RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

PC Engine Game Reviews & Manuals

Started by lkermel, 06/15/2009, 01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPlay

Still loving the site. Nice recent updates  :-)

lkermel

New update and manual:

Don Doko Don - PC Engine

@SuperPlay & JoshTurboTrollX-16
Thanks a lot mates, I really appreciate your feedback !!!! I've been going a lot more in depth with the reviews and extra information, and have been doing a lot more research (I have a bunch of old PC Engine mags now with a lot of information in them). I find this era of video gaming absolutely fascinating :)

lkermel

Added manuals for Bouken Danshaken Don (PCE), Bravoman (PCE) and Burning Angels (PCE)

Ya !

lkermel

SuperPlay

Nice to see that you are keeping up the good work :-)

lkermel

Thanks a lot SuperPlay :)
My free time is currently rather scarce, but I still love spending a couple of hours a week on the site, adding or updating reviews here and there, so there's more PC Engine love to come ! :D

Obfuscate

Yes, great job on the site I check it often.

lkermel

New update and manual:

Cyber Core - PC Engine

@Obfuscate
Yahooo ! It's always a good day for me when someone likes and uses the site. Thanks a lot Obfuscate for your awesome feedback and I'm so glad you find the site and its content useful :D

Bardoly

Hey man, I enjoy your site as well.  :)

lkermel

lkermel

SuperPlay

A few more nice updates to your site :-)

Otaking

Keep it up Laurent, after all these years VGD continues to be my first stop site for game reviews on the web.  8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

lkermel

New update and manual:

Strider Hiryuu - PC Engine

@SuperPlay
Thanks mate! I've been updating a lot of old reviews (some are over ten years old!). I still have a lot to go through... I also have tons of Japanese PC Engine ads/info to scan and add to the site :)

@HardcoreOtaku
Thank you so much for your support!!! I'm so glad you like the site. Although it is all 'niche' information, I sometimes wish VGDen was more popular... but this still hasn't prevented me from incessantly working at it :D

lkermel

lkermel

Ceti Alpha

Still loving your site, Ikermel! Love that you are still kickin' out the reviews! :)

OBEY!
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

lkermel

New review and manual:

Sylphia - PC Engine

Ya!

@ceti alpha
My new job has been keeping me really really busy, and yet I manage to update my website from time to time - I just CAN'T STOP playing with my PC Engine :)

Elder

Fantastic reviews Ikermel.  My YouTube reviews pale in comparison to this greatness.  Here's an example of one of my reviews.  Color me impressed with your reviews :)

Bardoly

Quote from: lkermel on 06/14/2014, 09:44 PMNew review and manual:

Sylphia - PC Engine

Ya!
Great review!

Keep the PC Engine reviews coming.   [-o<

toktogul

good job on your website. i use it everysingle days. its an amazing ressources while hunting for games online and in store. your reviews are straight to the point and there is always more general infos when im on the fence on a title. thanks again for creating this awesome website!

esteban

lkermel—I may have said this years ago, but one of the features of your site that I love = listing a game's credits. I know, I know, these credits are rife with problems, but they are the mandatory starting point and I have often used your site for this information specifically.  :pcgs:

Of course, I hope you'll find time to write up another feature article on the PCE one of these days....
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SuperPlay

I missed this update, so I thought that I would post it here in case anyone else had:

July 18, 2014

Update : Cyber Cross (Hu) http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?cyc
Update : Cross Wiber (Hu) http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?ccp
Update : Gomola Speed (Hu) http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?gom

Manual Scans included, along with some interesting cheat/debug style codes.

Nice work lkermel :-)

lkermel

Thanks everyone for your awesome feedback!!! I haven't been able to work on the site too much, way too busy at work! But I recently purchased a lot of the 'crazy rare' games I was missing in my collection, so I'll try to post new reviews and pics soon.

Here's a new update and new manuals for you :)

Hanii in the Sky (PCE)
http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?his

Hanii on the Road (PCE)
http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?hor

@SuperPlay
Thanks for posting the update, I wonder how I missed posting it here... gettin'old I guess ;)

@esteban
I love fighting my way to the end of these games in hopes of finding out who created them. I also use this information all the time - this is why, a few years back, I thought that I should really share all of this information with others. I'm glad you find it useful - I'll carry on digging :)

@toktogul
Thank you :)

lkermel

Bardoly

Quote from: lkermel on 03/26/2015, 04:33 PMThanks everyone for your awesome feedback!!! I haven't been able to work on the site too much, way too busy at work! But I recently purchased a lot of the 'crazy rare' games I was missing in my collection, so I'll try to post new reviews and pics soon.
So..., which 'crazy rare' games were you able to pick up?  Or do we have to wait for the reviews?   :-"

lkermel

Ah ah! Yes, I went a bit crazy, but I thought that it was time for me to get those games I've always wanted... So I got Terra Cresta II (review coming next), Darius Alpha and the specials I was missing, PC Genjin 3 Taikenban, Bomberman Users Battle and.... The Power League gold HuCard :)

