PCEngine-FX.com

Other Discussions => General Gaming => Topic started by: Otaking on 04/23/2016, 06:57 PM

Title: Super Mario Bros. New Speedrun World Record
Post by: Otaking on 04/23/2016, 06:57 PM
Super Mario Bros. new speedrun world record.
http://youtu.be/Ev-QpxN8wPo
Title: Re: New Super Mario Bros. Speedrun World Record
Post by: bob on 04/23/2016, 07:20 PM
oh.
Title: Re: New Super Mario Bros. Speedrun World Record
Post by: PukeSter on 04/23/2016, 11:30 PM
Haha trick title. Actually saw this the other day.

Can someone explain to me why people speed run? It's much more time consuming than just playing games for the fun and accomplishment of beating them.
Title: Re: New Super Mario Bros. Speedrun World Record
Post by: sirhcman on 04/23/2016, 11:45 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/23/2016, 11:30 PMCan someone explain to me why people speed run? It's much more time consuming than just playing games for the fun and accomplishment of beating them.
I'm sure there are other reasons but for me I would liken it to trying to obtain a high score on an arcade style game. It is a way of putting a value on how good you are at a game
Title: Re: New Super Mario Bros. Speedrun World Record
Post by: Vecanti on 04/23/2016, 11:56 PM
Made that same run in 1989...with a Power Glove.
Title: Re: New Super Mario Bros. Speedrun World Record
Post by: Otaking on 04/24/2016, 05:22 AM
Quote from: guest on 04/23/2016, 11:30 PMHaha trick title.
That was a mistake, I'll move the position of "new" in the thread title.
 :D
Title: Re: Super Mario Bros. New Speedrun World Record
Post by: TheClash603 on 04/24/2016, 09:52 AM
Quote from: guest on 04/23/2016, 11:45 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/23/2016, 11:30 PMCan someone explain to me why people speed run? It's much more time consuming than just playing games for the fun and accomplishment of beating them.
I'm sure there are other reasons but for me I would liken it to trying to obtain a high score on an arcade style game. It is a way of putting a value on how good you are at a game
When I watch the Olympics, I always wonder why the sprinters don't just walk to the finish line, it would take less effort.

I have never done a speed run, but I have watched a few and they are quite impressive.  Just like there is a high score thread on here, speed runs breathe new life into old games and allow for competition with a simple measurable determination of who is the best.
Title: Re: New Super Mario Bros. Speedrun World Record
Post by: crazydean on 04/24/2016, 01:45 PM
Quote from: Vecanti on 04/23/2016, 11:56 PMMade that same run in 1989...with a Power Glove.
That should totally be a thing. Power glove speed run!
Title: Re: Super Mario Bros. New Speedrun World Record
Post by: Nazi NecroPhile on 04/25/2016, 12:03 PM
Speed runs are somewhat interesting when it takes skill to get through so quickly, but not so much when they have to exploit a bunch of silly glitches.  In any case, videos of 'em are only good as proof if you're competing with someone else and not much fun to just watch.
Title: Re: Super Mario Bros. New Speedrun World Record
Post by: sirhcman on 04/25/2016, 12:27 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/25/2016, 12:03 PMIn any case, videos of 'em are only good as proof if you're competing with someone else and not much fun to just watch.
AGDQ and SGDQ typically average 150,000+ constant viewers throughout their entire week long broadcasts so you may not like it but it is very popular
Title: Re: New Super Mario Bros. Speedrun World Record
Post by: NightWolve on 04/25/2016, 12:40 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/23/2016, 11:30 PMCan someone explain to me why people speed run? It's much more time consuming than just playing games for the fun and accomplishment of beating them.
Talk to the resident expert, DarkKo.
Title: Re: Super Mario Bros. New Speedrun World Record
Post by: Nazi NecroPhile on 04/25/2016, 12:52 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/25/2016, 12:27 PMAGDQ and SGDQ typically average 150,000+ constant viewers throughout their entire week long broadcasts so you may not like it but it is very popular
Obviously I was speaking of my own enjoyment.  "Fun" is not an absolute to be applied to all people everywhere, so try using some common sense.
Title: Re: Super Mario Bros. New Speedrun World Record
Post by: bob on 04/25/2016, 01:33 PM
its ironic how much time is wasted is on speedruns.  i give the people credit for commiting that much effort to the games.  but, no thanks.  do it for yourself if you want to, but why share it?  that part i dont get.
Title: Re: Super Mario Bros. New Speedrun World Record
Post by: MrMaffew on 04/25/2016, 07:22 PM
Personally, I could see speedrunning being fun on a game that you enjoyed a lot and it would allow you to play it over and over again. However, I don't have the patience for speed runs and would get frustrated way too quickly.
Title: Re: Super Mario Bros. New Speedrun World Record
Post by: seieienbu on 04/26/2016, 03:56 AM
I'm often curious how quickly a game that I like can be beaten by someone who is more intimately familiar with the game than I have the patience to be.  Watching speed runs of old classics, (both TAS from a theoretical standpoint or actually played by a live human) can be quite entertaining.
Title: Re: Super Mario Bros. New Speedrun World Record
Post by: Enternal on 04/30/2016, 11:10 AM
Its just another way to play a game. I occasionally will watch a speed run after I beat a game to see how certain challenges were dealt with. Its interesting to see how much difficulty changes in some games just by approaching a enemy or boss with your character facing backwards. In such that you can move faster, or enemies wont attack..etc