The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Quote from: CZroe on 04/18/2018, 02:54 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/18/2018, 11:20 AMLol, that's pretty nuts.  I've found weed in a PS2 before (expansion in the back), but what you found it probably the stuff that gets you a stint in pound you in the ass prison if you got caught selling it.  Good on you for contacting the cops ASAP though.  Any idea when you'll get the games back?
Got a lot of flak for that but even if I were the type to do something else with it, I considered it necessary. Why? Because the discovery was shared live on social media. If we didn't demonstrate that the police had it then we'd likely have druggies and dealers figuring out where we lived and beating our door down. If not them, we'd probably have police asking what we did with it if anyone believed it at all. Who wouldn't convince themselves that it's just an April Fools prank if we didn't take the next step of making a police report?

NY Post never talked to us but they did independently obtain and confirm the police report, adding a lot of credibility that was missing before (regardless of their reputation). There are still a lot of skeptics but now I can point them there.

Before even taking them the police asked if we were OK with them throwing it all away and we assured them that it was OK with us. We likely won't see any part of them again.
Ha! That is  a pretty crazy story.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NoSexGex

Maybe your case is what inspired customs to do this :lol: Recently happened too

IMG
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

CZroe

Quote from: guest on 04/18/2018, 04:24 PMMaybe your case is what inspired customs to do this :lol: Recently happened too

IMG
In the unlisted "full police visit" video (linked in the description, you can hear us lament about exactly that.

We voiced concern that this might increase scrutiny for other innocent collectors who already have horror stories about new/sealed stuff being opened for inspection.

Sucks!

Digi.k

esteban

NecroPhile

Those bomberman plush things are awesome.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Digi.k

xcrement5x

Quote from: Digi.k on 04/26/2018, 08:50 PMIMG
Holy shit that bonk is nightmare inducing.

It looks like he's gonna stick you in the hole and make and Edgar suit out of you.

NightWolve

My copy of FX Unit Yuki safely arrived last Friday night:

IMG

There was a slight problem though, I backed the tier for the OST CD which wasn't included, but I talked to Jesse and it should ship out next couple of days, so no big deal.

Update: ~9 days later, all taken care of:

IMG

I regret I didn't pony up the cash for the Treasure Box LE, but ah well.

:duran: :yuki: :geni:

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/26/2018, 10:39 PM

It looks like he's gonna stick you in the hole and make and Edgar suit out of you.
HahahahHaha.

Yeah, it's horrendous.

There is a video of that CES with a camcorder... Bonk actually "harasses" folks... it makes you feel really bad for the performer inside the stoopid costume.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 04/27/2018, 08:01 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/26/2018, 10:39 PM

HahahahHaha.

Yeah, it's horrendous.

There is a video of that CES with a camcorder... Bonk actually "harasses" folks... it makes you feel really bad for the performer inside the stoopid costume.
There was an Air Zonk costumed performer there too!
--DragonmasterDan

Digi.k

Somewhat expensive cardboard in the post

imgur .com/8iGapVE.jpg?1

also scans from those pc engine gekkan mags.

Sales for May  issue 1991: August
IMG

Sales for Nov issue 1992: February
IMG

*cough very rough translations for the sorcerian article*
The guy with the dog mask is a tipster reporting that this a a big hit RPG that needs no introduction, you can choose freely the scenarios and the game has a groundbreaking magic system!

FROM MAKERS SIDE
Socerian originally appeared on pc and in the game the player can choose the characters and scenarios which is a big appeal.  From the original game 7 scenarios made it bringing a total of 10 scenarios.  There are 60 jobs to perform and variety of magic.  The music composition is from Kenji Kawai.  Do not miss the fun!!
IMG

NightWolve

IMG

My FX Unit Yuki soundtrack safely arrived today separately. I asked Jesse to throw in a Saru signature, so all set.

For their troubles since they had to eat extra shipping cost for the mistake, I offered to make them a nice Yuki ad at the PCEFX forum root using the basic news feature. I must admit, the ad worked out nicely. I didn't expect to go that far, but I wanted to have fun with it, pretty much finished now.

