PCEngine-FX.com

NEC PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 Games/Consoles => PCE/TG-16|CD/SGX Discussion => Topic started by: Mishran on 02/28/2011, 02:24 PM

Title: J.J. and Jeff Hucard w/ missing contacts
Post by: Mishran on 02/28/2011, 02:24 PM
Hey folks, new here. I won a Turbo game lot off eBay years ago that also included two oddities. First was a pirate copy of a dodgeball game (which is not the subject here) and a mutilated J.J. and Jeff. Well the J.J. and Jeff hucard is missing 4 of its contacts. It almost appears as though it was done for a reason as it doesnt exactly appear to be random pins, though I could be wrong. When inserted in the system the game starts and plays fine with no scrambled music or sprites and controls work fine. I've done searches on the internet and even checked ebay to see if I could find any other hucards that might be defaced in a similar manner with no luck. Just wondering if anyone on here might have seen or heard of something similar to this.

To note, I'm not sure which pins on the chip does what, but the missing contacts (if the card is face up and the pins at the top) are the first pin, pin 11, pin 21, and pin 38 (last pin).
Title: Re: J.J. and Jeff Hucard w/ missing contacts
Post by: JoshTurboTrollX on 02/28/2011, 03:11 PM
pics man- we must see this.
Title: Re: J.J. and Jeff Hucard w/ missing contacts
Post by: Mishran on 02/28/2011, 03:20 PM
Scanner made image of the hucard attached to first post.
Title: Re: J.J. and Jeff Hucard w/ missing contacts
Post by: esteban on 02/28/2011, 03:31 PM
Some folks, who shall remain nameless, began a campaign many years ago to wipe JJ & Jeff from our collective memory.

This would account for pin #1 and #11 being removed, but I'm at a loss to explain the remaining pins.
Title: Re: J.J. and Jeff Hucard w/ missing contacts
Post by: Mishran on 02/28/2011, 04:57 PM
Quote from: esteban on 02/28/2011, 03:31 PMSome folks, who shall remain nameless, began a campaign many years ago to wipe JJ & Jeff from our collective memory.

This would account for pin #1 and #11 being removed, but I'm at a loss to explain the remaining pins.
Interesting, would you be willing to explain in more detail? The nameless party can remain nameless, I'm just interested in knowing the reason for mutilating the game in such a way. If said party attempted to make the game unplayable, they failed with this card. The game is certainly odd, but it isn't entirely bad. It can be entertaining if given a chance.
Title: Re: J.J. and Jeff Hucard w/ missing contacts
Post by: BlueBMW on 02/28/2011, 07:49 PM
I vote that it was used as an ice scraper some winter long ago! :lol:
Title: Re: J.J. and Jeff Hucard w/ missing contacts
Post by: Nazi NecroPhile on 03/02/2011, 12:06 PM
Are you playing this in a TG-16 or a Duo?  The reason I ask is that the first pin is for HuCard detection (according to the interwebz, but what does Al Gore know about OBEY?), so I'd expect a Duo to ignore the card and run the internal system card instead.

I'm guessing the other three pins are unused: pin 11 is address line #3, pin 21 is data line #5, and pin 38 is +5 volts (why would a plain ol' HuCard need power?).
Title: Re: J.J. and Jeff Hucard w/ missing contacts
Post by: OldMan on 03/02/2011, 03:18 PM
QuoteI'm guessing the other three pins are unused: pin 11 is address line #3, pin 21 is data line #5, and pin 38 is +5 volts (why would a plain ol' HuCard need power?).
[\quote]

Can I call BullkSh*t here? Even despite the fact that the chip isn't getting any power (pin 38),
there's no way it would work correctly with an address pin AND a data line missing.

And necro, the Hucard needs power to run the prom on it.  The only -possible- way it would work is if it's jammmed really hard into the connector, so that the very bottom of the pins is making contact.
Title: Re: J.J. and Jeff Hucard w/ missing contacts
Post by: TurboXray on 03/02/2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah, looking at the pic that's exactly what I had thought. The only way for that hucard to work, is if it's pushed far enough in that what's left of the pin, that tiny stub, is somehow making contact.
Title: Re: J.J. and Jeff Hucard w/ missing contacts
Post by: OldRover on 03/02/2011, 04:56 PM
The utter sarcasm of Necro's post was totally lost on you two. :D :lol:
Title: Re: J.J. and Jeff Hucard w/ missing contacts
Post by: Mishran on 03/02/2011, 05:41 PM
I never expected anyone to believe what I say is true, because I'm confused by it myself. That's the reason I posted here in the first place. To perhaps get some answers to this mystery. But I'm telling you it does work. Perhaps there is just enough contact left to make a connection. Pics and videos can easily be faked I know, so if anyone lives near the south/central PA region I'd be more than happy to show it in person to prove I'm being truthful. I've played it on a TG16 system not a DUO. Not sure if it may make a difference, which I doubt it would. Anyway, thanks for shedding a little light on this subject and for the sarcasm. Much appreciated.
Title: Re: J.J. and Jeff Hucard w/ missing contacts
Post by: Nazi NecroPhile on 03/02/2011, 05:44 PM
Quote from: TheOldMan on 03/02/2011, 03:18 PMCan I call BullkSh*t here?
No, however you can call BULLSHIT; say it loud, say it proud.  As you say, it's probably still making contact.

Quote from: The Old Rover on 03/02/2011, 04:56 PMThe utter sarcasm of Necro's post was totally lost on you two. :D :lol:
Nah, you give me too much credit; I was just spit-balling.
Title: Re: J.J. and Jeff Hucard w/ missing contacts
Post by: OldRover on 03/02/2011, 06:45 PM
Seriously, Mishran... I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. The contact points of the hucard slot are pretty long... you can tell just how long by looking at some used hucard contact edges and seeing the slight grooves in them. The hucard was clearly mistreated over the course of its life.