The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

AES or MVS?

Started by ToyMachine78, 08/31/2014, 10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToyMachine78

Thinking about taking the Neo Geo plunge. Like Joe says.... What good is money? Lol

I'm on the fence though... What is the best option? The AES hardware and software is expensive. I can get a sweet 4 Slot MVS cabinet locally for $900. And a consolized MVS is more expensive than the AES hardware, yet the games are cheaper...

What us the best way to enter the neo geo scene? I even considered the neo geo X.... Ewweeeee....

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/31/2014, 10:16 PMThinking about taking the Neo Geo plunge. Like Joe says.... What good is money? Lol

I'm on the fence though... What is the best option? The AES hardware and software is expensive. I can get a sweet 4 Slot MVS cabinet locally for $900. And a consolized MVS is more expensive than the AES hardware, yet the games are cheaper...

What us the best way to enter the neo geo scene? I even considered the neo geo X.... Ewweeeee....
Don't.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ToyMachine78

Quote from: esteban on 08/31/2014, 10:19 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/31/2014, 10:16 PMThinking about taking the Neo Geo plunge. Like Joe says.... What good is money? Lol

Don't.
Why so?

bob

SNK

Also, this thread is going to summon Evol like saying Candyman three times in a mirror.
Please abort.

synbiosfan

The ng forums were flooded with noob complaints that bought the ngx. A modded psp is muchbetter.

I went aes (sold it) then kept my mvs and ngcd. MVS is cheaper than aes. The ngcd plays cdrs but the load times can be annoying.

cobrad12

I have owned both AES and MVS stuff in the past but sold it and got out about 10 years ago. If you really just want to play the games on original hardware MVS all the way. If you really like collectable stuff that will break your bank account AES.

Most really must own neogeo games are not that pricey on MVS relative to AES unless you are collecting full arcade kits. You can be paying easily $300 and up for decent AES games.

As far as hardware goes, when I had a MVS setup instead of getting a consolized one, I just invested in a good supergun and then got the board. If you look around you can find ones that even can support AES and neo geo cd pads. Then you can also hook up jamma, CPS2, etc, although getting into arcade pcbs is also slippery expensive slope.

PukeSter

Used to own a neo geo CDZ, load times sucked.

Aes games are too expensive, and MVs games look ugly.

Just buy a wii or wii u, and use the virtual console.

Joe Redifer

I have only played one MVS outside of the arcade and it was friggin' mono. Not sure what was up with that. But for me the AES performs better. It runs closer to a broadcast legal spec whereas the MVS is slower for some bizarre reason. It doesn't need to be, but it is. You won't notice it, but your electronics might. Mine sure did.

People will tell you MVS left and right because its cheaper but make no mistake, MVS owners are still a very elitist bunch just like AES owners. It's just that MVS owners seem to be filled with more hate towards AES owners than AES owners have towards MVS owners. MVS guys really, REALLY hate the AES.

I really wish there was an AES Everdrive. This would make the Neo Geo community's brains explode. Good. I'd be fine with that.

98pacecar

Split the difference and go with a consolized mvs like the Omega. Video quality is great and you can buy the cheaper, yet identical versions of the games. The initial hardware purchase will be more than the aes, but it more than makes up for it after a couple of games. Once you have a unibios in the mix, there really isn't much difference between mvs and aes other than packaging and cost.

o.pwuaioc

Get the various ports. The original stuff is overrated. For non-fighters, a NGCD is just fine.

jtucci31

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/01/2014, 12:06 AMI have only played one MVS outside of the arcade and it was friggin' mono. Not sure what was up with that. But for me the AES performs better. It runs closer to a broadcast legal spec whereas the MVS is slower for some bizarre reason. It doesn't need to be, but it is. You won't notice it, but your electronics might. Mine sure did.

People will tell you MVS left and right because its cheaper but make no mistake, MVS owners are still a very elitist bunch just like AES owners. It's just that MVS owners seem to be filled with more hate towards AES owners than AES owners have towards MVS owners. MVS guys really, REALLY hate the AES.

I really wish there was an AES Everdrive. This would make the Neo Geo community's brains explode. Good. I'd be fine with that.
The AES on its own is just mono I believe..? But I'm sure modding to S-Vid or even RGB would be the obvious solution. And then with the unibios installed, you'd be set in terms of AES stuff.

But the elitism from both sides makes it difficult to decide what's best. And the NeoGeo community in general seems intimidating. An AES everdrive would be amazing.

BlueBMW

I had AES for a few months.... Sold it and stuck with just MVS and CD.   AES looks cool but is hardly worth the price of admission.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guest on 09/01/2014, 12:44 AMThe AES on its own is just mono I believe..?
It's stereo.

