OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

"The PC-FX: A Devotional Film" (Dec, 2009)

Started by PCEngineFX, 12/09/2008, 11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

IMG

I am proud to announce that a new devotional film dedicated to the NEC PC-FX 32-Bit video game console has now been released.  Nothing on this scale or production level has ever been done for the PC-FX and most likely never for any other game console outside of official promos.

The idea behind The PC-FX Devotional Film was simple - create a never-before-seen, high-production and powerful film that the PC-FX so rightly needed...but to make the film stand out from the rest it had to be special - so after 4 days of all live-action filming, 60GB of 1080i HD footage and applying professional filming & camera motion techniques, I have a finished film that does the PC-FX console justice.

This has been a long time coming and after many dozens hours of production work on the film I'm proud to release it for all to see.   Watch the film and post your questions or comments here - I'd love to hear from you.

TRAILER (added 12/15)
The PC-FX Devotional Film (trailer)

FILM
ORIGINAL CUT (previously unreleased)
ORIGINAL CUT & RELEASED FILM (side-by-side edit compare)
Enjoy!
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG

Sensei

That is excellent.  Good work!  I can't wait to see the final product.

drdre

Arms installation is complete....good luck

PCEngineFX

The topic has been updated with day 3 production notes & more behind-the-scenes photos of the shoot.  Final edit is now under review.
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6201.0
IMG

PCEngineFX

Updated thread with the final LIVE video!
IMG

MotherGunner

Downloading now, btw Aaron, I PMed you a while ago.  =)
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

guyjin

I said it before and I'll say it again:

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Ceti Alpha

IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Joe Redifer

Quote from: AaronNothing on this scale or production level has ever been done for the PC-FX and most likely never for any other game console outside of official promos.
I respectfully disagree.  Official promos have NOTHING on this.  This beats them all in pure class.  Now all you need is a super-cheesy one which uses models who have never touched a videogame if you want to compete on that level as well.  :)

Windancer

Great stuff! it's blow you away good Aaron. I loved it keep it up!

SuperDeadite

Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

DJLobo

Early to bed, early to rise gives a man no social life. - Yakko Warner

majors

Sweet, real slick production value. Thanks Aaron and crew.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

PCEngineFX

Thanks to all who have responded and enjoyed the film!

I've added a 30s trailer for the film in 720p & 1080i Windows Media as well as up on YouTube (see #1 post).
IMG

Duo_R

how about 1080i for the entire film???? I am going to watch the 720p version on the "box" tonight....  =D> =D> =D>
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

NEC Avenue

PCEngineFX

Yep, a 1080i version is coming...be a little bit as the machine is rendering other projects at the moment.
IMG

spenoza

Tres cool. My only complaint is that sometimes it seems the camera doesn't have as sharp focus as it could. Now, more game footage! Butt kicking for goodness!

PCEngineFX

I'm thinking as this video went over so well that there might be an encore presentation film with more game footage...we'll see.
IMG

Joe Redifer

That would be great.  It could be something like "The Games of the PC-FX" or whatever.  How many games are there total?  Be sure to feature each one (that would be a chore, but still)!  And we know who will be providing the music.  :)

Press_Run

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 12/16/2008, 04:19 PMI'm thinking as this video went over so well that there might be an encore presentation film with more game footage...we'll see.
It IS great and enjoyable to watch. You have truly proved your "geekiness" beyond a doubt.  =D> Love to have seen more gameplay footage. Also, I wonder how does stand up to other systems during that time (i.e. Playstation).

I was wondering what kind of editing software to do you use cause your video looks very professional.

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/16/2008, 04:53 PMThat would be great.  It could be something like "The Games of the PC-FX" or whatever.  How many games are there total?  Be sure to feature each one (that would be a chore, but still)!  And we know who will be providing the music.  :)
There are about 64 games, but I won't be featuring them all that is for sure (film must fit within one song).  I already have the perfect song picked out for a sequel film, again from Ayumi Hamasaki.  It will have system shots and game footage like the 1st film, but with an entirely different look.

Quote from: Press_Run on 12/16/2008, 06:27 PMI was wondering what kind of editing software to do you use cause your video looks very professional.  
Thank you.  The film looks professional because of how I utilize the tools at my disposal, not really because of the editing software...but I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 for editing with Magic Bullet Looks for color correction and post effects.  Of course the post-production process is only as good as the footage shot, so for filming I use a Sony FX1 HDV video camera, Lowel Tota hot-lights w/umbrellas and 10'x20' photography backdrops.
IMG

jboypacman

Fantastic film! Great Work can not wait to see more films like this in the future. :D

Sinistron

Pure sex- as I suspected.  I realized that I was holding my breath the whole time waiting for a "money shot".   :shock:

Nothing less than the height of professionalism.  =D>  Superb work, Mr. Nanto.
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

NecroPhile

Very, very cool.  I loved the dark shot where only the power and busy indicator lights are on/blinking (it's alive and thinking!).  Well done, High Chief PC-FX.  =D>

How did you infill the side bars on the widescreen display?  Did you shoot it twice (once for 'normal' and once for 'stretched') and stick 'em together, or did you do it all in post-production.  However it was done, it looks mighty cool and much better than plain ol' black/gray bars, though a 4:3 screen might've been even better.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineFX

QuoteHow did you infill the side bars on the widescreen display?  Did you shoot it twice (once for 'normal' and once for 'stretched') and stick 'em together, or did you do it all in post-production.  However it was done, it looks mighty cool and much better than plain ol' black/gray bars, though a 4:3 screen might've been even better.
I first recorded the PC-FX footage into the computer at 4:3, then I created 2 layers of the footage in post which one layer was the original 4:3 footage, and the 2nd layer was resized to 16:9 and blurred out.  I then had to export all of the game footage to a 16:9 DVD which was then replayed on the HDTV while being filmed.
IMG

Sensei

As expected, it was very slick, polished, and well made.  To me it felt like a love letter "To PC-FX from Aaron".

I agree with a previous comment, this is way better than any of the actual advertising was for the PC-FX.

Good choice of song by Ayumi Hamasaki.  "Rainbow" fits perfectly.  If you do a game montage video I think "Real me" or "Evolution" would work well because they both have both slow and fast parts to showcase the different types of games.

Keep up the great work!

PCEngineFX

I suppose it was a love letter from me to the FX - I think that fits pretty well!

I have some good news - I am already in pre-planning stages for my next film which will feature all of the NEC consoles together as one big "love letter" (PCE/TG/PC-FX).  I won't be using an Ayumi track but an absolutely beautiful classical orchestra piece I just found....it's seriously might bring a tear to your eye.
IMG

Sensei

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 12/18/2008, 12:57 AMI suppose it was a love letter from me to the FX - I think that fits pretty well!

I have some good news - I am already in pre-planning stages for my next film which will feature all of the NEC consoles together as one big "love letter" (PCE/TG/PC-FX).  I won't be using an Ayumi track but an absolutely beautiful classical orchestra piece I just found....it's seriously might bring a tear to your eye.
That's great news!

I am looking forward to it.   :D

Joe Redifer

I am wondering why the PC-FX video isn't on the site's main page.

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/18/2008, 01:01 AMI am wondering why the PC-FX video isn't on the site's main page.
Because I've been too lazy to update it :P
IMG

nat

Great product & very professional, as always. Aaron always brings the A-game for his video work.

Joe Redifer

About time you showed up.

Now for Keranu....

orphicviper

Just watched it, and though I am by no means a professional critic, all I can say is "WOW!!".  Your passion comes through loud and clear, actually had a tear in my eye after watching this!

Excellent job!!

PCEngineFX

(HD 720p available)

Film description
pcengine-fx.com presents, a Aaron Nanto film: "The NEC PC-FX: A Retrospect". Featuring the 32-Bit NEC PC-FX game console and games, this film takes you on a unique journey of what this rare console is all about.

Shot during December 2009 in 1080i/30 @ 16:9 aspect ratio with the Sony HDR-FX1. Post processing & finishing done with Adobe CS4 Master Collection. Camera rigs used: 8' Studio 1 Jib Arm, Bogen / Manfrotto 501 Pro Video Fluid Head Tripod, self-made 10' dolly & 3' Glidetrack HD Camera Slider.

For people on the forum, this is a total re-edit of the "The PC-FX: A Devotional Film" which I released here back in late December 2009.  In a rare case, I was unable to upload the original film to YouTube back then and wanted to make it available for more people to see as well as improve the edit/presentation.  Enjoy!
IMG

awack

This was the best one yet, great camera work and editing.

Joe Redifer

Tell me about your self-made dolly.  Also, I like your fonts.

The original video file has a date of September 2009, not December.  :)

PCEngineFX

The dolly was quite easy...made it years ago out of a 4x4 piece of plywood, 8 skateboard wheels (2 on each corner) and two 10' PCV pipes from Home Depot for the dolly to track on.
IMG

Joe Redifer

I need to build myself something like that.  It works very well for your videos.  I have a Steadicam, but no dolly.

esteban

GORGEOUS!

1) I loved the first shot of the software, where camera is in tight on box, but then you pull back and see rows of games in background and foreground. There is a great sense of depth in this sequence! :)  You have a similar shot later (but the games are stacked) and it's as if the camera is traveling backward and down a temple of games. Very nice depth there as well.

2) I would have loved if you stuck an "NEC" badge over the VIZIO tag on the television :)

3) I think the game footage meshes nicely with the "still life" shots of the hardware/software artifacts. I think it was great to film from the TV, it really works well, and reminds us that the PC-FX is a CONSOLE to be played in our living rooms and not emulation from a computer.

4) When the lid on the CD-ROM drive closes, I realized that your PC-FX was self-aware! Suddenly, I cringed and was haunted by visions of HAL 9000.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tolvatar

Impressive video. Very very nice. I love the devotion of Aaron Nanto for this great machine

trap15

A masterpiece!  =D>
Now whenever I hear that song, all I can think of is PC-FX :)
Just a couple more shots desu.

tggodfrey

That is just amazing work, you really are amazing with video.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

lumicus

Wow,I think I won't want to miss it .Just look forward to it.

PCEngineFX

Fixed links and added original un-released edit & side-by-side comparison.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 11/04/2014, 01:51 AMFixed links and added original un-released edit & side-by-side comparison.
Interesting. IMG

It needs more Hany.

Otherwise, I have no complaints.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

handyman907

SuperPlay