RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

I bought the others right before it (HD Collection, Home Coming), just was part of collecting all Silent Hill games for my...backlog. ;)

Will see, but definitely I will make this an Ys 8 year, NIS America announced the PC Steam version will be ready next week, so I will definitely make time to beat that soon after I get it installed. I did beat my friend's game Insanity's Blade a few weeks ago too, so that's off the backlog.

Tangent: Speaking of Ys 8, I was supposed to make my Falcom raffle thread already, but I'll try tomorrow...

But let's do a quicky summary, 10 possible winners:

* 150 post minimum, and I reserve the right to exclude trolls
* 1st Grand Prize: Ys 8, Xanadu Next and Gurumin Steam codes
* 2nd Prize: Just Ys 8 and Gurumin
* The rest win just Gurumin Steam or GOG codes if you prefer.

Contest has been in place since September, but only 7 members gained from Facebook as I kept procrastinating to make a raffle thread here and better present it.

I talked to Johnny Millenium/Happy Console Gamer, asked if he could retweet my raffle link when ready, so that should help get it noticed. At least 40 participants would be good since 10 prizes to give away for now.

Medic_wheat

I haven't picked up to many XBONE games. Any exclusive physical games worth getting? 

So far I only have

Ori
Killer instinct

TheClash603

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 04/11/2018, 07:03 AMI haven't picked up to many XBONE games. Any exclusive physical games worth getting? 

So far I only have

Ori
Killer instinct
Not sure if you like racing games, but the Forza games may be the best on the system.

Then there is Halo and Gears of war, both are cheap enough now cause they are old, you might as well try them.

Sea of Theives is the shiny new exclusive, but it wasn't great to me.

Sunset Overdrive was fun.

Rare replay, though it's all old games so not really exclusive.

PUBG is console exclusive, but not physical.

Cuphead may be best game on system for people who like old shit, but not (yet) physical.

Mathius

Go ahead and enter me, Nightwolve.

NightWolve

Cool, that's 8 entrants so far, heh.

I found out today Nulltard recycled a defamatory dox job against me with a domain he bought, my day was a bit ruined shall we say, so I'm not quite in the mood to create my Falcom raffle, but I'll see, hopefully try tonight......

Mathius

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/10/2018, 11:51 PMI bought a Windows 7 Professional Product Key for only $2.53. Now that they're dirt cheap, as Win 7 support is good for another 2 years and the free Windows 10 upgrade period is over, I said why not to fully complete my upgrade from Vista finally. I didn't trust these key sellers, I didn't think Windows Activation was gonna work, but it did so purty cool to get that out of the way!

I think Windows 7 was the cleanest OS Microsoft produced, all the best of XP & Vista and less of the worst. Windows 8.1 moved the OS into the tablet craze of interface design, same with Windows 10 but with more spying like Google's Android, pretty much moving it to that model.

Well, I dunno how long I should stick with it, but I'll see how it goes in the next 2 years for my home PC. All my tablets are Windows 10 now (up'ed free from 8.1), and my phones are Android, so I have them all at my disposal to continue learning from on occasion.

IMG

Listing was quickly deleted after seller finished off his batch, but you just eBay search "windows 7 key" to find others.
Was this 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7 at that price?
--DragonmasterDan

NightWolve

Happily for 64-bit! It seemed like all would say the universal key was for both but maybe worth paying attention to.

My friend/neighbor gave me 2 of his old PCs some time back, one was stripped so I could up the DDR2 System RAM to 6GB for my classic 2008 PC tower. You must go 64-bit or Windows won't see past 3GB RAM.

FYI, if you're interested, these key offers go up and down quickly for some reason (MS don't like em?), so you gotta keep an eye out I guess. The guy also emailed me a 2015 Visual Studio Enterprise key as a secret bonus BTW, I might have some use for that IF the key works (something tells me there's something shady with these dudes, heh).

ToyMachine78

Got these in the mail yesterday. Im really glad more stuff like this is being released.

Hopefully I'll get to pop them in tonight.
IMG

Bloufo

A couple months back I had picked up a bunch of HD-DVD's on the cheap, still sealed.
I only very recently had a chance to start going through all of them.

Had no idea that disc rot was even a thing with this format. 8 out of the 12 Warner Bros discs that I tried, ranged from having a sort of clouding effect on screen, to random disc read errors, to being unplayable. All the others -Universal, Paramount Pictures, Dreamworks, etc, played fine.

Gypsy

NightWolve

Quote from: Bloufo on 04/14/2018, 05:26 PMA couple months back I had picked up a bunch of HD-DVD's on the cheap, still sealed.

Had no idea that disc rot was even a thing with this format. 8 out of the 12 Warner Bros discs that I tried, ranged from having a sort of clouding effect on screen, to random disc read errors, to being unplayable. All the others -Universal, Paramount Pictures, Dreamworks, etc, played fine.
I bought a Superman BluRay, the original classic with Christopher Reeve, left it stored for a year till I decided to watch both with the Richard Donner Cut sequel (terrible BTW, original Cut is better), so I try the BluRay, it looks perfect, totally new but it's dead!!

Just as well, I'd like to buy the 4K version someday so no big deal. Apparently there were lots of bad BluRay batches and you could get replacements from some movie distributors directly for their screw ups. I tried, I got a DVD replacement... Heh. The customer service rep screwed that up too.

Bloufo

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/14/2018, 06:59 PM
Quote from: Bloufo on 04/14/2018, 05:26 PMA couple months back I had picked up a bunch of HD-DVD's on the cheap, still sealed.

I bought a Superman BluRay, the original classic with Christopher Reeve, left it stored for a year till I decided to watch both with the Richard Donner Cut sequel (terrible BTW, original Cut is better), so I try the BluRay, it looks perfect, totally new but it's dead!!

Just as well, I'd like to buy the 4K version someday so no big deal. Apparently there were lots of bad BluRay batches and you could get replacements from some movie distributors directly for their screw ups. I tried, I got a DVD replacement... Heh. The customer service rep screwed that up too.
So it happens on Blu-ray's as well?
I mean I thought that was an issue that was done and dusted when the LaserDisc age came to an end. That and if you store them where there is no dampness or extreme temperatures, that they'll be just fine. Just goes to show you how out of the loop I am with that.

In my case, I haven't had a single DVD or Blu-ray disc go bad in that way. But as I said, Blu-ray's "rival" at the time-HD-DVD, and most especially their discs by Warner, as I have now found out, are affected by that.

Digi.k

Just picked these up today. There was another retro gaming fair here in central London but the prices have shot up >.>
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: Bloufo on 04/15/2018, 01:16 AMSo it happens on Blu-ray's as well?
Not quite the same problem but I pointed this out because people need to immediately open their BluRays after purchase and make sure they work! Durrrr...

What happens is I stop by Walmart, BestBuy, Target, MicroCenter, etc. to occasionally build up the home theater library, especially on Black Friday sale events. If good BluRay classics sell for cheap, even if I seen them many times on DVD, I'll grab them for storage until the day I buy my LG OLED 65" dream TV to truly complete the home theater with rocking surround sound! :)

I have a 43" 4K TV (LG TVs ARE fantastic as PC monitors too!) for my workdesk/bedroom, but my theater system area was still sticking with a 32" Panasonic CRT, nearly my last attachment to CRT as I threw many away aside from a small 13" one for RGB mod testing/study/learning.

Anyway, I bought many BluRays of the greats like Predator, Total Recall, Matrix, StarGate, Aliens, RoboCop, Terminator 2, The Fifth Element, Batman/The Dark Knight, etc. stuff I'd wanna watch again on a beautiful LG 65 incher eventually, but I left them in shrink wrap and didn't think, "Duh, better make sure they work..." Well, that was a mistake!

Turns out Warner Bros. had bad batches go loose right from the factory (happened to Sarumaru with Project Yuki even), so they instituted a hotline to exchange bad discs. I tried, returned mine in paid-for envelope they sent, I got back a Superman DVD which ironically used to own another copy of but gave to my friend AFTER upgrading to BluRay a year back, hahaha!!!! Thanks for trolling me Warner Bros.!

What sucks now is for the movie library I built up, I want such movies in beautiful, luscious 4K resolution BluRay instead, I stocked up on 1080p which doesn't compare to 4K in quality... But such is the dilemma with upgrade mania, 8K is around the corner too, and someday we'll be able to buy physical media in the same resolution as what the movie was shot in which would end the upgrade cycle for the most part (can't do better than theater resolution).

Point is these bad batches right out from the factory don't speak to the longevity problem, things like disc rot. A good BluRay is supposed to be long-lasting and very scratch-resistant given the tough coating that's used compared to any prior optical disc technology.

Gypsy

The original BD release of StarGate is shit btw. Not sure what release you have but I have both and noticed big differences so I wanted to mention it.

Sadly both BD releases of Predator are shit but...the first one is...less shit? Kind of a matter of preference but basically they went overboard trying to correct shit in the second release and Arnold looks like he belongs in a wax museum.

And yeah it's annoying but I always at least spot check discs when I buy stuff new to make sure the disc isn't doa.

I'm generally happy enough with blu-rays compared to 4K. I don't feel the need to upgrade. But then I also don't watch movies on a massive display so that's a factor. A lot of recent blus of older moves are from 2-4k new transfers anyway, so they upscale very well and look good.

TheClash603

Quote from: Digi.k on 04/15/2018, 11:25 AMJust picked these up today. There was another retro gaming fair here in central London but the prices have shot up >.>
IMG
Golden Axe has a shitty cover in Japan.  As a Saturn fan I was thinking "I never heard of this Bull game," until I figured it out.  U.S. cover is much much better.

NightWolve

Ys III: Wanderers from Ys - you just bought one of the greatest, most blindingly awesome soundtracks in videogame history! Respect and appreciate that!

Downside is the voice-acting quality dropped to Last Alert standards unlike the well-funded effort of Ys Book I&II that tried hard to put the Ys series on the map, AND they pulled a Zelda II side-scrolling monkey-see/do copycat switch only to rightly abandon it for Ys IV.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Gypsy on 04/14/2018, 06:48 PMRaiden V, very nice.
It's pretty good. Ive really enjoyed it. The way the backgrounds move can be disorienting. People that experience motion sickness may have problems with that. The bosses are a little too bullet hellish for my tastes as well.

It has some nice online features. One that I like, it graphs your score/performance vs the top score and the top 100 score.

DragonmasterDan

Yeah, my Harry Potter, Clockwork Orange, Superman II Donner Cut, Casablanca among others have rotted. :(
--DragonmasterDan

NightWolve

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 04/15/2018, 11:48 PMSuperman II Donner Cut :(
Oh man, honestly, no loss... What was it that really offended me ? :-k The time travel use was just more ridiculous, but it doesn't bother me as much as the first one... I just remember being really excited and let down...

Richard Donner was a top notch director once upon a time, he lost a bit of his mojo it seems... He did another time travel movie in the early 2000's I bought which was nothing special. Didn't live up to the hype.

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

NightWolve

Gypsy

Best DoDonPachi game right there.

schweaty

Picked this guy up over the weekend

IMG

ToyMachine78

Dang! When you aren't watching videos, you can dead lift or curl it for a great workout.

NecroPhile

Is that a Pioneer remote and Pioneer font on the tray?  Lemme guess, it's a reskinned Elite sold for 2x the MSRP of the "cheap" Pioneer.

Whatever it is, it's a sexy looking beast.  Did ya get a sweet deal on 'er?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nectarsis

oops
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/16/2018, 12:23 AMRichard Donner was a top notch director once upon a time, he lost a bit of his mojo it seems... He did another time travel movie in the early 2000's I bought which was nothing special. Didn't live up to the hype.
Obviously there was a lot of studio interference. So I'm sure even the "Donner Cut" isn't what his whole vision for the movie would have been if left to his sole judgement.
--DragonmasterDan

NightWolve

Quote from: nectarsis on 04/16/2018, 06:29 PMgets in an album to save space ;)

http://s180.photobucket.com/user/nectarsis/slideshow/MGC%202018
PhotoBucket and it works ?? Wait, why does mine still work too ?

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 04/16/2018, 07:17 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 04/16/2018, 12:23 AMRichard Donner was a top notch director once upon a time, he lost a bit of his mojo it seems... He did another time travel movie in the early 2000's I bought which was nothing special. Didn't live up to the hype.
Obviously there was a lot of studio interference. So I'm sure even the "Donner Cut" isn't what his whole vision for the movie would have been if left to his sole judgement.
I dunno, but definitely liked the theatrical version better.

schweaty

Quote from: guest on 04/16/2018, 03:24 PMIs that a Pioneer remote and Pioneer font on the tray?  Lemme guess, it's a reskinned Elite sold for 2x the MSRP of the "cheap" Pioneer.

Whatever it is, it's a sexy looking beast.  Did ya get a sweet deal on 'er?
Well, my dear NecroPhile, based on how you asked your question, I'm guessing you already know exactly what it is.  And you are correct.  As far as price, I paid $500 to the original owner, and it's pristine.  It looks like one is going to sell on ebay for at least $1k

nectarsis

My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

TR0N

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/16/2018, 01:19 AMTerminator...
Yup it wasn't cheap either. It use to be a dirt cheap game but now it's pricey.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

CZroe

Wasn't "today" but the police wouldn't let me say too much when I found it a couple weeks ago:
IMG

NecroPhile

Dafuq?  Is that Hoganja's Alley or Cheebaman II?

CZroe

Quote from: guest on 04/17/2018, 11:04 AMDafuq?  Is that Hoganja's Alley or Cheebaman II?
NES Golf [Special Double-Bogey Edition], NTSC
Isolated Warrior [Tactically Disguised as Rollergames PAL B FRA Edition], also PAL
Isolated Warrior PAL was broken. Thinking about demanding my money back. ;)

Most likely heroin.

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 04/17/2018, 11:04 AMDafuq?  Is that Hoganja's Alley or Cheebaman II?
"Marijuana is Missing"

NecroPhile

Man, that's messed up.  The broken game makes it even worse.

esteban

BahahjajajajJjja!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NoSexGex

Quote from: CZroe on 04/17/2018, 10:39 AMWasn't "today" but the police wouldn't let me say too much when I found it a couple weeks ago:
Was just reading the thread on NA, had no idea you were in here too
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

CZroe

Quote from: guest on 04/17/2018, 08:20 PM
Quote from: CZroe on 04/17/2018, 10:39 AMWasn't "today" but the police wouldn't let me say too much when I found it a couple weeks ago:
Was just reading the thread on NA, had no idea you were in here too
Heh heh... I just can't resist posting that to all the "show us what you found recently" kind of threads in all the gaming forums where I have an account. Just seems like a missed opportunity for some lulz if I don't!

Shock value!

TheClash603

ToyMachine78

Screw ebay, think of what it will auction for on the street

Bloufo

Picked up a copy of Final Fight CD and a Mark III to SMS cart converter, from a local guy.

IMG
IMG

Flare65

IMG
You made the news here in Chicago.  Saw the story on TV.

CZroe

Quote from: Flare65 on 04/18/2018, 09:03 AM
IMG
You made the news here in Chicago.  Saw the story on TV.
This one? http://wgntv.com/2018/04/16/drugs-found-inside-video-game-cartridges/

Being a superstation, WGN Chicago is inadvertently national news. :)

A CNN guy contacted me and marketed it to the CNN affiliates but I don't think that means HLN or CNN proper. I've seen his package show up on local stations like this:
http://www.wwlp.com/world/video-games-stuffed-with-suspected-drugs/1126067504

Pretty exciting!

ClodBusted

You've even made it into Heise News:
https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Konsolen-Mod-Spielesammler-findet-Rauschgift-in-alten-Nintendo-Cartridges-4024475.html

They also claim:
QuoteIn addition to the ongoing debate about the addictive potential of video games, a modern reissue of the classic Nintendo console - the Nintendo Classic Mini - has significantly reduced the risk of inadvertent drug trafficking through pre-installed games.
(Google translate)

xcrement5x

Lol, that's pretty nuts.  I've found weed in a PS2 before (expansion in the back), but what you found it probably the stuff that gets you a stint in pound you in the ass prison if you got caught selling it.  Good on you for contacting the cops ASAP though.  Any idea when you'll get the games back?

CZroe

Quote from: guest on 04/18/2018, 10:08 AMYou've even made it into Heise News:
https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Konsolen-Mod-Spielesammler-findet-Rauschgift-in-alten-Nintendo-Cartridges-4024475.html

They also claim:
QuoteIn addition to the ongoing debate about the addictive potential of video games, a modern reissue of the classic Nintendo console - the Nintendo Classic Mini - has significantly reduced the risk of inadvertent drug trafficking through pre-installed games.
(Google translate)
!!!

My brother is supposed to be going on some radio station to talk about it tonight. I'll be at work. :( A couple podcasts have reached out too. Been wondering if Pat and Ian will say anything about it on the CUPodcast but they don't do the guest/interview thing. :)

CZroe

Quote from: guest on 04/18/2018, 11:20 AMLol, that's pretty nuts.  I've found weed in a PS2 before (expansion in the back), but what you found it probably the stuff that gets you a stint in pound you in the ass prison if you got caught selling it.  Good on you for contacting the cops ASAP though.  Any idea when you'll get the games back?
Got a lot of flak for that but even if I were the type to do something else with it, I considered it necessary. Why? Because the discovery was shared live on social media. If we didn't demonstrate that the police had it then we'd likely have druggies and dealers figuring out where we lived and beating our door down. If not them, we'd probably have police asking what we did with it if anyone believed it at all. Who wouldn't convince themselves that it's just an April Fools prank if we didn't take the next step of making a police report?

NY Post never talked to us but they did independently obtain and confirm the police report, adding a lot of credibility that was missing before (regardless of their reputation). There are still a lot of skeptics but now I can point them there.

Before even taking them the police asked if we were OK with them throwing it all away and we assured them that it was OK with us. We likely won't see any part of them again.