TR0N

Only AES if you're filthy rich but if not then a CMVS is the way to go.I Never play a ngcd,so i can't give any advice on it.In the end a cmvs pay's itself off since you don't spend a fortune on games.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TheClash603

I was a big AES supporter a few years ago, because the high priced games seemed to be only the Metal Slugs (which could be found in 100 other places) and a handful of rare fighting games.  However, it seems that even common AES games are now all selling for $100+.

It was less than 5 years ago I bought my AES stuff and I have over 40 games and a lot of them are really great.  I am a big beat-em-up fan, which I why I bought the AES.  Other than Sengoku 3 which was too expensive even then, I bought most of my games for reasonable prices.  Now games like Robo Army, Mutation Nation, Sengoku 2, and Cyber Lip are selling for absurd prices.

Maybe a AES + 161-in-1 cart?  I have been thinking about getting one of those.

PunkCryborg

You are pretty late to the game.... Even though MVS is still cheaper in most cases, all the CMVS guys have drove MVS carts way up. You can still get an MVS board cheap and do a CMVS mod yourself and just get a multi cart. Rest of the games not on the multi are usually the  carts that are becoming more expensive so good luck.

ccovell

As above, get a cheap MV-1F -- it accepts AES/CD joysticks easily, has a switch and header on the motherboard for stereo audio, and takes up very little space.  I got a 1F for about $30-$40, and a couple of multicarts for $70-$100.  Heresy, but I don't care.

Of course, this route means you have to make a power supply and video cables/encoder yourself, but is the convenience worth $900?

PunkCryborg

Even the encoder you get pre made from jrok or neobitz so all you would need is the psu really. super easy

CrackTiger

Stick with MVS. An AES system will require a bunch of mods to be worthwile and in the end will cost at least as much as a decent CMVS. MVS carts tend to be cheaper as well and there are lots of multi-game carts to use to try out games before dropping a lot of money on them.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ToyMachine78

Hmmm.... Thanks guys. That gives me quite a bit to think on. Ill prob stay away completely or go with the 4 slot cabinet. I've been wanting an arcade cab for a while. The 4 slot comes with 4 games, and if I get the 161n1 it seems like the best deal for $900. I could prob sell the 4 games in the thing and get the multi cart to offset the price quite a bit.  After all most single game cabs are $900 +.

One other question.... Are there any hidden costs to owning a cabinet?

PunkCryborg

That's a lot of money for a 6 slot though.... For $900 it better be mint/restored and come with some expensive games. $400 is about right for a 4 slot and up to $600 if it's loaded with some decent games

ToyMachine78

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 09/01/2014, 12:06 PMThat's a lot of money for a 6 slot though.... For $900 it better be mint/restored and come with some expensive games. $400 is about right for a 4 slot and up to $600 if it's loaded with some decent games
It comes with Aereo Fighters 2, samurai showdown, metal slug, and king of fighters.

Cab is in great shape. New sticks, buttons, and overlays, and refurbished monitor.

The price seems fair. There are cheaper units on eBay, but they are still around $500-600 for a 2-3 slot, plus I would have to pay freight.

PunkCryborg

still way too much im sure you can know the price down a third easily. Those are all pretty common games too.

bust3dstr8

Quote from: guest on 09/01/2014, 11:51 AMOne other question.... Are there any hidden costs to owning a cabinet?
Yes....your sanity :p
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

johnnymad

I was considering getting into neogeo recently. Looked into the Neogeo Gold X but decided not to. Recently discovered a lot of the SNK games were ported into a Wii collection and I can always mod my PSP. Going with one of those options. Quality will be crap on the Wii though so maybe the latter will be the best choice.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: bust3dstr8 on 09/01/2014, 08:29 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/01/2014, 11:51 AMOne other question.... Are there any hidden costs to owning a cabinet?
Yes....your sanity :p
That's already questionable lol :)

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/01/2014, 05:25 AMI was a big AES supporter a few years ago, because the high priced games seemed to be only the Metal Slugs (which could be found in 100 other places) and a handful of rare fighting games.  However, it seems that even common AES games are now all selling for $100+.

It was less than 5 years ago I bought my AES stuff and I have over 40 games and a lot of them are really great.
Even then, the $50, $60, $75 games were still too much for my taste. I'd much rather put that money into Turbo games.

bust3dstr8

I agree with Cy that $900 is a bit high for that cab, but sometimes having the stuff all ready done for you is worth the premium price. Depending on where you are you can wait months or years to find a decent deal just to have the flyback or something else shit out on you two weeks later.

If you go by current market for the stuff your looking at...($400 for a good cab-if the EL panels work it's a goddamn miracle, $150 for monitor rebuild, $150 for the games and $50 for new controls)....so shoot the guy a $750 offer and see if it sticks.
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

Dicer

IF I were to take the plunge, I'd go CMVS...

AES Consoles/Games are more eye pleasing...but CMVS is just so much more economical, and some CMVS's look pretty damned slick...in the end it's about the software on the cart, not the cart itself.

PunkCryborg

Only costs would be if something failed like the monitor or pcb which does happen on these old cabs. You will be doing more than just turn it on and play it. If you dont have any electronics experience now you will after owning one. You will need to learn how to trace wires, read voltages, adjust color and video pots, read basic diagrams but that can all be fun to learn
One thing though I can advise is don't jump on the first cab you see if the cab or deal are not up to what you are looking for at the price. You can find a better one if you are patient

pulstar

Quote from: bust3dstr8 on 09/01/2014, 09:21 PMI agree with Cy that $900 is a bit high for that cab, but sometimes having the stuff all ready done for you is worth the premium price. Depending on where you are you can wait months or years to find a decent deal just to have the flyback or something else shit out on you two weeks later.

If you go by current market for the stuff your looking at...($400 for a good cab-if the EL panels work it's a goddamn miracle, $150 for monitor rebuild, $150 for the games and $50 for new controls)....so shoot the guy a $750 offer and see if it sticks.
This. Especially if it's your first cabinet. You want it to work and not have to mess about with it in a months' time. Yeah the cab is a little on the expensive side, but if the monitor has just been refurbed (new flyback/caps, tweaked etc) then you should be good for a while.

I dumped my AES for MVS about two years ago because the AES games were just breaking the bank, and I've never looked back to be honest. With the money I got from selling the AES stuff I got a six slot cabinet and quite a few carts of games that I would never own on AES (Metal Slug, Sengoku 3 etc).
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

majors

Quote from: guest on 09/01/2014, 11:51 AMThe 4 slot comes with 4 games, and if I get the 161n1 it seems like the best deal for $900. I could prob sell the 4 games in the thing and get the multi cart to offset the price quite a bit.  After all most single game cabs are $900 +.

One other question.... Are there any hidden costs to owning a cabinet?
Is your location driving the price up? MVS cabs have been fairly easy to source from $100-300 in my area via CL and arcade auctions. I'd recommend a 1-slot...not like you gonna play 4 games at once plus you get JAMMA out of the box. I know everyone that starts cab collecting want's a four slut...you might not be persuaded to go that route, but at least I said it. I've not been keeping up on prices, but a local cab collector made a comment about the rise of MVS carts recently.

As for hidden cost, the only one I know is that you cannot just get one cab...it's like tattoos.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

jeffhlewis

As someone who started MVS then sold everything and converted to AES, I can say without hesitation that you should either:

1.) Get a pre-built CMVS like the Omega
2.) Bite the bullet and buy an MVS 4-Slot cabinet (or a 6-slot if you find a good deal)

If this was six years ago I might tell you to go AES but the prices have just gotten out of hand. Even the common games are trending north of $100 each. For comparison, six years ago you could get Magician Lord, SamSho 1&2 and some Art of Fighting games as a package deal for $100...hell my initial AES setup with system, 3 CIB games and a controller was $150.

Anything sought after for the AES (Last Blades, later KOF's, Metal Slugs, Garou) are damn near unattainable unless you shell out some serious coin. Which is silly when those games are easily available on other platforms or on MVS for a fraction of the price.

The one thing that I will say is that the AES looks sweet, the game boxes/carts are badass and the system is very easy to mod (I did S-Video / AV / UniBios self-install with very little experience at the time).

MVS cabs though are really where it's at - it's the format that the games were intended to be played on and frankly it's one of the best arcade cabinets ever made. I slammed quarters into those things for years and years growing up.

MrFulci

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 09/02/2014, 01:31 PM............

The one thing that I will say is that the AES looks sweet, the game boxes/carts are badass and the system is very easy to mod...............
MVS is nice enough. Just buy some Shock boxes, and art, if you wan tit to look pretty or so you can figure out what the Japanese labels on the cart are for. Either way, depending on how much money you want to spill, there are options out there for NG.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

jeffhlewis

Quote from: MrFulci on 09/02/2014, 01:37 PM

The one thing that I will say is that the AES looks sweet, the game boxes/carts are badass and the system is very easy to mod...............
MVS is nice enough. Just buy some Shock boxes, and art, if you wan tit to look pretty or so you can figure out what the Japanese labels on the cart are for. Either way, depending on how much money you want to spill, there are options out there for NG.
Very true - the shock boxes are nice with the printed inserts. I still have Fatal Fury and Neo Turf Masters MVS on my shelf with BigBear's (NG.com) original Shock Boxes. *Cough* they're available for sale *cough*

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/01/2014, 12:06 AMI have only played one MVS outside of the arcade and it was friggin' mono. Not sure what was up with that. But for me the AES performs better. It runs closer to a broadcast legal spec whereas the MVS is slower for some bizarre reason. It doesn't need to be, but it is. You won't notice it, but your electronics might. Mine sure did.

I wouldn't say I hate AES owners....

I just can't affored AES games lol.......

well okay I have like two AES games (the cheapest of the cheap) and that one system that was region moded I bought of the Neo Geo Forums a few years ago....

No Totally Joe if a EverDrive was made that worked for either AES/MVS "systems" I'd be all over that.

It would make my one-slot MVS board so happy ...........and I wouldn't have to condend with those (okay but kinda crudy) 101 MVS carts......I say kinda crudy becuase you can't select what is in them, and alot of it is ROM hacked junk.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 09/02/2014, 01:45 PM

Very true - the shock boxes are nice with the printed inserts. I still have Fatal Fury and Neo Turf Masters MVS on my shelf with BigBear's (NG.com) original Shock Boxes. *Cough* they're available for sale *cough*
I kind of liked those cardboard boxes that one guy in the UK was or possibly still is making for the MVS carts.  They were snug, took up less space, and had a cleaner look.

I never bit the bullet on them though, as I kept waiting for a sumer sale, or some sort of bundle as I am cheap......then I sorta forgot all about them until just now.

Hummm.....

Did anyoen on the Neo Geo Forums ever make those sticker sets for the sides of the boxes for the game art/covers?

I tend to remember a fourm member toying with the idea to add a little jazz to it all...but I don't recall ever seeing any finished products...

MrFulci

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/02/2014, 02:37 PM
Quote from: jeffhlewis on 09/02/2014, 01:45 PM

I kind of liked those cardboard boxes that one guy in the UK was or possibly still is making for the MVS carts.  They were snug, took up less space, and had a cleaner look.

I never bit the bullet on them though, as I kept waiting for a sumer sale, or some sort of bundle as I am cheap......then I sorta forgot all about them until just now.

Hummm.....

Did anyoen on the Neo Geo Forums ever make those sticker sets for the sides of the boxes for the game art/covers?

I tend to remember a fourm member toying with the idea to add a little jazz to it all...but I don't recall ever seeing any finished products...
I just remember the guy ymmmmmvs, that people used to joke about digging carts out of the trash. They played fine, at least for me.

I like the shockboxes, and some art. Good idea. Not much more to say about it, than that, other than I don't like bears. Scary, ate my parents, and all (Big Bear. Fill in the blanks.)
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

bust3dstr8

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/02/2014, 02:37 PMI kind of liked those cardboard boxes that one guy in the UK was or possibly still is making for the MVS carts.  They were snug, took up less space, and had a cleaner look.

Hummm.....

I believe it was Chris at Windygaming doing them. You buy the cases needed and he included a CD with all of the spine images.
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

BlueBMW

MVS carts have a nifty hardcore look to them:

/mvs2_zpsf3f60916.jpg
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Medic_wheat

Wasnt metal slug 5 on the atomic wave?

ToyMachine78

Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/02/2014, 04:11 PMMVS carts have a nifty hardcore look to them:

IMG
Show off lol:)

BlueBMW

This could be you!  If you go MVS that is.... ;)

Joe Redifer

No Sengoku 3? Filthy casual.

BlueBMW

TR0N

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/02/2014, 05:51 PMWasnt metal slug 5 on the atomic wave?
MS5 neo-geo,MS6 is the one on the sammy,atomiswave.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SuperDeadite

As stated, it's a bit too late to get into the AES game for normal people.  Haven't bought a new cart in roughly 4 years or so...   I love the shooties.

IMG

And the Slugs, gotta have the Slugs!

IMG

I have quite a few more, these are all old pics.

IMG
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

TheClash603

The major reason i am anti-AES is the boots.

I am not totally opposed to paying a high price for an AES game, but I am 90% that all of the high priced games out there now are fake.  That is the one reason I refuse to pick up Sengoku 3 to complete my beat-em-up collection, I fear being swindled.

SuperD, that's very nice1

SuperDeadite

The sad part is that for a long time Sengoku 3 was the number 1 sac cart for making boots.  The Neo Store had massive lot of them, people bought them and used them to convert into other games, now legit Sengoku 2001/3 is almost impossible to get.  Never selling mine, though to be honest I prefer Sengoku 2.  2001 is a very purdy game, but feels a bit too repetative imo.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

jeffhlewis

Deadite: On the plus side, if you ever need to put up a down-payment for a house, there you go.