes"?
I'm largely a player, but at a certain point there are titles that more or less end up as shelf filler. I have a bit of OCD that compels me to collect all of them even if they are known to be terrible. I will try all of them at least a couple of times, but out of 110 titles I imagine I'll end up sticking to the top xx titles when I want my fix. Not to say I never go back and try others, but given a relatively small amount of time each week to game, some will just not get played as much as others.

Lochlan

Quote from: 98pacecar on 11/30/2013, 04:16 PMat a certain point there are titles that more or less end up as shelf filler
:(
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

98pacecar

Quote from: Lochlan on 12/01/2013, 03:20 PM
Quote from: 98pacecar on 11/30/2013, 04:16 PMat a certain point there are titles that more or less end up as shelf filler
:(
I understand it's not a popular thing, but it's the reality of my available time to game anymore. With a 40+ hour a week job and a family to take care of, my time left for gaming is pretty limited compared to what it used to be. Have to take care of the important stuff before I worry about leisure time.

Sometimes I wish I had more time, but my job is what gives me the opportunity to attain the games I play and I know at some point, I will have more time and will have a nice library to dig into and enjoy. In the meantime, I'll almost always pick a title like Nexzr over a title like Deep Blue, so it stands to reason that Deep Blue will end up being filler. Not to say I won't ever try it again, but it will just have to wait until I have more time to spare.

Lochlan

I don't understand the need to hoard games you say you have neither the time nor desire to play.  Truthfully my purchasing habits are probably not terribly different from yours and I work about 50 hours a week, so I get where you're coming from when you say you'd rather spend what time you have playing good games.  That all makes sense.

The part I don't get is where you buy Deep Blue and let it rot on a shelf.  That's hoarding, and it is a disease that has turned this hobby into a checklist game for old men with too much money instead of a way to spend leisure time.  But it is your money and I can't stop you.  Actually I don't care that you do this as an individual, but this paradigm of how to engage old game collections has become the standard and it is upsetting for those of us who just want to play.  When game collecting becomes about acquisition rather than playing, something is terribly wrong.

At least you aren't one of those sealed games people, so good on you for that much I guess.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

PunkCryborg

Well you can't play all your games all the time, that's totally understandable. I too would love to own every pce shooter (or every pce game) and yeah there are lots of games that once you play through there's really not much desire to go back too. Heavy Unit, Legion, come on who really plays those games more than once. I don't think I'm denying anyone the chance to play those games as they are readily available online for sale to anyone who wants to get them.

98pacecar

Quote from: Lochlan on 12/01/2013, 04:54 PMI don't understand the need to hoard games you say you have neither the time nor desire to play.  Truthfully my purchasing habits are probably not terribly different from yours and I work about 50 hours a week, so I get where you're coming from when you say you'd rather spend what time you have playing good games.  That all makes sense.

The part I don't get is where you buy Deep Blue and let it rot on a shelf.  That's hoarding, and it is a disease that has turned this hobby into a checklist game for old men with too much money instead of a way to spend leisure time.  But it is your money and I can't stop you.  Actually I don't care that you do this as an individual, but this paradigm of how to engage old game collections has become the standard and it is upsetting for those of us who just want to play.  When game collecting becomes about acquisition rather than playing, something is terribly wrong.

At least you aren't one of those sealed games people, so good on you for that much I guess.
Wow, that escalated quickly. I have to admit, I've never been called a hoarder before and I'm not real sure how to respond to it. I guess I should be offended and see a doctor for my "disease" before it gets any worse! However, I do take offense to the accusation that I have neither the time NOR DESIRE to play many of the games I buy. Nowhere did I say that I buy games just to have them and that is very far from the truth. I play everything that enters my collection as I get it and usually end up going back at some point, though that's not an absolute. I mean, really, how many times does someone need to play Pepsiman or Superman N64 to know how bad they are? 

But, let's analyze this a bit. Say I want to see if Deep Blue really is as bad as everybody says. Should I pirate it and play it on a flash cart? Personally, I'm against that and would rather spend the few dollars to buy the game and try it legitimately. I'm not going to say that the people that would d/load the ROM and try it that way are wrong, it's just not what I would do. Could I sell it once I'm done? Sure. But I don't need to. Maybe when I have more time, I'll come back around to it. Maybe not, but it doesn't make sense to me to buy something, try it, and then sell it again immediately. Personal preference, but it is how I have operated for a long time and it has served me very well to date.

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/01/2013, 05:20 PMWell you can't play all your games all the time, that's totally understandable. I too would love to own every pce shooter (or every pce game) and yeah there are lots of games that once you play through there's really not much desire to go back too. Heavy Unit, Legion, come on who really plays those games more than once. I don't think I'm denying anyone the chance to play those games as they are readily available online for sale to anyone who wants to get them.
Ah and here is a lot of wisdom. A person can only really play 1 game at a time, so why bother owning more than 1? Now I think everybody will agree that this is a ridiculous argument and nobody is going to buy a single game, play it, and sell it before buying another one. But as Punkic says, it's not like I'm keeping these games from anybody else. I'm buying a single copy out of, in most cases, tens of thousands to play and collect. If I were one of the guys buying up every copy of some particular game, you'd have a completely legit reason to be upset. But I'm not and I have less than zero interest in doing so.

I can only think of a very small handful of games where owning a single copy makes any sort of dent in the available stock, but maybe I'm mistaken. Is there something you are thinking of that would fit this case? Did my theoretical copy of Deep Blue prevent you from buying your own? How many copies would need to be purchased before you are truly denied a chance to own one? I suspect the number is high enough that it will never come to pass and honestly, could never actually happen based on the way a free market works.

Sorry you seem so upset about this, but I don't think you have any reason to be. Everybody collects for themselves and everybody does it the way that makes them happy, or at least works for their situation. That's the great thing about collecting games, there are so many different ways to do it and none of them are any more right or wrong than any other. You travel your path, I travel mine, and every other collector travels theirs. Perhaps we have some common interests and can help each other by sharing information or recommendations, or perhaps someone just gets upset and offends someone else. I've seen it both ways, but at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how it goes down. Everybody is going to acquire games the way that they want to and do with them what they please. It's a hobby and it should be for fun, nothing more.

esteban

98pacecar, don't worry  :pcgs:

There are all different folks here. Some of us are more tolerant than others. Some of us rant occasionally (Lochlan) whilst others are set to perma-diatribe (a wonderful misfit named Zeta who, sadly, hasn't posted in a long time).

Collecting for the sake of collecting is not something we talk about "too" much here because many folks are actively playing games. 

Since you are the "new" soul who braved to join us, you may not know that many folks here have a distaste for collecting stuff (be they cereal boxes, One Direction on vinyl, or HuCARDS).

Personally, I never dismiss a game until I've tried it myself and given it an honest chance to speak to me.

I am a game whisperer.

I find pleasure in finding something to appreciate in most games....no matter how brief those moments may be.

Therefore, I have many games that I only occasionally go back to these days.

But they all occupy a special place in my engorged, possibly arrhythmic, heart.

They are my children—I couldn't bear to throw any of them away.

Even the horrid child who is insufferable and brings nothing but pain deserves a home: be it on the shelf or in my heart.

BLESSED CHILDREN, I WILL NEVER FORSAKE YOU.

(In other words, welcome, comrade! You have survived the asylum).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

VestCunt

Quote from: VestCunt on 10/02/2013, 10:20 PMHi guys! I'm new here and I LOVE the TurboGrafx shooters!

This may be hard to believe, but even though I'm a totes TURBO shooter diehard, I'm clueless regarding the extent of the library. But don't worry: I've already committed to buying everything I don't know exists and I never wanted previously. However many games shooters there are, I'll buy 'em! Six games or eight hundred and ninety-two, it doesn't matter, I need them sealed in protective cases on my shelf ASAP. Just tell me what YOU consider a set. Do those Sapphire bootlegs some guy made in his living room count? Tell me what other collectors are buying and I'll buy it too! Tats has 111 shooters, should I buy those? Do I need both versions of Magical Chase or just one? How do you spot a bootleg Sapphire? I fancy myself a collector, but I have no clue what real PCE discs look like, so please point me toward a FAQ. Is 1941 a SGX game? I HAVE NO CLUE!

I may have a family, but don't worry - money is no object. Neither is playability or enjoyment. But please, no pirating! Duplicating antique, twenty-year-old kids toys programmed by defunct/bankrupt non-human entities that once existed on the other side of the planet is WRONG. Enjoying a video game without supporting the inflated, secondary market of speculating parasites and price-gouging resellers is THEFT! You wouldn't steal a purse, would you?
I could go on.
Topic Adjourned.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Lochlan on 12/01/2013, 04:54 PMI don't understand the need to hoard games you say you have neither the time nor desire to play.  Truthfully my purchasing habits are probably not terribly different from yours and I work about 50 hours a week, so I get where you're coming from when you say you'd rather spend what time you have playing good games.  That all makes sense.

well, plain and simple game collecting doesn't even nearly equal to game hoarding. if your goal is to own every pce game, or any other game of any consoles out there, then it be so. people like to collect all kind of shit since almost ever. some can understand that behavior and some can't. you're obvioulsy coming from the latter stable. but accusing every collector to be a hoarder is as ridiculous as accusing every worker to be money-hungry.

some peeps just like to have their games around, that they won't or can't part with them, doesn't even matter how good or bad it is. they like to have it aroud like a music record/cd. obviously mostly sitting on the shelf, but when the right moment has arrived, ready to be fired up. not that much of difficult to be understand, ain't it?
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Lochlan

Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/01/2013, 09:01 PMwell, plain and simple game collecting doesn't even nearly equal to game hoarding
Sure.  And that's not what I said.  It sounds like you have a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of what I wrote.

Purchasing a game with the knowledge that you don't have the time or inclination to play it is hoarding, I don't see how that's a particularly controversial viewpoint.  I mean, the OP used the phrase "shelf filler" for Pete's sake, lol.  We can debate the ethics of such an approach until the cows come home--although I've already said how I feel here, there's no reason for me to go on with that debate.  I find playing the checklist game distasteful, you may not.  Whatever.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Lochlan on 12/01/2013, 09:43 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/01/2013, 09:01 PMwell, plain and simple game collecting doesn't even nearly equal to game hoarding
Sure.  And that's not what I said.  It sounds like you have a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of what I wrote.

Purchasing a game with the knowledge that you don't have the time or inclination to play it is hoarding, I don't see how that's a particularly controversial viewpoint.  I mean, the OP used the phrase "shelf filler" for Pete's sake, lol.  We can debate the ethics of such an approach until the cows come home--although I've already said how I feel here, there's no reason for me to go on with that debate.  I find playing the checklist game distasteful, you may not.  Whatever.
still the same object. simply buying a game for the collection is still no hoarding imho. even it isn't a game intended for much play time.

I have severals games I just fired up once for pure checking reasons. stuff like uberboring ancient japanese civil war simulations or a karaoke box "games" etc. that I bought it for only one reason of completing my pce collection. maybe i will take a closer look at those once in the future, but sure not now that i have still plenty of top tier titles to fiddle around with.

PunkCryborg

Quote from: Lochlan on 12/01/2013, 09:43 PM

why exactly did you buy magical dinosaur tour then?

98pacecar

Quote from: vestcunt on 12/01/2013, 08:09 PM
Quote from: vestcunt on 10/02/2013, 10:20 PMOh noes guys! Someone new here likeses our precious! Don't worry though, I'm going to publicly shame him by reposting something I keep stored away for occasions just like this. I'm not clever enough to write something new every time, so I just change a few bits around and make it look like it's a new post.

In reality, all I have done is admit that his goal of collecting all of the SHMUPS is one I secretly have, but deep down know I won't be able to achieve any time soon and certainly not as quick as this new guy seems to be wanting to do.

It makes me sad to see other people have things I want, but I won't work hard enough in my life to earn what I want so I just get mad about it and vent at other people that can have it. I also feel that the main reason I don't have the games I want is that the resellers insist on getting a fair market price on items that I feel I should be able to buy for next to nothing. I mean, everybody else pays the prices that games are worth or just waits until a deal that is to their liking comes along, but not me! I'm special! I'll just keep ranting about the resellers and continue to not have the things I want in life instead of trying to increase my income so that I can just buy them. It just seems so much easier that way and I know I'm entitled to it!

But I'm sure my public shaming will make him go away so only the true fans can worship at the altar of the PC Engine. I'll be sure to randomly pick apart his thread and make wild accusations and do everything I can to misrepresent what he said. I know that makes me seem more clever than I really am, hehe!
Wow kid, you need some help. But I will say it's good to see that you can admit your problems. That's the first step in getting the help you need. Best of luck with it! Maybe there's a pill for what you have?

Quote from: esteban on 12/01/2013, 06:51 PM98pacecar, don't worry  :pcgs:

There are all different folks here. Some of us are more tolerant than others. Some of us rant occasionally (Lochlan) whilst others are set to perma-diatribe (a wonderful misfit named Zeta who, sadly, hasn't posted in a long time).

Collecting for the sake of collecting is not something we talk about "too" much here because many folks are actively playing games. 

Since you are the "new" soul who braved to join us, you may not know that many folks here have a distaste for collecting stuff (be they cereal boxes, One Direction on vinyl, or HuCARDS).

Personally, I never dismiss a game until I've tried it myself and given it an honest chance to speak to me.

I am a game whisperer.

I find pleasure in finding something to appreciate in most games....no matter how brief those moments may be.

Therefore, I have many games that I only occasionally go back to these days.

But they all occupy a special place in my engorged, possibly arrhythmic, heart.

They are my children—I couldn't bear to throw any of them away.

Even the horrid child who is insufferable and brings nothing but pain deserves a home: be it on the shelf or in my heart.

BLESSED CHILDREN, I WILL NEVER FORSAKE YOU.

(In other words, welcome, comrade! You have survived the asylum).
Ah, it never takes long to drag out the loonies on a forum, both good and bad.  I'd be disappointed if there weren't a few nuts around to keep it interesting. I'm not sure how folks can have games without, by default, having a collection. But I appreciate the heads up and I'll try to keep it to a minimum here. I've always considered myself a player first, but a collector as well. No sense having games if you don't play them!

The signal to noise ratio seems really good here and I'm enjoying digging through the old threads. A lot of really good, focused info and just the right amount of lunacy to keep it fun!

98pacecar

Quote from: Lochlan on 12/01/2013, 09:43 PMSure.  And that's not what I said.  It sounds like you have a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of what I wrote.

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what I wrote. Where did I say I buy games to be shelf filler? I did say that by default, some will end up that way. But nowhere did I say I buy games with the intent for them to be shelf filler. I'm just willing to admit that with so many games to choose from, some will get played less than others and some will likely just be played once or twice. If I'm not negatively affecting my family (I'm not) and I'm not negatively affecting you (still would like to hear how that's possible), what does it matter what I do with my games?

