(https://web.archive.org/web/20130828185843im_/http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18yf0lc45gmofgif/ku-bigpic.gif)
8-[
http://kotaku.com/introducing-the-nintendo-2ds-no-thats-not-a-typo-1214807721
Seriously. I really think I hear farmers and cows...
I have 2 kids that have 3DS XLs with 3D disabled. They should have used the same form factor and removed 3D and gave it a new color to differentiate.
I don't want one, but it looks kind of cool. I'll bet it's more comfortable than a 3ds, since the dpad is in the middle.
It's fucking hilariously awesome. It's just so "WTF?!" that I love it.
But seriously, I have no idea why the dropped the clamshell design, but whatever. They're putting it out day-and-date with Pokemon X/Y, so this is basically the Duplo version of the 3DS, I guess.
Goofy and not so portable... :-k
If I wanted a more economical portable, I'd just get a used 3DS or a DS.
2DS: I'd like to try it out. Even though it seems weird to remove clamshell (a cost-cutting measure that reduces portability/convenience), I'm curious about how it feels.
RED MINI Wii: Speaking of interesting redesigned Nintendo hardware...did anyone here buy one of those CUTE AS HELL COMPACT RED MINI-MINI Wii's that someone posted a pic of months and months ago? I believe it was slated only for Europe (why?).
I think they sold mini wiis in canada as well
Quote from: Duo_R on 08/28/2013, 12:03 PMI have 2 kids that have 3DS XLs with 3D disabled. They should have used the same form factor and removed 3D and gave it a new color to differentiate.
If you don't mind me asking, how old are they?
I wouldn't buy my 5yr old a dedicated $130 gaming system, but that's Nintendo's starting target audience range for this. Even on the video you can see it. The Dad has a 3DS XL, the kid has the 2DS.
I totally love it from a WTF angle btw.
And I bet there is no support for the Circle Pad Pro either. It's not April Nintendo, you are doing this wrong.
Quote from: esteban on 08/28/2013, 12:22 PMSpeaking of interesting redesigned Nintendo hardware...did anyone here buy one of those CUTE AS HELL COMPACT RED MINI-MINI Wii's that someone posted a pic of months and months ago? I believe it was slated only for Europe (why?).
I'm not sure if anyone did considering how incredibly gimped it is (no Wi-Fi, no video outputs other than composite, absolutely no GameCube support). It seems like it was only released in Canada, they never released it anywhere else.
Yeah, this isn't like Nintendo. The downgraded portable consoles usually come towards the END of their respective handheld's lifetimes... unless :-k
Apart from ocarina of time i turn the 3d off on mine and if i play for more than 45 or so minutes my hands really hurt. If it is more ergonomical and people don't necessarily want the 3d seems to make sense.
I just don't quite get why they're abandoning the clamshell design. I suppose one could argue that they're trying to corner the tablet/smartphone market, but this is what I hate most of all about that: no screen protection. At least nothing that comes with the system itself. You gotta buy that tape stuff. :P
Quote from: SmaMan on 08/28/2013, 03:01 PMI just don't quite get why they're abandoning the clamshell design. I suppose one could argue that they're trying to corner the tablet/smartphone market, but this is what I hate most of all about that: no screen protection. At least nothing that comes with the system itself. You gotta buy that tape stuff. :P
Bingo!
New iphones come out soon, kids will want shit for Xmas, clam shell designs can break. Giver you kid the Nintendo love at a reasonable price. Oh and buy the accessories to help you protect that screen and wait until we unleash the add-ons....how exactly is Kid Icarus played on this?
I think it's a good design for kids. My son already has an XL, but I would consider getting this for him if he didn't as he's only six. I read an article about it over on USGamer.net where Jeremy Parish said it was a very comfortable design and feels quite a bit more sturdy than the XL.
I wonder how hackable it is.
It's for the kids. And the clam shell obviously is removed for stability reasons.
Kids always break that jaw easily.
Huh, as either the cause or effect of this, looks like this dual-screened device is made with only one screen... (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/08/nintendo_2ds_is_actually_made_with_just_one_screen)
lol, I nearly thougt so. It would have be even been even rather if they actually drawed one screen from the top to the bottom. But that would have again been more difficult to design and accomplish.
It's probably the same screen used in the wiiu gamepad
I think it looks cool, and might just get one. I don't take advantage of the portability of handhelds so I don't care that it doesn't fold. It looks like it will be more comfortable to hold for someone with larger hands, like me. I have a bunch of DS games that I haven't played yet because the DS is just not comfortable to hold.
I plan on canceling my ps4 pre order and picking this up. I really like the weird design. I have a 3DS (zelda model) and 3DS XL (pikachu model) but as people have said, it can get uncomfortable. Also, i really hate how the top portion of the 3ds moves if you have it tilted down, or moves if you just move around with the 3DS in your hand.
The biggest problem with Nintendo is that you can't share your profile across systems. I really would like this 2DS, because I hardly play with 3D on and I usually am playing at home and not using the system as a portable.
With that said, I have a lot of downloaded games on my 3DS and there are times I do want to put it in my pocket to get street passes (just hit 450 last week!). If I could share my profile, this would be a great addition to my 3DS library.
BTW - What are you supposed to do in Mario 3D Land on the stages that have the special 3D icon which indicates it needs to be played in 3D? You just kinda get fucked?
^ you can't share the profile, but you can transfer it over right ?
one problem I have with the 3DSLL and turned off 3D is that the picture looks kinda ugly compared with 3D on. therefore I have it almost always turned on but set on the minimum.
it's strange but the picture looks so edged and kinda more pixlated with 2D off, probably due to the low resolution of the 3DS and that it is explicit designed for 3D use. so now since the 2DS shares the same 2D display of the lower one this issue should not be present anymore.
Quote from: munchiaz on 08/28/2013, 10:16 PM^ you can't share the profile, but you can transfer it over right ?
yeah, you can transfer all datas few times from one to an other device. at least 3 times or so iirc.
Quote from: munchiaz on 08/28/2013, 10:16 PM^ you can't share the profile, but you can transfer it over right ?
You can transfer, but then you can't transfer back.
So if I want to play my downloaded games at home on the presumed comfort of the 2DS, but then want to pick the game up again on the road on my 3DS, that isn't possible.
It should be more like the PSN, where you can access your content on up to 4 devices.
Someone mentioned many games rely on closing the system to solve puzzles. I have one game that does this so how would that work?
do you see the sleep slider-switch at the right bottom? that's how it works.
I'm gonna wait for reviews from people who own it. I don't have a 3DS, don't really care about the 3D aspect, as it bugs with my eyes, so 2D & cheaper is definitely good. Not quite as portable, but, I can deal with it.
there are games the 3D feat. adds a lot of more fun (imo), and I wouldn't want to waive the 3D feat. on those.
- racing games (at the moment in the RR 3D fever)
- sega super scaler 3D releases (Space Harrier, Super Hang on, galaxy force II so far)
may be others that I haven't tried yet.
but not everyone can handle the 3D equally. so yeah, for some peeps it definitely is no fun gainer.
Cool, I really want to hate this thing, but part of me sees a vintage look to it so I find myself intrigued. It's weird.
QuoteCEO Kaz Hirai @KazHiraiCEO
I'm suing Nintendo. Making a 2D handheld that nobody wants is an idea they stole from the PS Vita
teh kaz again :lol:
Didn't see this posted yet, and it NEEDS to be shared, so I'm posting and sharing lol
http://youtu.be/snHLBJTNxTU
Quote from: whisper2053 on 08/29/2013, 07:29 AMDidn't see this posted yet, and it NEEDS to be shared, so I'm posting and sharing lol
HAHAHAHAHAHA!
And I was at the very beginning thinking "why don't make it one big screen instead of two, since there is no hinge anymore which would hinder this issue, and therefore would be much cooler". And what did they? They did in fact one single screen, but then just faking two screens with it.
Well a lot of games take advantage of that screen separation, that said, I've seen iPhone ports of games like Phoenix Wright work around that pretty well.
Quote from: Tatsujin on 08/31/2013, 11:47 PMAnd I was at the very beginning thinking "why don't make it one big screen instead of two, since there is no hinge anymore which would hinder this issue, and therefore would be much cooler". And what did they? They did in fact one single screen, but then just faking two screens with it.
Because it would look too much like a tablet, which from a branding pov is not what Nintendo wants.
Will we ever see a 4DS.... Four screens in one portable!!!!
For racing games you hold it close to your head and if you hinge the portable around your head it like being inside the car!
PSP was my last portable console, then it's been just android phone and tablet since then.
This weird Nintendo experiment, I don't know, I may get it. It all depends on what unofficial stuff you can do to it
Quote from: Duo_R on 09/03/2013, 12:00 PMWill we ever see a 4DS.... Four screens in one portable!!!!
For racing games you hold it close to your head and if you hinge the portable around your head it like being inside the car!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA
Quote from: Nando on 09/03/2013, 11:34 AMQuote from: Tatsujin on 08/31/2013, 11:47 PMAnd I was at the very beginning thinking "why don't make it one big screen instead of two, since there is no hinge anymore which would hinder this issue, and therefore would be much cooler". And what did they? They did in fact one single screen, but then just faking two screens with it.
Because it would look too much like a tablet, which from a branding pov is not what Nintendo wants.
http://nintendo1ds.com/
#-o
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
This ain't no TRUE STORY, right? :lol:
Quote from: whisper2053 on 09/03/2013, 07:53 PMQuote from: Nando on 09/03/2013, 11:34 AMQuote from: Tatsujin on 08/31/2013, 11:47 PMAnd I was at the very beginning thinking "why don't make it one big screen instead of two, since there is no hinge anymore which would hinder this issue, and therefore would be much cooler". And what did they? They did in fact one single screen, but then just faking two screens with it.
Because it would look too much like a tablet, which from a branding pov is not what Nintendo wants.
http://nintendo1ds.com/
#-o
Hahahahahah well done, really well done
Quote from: Nando on 09/03/2013, 09:16 PMQuote from: whisper2053 on 09/03/2013, 07:53 PMQuote from: Nando on 09/03/2013, 11:34 AMQuote from: Tatsujin on 08/31/2013, 11:47 PMAnd I was at the very beginning thinking "why don't make it one big screen instead of two, since there is no hinge anymore which would hinder this issue, and therefore would be much cooler". And what did they? They did in fact one single screen, but then just faking two screens with it.
Because it would look too much like a tablet, which from a branding pov is not what Nintendo wants.
http://nintendo1ds.com/
#-o
Hahahahahah well done, really well done
I wonder if Nintendo will contact that guy?
They are usually all over this stuff.
*Not actually a real device or price. See dreams for details.
:lol: