Thought I'd start a new topic to be less confusing. Anyway, here's a demo vid of this thing in action with all 5 known games. :)
http://youtu.be/y0KC5DeMbZU
Is Outrun actually controlling in analog in this vid? Didn't look like it to me, I may be wrong though.
Are there any other analog controllers either made for the PCE or compatible with the PCE via adapters?
Yay! And the "crazy guy" is called Soop, pronounced "soup" :P
Quote from: futureman2000 on 04/17/2012, 02:57 PMIs Outrun actually controlling in analog in this vid? Didn't look like it to me, I may be wrong though.
Yes it is.
Somehow I watched most of that video in its entirety, and I took away, "he said shaft."
Quote from: TheClash603 on 04/17/2012, 09:34 PMSomehow I watched most of that video in its entirety, and I took away, "he said shaft."
Clearly you are not playing enough Virtual Cameraman 2.
This is really cool. I never thought any more significant hardware features would be discovered on the PCE.
On a different note, I've tried to watch a few of your videos now (some LD/Vajra 2 stuff, the Virtual Cushion, and this) and they would benefit greatly from a little more tripod action and some concision (light editing or a loose script/outline). I hate to criticize because you've done a great service by bringing these rarities to light, but I'm a grumpy old man at heart and I get impatient easily. You used a tripod in most of this one and it was great.
Regardless, thank you very much for the video.
tripod? lol it was on a stool, which was balenced by jamming a cd case underneath it. If you want a real tripod, feel free to ship me one. My recording gear was all paid for from my own pocket. As for video quality, take it or leave it. I am a gamer that makes vids when I'm bored. Making videos is fun, but editing is not fun, I find it boring and I only have so much free time. And I will never write a script, I just can't read from one and feel natural. Sure I may repeat some stuff, and go off on tangents, but that's just my personality. Improv is just how I roll, there are plenty of perfectly edited "professional youtube reviewers" already. I just like sharing stuff most people haven't seen before.
Quote from: guest on 04/17/2012, 03:37 PMAre there any other analog controllers either made for the PCE or compatible with the PCE via adapters?
Yes, there's another one thta's pretty similar to the Saturn's analog controller.
Nice video :D
I love the fact you can swap the throttle and stick over!
Quote from: shubibiman on 04/18/2012, 02:49 AMQuote from: guest on 04/17/2012, 03:37 PMAre there any other analog controllers either made for the PCE or compatible with the PCE via adapters?
Yes, there's another one thta's pretty similar to the Saturn's analog controller.
That may or may not work. I currently don't have one to test with. But I have some FM Towns games which do support that controller, but they do not work with the Cyberstick at all.
Out of interest, can you try it with Space Harrier? Seems to fit with the rest of the games that work.
SuperDeadite, is there any way you could open up the XHE-3 and post pictures? I'm really curious to know exactly what's inside the thing, and whether or not it includes any ICs. Its a bit hard to find, so it would be nice if it was possible for people to make their own.
Space Harrier does not work. Grahf, due to the way it's built, I can't really get any pics worth a damn. But there's not much in there, just 2 caps, about 6 resistors, and 1 IC, labeled: TOSHIBA 74HC157AP, plus the Select and Run buttons, that's it.
BTW, have you tried with Battle Ace?
I just watched the entire video. I absolutely loved every second of it. Goddamn. I want this analog controller + adapter. Goddamn.
:pcgs: :pcgs:
Quote from: shubibiman on 04/18/2012, 03:47 PMBTW, have you tried with Battle Ace?
Not yet, I'll have to dust off the SGX tonight.
If it works, it could be considered as the Power console budget version :)
Wow, Afterburner II and Operation Wolf in particular seem all the more impressive with those controls. The movement of Afterburner makes it look like someone playing the arcade. And really, Operation Wolf controls pretty much the same way on the arcade as well. :)
Quote from: guest on 04/18/2012, 10:29 PMWow, Afterburner II and Operation Wolf in particular seem all the more impressive with those controls. The movement of Afterburner makes it look like someone playing the arcade. And really, Operation Wolf controls pretty much the same way on the arcade as well. :)
I, too, was surprised by Operation Wolf (and Forgotten Worlds)!
I really, really wish that Space Harrier had analog support. That would have been AMAZINGLY AWESOME, as far as I am concerned. (https://junk.tg-16.com/images/hany_in_the_sky.png)
Yeah, I'm surprised - it certainly fits with the whole into-the-screen Sega arcade conversion mould. Well maybe Space Fantasy Zone will.
Quote from: grahf on 04/18/2012, 09:37 AMSuperDeadite, is there any way you could open up the XHE-3 and post pictures? I'm really curious to know exactly what's inside the thing, and whether or not it includes any ICs. Its a bit hard to find, so it would be nice if it was possible for people to make their own.
Grahf: http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=pcexe1apsoft
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 04/18/2012, 10:03 AMSpace Harrier does not work. Grahf, due to the way it's built, I can't really get any pics worth a damn. But there's not much in there, just 2 caps, about 6 resistors, and 1 IC, labeled: TOSHIBA 74HC157AP, plus the Select and Run buttons, that's it.
Thanks a lot! That's the info I was after. And thanks, soop.
Quote from: esteban on 04/18/2012, 11:43 PMQuote from: guest on 04/18/2012, 10:29 PMWow, Afterburner II and Operation Wolf in particular seem all the more impressive with those controls. The movement of Afterburner makes it look like someone playing the arcade. And really, Operation Wolf controls pretty much the same way on the arcade as well. :)
I, too, was surprised by Operation Wolf (and Forgotten Worlds)!
I really, really wish that Space Harrier had analog support. That would have been AMAZINGLY AWESOME, as far as I am concerned. (https://junk.tg-16.com/images/hany_in_the_sky.png)
Not on PC-Engine, but here's the list of MegaDrive games that support the analog XE-1AP controller, no idea if the Cyberstick will work or not though.
The XE-1AP controller actually has dipswitches that change the output between X68k/MSX, FM Towns, and MegaDrive. The Cyberstick doesn't do this, so I'd need an adapter to test them.
Afterburner II
Afterburner III (MegaCD)
Afterburner Complete (32X)
Galaxy Force II
Super Monaco GP II
Space Harrier (32X)
Star Blade (MegaCD)
Night Striker (MegaCD)
Fastest One
Musha Aleste (yes seriously)
I can 100% confirm that Battle Ace does not work.
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 04/19/2012, 11:48 AMI can 100% confirm that Battle Ace does not work.
NOOOO :(
I'm racking my brain for more suggestions, but Space Harrier was probably the best shot. And I think what you did with going through the NEC Avenue games was a good idea too. Maybe some driving games like Chase HQ or S.C.I
Oh I thought you couldn't use a tripod because they were banned in moon-speak land.
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 04/19/2012, 11:53 AMOh I thought you couldn't use a tripod because they were banned in moon-speak land.
Exactly, hence i use my arcade cab stool balanced on a cd case.
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 04/19/2012, 11:48 AMI can 100% confirm that Battle Ace does not work.
Thanks for having checked ;)
That's very surprising.
Wasn't Battle Ace designed for the Power Console (although the rare demo pics show the SGX/PowerConsole combo with a development cart)?
Would be very interesting to give that one a try with the CyberStick.
oops, sorry for the double question :-(
Quote from: herr-g on 04/20/2012, 04:35 PMWasn't Battle Ace designed for the Power Console (although the rare demo pics show the SGX/PowerConsole combo with a development cart)?
Would be very interesting to give that one a try with the CyberStick.
"I can 100% confirm that Battle Ace does not work."
Quote from: guest on 04/20/2012, 04:51 PMQuote from: herr-g on 04/20/2012, 04:35 PMWasn't Battle Ace designed for the Power Console (although the rare demo pics show the SGX/PowerConsole combo with a development cart)?
Would be very interesting to give that one a try with the CyberStick.
"I can 100% confirm that Battle Ace does not work."
Yes, but does Battle Ace (the SuperGrafx game) support the analog CyberStick?
:pcgs:
By popular demand, I just tried Battle Ace on SuperGrafx again.
AND HOLY FUCKING SHIT
IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 04/21/2012, 06:00 AMBy popular demand, I just tried Battle Ace on SuperGrafx again.
AND HOLY FUCKING SHIT
...and what? Don't tease us like this! Please, I implore you, PLEASE tell us if Battle Ace (the SuperGrafx game) supports analog controls (and thus can be used with the CyberStick).
Please tell us ASAP!
Quote from: esteban on 04/21/2012, 06:04 AMQuote from: SuperDeadite on 04/21/2012, 06:00 AMBy popular demand, I just tried Battle Ace on SuperGrafx again.
AND HOLY FUCKING SHIT
...and what? Don't tease us like this! Please, I implore you, PLEASE tell us if Battle Ace (the SuperGrafx game) supports analog controls (and thus can be used with the CyberStick).
Please tell us ASAP!
I would also like to know.
The punchline's staring at you in the face, guys! [-(
lol, is this for real?
Oh my god. None of you will ever believe this. Seriously, you will never ever believe this. You will never believe how strongly you won't believe this. Every time you see those pixies in your coffee cup, Jesus in your gas tank, and Captain Crunch on your Crunch cereal box, are all 0.99239428u39422343294832943289438493284932849348 times more believable then this fantastically rich, creamy, and soiled tale of lustful forgiveness in a world of toxic peanut butter wine.
It will blow your mind to the moon. Then to Pizza-Hut. Then to Cowboy Sushi Fest. And then your mind will be somewhere on the other side. The other side where buffalo only roam when they really want too. The other side where there are no reindeer, only deerrein. The other side where rabid killer vaginas are so innocent, pure, and scrambled. The other side where the cow's no longer produce milk, but only Listerine. And that Listerine is so omnipotent, that it's feared above all else. Even the half-emu, half-chimera, half-tricycle boxer shorts bow down to it's adulterous grace.
Warning if you continue to read this story, you will be in a joyous semi-funk, ankle halo, quarter-crown sense of logical bewilderment. Your eyes will deafen, your ears will blur, your tongue's taste sensitive scabies will self-soil, and your nose will simply ejaculate. Ejaculate into pure, wrought-plastic frequency modulated magazines. Yes you have been warned. Do not be mistaken you have been warned! Dear heathens, you have had the lightest, most sweetest, virgin throttling, knee-cap growing warning of your entire lives!
And don't be mistaken, your lives are so meaningless, they have the utmost importance in the natural order of shrunken wombats. Yes the holy order of post-prepubescent, lactating, god adoring atheist cheese-roaches. That dear reader, is where you truly belong. It is where your heart will plant a single root, not a seed, as your penis is broken, but instead, you will tear off your penis with the bark of a young air snake, and drive it .02mm into the ground. And it will become the most wonderous non-teleportation beam you could ever hope to imagine.
Do not take my warnings lightly, or you may only find true happy joy joy.
So on to the story. Today was Saturday. Yes that beloved day skanky female vermin dance in the air to clean out the stench of dry semen. Semen that they dream about since the day of the first great Sumerian laser-cassette. But that is just a normal Saturday. While today was NOT. This was the Saturday where all 7 days of the week align in perfect order. Yes! it was actually Sunday, followed by Monday, then Tuesday, then Wednesday, and after came Thursday, then amazingly Friday showed it's disheveled canadian come-over, and lastly Saturday actually came. Yes all 7 days occured in that most holy order. This has not happened in at least 7 days. This thought alone should make the reader be wary, as this simply CAN NOT BE!
So there it was a simply Intelligent Controller, named the Cyberstick. It was made of gold, gold from Tatsujicus! Such a more common metal can not be found in this equilibrium. Sitting roughly 10.32304302402940329049238429384 micro lightyears away, was a SuperGrafx. Yes that totally non-orgasmic piece of charcoal doped tang. Such a volcanic juice glass of a placement. I was scared, so scared that my very sock would run away into ash. But I did it, I connected the two, with all the grace of the one true purple people eater.
Finally I looked at Battle Ace. And it looked straight back at me. We matched each other up, both highly aroused by a total lack of any passion. We were like true French lovers, meaning we didn't even know each other's name nor age, nor species. We just had to fuck, like peppermint grapefruits. So with steady drunken pinky rings. We became one. Yes we did that which must not be even thought of. The rapture was more boring then any non living thing could ever hope to partially imagine. And you know what? It still totally does not work.