Lochlan

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/01/2013, 10:03 PMwhy exactly did you buy magical dinosaur tour then?
It came in a lot with other games.

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/01/2013, 10:08 PMWhere did I say I buy games to be shelf filler? I did say that by default, some will end up that way. But nowhere did I say I buy games with the intent for them to be shelf filler.
Lol!

98pacecar

Quote from: Lochlan on 12/01/2013, 10:14 PM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/01/2013, 10:03 PMwhy exactly did you buy magical dinosaur tour then?
It came in a lot with other games.

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/01/2013, 10:08 PMWhere did I say I buy games to be shelf filler? I did say that by default, some will end up that way. But nowhere did I say I buy games with the intent for them to be shelf filler.
Lol!
So you can't point it out? Please enlighten me, I'd love to see it! Oh wait, let me guess... My response to vestcunt hit a little too close to home for you and you don't have the anything intelligent to keep your little rant going?

In fact, let's do this. Here is the entire bit where I first talk about shelf filler..

Quote from: 98pacecar on 11/30/2013, 04:16 PM
Quote from: pixeljunkie on 11/30/2013, 03:44 PMUgh. I hope you are gonna play them as well? So sick of all the "collectors" into games these days. My "ugh" isn't directed at you personally. Rather, it made me think about the state of the "scene". I just hope you are playing the games and not just sitting them on a shelf or in a case somewhere to rot. Could I use more "quotes"?
I'm largely a player, but at a certain point there are titles that more or less end up as shelf filler. I have a bit of OCD that compels me to collect all of them even if they are known to be terrible. I will try all of them at least a couple of times, but out of 110 titles I imagine I'll end up sticking to the top xx titles when I want my fix. Not to say I never go back and try others, but given a relatively small amount of time each week to game, some will just not get played as much as others.
So again I ask, where do I say I buy games with the intent to be shelf filler?

That, my friend, deserves an LOL!

Lochlan

Well when you said you buy games and they end up being shelf filler, and you implied that you knew with certain games that would end up being the case (such as Deep Blue), that lead me to believe that you buy games with the knowledge that they will be shelf filler.  And this is in your thread about acquiring a checklist of games.  I guess you can deflect my arguments with semantic acrobatics, but I think we both know what is going on here.  Anyway, I already said what I wanted to say, I don't have anything to add to this topic.

Again, my beef isn't with you per se, it's more an overall disappointment with the direction this hobby has taken for most people who have an interest in it.  And I'm not perfect, I'm guilty of some of these obsessive/hoarding tendencies as well.  I have an insane backlog of games myself.  But I think that setting out to do what you've described in this thread shows a love for acquisition over a love for games.  And when you start tossing around terms like "shelf filler" I just had to say something, it bothered me.  Whether or not you agree is up to you.  I think Vestcunt's reply nailed it, I couldn't have put it better.

Good luck buying all the games, I genuinely hope that you find it to be a fulfilling pursuit.

98pacecar

Quote from: Lochlan on 12/01/2013, 10:40 PMWell when you said you buy games and they end up being shelf filler, and you implied that you knew with certain games that would end up being the case (such as Deep Blue), that lead me to believe that you buy games with the knowledge that they will be shelf filler.  And this is in your thread about acquiring a checklist of games.  I guess you can deflect my arguments with semantic acrobatics, but I think we both know what is going on here.  Anyway, I already said what I wanted to say, I don't have anything to add to this topic.

Again, my beef isn't with you per se, it's more an overall disappointment with the direction this hobby has taken for most people who have an interest in it.  And I'm not perfect, I'm guilty of some of these obsessive/hoarding tendencies as well.  I have an insane backlog of games myself.  But I think that setting out to do what you've described in this thread shows a love for acquisition over a love for games.  And when you start tossing around terms like "shelf filler" I just had to say something, it bothered me.  Whether or not you agree is up to you.  I think Vestcunt's reply nailed it, I couldn't have put it better.

Good luck buying all the games, I genuinely hope that you find it to be a fulfilling pursuit.
I think we had a misunderstanding. My intent is never to buy something specifically as shelf filler. However, it does happen as there's just x amount of time to play and I'm constantly adding new titles. It's a byproduct of buying new games without selling the old ones. I do know people that buy stuff they have no intention of ever playing, but I'm not like that. Especially with shmups, both good and bad. Given limited time I have found them to be a great way to have something I can play for less than an hour and feel like I accomplished something. If I were buying RPGs, you'd have every right to criticize as I know upfront I won't be playing them. My reason for starting this thread was purely to figure out what is hard to get. You can't really rely on pricing being an indicator of rarity and for some reason, the PCE has only been on my radar for the past few months. I'm just trying to learn, but that has turned out to be a bit more trying than it should have been.

I get having frustration with the hobby. There is a lot of negative that I have seen in current years that didn't exist when I started and it has taken some of the fun out of being a game fanatic. Some of it is understandable, some of it is not. But take a step back and realize that all you have done is make yourself look rather inflexible to someone that doesn't know if you are just kidding or being serious. In the end, it doesn't really matter, but I know I'd much rather fellow forum members had a positive opinion of me than a negative. Maybe that's just me and I'm too old school, but being that way has served me very well and I have made a lot of close friends through this hobby. Many share my collecting habits/beliefs and many do not, but I wouldn't have many of those friends if I attacked people that differ in opinion from me.

I'm sure this collection, much like the others I have built or am still working on, will be a great ride. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be doing it. 

VestCunt

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/01/2013, 10:04 PM
Quote from: "VestCunt" on 10/02/2013, 10:20 PMIt makes me sad to see other people have things I want, but I won't work hard enough in my life to earn what I want so I just get mad about it and vent at other people that can have it. I also feel that the main reason I don't have the games I want is that the resellers insist on getting a fair market price on items that I feel I should be able to buy for next to nothing. I mean, everybody else pays the prices that games are worth or just waits until a deal that is to their liking comes along, but not me! I'm special! I'll just keep ranting about the resellers and continue to not have the things I want in life instead of trying to increase my income so that I can just buy them.
Boy are you barking up the wrong tree.
Topic Adjourned.

98pacecar

Quote from: guest on 12/02/2013, 04:14 AM
Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/01/2013, 10:04 PM
Quote from: "vestcunt" on 10/02/2013, 10:20 PMIt makes me sad to see other people have things I want, but I won't work hard enough in my life to earn what I want so I just get mad about it and vent at other people that can have it. I also feel that the main reason I don't have the games I want is that the resellers insist on getting a fair market price on items that I feel I should be able to buy for next to nothing. I mean, everybody else pays the prices that games are worth or just waits until a deal that is to their liking comes along, but not me! I'm special! I'll just keep ranting about the resellers and continue to not have the things I want in life instead of trying to increase my income so that I can just buy them.
Boy are you barking up the wrong tree.
Prove it big man.

rtyper

I don't have a problem with collectors, because I'm one myself.
Got into the pce around 1989 and was collecting for it after other people had moved onto the 32bit systems. Still picking up the odd items that I missed courtesy of my Everdrive that is revealing all the hidden gems. I've picked up a fair few games that I can't see myself indulging very often: Darius Alpha, Sapphire, Gunhed Special, Fiend Hunter to name a few and anyone who has a problem with that....tough.  :-({|=
I don't have a high paid job, look after myself and pay my own bills.
I don't drink or smoke and if YOU do, don't try to lecture others on 'wasting' THEIR money. I realised fairly soon that getting the things you want takes some sacrifices.
I like looking at the PCEngine games that I've bought  8-[, but they don't sit on a shelf, god forbid!!
Too much risk of sun-fading, so they are kept in CD drawers or stored in boxes. I have quite a few Megadrive games as well, though not as many as I would like  :wink:. Mainly shooters along with other highly rated (BY ME) games, I've never been too fussed about the Snes.  :^o
I'm well aware of the prices of these items on ebay etc and a lot are well over the top. But even these will eventually sell because collectors won't be feeding these games back into ciculation and supply will effectively 'dry up'.
Supply and demand eh? Good old capitalism.

:twisted:

pixeljunkie

I think this whole thing 98, is that you came in fresh with "Tell me the rarez omg expensive titles to get" which will always have a negative connotation. I'm sure you aren't much different than most of us in terms of collecting PCE goodies, it's really a matter of tact or semantics I think. I also think there was a flaw in your question, as "HTF" is defined by you as you look for a game you want to play based on screens/revies/videos. Rather than looking for a game purely based on its rarity or value.

Welcome to the club and good luck on your search, the PCE is an amazing shmup console. The best, in my opinion.

The love for this console you'll find here is also the same passion you've seen on this thread. I don't think anyone is nuts or booger eaters from what I can tell. There's just that moment when you wince at reading someone new looking to get "teh rarez" and want to chime in with a tale of caution in terms of the culture here.

98pacecar

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 12/02/2013, 11:08 AMI think this whole thing 98, is that you came in fresh with "Tell me the rarez omg expensive titles to get" which will always have a negative connotation. I'm sure you aren't much different than most of us in terms of collecting PCE goodies, it's really a matter of tact or semantics I think. I also think there was a flaw in your question, as "HTF" is defined by you as you look for a game you want to play based on screens/revies/videos. Rather than looking for a game purely based on its rarity or value.

Welcome to the club and good luck on your search, the PCE is an amazing shmup console. The best, in my opinion.

The love for this console you'll find here is also the same passion you've seen on this thread. I don't think anyone is nuts or booger eaters from what I can tell. There's just that moment when you wince at reading someone new looking to get "teh rarez" and want to chime in with a tale of caution in terms of the culture here.
Thank you for the balanced assessment of my original post. My goal was actually to try and take the cost factor out of it based on past experience of expensive games not always being rare. In reading it again, I can see that I may have left that a bit open to interpretation. Not sure that merits the attacks, but eh, it happens and it's not worth worrying about. I was fortunate to get some very helpful answers, so it's all good!

