PC-FX in March 1995 review book

Started by SamIAm, 01/20/2016, 09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamIAm

Taking a break from Xanadu, I'm looking at a book from a seasonally published series in Japan called simply "Game Reviews" (ゲーム批評). Mine is from Spring 1995. Here are a couple of notes:

- They give props to the PCE-CD for being the first CD system and introducing voice, animated scenes, and other things. However, they criticize the core system as having mostly "lightweight" material.

-NEC talks about giving the PC-FX expansions that will enhance it to the same extent that the CD system enhanced the PCE. "Expansion" is a word that comes up again and again. Yet, when pressed, the rep admits that there are no concrete plans yet for anything. The writer even assesses that the expandability built into the system might explain why it costs more than the PS1 and Saturn even though it's not as powerful.

- NEC and the writer spend a lot of time emphasizing the relationship to the PC-98 series of computers. Note that this was the sunset period for that system, as the "Windows running on a box of thrown-together parts" approach was set to take over. NEC says vague things about the PC-FX being a bridge to or a distilled version of some of the multimedia experiences on the PC-98.

- The NEC rep says that he hears gamers suggest using popular (licensed?) characters/franchises to sell the system, however, there were apparently anime-games on the Duo which fans clamored for but then did not buy in large numbers. Therefore, they are going to focus on originality more, and he gives Battle Heat as an example.

- They're still talking up the PC-FX's FMV capabilities like it's something that really sets it apart. Talking about the potential for making actual games, the rep mentions mixing FMV with board games.

- Current sales are 70,000 systems sold, although that's in a different section and unsourced. The NEC guy says they haven't manufactured very many systems yet, so please don't compare sales numbers. That might be a lie, because in 1994, NEC said they expected to sell 800,000 systems in the first year.

- The NEC guy kind of admits that they put out a system because they sort of had to, since everyone else was, too. The writer later compares this to what happened with the Supergrafx.

- In a later discussion section that's only among writers, they open the PC-FX discussion with "Is anyone buying this thing?". They point out that with all the talk of PC-98 connectivity/development kits and things, they feel like they don't really know what this system "is" yet. They also say frankly that it seems like NEC is half-assing everything. (Indeed, compared to what I see in the sections about the Saturn and PS1, the PC-FX seems to have no direction. Rather, it's a promise of a unique direction in the future.)

-Team Innocent is "hard to control, and the characters and backgrounds don't blend well." "It obviously takes influence from Alone in the Dark, which was on the 3DO among others, and is an improvement of the idea."

- Battle Heat has "unappealing characters" and is missing many important components of a fighting game.

That's about all!

It's a really good book, though. They talk about the 32X, 3DO and Jaguar, as well as all kinds of things related to the direction of video games. 1995 was quite a year in gaming history, and you can definitely sense that reading this.

incrediblehark

Thanks for posting this! I found it to be very interesting look into Japanese gaming from the start of the 32 bit era. I like going back and reading stuff like this in my old mags and reflecting on what was, and what speculation actually came to be.

While I have to say I much prefer the way the PCE-CD handles its cutscenes over actual FMV, when I first played the PC-FX I was surprised at how much smoother video was compared to other consoles from  the same time period, at least without upgrades.

The parts about NEC's lack of direction definitely shows, which is unfortunate. They surely never would have beaten the Playstation but could have handled the situation better. As bad a rap as Sega gets in the US for their run with the Saturn, NEC did far worse in Japan with the PC-FX it seems.

SamIAm

Glad you liked it. :)

Quote from: incrediblehark on 01/20/2016, 10:40 PMWhile I have to say I much prefer the way the PCE-CD handles its cutscenes over actual FMV, when I first played the PC-FX I was surprised at how much smoother video was compared to other consoles from  the same time period, at least without upgrades.
There might be a bit of placebo effect happening there, though. All PC-FX FMV is 256x240 or less, and the vast majority of it is 12fps. The compression artifacts aren't much better than the competition, either, although it's definitely better than most first generation Saturn stuff. If you compare Der Langrisser side-by-side with the PS1 port, it's essentially the same in terms of quality.

elmer

Quote from: SamIAm on 01/20/2016, 09:12 PMThey give props to the PCE-CD for being the first CD system and introducing voice, animated scenes, and other things. However, they criticize the core system as having mostly "lightweight" material.
As much as I love the PCE ... I lean toward that sentiment myself.

As a cartridge system, it was soon eclipsed by its competition ... but as the first CD console, it was absolutely groundbreaking in the immersive story-telling experience that it brought to gamers, and it was unrivaled in it's generation (I don't have much respect for the Sega CD).

QuoteNEC talks about giving the PC-FX expansions that will enhance it to the same extent that the CD system enhanced the PCE. "Expansion" is a word that comes up again and again. Yet, when pressed, the rep admits that there are no concrete plans yet for anything.
Oh dear.

"Please buy it now, it's going to be marvelous when we eventually release the 3D add-on", isn't exactly a winning strategy.  #-o

QuoteIt's a really good book, though. They talk about the 32X, 3DO and Jaguar, as well as all kinds of things related to the direction of video games. 1995 was quite a year in gaming history, and you can definitely sense that reading this.
Thanks, this is all very interesting!