Bardoly

Quote from: lkermel on 05/22/2015, 10:52 AMAh ah! Yes, I went a bit crazy, but I thought that it was time for me to get those games I've always wanted... So I got Terra Cresta II (review coming next), Darius Alpha and the specials I was missing, PC Genjin 3 Taikenban, Bomberman Users Battle and.... The Power League gold HuCard :)
Wow!  That's nice!  Pics would still be nice.   :-"

Do you keep track of your PC Engine/TG-16 library on PCE Daisakusen!?  If so, which user name are you?

NecroPhile

Quote from: lkermel on 05/22/2015, 10:52 AMAh ah! Yes, I went a bit crazy, but I thought that it was time for me to get those games I've always wanted... So I got Terra Cresta II (review coming next), Darius Alpha and the specials I was missing, PC Genjin 3 Taikenban, Bomberman Users Battle and.... The Power League gold HuCard :)
Damn!  You trying to outdo kisaku in the "I hate money!" contest?  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 05/22/2015, 03:53 PM
Damn!  You trying to outdo kisaku in the "I hate money!" contest?  :mrgreen:
Hahaahhahahahahahahaha.

We have no idea if KISAKU is independently wealthy.

At least lkereml has a job and saves up the $$$$$.

:)

lkermel

Yeah, I'm not rich, far from it. Just been saving a lot and decided to finally purchase some of the games I've always wanted - I have to say, I've been collecting for a very very long time, and the feeling of finally touching and owning a copy of Darius Alpha is fairly intense  :D

lkermel

Hi everyone!
Sorry for the slow updates, but I have been really busy working on side projects and especially my own video game (!) . But I haven't forgotten about Video Game Den and here is another review! I've meant to add Terra Cresta II to the list of PC Engine games for a looong time. Here it is!!!!

New review & manual:

Terra Cresta II (PCE)
http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?te2

Yo!

Otaking

Great news, will check it out the new review.  :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

esteban

Quote from: lkermel on 08/14/2015, 05:36 PMHi everyone!
Sorry for the slow updates, but I have been really busy working on side projects and especially my own video game (!) . But I haven't forgotten about Video Game Den and here is another review! I've meant to add Terra Cresta II to the list of PC Engine games for a looong time. Here it is!!!!

New review & manual:

Terra Cresta II (PCE)
http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?te2

Yo!
Excellent, as always. :)

SuperPlay

Bardoly

lkermel,

I was looking at your great site again today, and I thought I'd like to say thanks for all of your hard work on it, and by the way, when's the next update?   :-"

SuperPlay

lkermel has posted this update on his twitter feed (@videogameden)

Updates and manuals:

Mashin Eiyūden Wataru (PCE)

http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?wat

Lady Sword (PCE)

http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?lad

lkermel

Ah ah, you got me here SuperPlay ;)

Yeah, it was too late last night to post about this new update, my brain was swimming in jello  :wink:  I played Lady Sword all the way to the end and added a couple of goodies to the review page, such as a bestiary, I'm still really impressed by the amount of enemies in this game!

@Bardoly
Thanks a lot mate, I really appreciate your awesome feedback! I've been really busy on other personal projects, but I always work on Video Game Den in the background and add new goodies here and there. I wish I had more free time and add new reviews more frequently.... oh well...

lkermel

Hi everyone!

Here's a new update with more manuals:

Legend of Hero Tonma - PC Engine
Saint Dragon - PC Engine

For anyone interested, the Legend of Hero Tonma page also has images for the unreleased Famicom version, including ads -  the game was surprisingly not released despite being nearly finished from what I can tell. Enjoy!

esteban

Quote from: lkermel on 03/03/2017, 12:03 AMHi everyone!

Here's a new update with more manuals:

Legend of Hero Tonma - PC Engine
Saint Dragon - PC Engine

For anyone interested, the Legend of Hero Tonma page also has images for the unreleased Famicom version, including ads -  the game was surprisingly not released despite being nearly finished from what I can tell. Enjoy!
Awesome! I didn't know about the Famicom version.

Thank you :)

lkermel

Hi everyone!

Here's a new update and manual:

Mad Stalker - PC Engine

@esteban
Thanks! I would love to see and play the Famicom version of Legend of Hero Tonma. It is such a shame that it was cancelled, because it looked virtually finished... I wonder why Irem decided to can it... the same thing happened with Meikyu Jima, well, the other way around actually, it was released for the Famicom but the PC Engine version was cancelled. So weird...

esteban

Quote from: lkermel on 03/21/2017, 02:31 PMHi everyone!

Here's a new update and manual:

Mad Stalker - PC Engine

@esteban
Thanks! I would love to see and play the Famicom version of Legend of Hero Tonma. It is such a shame that it was cancelled, because it looked virtually finished... I wonder why Irem decided to can it... the same thing happened with Meikyu Jima, well, the other way around actually, it was released for the Famicom but the PC Engine version was cancelled. So weird...
I know! It must be about $$$ and management either cutting losses or shifting strategies. Do we have any evidence of major personnel (executives) leaving IREM at the time the projects were cancelled?

Of course, it probably has nothing to do with drama like that.

Most likely a simple matter of "will we even break even if we release this?"

lkermel

NightWolve

Oh, it's you, you have an account here (been here 13 years I see)! I snagged some Final Blaster screenshots from your site some days ago, but had no idea you were a member. Thanks for the updates! :)

You've got a great page format, very informative, pretty, etc. I'll say that, but...one block wall-o-texts need to be broken up into paragraphs though. ;)

lkermel

Quote from: NightWolve on 06/11/2018, 08:01 PMOh, it's you, you have an account here (been here 13 years I see)! I snagged some Final Blaster screenshots from your site some days ago, but had no idea you were a member. Thanks for the updates! :)

You've got a great page format, very informative, pretty, etc. I'll say that, but...one block wall-o-texts need to be broken up into paragraphs though. ;)
Hi  NightWolve!

Yes, you're right, I've been around the forum for a long whiiiile, but I've been really busy with my side projects and my work, this is why I haven't been posting much these days... you're very welcome to use any screenshot from the website! Or any information you find there :)

About the paragraphs, do you think I should break down the game's descriptions into paragraphs for a better read? My website has evolved a lot throughout the years (I started a long time ago, around 2003 I think), so you're right, maybe I should edit parts of it. Please don't hesitate to send me more feedback, I'm always looking to improve things :)

Thanks again for your awesome feedback, I really appreciate it!

SuperPlay

Caught up with the June update :-) Great work, as always.

lkermel

Quote from: SuperPlay on 07/05/2018, 03:36 PMCaught up with the June update :-) Great work, as always.
Thank you mate!!!! :)

NightWolve

Quote from: lkermel on 07/05/2018, 01:42 PMAbout the paragraphs, do you think I should break down the game's descriptions into paragraphs for a better read? My website has evolved a lot throughout the years (I started a long time ago, around 2003 I think), so you're right, maybe I should edit parts of it. Please don't hesitate to send me more feedback, I'm always looking to improve things :)

Thanks again for your awesome feedback, I really appreciate it!
Yeah, I think what you're going for is the videogame magazine style, and a simple indentation would do the trick! You wouldn't need to double break either, just a break, indent, while maintaining the wrapping. I thought a blockquote does the trick, but it's actually a little bit more work than that with CSS to get the right look.

This HTML code does the trick of what I think would be better:
<style>
div {text-indent: 1em;}
</style>
<div>Darm's speeches, Feena and Lair's revelation (even though we all knew
it was coming), Goban's "YOU ANIMAL!" outburst, the playing of the silver
harmonica, Adol's sword beginning to glow as the music rocks more than it
ever had before, the bridge to the core of the structure being struck by lightning
and collapsing, Darm's promise to "crush and consume"... nope, I can't think of
a more amazing string of events. I was wide eyed all the way through it the
first time I beat the game.</div>
<div>The Belfry sequence was crazily intense the first time I experienced it.
Adol must charge up the steeple with urgent music cranked, bells ringing
ominously, and the threat of an ally's death looming large. Awaiting him at
the top is the despicable Dalles. The whole sequence is extremely exciting
and suspenseful.</div>

Which results in:

Darm's speeches, Feena and Lair's revelation (even though we all knew it was coming), Goban's "YOU ANIMAL!" outburst, the playing of the silver harmonica, Adol's sword beginning to glow as the music rocks more than it ever had before, the bridge to the core of the structure being struck by lightning and collapsing, Darm's promise to "crush and consume"... nope, I can't think of a more amazing string of events. I was wide eyed all the way through it the first time I beat the game.
The Belfry sequence was crazily intense the first time I experienced it. Adol must charge up the steeple with urgent music cranked, bells ringing ominously, and the threat of an ally's death looming large. Awaiting him at the top is the despicable Dalles. The whole sequence is extremely exciting and suspenseful.
Wrapping for the last sentence of the previous paragraph is maintained, one break, and minor indent, etc. That would help readability and I believe it's how columns are typically done in professional print (newspaper, magazine, etc.) although standards have changed nowadays quite a bit (we don't care about indent as much or double-spacing from a '.' to start the next sentence for example).