@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PC-FX replacement foam

Started by Filler, 08/12/2015, 02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filler

FYI: I'm starting up a business, primarily an online store where I'm planning to carry a lot of video game collection related items such as protective bags, replacement cases and such. Would you guys be interested in replacement foam for big box PC-FX games? Specifically:

How many do you think you'd order?
What would you expect them to cost?

I'm also sizing resealable protective bags that the big box games can be "slipped" into. Is this anything you would be interested in?

Feel free to move this to the Sales forum if more appropriate. Thanks!

Mednafen

Can you offer assurances that the foam won't cause any damage due to unreacted monomers/plasticizers/leftover solvents or degradation byproducts over time?

Filler

Quote from: Mednafen on 08/12/2015, 03:16 PMCan you offer assurances that the foam won't cause any damage due to unreacted monomers/plasticizers/leftover solvents or degradation byproducts over time?
Yes, that is certainly my intention, and I'll confirm with the provider that the foam is safe to be in proximity with other items such as the paper manuals in the case. Though that also raises the question of how healthy the current foam spacers are in those games. The thinner, lighter colored ones in my games have yellowed over time.

NecroPhile

Heh, and your name is "filler".  How apropos.  :mrgreen:

I think all my games still have good foam, but I'm not sure I'd bother replacing 'em if they were gone.  Do they do anything?  I definitely wouldn't be interested in the bags, seeing as dust and cheeto prints wipe off the plastic case just fine as is.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: Mednafen on 08/12/2015, 03:16 PMCan you offer assurances that the foam won't cause any damage due to unreacted monomers/plasticizers/leftover solvents or degradation byproducts over time?
Hmmm... something classified as "archival quality" (for lack of a better term) + inert (for lack of a better term)...

I suggest natural lace baggies :)

IMG

Of course, I don't replace anything myself.

But if I did...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

Your better off cutting up archival quality bubble wrap into little squares and selling it at Neo-Geo.com. The people here who aren't too poor to waste money on junk like this are usually too smart for it too. This foam was for shipping purposes. It has no use. Furthermore, even if you sold them for a dollar a collector would still lose money since the majority of FX games are...not expensive. I'll put it that way.
IMG

Aggie Tsubi

Hmm, I think all of my big box games came with the foam to begin with, and even if any were missing, I doubt I'd bother to replace them. As for plastic bags, while the idea of keeping dust from building on top of my games is nice, it eliminates the convenience of just popping the cases open. I think plastic baggies make more sense for regular jewel case games since then you can at least keep the obi against the spine if you want, plus jewel cases sometimes wear out and don't hold shut well anymore.

If I could replace anything, I'd go with the big boxes themselves. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the plastic covers often aren't attached to the box well. Far too many of my games have the seam attaching them partially torn, with a corner of the cover flapping loose.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Aggie Tsubi on 08/12/2015, 05:35 PMIf I could replace anything, I'd go with the big boxes themselves. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the plastic covers often aren't attached to the box well. Far too many of my games have the seam attaching them partially torn, with a corner of the cover flapping loose.
Same here; none of mine are horrible, but a couple are tore along the edge.  I'd also be interested in replacements of the 1.5x sized jewel cases that a couple games used (some PCE ones too), as a couple of mine are kinda rough.  Standard and double jewel cases are easy to find, but I've not found any place peddling the inbetweener.

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 08/12/2015, 05:45 PM
Quote from: Aggie Tsubi on 08/12/2015, 05:35 PMIf I could replace anything, I'd go with the big boxes themselves. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the plastic covers often aren't attached to the box well. Far too many of my games have the seam attaching them partially torn, with a corner of the cover flapping loose.

Same here; none of mine are horrible, but a couple are tore along the edge.  I'd also be interested in replacements of the 1.5x sized jewel cases that a couple games used (some PCE ones too), as a couple of mine are kinda rough.  Standard and double jewel cases are easy to find, but I've not found any place peddling the inbetweener.
All of this, especially the 1.5 ies.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Filler

Quote from: Aggie Tsubi on 08/12/2015, 05:35 PMIf I could replace anything, I'd go with the big boxes themselves.
This would be great, but a much bigger project. I think it's pretty cheap to get some foam cut, but a custom box like that would probably be a sizable expense. Definitely a bigger risk. There would have to be clear demand.

Quote from: guest on 08/12/2015, 05:45 PMI'd also be interested in replacements of the 1.5x sized jewel cases that a couple games used (some PCE ones too), as a couple of mine are kinda rough.  Standard and double jewel cases are easy to find, but I've not found any place peddling the inbetweener.
I agree. I'll be trying to source these at some point. I have a manufacturer in mind.

NecroPhile

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/12/2015, 03:55 PMThis foam was for shipping purposes. It has no use. 
I looked at mine last night and see the foam's purpose: to hold the manual upright and flat.  Without the foam, the manuals would slump and warp over time unless the games were stored on their sides.

wildfruit

I think some styrofoam for an ifu would go down a treat for when i move house.

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/13/2015, 09:56 AMI think some styrofoam for an ifu would go down a treat for when i move house.
Hmmm, that must be an expression we don't use across the Atlantic..."go down a treat"...hmmmm...

wildfruit

Quote from: esteban on 08/13/2015, 09:57 AM
Quote from: wildfruit on 08/13/2015, 09:56 AMI think some styrofoam for an ifu would go down a treat for when i move house.
Hmmm, that must be an expression we don't use across the Atlantic..."go down a treat"...hmmmm...
Would be a real good whizz
Top banana
Smashing
Fantastic
Nice
Blue waffle etc

turboswimbz

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/13/2015, 09:59 AM
Top banana
Smashing
Fantastic
Nice
Blue waffle etc
do people really use any of those . . .

IN esteban land we just curse a bunch then say "Forgatta bout it"
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

xcrement5x

Quote from: filler on 08/12/2015, 09:14 PM
Quote from: Aggie Tsubi on 08/12/2015, 05:35 PMIf I could replace anything, I'd go with the big boxes themselves.
This would be great, but a much bigger project. I think it's pretty cheap to get some foam cut, but a custom box like that would probably be a sizable expense. Definitely a bigger risk. There would have to be clear demand.

Quote from: NecroPhile on 08/12/2015, 05:45 PMI'd also be interested in replacements of the 1.5x sized jewel cases that a couple games used (some PCE ones too), as a couple of mine are kinda rough.  Standard and double jewel cases are easy to find, but I've not found any place peddling the inbetweener.
I agree. I'll be trying to source these at some point. I have a manufacturer in mind.
Yeah, cutting foam is quite cheap and simple to do.  I make my own SegaCD/Saturn MEGA FOAM inserts occasionally and they are nice to have.  If you're selling foam blocks I'd hope they would be cheap before shipping, like 50c or so. 

esteban

Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/13/2015, 08:36 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 08/13/2015, 09:59 AM
Top banana
Smashing
Fantastic
Nice
Blue waffle etc
do people really use any of those . . .

IN esteban land we just curse a bunch then say "Forgatta bout it"
Fahghetta bout it.