NecroPhile

If price isn't a concern, none of 'em are particularly hard to find.  Have you heard of eBay?  Every title mentioned thus far is available, even Darius Alpha.

As for the rest of this fool's argument: grow up, 98, or at least grow a thicker skin.  Being called a hoarder is not highly offensive, especially not after you said yourself that you're a bit OCD about collecting.  Vestcoat hit the nail on the head, as you seemingly know jack shit about the PCE or any of the games yet gotta get 'em all, but who cares?  Be proud of your nonsensical reasons to want something (It's rarez? BIN!!!), and ignore those of us that buy games for crazy reasons like thinking they look fun.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

98pacecar

Quote from: guest on 12/02/2013, 12:04 PMIf price isn't a concern, none of 'em are particularly hard to find.  Have you heard of eBay?  Every title mentioned thus far is available, even Darius Alpha.
Ah, but see, you just confirmed the very reason I started this thread. Yes, Darius Alpha is legitimately rare and very expensive, but it's steady availability on ebay keeps it from being hard to get. I am interested in knowing which titles rarely come available, a big difference. Money isn't a factor in that, some will be expensive and some will be cheap. I suppose if one is willing to just throw stupid cash at people until someone sells, everything is always available, but that's not how I operate.
Quote from: guest on 12/02/2013, 12:04 PMAs for the rest of this fool's argument: grow up, 98, or at least grow a thicker skin.  Being called a hoarder is not highly offensive, especially not after you said yourself that you're a bit OCD about collecting.  Vestcunt hit the nail on the head, as you seemingly know jack shit about the PCE or any of the games yet gotta get 'em all, but who cares?  Be proud of your nonsensical reasons to want something (It's rarez? BIN!!!), and ignore those of us that buy games for crazy reasons like thinking they look fun.
My response on the hoarder comment was a joke. Trust me, if I was offended by it, that would be made clear. Though I will disagree that Vestcunt hit the nail on the head, that was nothing more than a rant from a simple mind based on not even enough information to call it limited. You yourself say I "seemingly know jack shit about the PCE". How do you or he know that? Maybe I do, maybe I don't. But asking questions of those that are considered "in the know" is never a bad thing, or at least it shouldn't be.

I've given my reasons for purchasing and enjoying shmups. I've made it clear that I play what I buy, but I'm also realistic about how I do it. If that makes me a bad person, well, that's fine. Plenty of people like me and plenty of people hate me. Life goes on and I'll continue enjoying games regardless of what others think I should be doing.

NecroPhile

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 12:33 PMAh, but see, you just confirmed the very reason I started this thread. Yes, Darius Alpha is legitimately rare and very expensive, but it's steady availability on ebay keeps it from being hard to get. I am interested in knowing which titles rarely come available, a big difference.
Like I said, NONE of the 110 shewties are particularly hard to find.  The 'special' HuCARDs and Darius Alpha have the smallest print runs, yet they're all available; the Seiya Monogatari mook (Tats's #111) is probably the hardest to find, but even it shows up multiple times in the course of a year on eBay and yahoo japan.

If money IS a factor, then they're a bit harder to find at a fair price.  The rarest/priciest titles are almost always readily available but often only at inflated BINs that sit unsold for weeks on end.

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 12:33 PMMy response on the hoarder comment was a joke. Trust me, if I was offended by it, that would be made clear.
But of course.  I always go back and forth for a couple pages to argue a 'joke', bringing out the personal insults for more lulz.

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 12:33 PMThough I will disagree that Vestcoat hit the nail on the head, that was nothing more than a rant from a simple mind based on not even enough information to call it limited. You yourself say I "seemingly know jack shit about the PCE". How do you or he know that? Maybe I do, maybe I don't.
I base it on you asking for a list of hard to find shewties, which anyone with a deep knowledge of the system (or the ability to use Google) would be able to figure out on their own.

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 12:33 PMI've given my reasons for purchasing and enjoying shmups. I've made it clear that I play what I buy, but I'm also realistic about how I do it. If that makes me a bad person, well, that's fine. Plenty of people like me and plenty of people hate me. Life goes on and I'll continue enjoying games regardless of what others think I should be doing.
And the smart man would leave it at that, instead of trying to convince others that only his opinion is correct.

98pacecar

Quote from: guest on 12/02/2013, 01:12 PMLike I said, NONE of the 110 shewties are particularly hard to find.  The 'special' HuCARDs and Darius Alpha have the smallest print runs, yet they're all available; the Seiya Monogatari mook (Tats's #111) is probably the hardest to find, but even it shows up multiple times in the course of a year on eBay and yahoo japan.

If money IS a factor, then they're a bit harder to find at a fair price.  The rarest/priciest titles are almost always readily available but often only at inflated BINs that sit unsold for weeks on end.
And see, there is good information that is not on the lists that show up when you Google. In fact, until Tat mentioned that title I would have not known it fit my criteria. If I hadn't asked, would I have eventually known? Maybe. Being that it fits the criteria of why I started this thread, it's a huge help to me.

Quote from: guest on 12/02/2013, 01:12 PM
Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 12:33 PMMy response on the hoarder comment was a joke. Trust me, if I was offended by it, that would be made clear.
But of course.  I always go back and forth for a couple pages to argue a 'joke', bringing out the personal insults for more lulz.
The personal insults came out after Vestcunt took a swing at me. I'd say my conversing with Lochlan stayed more above the belt and didn't devolve into personal attacks and ended with at least me understanding and appreciating his point of view. He may not agree with me on that, but that's for him to decide. I'm more than willing to apologize to Vestcunt for my attack if he is willing to do the same. But jumping someone for asking a question you don't like is not a good way to be and I won't just sit there and take it.

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 12:33 PMThough I will disagree that Vestcunt hit the nail on the head, that was nothing more than a rant from a simple mind based on not even enough information to call it limited. You yourself say I "seemingly know jack shit about the PCE". How do you or he know that? Maybe I do, maybe I don't.
I base it on you asking for a list of hard to find shewties, which anyone with a deep knowledge of the system (or the ability to use Google) would be able to figure out on their own.
And that's a fair stance. It's wrong as pointed out above. The lists on the net vary in quality and none of them give me the information I was looking for. From what I can tell, even the list stickied in this very forum is missing at least one title past the one Tat gave me. Again, why not ask and find out for sure?

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 12:33 PMI've given my reasons for purchasing and enjoying shmups. I've made it clear that I play what I buy, but I'm also realistic about how I do it. If that makes me a bad person, well, that's fine. Plenty of people like me and plenty of people hate me. Life goes on and I'll continue enjoying games regardless of what others think I should be doing.
And the smart man would leave it at that, instead of trying to convince others that only his opinion is correct.
That is my only real mistake here. Of course, the irony of the others here (yourself included) doing the exact same thing is not lost on me.  :lol: (edit: forgot to add a smiley so it's clear I'm joking)

pixeljunkie

98pacecar

NecroPhile

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 01:55 PMAnd see, there is good information that is not on the lists that show up when you Google. In fact, until Tat mentioned that title I would have not known it fit my criteria. If I hadn't asked, would I have eventually known? Maybe. Being that it fits the criteria of why I started this thread, it's a huge help to me.
And that's a fair stance. It's wrong as pointed out above. The lists on the net vary in quality and none of them give me the information I was looking for. From what I can tell, even the list stickied in this very forum is missing at least one title past the one Tat gave me. Again, why not ask and find out for sure?
Because that's not what you asked.  Asking "What're teh rarez so I can snatch 'em up and not miss out?!?" is miles away from "Besides the 110, what other games have shewty goodness hidden inside?"

Besides Cychorider, there's other games that have hidden shewties (Somer Assault) or at least shewty stages (Fray and Shockman).  There should be a thread somewhere that lists 'em all, or at least as many of 'em as we could come up with.

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 01:55 PMThat is my only real mistake here. Of course, the irony of the others here (yourself included) doing the exact same thing is not lost on me.
And yet I've made no comment one way or the other about whether or not you should buy "shelf sitters".  I've got quite a few myself (one trip through Magical Dinosaur Tour was more than enough), so I'm obviously not entirely against it, but don't let that stop you from continuing to argue your 'joke'.

PS - If you really want to lock this thread, do it.

CrackTiger

QuoteThe personal insults came out after Vestcoat took a swing at me.
If you actually look at what he posted, it's a quote from two months ago about people who want to buy every game, even though they are unfamiliar enough with the library to have to ask what games are "worth", before blindly paying what they believe to be "fair market value".

The only game you should be on the look out for to snatch up before it's gone is the English version of Magical Chase. It's not simply a translation of the PCE version and has unique graphics. Air Zonk also has some artistic changes. There is a thread around here that details some of the other differences between TG-16 and PCE versions of games. Sinistron and Psychosis for example have different order of stages.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

98pacecar

Quote from: guest on 12/02/2013, 04:16 PM
Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 01:55 PMAnd see, there is good information that is not on the lists that show up when you Google. In fact, until Tat mentioned that title I would have not known it fit my criteria. If I hadn't asked, would I have eventually known? Maybe. Being that it fits the criteria of why I started this thread, it's a huge help to me.
Because that's not what you asked.  Asking "What're teh rarez so I can snatch 'em up and not miss out?!?" is miles away from "Besides the 110, what other games have shewty goodness hidden inside?"
Please, show me where I asked for "teh rarez". I honestly want to know, no BS, no hidden agenda, I want to see what it is I said that led you to believe that is what I was asking for. I honestly don't see it myself.

I asked for titles that are hard to find, that does not imply rare or even expensive. As you yourself pointed out, Darius Alpha, arguably one of the rarest titles on the system, is readily available. So it is not hard to find despite being rare and expensive. My question was what titles are hard to find. Nothing more, but some of the folks sure read more into it. 

Quote from: guest on 12/02/2013, 04:16 PMBesides Cychorider, there's other games that have hidden shewties (Somer Assault) or at least shewty stages (Fray and Shockman).  There should be a thread somewhere that lists 'em all, or at least as many of 'em as we could come up with.
A couple of folks were kind enough to point out that there are hidden shmups as well and that was very much appreciated. Clearly it's something I'd be interested in, so it started another conversation that was beneficial. I've just gotten more information from you and I do appreciate it. All I'm trying to do here is learn.

Quote from: guest on 12/02/2013, 04:16 PM
Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 01:55 PMThat is my only real mistake here. Of course, the irony of the others here (yourself included) doing the exact same thing is not lost on me.
And yet I've made no comment one way or the other about whether or not you should buy "shelf sitters".  I've got quite a few myself (one trip through Magical Dinosaur Tour was more than enough), so I'm obviously not entirely against it, but don't let that stop you from continuing to argue your 'joke'.

PS - If you really want to lock this thread, do it.
This thread isn't about shelf sitters. It's about "teh rarez" I guess. Not my intent, but that's how it's gone. And from where I'm sitting, I'm not arguing "my joke". As I said, as far as I know Lochlan and I have reached a level of agreement, even if it is a disagreement. He was the only person that said anything about hoarding (leading to the joke). I replied, we batted it back and forth, and left it in a somewhat peaceful state.

Yes, Vestcunt and I have not taken the time to "settle" things, but if he wants to, I'm here and more than willing. That's between he and I and doesn't involve anybody else.

Either way, I'd prefer this thread lived on to discuss what my intent was, but it looks like that's just not going to be possible.

esteban

EPILOGUE: Every soul at pcenginefx is holding hands as a consensus is reached—"We can learn to live with one another and be civil! We really can! Yay!"

And from that moment forward, the gentle breeze of tranquility swept through the forums.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 04:47 PMPlease, show me where I asked for "teh rarez". I honestly want to know, no BS, no hidden agenda, I want to see what it is I said that led you to believe that is what I was asking for. I honestly don't see it myself.

I asked for titles that are hard to find, that does not imply rare or even expensive.

As you yourself pointed out, Darius Alpha, arguably one of the rarest titles on the system, is readily available. So it is not hard to find despite being rare and expensive. My question was what titles are hard to find. Nothing more, but some of the folks sure read more into it. 
Are you a troll or just an maroon?  I can't tell.  The dictionary definition of rare is "coming or occurring far apart in time; unusual; uncommon", which is entirely analogous to 'hard to find'.

Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 04:47 PMEither way, I'd prefer this thread lived on to discuss what my intent was, but it looks like that's just not going to be possible.
How so?  You already have your answer, so what else is there to discuss?  If you (or anyone else) thinks I'm wrong, please head over to eBay and/or Yahoo Japan and prove me wrong; I did check most of the games mentioned thus far on eBay, and the Seiya Monogatari mook is the only one that didn't have a current listing.

98pacecar

Quote from: esteban on 12/02/2013, 04:48 PMEPILOGUE: Every soul at pcenginefx is holding hands as a consensus is reached—"We can learn to live with one another and be civil! We really can! Yay!"

And from that moment forward, the gentle breeze of tranquility swept through the forums.
Followed by the sound of Neo-Geo.com finally going thermonuclear due to the imbalance in the force!

CrackTiger

The only reason the Anearth Fantasy Stories demo doesn't come up for sale often in English circles, is because of the low demand. It usually rots on eBay, even at lower than what those who are aware of it consider to be fair market value.

98pacecar

Quote from: guest on 12/02/2013, 06:10 PM
Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 04:47 PMPlease, show me where I asked for "teh rarez". I honestly want to know, no BS, no hidden agenda, I want to see what it is I said that led you to believe that is what I was asking for. I honestly don't see it myself.

I asked for titles that are hard to find, that does not imply rare or even expensive.

As you yourself pointed out, Darius Alpha, arguably one of the rarest titles on the system, is readily available. So it is not hard to find despite being rare and expensive. My question was what titles are hard to find. Nothing more, but some of the folks sure read more into it. 
Are you a troll or just an maroon?  I can't tell.  The dictionary definition of rare is "coming or occurring far apart in time; unusual; uncommon", which is entirely analogous to 'hard to find'.
Really? Now you are going to start spewing personal attacks after admonishing me about the same? 

Ok, so I guess we will just have to disagree. I've been doing this long enough to understand that even though something is not rare, it can be difficult to find (Final Fantasy 7 during the early 2000s). I also understand that being rare does not imply that it will be hard to find (Darius Alpha now). Dictionary definition aside, it's how it is in the real world and that's why I came to where the people that follow the market hang out.

Quote from: guest on 12/02/2013, 06:10 PM
Quote from: 98pacecar on 12/02/2013, 04:47 PMEither way, I'd prefer this thread lived on to discuss what my intent was, but it looks like that's just not going to be possible.
How so?  You already have your answer, so what else is there to discuss?  If you (or anyone else) thinks I'm wrong, please head over to eBay and/or Yahoo Japan and prove me wrong; I did check most of the games mentioned thus far on eBay, and the Seiya Monogatari mook is the only one that didn't have a current listing.
I don't think I've said to anybody that I think they are wrong. Even throughout the shit slinging, I'm still getting good info.