I personally did want this to be the most successful PC Engine Kickstarter project in history, and while $35,000 was respectable, it wasn't a smashing success, the team still needs all the help it can get! So whatever marketing you guys can do using your social media accounts to help them see new sales beyond us backers, please do so! :)

:yuki: :geni: :duran:

P. S.

You can listen to Simon Johansson's soundtrack for Yuki in its entirety at the below link. It can be purchased digitally for only $5 USD.

https://garbledwaves.bandcamp.com/releases

NightWolve

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 04/14/2018, 07:22 AM
Quote from: NightWolve on 04/10/2018, 11:51 PMI bought a Windows 7 Professional Product Key for only $2.53. Now that they're dirt cheap, as Win 7 support is good for another 2 years and the free Windows 10 upgrade period is over, I said why not to fully complete my upgrade from Vista finally. I didn't trust these key sellers, I didn't think Windows Activation was gonna work, but it did so purty cool to get that out of the way!

I think Windows 7 was the cleanest OS Microsoft produced, all the best of XP & Vista and less of the worst. Windows 8.1 moved the OS into the tablet craze of interface design, same with Windows 10 but with more spying like Google's Android, pretty much moving it to that model.

Well, I dunno how long I should stick with it, but I'll see how it goes in the next 2 years for my home PC. All my tablets are Windows 10 now (up'ed free from 8.1), and my phones are Android, so I have them all at my disposal to continue learning from on occasion.

/Screenshot_2018-04-10-19-45-19.png

Listing was quickly deleted after seller finished off his batch, but you just eBay search "windows 7 key" to find others.
Was this 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7 at that price?
Hey Dan, I was trying to remember to return here to warn you since you asked and seemed interested...

About 2 weeks after Windows 7 was activated and working fine...I get the "not genuine" message, desktop goes all black... I'm like, "Ah man, what, why?" So...Microsoft would go on to block the product key I got from the seller...

I talked to an employee at MicroCenter about this, the Chicagoland location on Elston/Diversey and he says, nope, not gonna fly, you can't buy new ones from Microsoft, they only wanna sell ya Windows 10 keys... I didn't get an explanation why the unused key got activated by Microsoft, worked for 2 weeks, then due to spying and re-validation attempts from time to time, the system decided to "change its mind," block the key, say "too bad sucka."

The seller got away with my $2.53, so ah well... I went back to using the trial mode trick.

nectarsis

:dance: :dance: :dance:

/nectarsis/20180501_181221_zpsczevpwkv.jpg
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

MisterCrash

Ooh...Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast...that is a really fun game. I'm no good at it, but still managed to sink 20+ hours into it last year. Trying to perfect the drifting mechanic is addictive. One of my favorite PSP games.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: NightWolve on 05/02/2018, 12:08 AMHey Dan, I was trying to remember to return here to warn you since you asked and seemed interested...

About 2 weeks after Windows 7 was activated and working fine...I get the "not genuine" message, desktop goes all black... I'm like, "Ah man, what, why?" So...Microsoft would go on to block the product key I got from the seller...

I talked to an employee at MicroCenter about this, the Chicagoland location on Elston/Diversey and he says, nope, not gonna fly, you can't buy new ones from Microsoft, they only wanna sell ya Windows 10 keys... I didn't get an explanation why the unused key got activated by Microsoft, worked for 2 weeks, then due to spying and re-validation attempts from time to time, the system decided to "change its mind," block the key, say "too bad sucka."

The seller got away with my $2.53, so ah well... I went back to using the trial mode trick.
Ugh, Oh well. I have Vista still working on an old laptop and no reason to change it for now even though less and less applications support it.

Worst case scenario is I can install a Linux distro on it down the line.
--DragonmasterDan

jtucci31

Burnout Paradise rules!! Bought it at $30 the weekend it came out and so happy I did, jamming to Avril Lavigne is peak 2009

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 05/09/2018, 06:55 PMBurnout Paradise rules!! Bought it at $30 the weekend it came out and so happy I did, jamming to Avril Lavigne is peak 2009
Would the game play well with a racing wheel?  I spent more than I shouldve on a wheel setup and am always looking for more games to play with it.  Somehow, a handful of arcade racers just dont feel right with a wheel.

Gypsy

Some interesting recent gets

Old plasma tv, the de-interlacing sucks but otherwise good, pq is nice on it.

Another fight stick with ps360+ in it so I can play all kinds of consoles with a friend for two player fighters and such.

Gypsy

Grabbed a nice LD lot off eBay. Robin Hood w/ Errol Flynn, Five Easy Pieces, Arsenic and Old Lace and The 400 Blows. All Criterion of course.

NightWolve

Quote from: CZroe on 04/18/2018, 09:21 AM
Quote from: Flare65 on 04/18/2018, 09:03 AM
Quote from: CZroe on 04/17/2018, 10:39 AMWasn't "today" but the police wouldn't let me say too much when I found it a couple weeks ago:
IMG
You made the news here in Chicago.  Saw the story on TV.
This one? http://wgntv.com/2018/04/16/drugs-found-inside-video-game-cartridges/

Being a superstation, WGN Chicago is inadvertently national news. :)

A CNN guy contacted me and marketed it to the CNN affiliates but I don't think that means HLN or CNN proper. I've seen his package show up on local stations like this:
http://www.wwlp.com/world/video-games-stuffed-with-suspected-drugs/1126067504

Pretty exciting!
Wow, I almost missed your story, that's wild!

Were the drugs identified, was that reported somewhere already ?

CZroe

Quote from: NightWolve on 05/24/2018, 11:40 PM
Quote from: CZroe on 04/18/2018, 09:21 AM
Quote from: Flare65 on 04/18/2018, 09:03 AM
Quote from: CZroe on 04/17/2018, 10:39 AMWasn't "today" but the police wouldn't let me say too much when I found it a couple weeks ago:
IMG
You made the news here in Chicago.  Saw the story on TV.
This one? http://wgntv.com/2018/04/16/drugs-found-inside-video-game-cartridges/

Being a superstation, WGN Chicago is inadvertently national news. :)

A CNN guy contacted me and marketed it to the CNN affiliates but I don't think that means HLN or CNN proper. I've seen his package show up on local stations like this:
http://www.wwlp.com/world/video-games-stuffed-with-suspected-drugs/1126067504

Pretty exciting!
Wow, I almost missed your story, that's wild!

Were the drugs identified, was that reported somewhere already ?
They didn't test it during their visit and the police report only gives a physical description (NY Post quotes the police report). Newnan PD passed it on to Carrollton PD and Carrollton never contacted us. :( Of the people reaching out to me who would know, they unanimously say it's some kind of heroin.

I've been told that the street value of heroin is typically $20 per 100mg, which is $22,600 (!) for the 4oz we found. Since it appears to be pure/uncut, it could be significantly more valuable.

Yeah, it definitely made the rounds. :) On 4-20 (hurr hurr!) Jimmy Fallon even made a pot joke out of it:
(Jump to 3:11)

It isn't the first time I found something cool inside an NES game while recording video (Xexyz prototype) but it's going to be hard to top that one. :)

NightWolve

Ah, that's just as well, you did the right thing to take it off the streets! One of my best friends overdosed on that stuff, it's incredibly destructive, it had ruined his life for well over a decade... He tried a methadone clinic for a few years to ween off of it but got addicted to that also...

Since I was the family contact to his aunt who coincidentally called me as he was dying on that stuff (mixing it with alcohol), I had to break the news to her when I saw police and ambulance arrive at his house... I walked in as the medics were giving up resuscitation telling me it's over for him... :/

CZroe

Quote from: NightWolve on 05/25/2018, 12:24 AMAh, that's just as well, you did the right thing to take it off the streets! One of my best friends overdosed on that stuff, it's incredibly destructive, it had ruined his life for well over a decade... He tried a methadone clinic for a few years to ween off of it but got addicted to that also...

Since I was the family contact to his aunt who coincidentally called me as he was dying on that stuff (mixing it with alcohol), I had to break the news to her when I saw police and ambulance arrive at his house... I walked in as the medics were giving up resuscitation telling me it's over for him... :/
That's terrible! My best friend's wife is hooked on opioid pain killers but is still in denial even though she has tried to get... street alternatives. I have no doubt she feels real pain, but I'm sure it's amplified by withdrawal. It causes daily conflict with my friend and is ruining his marriage so I hope she gets help soon.

xcrement5x

Yeah, prescription narcotics are insane when you think about how addictive they are. 

I was reading something recently where they talked about how in the 70-80s many narcotics had side effects that were so bad that it made it easier to get off them, nowadays there are almost no side effects which makes getting off them even harder.

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

xcrement5x

Nice Soul Star is a goodie, that's one of the few I'm missing for the Mega-CD too!

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 05/30/2018, 11:26 PMNice Soul Star is a goodie, that's one of the few I'm missing for the Mega-CD too!
It's gotten pricey complete so i just settle for a disc only copy since it was the cheapest to buy.
IMG

SuperDeadite

Been getting caught up on MSX Homebrew from all over the world:
Myths and Dragons game: Spain
MSX Slot-expander: France
RAM Upgrade: Japan
SD-HDD Interface: Europe (This was a freebie)
V9990 Graphics Chip: Brazil
OPL4 Music Cart: Korea

And it all works beautifully together.
IMG
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

nectarsis

8) 8) :dance: :dance:

/20180601_140047_zps43vv9ok3.jpg

TR0N

IMG

nectarsis

Quote from: TR0N on 06/04/2018, 04:08 AM
Quote from: nectarsis on 06/04/2018, 12:44 AM8) 8) :dance: :dance:

How's the online co-op for the genesis classic collection ?
only have the time to toy with the offline a little bit maybe next weekend I'll try some co-op LOL

TR0N

Quote from: nectarsis on 06/04/2018, 04:11 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 06/04/2018, 04:08 AM
Quote from: nectarsis on 06/04/2018, 12:44 AM8) 8) :dance: :dance:

Hows the online co-op for the genesis classic collection ?
only have the time to toy with the offline a little bit maybe next weekend I'll try some co-op LOL
Just asking i thought about buying that compilation because of it.
IMG

bob

just like they do with star wars, they keep making new "versions" of crap i have already owned for years.  if i had a ps4 i would certainly buy it, so dont get me wrong.  for some reason i can never have enough discs of ristar and comix zone

TR0N

Quote from: bob on 06/11/2018, 06:41 PMjust like they do with star wars, they keep making new "versions" of crap i have already owned for years.  if i had a ps4 i would certainly buy it, so dont get me wrong.  for some reason i can never have enough discs of ristar and comix zone
Yeah these genesis compilations have been done to death all ready.I've heard the online is awful so i don't know if i'll bother with this collection.I have seen plenty of complaints to wheres the saturn collection,but that system isn't easy to emulate.
IMG

nectarsis

first local trade (besides MGC) ever  :dance: :dance:

/20180613_170137%201_zpsksopx8lu.jpg

majors

TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: majors on 06/14/2018, 07:21 PM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 06/02/2018, 01:56 AMBeen getting caught up on MSX Homebrew from all over the world:
lh3.googleusercontent.com/

I've got a lot of catching up to you to do...I'm still happy with MSX carts for now. I didn't get a real pad so I hacked up a genny 3-button and it's fine for now. My initial thoughts on the MSX: I knew the scrolling would be choppy, so that was not much of a disappointment, but the music more than makes up for it!
Your image isn't loading here :(
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Yeah not loading for me either.

Someone I know is purging their old anime and selling it on the cheap. The sheer bulk of what I am getting will take me quite awhile to watch.  :shock:

NightWolve

Nice of Google to at least "remember" the width/height dimensions of the original image and send a blank in its place....

Gypsy

Traded some PS1 imports I didn't really play anymore for these. Hebereke is an awesome game.

IMG

Medic_wheat

That sun soft game. I think I have seen it featured in a game sack episode. Looked like fun. A little pricy no?

Gypsy

It's really good. A nice Metroid type title, quite polished. And yeah it's like $80 for a loose famicom cart of it.

TR0N

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/26/2018, 09:19 AMThat sun soft game. I think I have seen it featured in a game sack episode. Looked like fun. A little pricy no?
It's also know as ufouria which had a pal release for the nes and there reproductions as well.
IMG

SignOfZeta

I think it's on Saturn in some way, isn't it?
IMG

Gypsy

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/27/2018, 03:22 AMI think it's on Saturn in some way, isn't it?
There is one on Saturn but it's not this game. It is on PS1 though in one of the Sunsoft Memorial volumes.

TR0N

One of the more pricey mega-cd games but i fond one one i was willing to pay for.
IMG
Robocop VS Terminator i got from a trade
IMG
IMG

Medic_wheat

I have been wanting to play that ninja warriors game. It's so pricy no matter the platform.

What is considered the best port of this game?  Did it ever come out in a arcade compilation later spent he road?

hoobs88

Quote from: TR0N on 07/06/2018, 01:03 AMOne of the more pricey mega-cd games but i fond one one i was willing to pay for.
IMG
That cover art is way better than the PC Engine version! I really enjoyed the game in the arcade but the PC Engine version was lackluster. Hopefully they did a better job on the Mega Drive version for you.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns