PCEngine-FX.com

NEC PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 Games/Consoles => Console Repair/Mod Center => Topic started by: SmokeMonster on 03/03/2015, 07:07 PM

Title: Easy TG16 TurboTap to PC Engine Cable Swap + Extension
Post by: SmokeMonster on 03/03/2015, 07:07 PM
It's easy to convert a TurboTap to use Turbografx-16 controllers on a PC Engine. I used Monoprice's $1.90 MDIN8 6ft extension (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10215&cs_id=1021501&p_id=534&seq=1&format=2) cable. You could also drill a hole in the TurboTap and have both a TG16 and PCE plug attached at the same time. The PCE Multitap can be converted to a TG16 using this same method with a large DIN-8 cable.

Simply unplug the original TG16 cable connector. Then solder the mini DIN-8 cable to the bottom of the PCB below the controller connector, matching the original wire colors (except grey is now black). From the top, the colors will be:
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Purple
Blue
Black
Brown
Bare ground shield

(?action=dlattach&topic=18684.0&attach=9836&image)
(?action=dlattach&topic=18684.0&attach=9838&image)
(?action=dlattach&topic=18684.0&attach=9840&image)
(?action=dlattach&topic=18684.0&attach=9842&image)
(?action=dlattach&topic=18684.0&attach=9844&image)
There is a single 10uF 50v capacitor (obscured here by the grey cable) that can be replaced while you're in there.

(?action=dlattach&topic=18684.0&attach=9846&image)
Both TG16 and PCE cables attached.

I did this while traveling and had brought along a pencil iron instead of my Hakko 928 station, so the soldering doesn't look so pretty. I tested the TurboTap on a Turbo Duo.
Title: Re: Easy TG16 TurboTap to PC Engine Cable Swap + Extension
Post by: poponon on 03/03/2015, 07:58 PM
Thanks for posting this smoke. I had already ordered the cable a bit ago to do this mod as well as build some custom controllers. This will definitely come in handy
Title: Re: Easy TG16 TurboTap to PC Engine Cable Swap + Extension
Post by: Waterclocker on 03/05/2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks for this!  I might build this and then I can clear out some of the extra controllers I keep around for Bomberman!