http://sega-addicts.murnaumusic.com/?p=37725
(https://web.archive.org/web/20130619015019im_/http://sega-addicts.murnaumusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Sega-pluto-small.jpg)
A former Sega console engineer has shown off a previously unheard of prototype console named the Sega Pluto. The machine, pictured above, is a Sega Saturn with a built in NetLink 28.8k dial-up modem module allowing for online play. It's fully functional and is also a region locked, USA NTSC model.The Sega Pluto is only one of two working prototypes. The pictured console is Sega Pluto No. 2 and the current whereabouts of Sega Pluto No. 1 are unknown.The Sega Pluto has the following features:
Dial-up modem for online play
Two controller ports
Flip top drive bay
Cartridge slot
Power and reset buttons
Lots of vents
Very heavy
AWESOME.
Looking closely its pretty obvious the thing has a standard mainboard since the battery door, controller ports, AV, etc are all in the standard position. I'd imagine the case is different and the modem is an off-the-rack ISA version of whatever the Netlink was based on soldered to a cart port switch.
I would have loved one of these back in the day since I wouldn't have had to do the fucking cart port dance quite as often. :)
wild! i love when stuff like this gets unearthed.
That's the first thing I thought when I saw this... "Did they fix that cartridge port?"
Cool looking system though, even though it is obvious it never had any retail potential.
awsome stuff. thx :)
but why is it called "pluto", when it clearly reads "saturn" on it? :lol:
Neat. It's cool to see and learn about what could have been. I just wish it was less fugly.
thats pretty awesome.
Very nice :)
What's even more awesome is Unit 001 was identified the day after this was posted.
http://youtu.be/XaRXP4TgBmg
Quote from: wavering on 04/19/2013, 07:21 AMWhat's even more awesome is Unit 001 was identified the day after this was posted.
http://youtu.be/XaRXP4TgBmg
So cool!
Another flea market find?! Unreal.
There is something up with this video. He's a guy that owns three different Saturns, knows that Three Dirty Dwarves is THE American game to show...but aparently, supposedly, didn't know that this unit was anything special when he supposedly found it for $1 five or six years ago at a flea market? I'm not the hugest Saturn fan in the world but me and everyone else I know that does video games would instantly freak the fuck out if we saw this thing. It's instantly identifiable as special a mile away, even if it is the next Aero Fighters 3.
Even a standard Saturn is worth more than $1 at a flea market if it works.
If it is a scam someone will expose it. He's the kind if shmuck that plays 4:3 games in 16:9 so clearly his attention to detail is for shit.
...unless playing games stretched is just part of a disguse?
As a huge Saturn fan I agree with Zeta. Anyone with eyes could tell this was special. $1 at a flee market? Sounds sketchy to me.
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/19/2013, 01:01 PMThere is something up with this video. He's a guy that owns three different Saturns, knows that Three Dirty Dwarves is THE American game to show...but aparently, supposedly, didn't know that this unit was anything special when he supposedly found it for $1 five or six years ago at a flea market? I'm not the hugest Saturn fan in the world but me and everyone else I know that does video games would instantly freak the fuck out if we saw this thing. It's instantly identifiable as special a mile away, even if it is the next Aero Fighters 3.
Even a standard Saturn is worth more than $1 at a flea market if it works.
If it is a scam someone will expose it. He's the kind if shmuck that plays 4:3 games in 16:9 so clearly his attention to detail is for shit.
...unless playing games stretched is just part of a disguse?
Nail on the head. I'm glad someone thought the same way - as soon as he was like "...and here's the Japanese Saturn" I called bullshit.
I still think the Goodwill Stadium Events thing is bullshit too.
lol @ these ~*magical flea markets*~ where people claim to find renny blaster, darius alpha and now a sega pluto.
can't wait for the time gal ld-rom and neo turf masters to surface at village discount.
Quote from: ElSeven on 04/19/2013, 03:35 PMlol @ these ~*magical flea markets*~ where people claim to find renny blaster, darius alpha and now a sega pluto.
So you would call bullshit if I told you I saw a loosey Magical Chase at a flea market for $3 in a miscellaneous bin back in the early 2000's? Thing looked like it was sat in the middle of a demo derby, label was just distinguishable. At the time, didn't seem worth it as I thought it would be easy to get ahold of loose and in better shape for a few bucks more. Kick myself now everytime I think about it.
Hell, I remember passing it up for $30 at a Toys R Us bitd. Bought Legendary Axe 2 and Victory Run instead. ](*,)
Um...Magical Chase is a full retail product that was manufactured by the thousands. One sat on the shelf at my local EB for a year until it was bought back by the distributor.
Little known fact: the "magical" in Magical Chase does not mean its actually magical. It's just a TG16 game like any other.
This is (supposedly) a prototype piece of hardware that was never released, announced, or even shown to the public. Its exponentially more rare and valuable than MC (again, assuming its actually real).