Quote from: incrediblehark on 01/20/2016, 10:40 PMWhile I have to say I much prefer the way the PCE-CD handles its cutscenes over actual FMV ...
Me, too.  :wink:

As much as the anime in something like Zeroigar is wonderful, it has a very different look to the in-game visuals ... and I find the transition a little bit jarring.

Which is why developers eventually stopped using video cutscenes and went to scripted in-engine cutscenes instead.

Quote from: SamIAm on 01/20/2016, 10:58 PMThere might be a bit of placebo effect happening there, though. All PC-FX FMV is 256x240 or less, and the vast majority of it is 12fps. The compression artifacts aren't much better than the competition, either, although it's definitely better than most first generation Saturn stuff. If you compare Der Langrisser side-by-side with the PS1 port, it's essentially the same in terms of quality.
Given that the PlayStation and the PC-FX are both using almost-identical motion-JPEG compression, and both have almost-identical data bandwidth from their 2x CD drives ... that's not too surprising.  :-k

SamIAm

Quote from: elmer on 01/20/2016, 11:55 PMAs much as I love the PCE ... I lean toward that sentiment myself.

As a cartridge system, it was soon eclipsed by its competition ... but as the first CD console, it was absolutely groundbreaking in the immersive story-telling experience that it brought to gamers, and it was unrivaled in it's generation (I don't have much respect for the Sega CD).
The figure I've seen for Sega CD system sales in Japan is 400k total, while the PCE-CD was about 2 million.

I remember seeing an article about the upcoming Sega CD in a PCE magazine. They were kind of in awe of the extra hardware it added, but they also reassured users that the PCE-CD had an established base and lots of good software that would keep it afloat...and they were exactly right.

QuoteOh dear.

"Please buy it now, it's going to be marvelous when we eventually release the 3D add-on", isn't exactly a winning strategy.  #-o
They were in a tough spot in 1995, with an unpopular item to market, terrible sales numbers, and terrible third party support. Hudson mostly abandoning them made things even worse. On the cover of the book, it says "Where do NEC's real intentions lie?". Unfortunately, it seems as though their real intentions were not to put much investment into the system, but perhaps that was for the best.

QuoteThanks, this is all very interesting!
Sure!

Other points of interest so far:

- Sega of Japan says that everything new they make is going on the Saturn, while the 32X is going to get ports of old arcade games. This is quite different from Sega of America's portrayal of the 32X as a budget gateway into the next generation.
-They say a typical Super Famicom game costs about 2.5 million dollars to make, including advertising and manufacturing 50,000 carts.
-Umihara Kawase, a game I really like, apparently sold 100,000 copies on nothing but word of mouth.
-The Jaguar is cast in a shockingly positive light. "Genius engineers", "Cool architecture" "Hardcore 'American' games." 2000 systems sold in Japan. There's a long article about 3D shooters, and much time is spent talking about Alien vs. Predator.

QuoteGiven that the PlayStation and the PC-FX are both using almost-identical motion-JPEG compression, and both have almost-identical data bandwidth from their 2x CD drives ... that's not too surprising.  :-k
Somewhere out there must be an interview with an NEC rep where the interviewer confronts them about this. I'd really like to see it.  :wink:

NightWolve

Interesting read. :)

Quote from: SamIAm on 01/21/2016, 02:54 AM-The Jaguar is cast in a shockingly positive light. "Genius engineers", "Cool architecture" "Hardcore 'American' games." 2000 systems sold in Japan. There's a long article about 3D shooters, and much time is spent talking about Alien vs. Predator.
lol

NecroPhile

Interesting read.  Thanks for sharing.

I don't buy their argument that they didn't know what the expansion(s) would be, seeing as the 3D hardware is in the GA things.  Maybe what he really meant was they didn't know what it should have been, knowing that what was planned wasn't really competitive.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SamIAm

You're certainly right in that they had had the chip itself "in the can" for quite a long time by then. But I think what he was emphasizing was that they didn't have it packaged into a real product, with a price set and manufacturing lined up, etc.

xcrement5x

Quote from: SamIAm on 01/21/2016, 02:54 AMThe figure I've seen for Sega CD system sales in Japan is 400k total, while the PCE-CD was about 2 million.

I remember seeing an article about the upcoming Sega CD in a PCE magazine. They were kind of in awe of the extra hardware it added, but they also reassured users that the PCE-CD had an established base and lots of good software that would keep it afloat...and they were exactly right.
Wow, that is a really low number of sales for the Mega-CD in Japan.  I know it did much better in the US but I had no idea the disparity.  I supposed it makes sense it would have a lower number due to the middling success of the MegaDrive in general in Japan.

I love the Sega/Mega CD but the strengths of the PCE CD are clearly apparent to anyone with eyes, the software library alone dwarfs the MegaCD before you even talk about specs.

guyjin

Quote from: SamIAm on 01/21/2016, 02:54 AM-The Jaguar is cast in a shockingly positive light. "Genius engineers", "Cool architecture" "Hardcore 'American' games." 2000 systems sold in Japan. There's a long article about 3D shooters, and much time is spent talking about Alien vs. Predator.
Frikkin' oobaeews.

esteban

Quote from: guyjin on 04/17/2016, 12:37 PM
Frikkin' oobaeews.
Jaguar was the original Xbox!

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG