Pricey games

Started by soop, 04/10/2018, 05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soop

I've been filling in a few gaps in my collection recently, and everything I can find about pricey games is pretty old, though obviously there are a lot of constants.  I understand there was some kind of price increase in 2014?  Anyway, I'll make a quick list to satisfy my curiosity and help snagging any bargains.  I'll generally try and list stuff that sells for over £100.

Hucards:
Magical Chase
Tatsujin
Soldier Blade Special
Gunhed special
Darius Alpha
Bonk 3 special
Coryoon
Geshika Boy
Power League Gold
Final Soldier Special
Bomberman '93 special
Yokai Dochouki gold
Hana Taka Daka
Terra Cresta II
21 Emon Mezase
Mizubaku Daibouken

CD
Sapphire
Dracula X
Sylphia
Kaze Kiri
Faussete armour
Double Dragon II
Dead of the Brain
Renny Blaster
Steam Hearts
Bazzaru de Gozzaru no gemu de gozarru
The TV Show
Horror Story
Terraforming
Super Real Mahjong teh rarez naughty version
River City Ransom
Madou Monogatari
chiki chiki boys

Laser Active
Vajra 2
Akuma no Shinban
Zippang

That's it off the top of my head, did I miss anything?
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Flare65

Renny Blaster

Steam Hearts

Dragon Knight & Graffitti

Ninja Gaiden complete in case with instructions might be up there on price as well.

Not sure what the two Macross games go for these days...

SuperDeadite

Bazzaru de Gozzaru no gemu de gozarru
teh TV Show

and I think you mean 1941, not 1942 :P
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

soop

Quote from: Flare65 on 04/10/2018, 09:18 AMRenny Blaster

Steam Hearts

Dragon Knight & Graffitti

Ninja Gaiden complete in case with instructions might be up there on price as well.

Not sure what the two Macross games go for these days...
Nice, thanks for that.  I'll do some digging

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 04/10/2018, 09:20 AMBazzaru de Gozzaru no gemu de gozarru
teh TV Show

and I think you mean 1941, not 1942 :P
gah, I always get that wrong. 

Updated.  Macross seems pretty cheap, but that's quite a hefty list.

Trenton_net

Horror Story is also an expensive game now.

NecroPhile

Some missing ones: Final Soldier and Bomberman '93 special hueys, Yokai Dochouki and Power League gold hueys, Madou Monogatari, Terra Cresta II, whichever Super Real Mahjong is teh rarez naughty version, the six kids games for the ten key thingy, and some of the LA games (Vajra 2, Akuma no Shinban, Zapping, and ?).

Some that're getting there and will go over $150 on a bad day: Aldynes, Double Dragon II, Hana Taka Daka, and Terraforming.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

soop

Thanks - yeah I remember looking at Aldynes and being baffled that it had gone from about £20 to like £80.  I will update

PukeSter

The River City Ransom remake is very, very pricey, easily $150+. Shame more people haven't tried it.

All those late CD-Rom Capcom ports by NEC Avenue (Dynasty Wars, Strider, Chiki Chiki Boys, Forgotten Worlds), are well above $70 each...especially if you want a complete Forgotten Worlds (with Avenue Pad 3)

soop

Quote from: guest on 04/10/2018, 01:46 PMThe River City Ransom remake is very, very pricey, easily $150+. Shame more people haven't tried it.

All those late CD-Rom Capcom ports by NEC Avenue (Dynasty Wars, Strider, Chiki Chiki Boys, Forgotten Worlds), are well above $70 each...especially if you want a complete Forgotten Worlds (with Avenue Pad 3)
I was a bit annoyed I missed out on Strider recently for andecent price.

TheClash603

Dont forget all the PCE Memories games.

xcrement5x

MisterCrash

I presume you're not including things like the Hudson HE development academy CDs, which were only released to the graduates of the program, and now sell for thousands of dollars.

Here are some other pricey CDs:

Shogi Database
Magical Story I
Nexzr (original, not the Summer Carnival version)
Rayxanber III

Edit: For HuCards, Parasol Stars and Liquid Kids/Mizubaku Adventure are starting to get up there as well.

soop

Quote from: MisterCrash on 04/11/2018, 06:47 AMI presume you're not including things like the Hudson HE development academy CDs, which were only released to the graduates of the program, and now sell for thousands of dollars.

Here are some other pricey CDs:

Shogi Database
Magical Story I
Nexzr (original, not the Summer Carnival version)
Rayxanber III

Edit: For HuCards, Parasol Stars and Liquid Kids/Mizubaku Adventure are starting to get up there as well.
Nexzr has ridiculous prices, but looking at sold items, it usually sells for about £70.  looks like people are just looking to cash in.  I'll check the other ones out when I get a minute

NecroPhile

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 04/10/2018, 10:58 AMSome missing ones: Final Soldier and Bomberman '93 special hueys, Yokai Dochouki and Power League gold hueys, Madou Monogatari, Terra Cresta II, whichever Super Real Mahjong is teh rarez naughty version, the six kids games for the ten key thingy, and some of the LA games (Vajra 2, Akuma no Shinban, Zapping, and ?).

Some that're getting there and will go over $150 on a bad day: Aldynes, Double Dragon II, Hana Taka Daka, and Terraforming.
What's the difference between the regular and gold version of Yokai Dochouki?
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

NecroPhile

Quote from: hoobs88 on 04/11/2018, 10:28 AMWhat's the difference between the regular and gold version of Yokai Dochouki?
The game code itself is the same.  The case and huey are gold colored and the back page of the manual is different.

MisterCrash

Quote from: guest on 04/11/2018, 09:29 AM
Quote from: MisterCrash on 04/11/2018, 06:47 AMMagical Story I
What's this one?  :-k
That is an auto-translated name, so it might be called something else. The Japanese name is 魔導物語 I.

I saw it listed on the OCNK game shop page, which has a pretty comprehensive price list:

http://gameshop.ocnk.net/page/46

As for Nexzr, the Japanese stores I've seen it for sale at are around 20,000 yen. The Summer Carnival version is being listed at half that price.

NecroPhile

Oh, Madou.  I want cute lil Arle, but why's she gotta be so dang expensive?!?

Digi.k

Ninja spirit seems to be shooting up a bit too
 Madou monogatari is a CD game ?

NecroPhile

Yep.  It's one of the few Arcade Card games, which likely explains the cost (late game made in small quantities).

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 04/11/2018, 01:21 PMYep.  It's one of the few Arcade Card games, which likely explains the cost (late game made in small quantities).
I mean @ Soop has listed it in the Huey section

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 04/11/2018, 10:47 AM
Quote from: hoobs88 on 04/11/2018, 10:28 AMWhat's the difference between the regular and gold version of Yokai Dochouki?
The game code itself is the same.  The case and huey are gold colored and the back page of the manual is different.
Any photos of this?

soop

Quote from: Digi.k on 04/11/2018, 01:39 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/11/2018, 01:21 PMYep.  It's one of the few Arcade Card games, which likely explains the cost (late game made in small quantities).
I mean @ Soop has listed it in the Huey section
My bad, I'll update tomorrow.  On my phone rn, so it's a pita

soop

QuoteAs for Nexzr, the Japanese stores I've seen it for sale at are around 20,000 yen. The Summer Carnival version is being listed at half that price.
Huh, I checked ebay and the sold listings were way down.  recently too, and not PCEWorks.  Guess I'll just have to be patient

NecroPhile

PukeSter

Quote from: Digi.k on 04/11/2018, 01:10 PMNinja spirit seems to be shooting up a bit too
 Madou monogatari is a CD game ?
One of the very last pc engine games.

The genesis version was the last genny game released in Japan

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 04/11/2018, 12:43 PMOh, Madou.  I want cute lil Arle, but why's she gotta be so dang expensive?!?
Likewise.  That's easily the Arcade Card title that I don't have that I want the most.  I don't think I'd make good enough use out of the game though to justify the pricetag.  C'est la vie.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

hoobs88

Digi.k

21 Emon Mezase

Mad stalker

geise

Mad Stalker not that long ago was a $35 game. Past couple years the game on every platform it was made on has gone up like crazy.

I like the cut scenes and music on the pc-e but for arcade card the game could've been better. It pales in comparison to the x68k.

Winniez

Unfortunately Soldier Blade is getting there, not quite over 100 quid yet but very close.

wildfruit

Not quite £100 but I bought die hard couple years ago for £20. Now it seems to go £40-£60. That's some inflation on a mediocre but not unenjoyable game.

Digi.k

Digi.k

Mizubaku Daibouken

NecroPhile

Terra Cresta II is on the list already, but it's mistakenly under CDs.

edit - and Madou is under hueys.  Flip 'em soop!

schweaty

Double Dragon II is over 100 now?

Anyways, for the laser active, time gal, road avenger/prosecutor and don quixote Are all over 100 many times over

soop

Quote from: schweaty on 04/20/2018, 12:40 AMDouble Dragon II is over 100 now?

Anyways, for the laser active, time gal, road avenger/prosecutor and don quixote Are all over 100 many times over
I never really count LA stuff tbh, it's all so pricey.  Double Dragon 2 has been pushing £100 since I can remember

soop

Ok, updated, thanks guys :P

Digi.k

looks like 1943 kai is creeping up too

soop

Quote from: Digi.k on 04/26/2018, 09:55 AMlooks like 1943 kai is creeping up too
I got this for £20 recently.  But yeah it's usually up around £50

Digi.k

Quote from: soop on 04/26/2018, 10:50 AMI got this for £20 recently.  But yeah it's usually up around £50
IMG

GoldenWheels

I haven't seen Chuka Taisen/Cloud Master at any kind of reasonable price. Sure would like to get that one but not for 100+.

Freeway2

I feel like when the price of 1941 for SuperGrafx started going up 1943 started rising also.
"If I took this cigarette and put it out on you would you love me"

tknjin

I would also put chiki chiki boys for the Super CD

pixeljunkie

Speaking of things getting "pricey"

You know what's weird? Playing Time Cruise II on your Everdrive and looking at your games and going, "hmmm, I don't think I actually own this one...weird. Let's hop online and grab that one." Only to find out it's a $70+ game now?!!! WTF is happening? I know this is the same old complaint from those of us who've been into these games for years...but seriously. This is outta' hand.

seieienbu

Time Cruise 2 is definitely a weird one to be so high.

TheClash603

Quote from: seieienbu on 05/12/2018, 01:53 AMTime Cruise 2 is definitely a weird one to be so high.
I'll admit, I bought it years ago because I thought it was the sequel to the TG16 game.  Maybe a bunch of people are getting tricked like I did?  I didn't pay nearly this much at least.

seieienbu

I've actually never played the game.  Why?  Because I thought until this very moment that it was the sequel to the Turbo game.  Now I'm at least going to check out a rom of it :lol:

soop

I think it's important to make a distinction between how much games sell for and how much they're listed for.  In the case of Nexzr, you'll find a tonne of listings on eBay that never sell (or do so once in a blue moon), and plenty that are listed for a more reasonable price that sell often.  It's the difference between checking the sold prices and listed prices.

Lo and behold.  One Time Cruise 2 sold for £22, one sold for £36, and one (the only auction) ended at £16.  Those are the only sold listings. Just be patient if you want it that bad, it's not a $70 game.

schweaty

Quote from: soop on 05/14/2018, 06:45 AMI think it's important to make a distinction between how much games sell for and how much they're listed for.  In the case of Nexzr, you'll find a tonne of listings on eBay that never sell (or do so once in a blue moon), and plenty that are listed for a more reasonable price that sell often.  It's the difference between checking the sold prices and listed prices.

Lo and behold.  One Time Cruise 2 sold for £22, one sold for £36, and one (the only auction) ended at £16.  Those are the only sold listings. Just be patient if you want it that bad, it's not a $70 game.
This.  Sold auctions is all you should be looking at to determine the market value.  Not listings or sold buy-it-nows.  Just because one ass-hat paid that much once doesn't mean that's the new price.