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 04/21/2012, 10:16 AMOh my god. None of you will ever believe this. Seriously, you will never ever believe this. You will never believe how strongly you won't believe this. Every time you see those pixies in your coffee cup, Jesus in your gas tank, and Captain Crunch on your Crunch cereal box.
...
...
...
...We just had to fuck, like peppermint grapefruits. So with steady drunken pinky rings. We became one. Yes we did that which must not be even thought of. The rapture was more boring then any non living thing could ever hope to partially imagine. And you know what? It still totally does not work.
So, it doesn't work?
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 04/21/2012, 10:16 AMOh my god. None of you will ever believe this. Seriously, you will never ever believe this. You will never believe how strongly you won't believe this. Every time you see those pixies in your coffee cup, Jesus in your gas tank, and Captain Crunch on your Crunch cereal box, are all 0.99239428u39422343294832943289438493284932849348 times more believable then this fantastically rich, creamy, and soiled tale of lustful forgiveness in a world of toxic peanut butter wine.
It will blow your mind to the moon. Then to Pizza-Hut. Then to Cowboy Sushi Fest. And then your mind will be somewhere on the other side. The other side where buffalo only roam when they really want too. The other side where there are no reindeer, only deerrein. The other side where rabid killer vaginas are so innocent, pure, and scrambled. The other side where the cow's no longer produce milk, but only Listerine. And that Listerine is so omnipotent, that it's feared above all else. Even the half-emu, half-chimera, half-tricycle boxer shorts bow down to it's adulterous grace.
Warning if you continue to read this story, you will be in a joyous semi-funk, ankle halo, quarter-crown sense of logical bewilderment. Your eyes will deafen, your ears will blur, your tongue's taste sensitive scabies will self-soil, and your nose will simply ejaculate. Ejaculate into pure, wrought-plastic frequency modulated magazines. Yes you have been warned. Do not be mistaken you have been warned! Dear heathens, you have had the lightest, most sweetest, virgin throttling, knee-cap growing warning of your entire lives!
And don't be mistaken, your lives are so meaningless, they have the utmost importance in the natural order of shrunken wombats. Yes the holy order of post-prepubescent, lactating, god adoring atheist cheese-roaches. That dear reader, is where you truly belong. It is where your heart will plant a single root, not a seed, as your penis is broken, but instead, you will tear off your penis with the bark of a young air snake, and drive it .02mm into the ground. And it will become the most wonderous non-teleportation beam you could ever hope to imagine.
Do not take my warnings lightly, or you may only find true happy joy joy.
So on to the story. Today was Saturday. Yes that beloved day skanky female vermin dance in the air to clean out the stench of dry semen. Semen that they dream about since the day of the first great Sumerian laser-cassette. But that is just a normal Saturday. While today was NOT. This was the Saturday where all 7 days of the week align in perfect order. Yes! it was actually Sunday, followed by Monday, then Tuesday, then Wednesday, and after came Thursday, then amazingly Friday showed it's disheveled canadian come-over, and lastly Saturday actually came. Yes all 7 days occured in that most holy order. This has not happened in at least 7 days. This thought alone should make the reader be wary, as this simply CAN NOT BE!
So there it was a simply Intelligent Controller, named the Cyberstick. It was made of gold, gold from Tatsujicus! Such a more common metal can not be found in this equilibrium. Sitting roughly 10.32304302402940329049238429384 micro lightyears away, was a SuperGrafx. Yes that totally non-orgasmic piece of charcoal doped tang. Such a volcanic juice glass of a placement. I was scared, so scared that my very sock would run away into ash. But I did it, I connected the two, with all the grace of the one true purple people eater.
Finally I looked at Battle Ace. And it looked straight back at me. We matched each other up, both highly aroused by a total lack of any passion. We were like true French lovers, meaning we didn't even know each other's name nor age, nor species. We just had to fuck, like peppermint grapefruits. So with steady drunken pinky rings. We became one. Yes we did that which must not be even thought of. The rapture was more boring then any non living thing could ever hope to partially imagine. And you know what? It still totally does not work.
*This* is why I love this forum.
*applause* :D