RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project.

Started by Burnt Lasagna, 05/02/2012, 11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParanoiaDragon

Hmm, well I went to the settings & did what you said.  Now it shows 2.3MB's, I though I cleared the cache, but, maybe I'm not clearing what I thought was the cache.

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 08/06/2012, 12:27 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 08/06/2012, 07:54 AMI also had a few laughs over him referring to the Ys VI opening as disgusting! ;)
Yeah that was pretty much my reaction when I first saw that opening. Luckily it does have that code, so you can just pretend that the game never had that horrible CG.

Aside from that I really liked the PS2 version of Ys VI! I even thought the dub was great, purely because it was so goofy.
( P.S. If the guy who voiced Admiral Agares came up to me and told me he wanted to voice everybody in Ys IV (male and female) I would freakin let him do it! Might even write extra dialogue for the game just so he could talk more!)
Yeah, that video is horrendous, but I too like the voice acting.  The only one I can remember loathing, is Terra, she was horrible!  Actually, a few of my favorite voice actor's are in it, including Scott McNeil, who played Dinobot, Rattrap, Silverbolt, & Waspinator in Beast Wars, a show I originally hated with a passion, but grew to love.  Actually, the kid with the bad lisp is essentially Rattrap....with a lisp!
IMG

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 08/07/2012, 02:12 AMHmm, well I went to the settings & did what you said.  Now it shows 2.3MB's, I though I cleared the cache, but, maybe I'm not clearing what I thought was the cache.
Use AVC (Any Video Convertor).
http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

NightWolve

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 08/07/2012, 02:12 AMHmm, well I went to the settings & did what you said.  Now it shows 2.3MB's, I though I cleared the cache, but, maybe I'm not clearing what I thought was the cache.
Is this Chrome or another browser? If not, I recommend a little switch to Google Chrome. It's a fast, lightweight, barebones type of browser that maintains a decent speed by not being bloated with all the extra features like the others.

Anyhow, I think the solution for whatever browser this is happening with is to make sure you have the latest Adobe Flash. The updater just updated the installation a couple of days ago actually. Goto http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and make sure it's updated if not already.

ParanoiaDragon

Ah, oh, that new downloader worked!  Awesome.  I'm on one of the IE's, I forget which one.  I know I should switch to Chrome, but I'm lazy.  One of these days I'll bother with it.
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 08/07/2012, 11:08 AMUse AVC (Any Video Convertor).
http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/
You know what I could REALLY use? A simple damn freeware video joiner! Wouldn't know of one, would you? Every one I have ever found is crap, just crap! If I have 2 or more videos in the exact same format and resolution, I can't find something to simply append one video clip after the other! They always wanna convert to another video format in the process of joining!

Burnt Lasagna

Hm, I've never needed a video joiner so I haven't tried this yet, but have you ever heard of Fast AVI MPEG Joiner?
http://www.alloksoft.com/fast_joiner.htm
There's a free version of it and I've heard good things about it.

NightWolve

Yeah, that's what I want, but it's been trial limited to where only 50% of each video is used. I think I might've found a shitty one that works, need to test it, but I dunno how it's trial limited. If I'm recording something with my camera, I should be able to record in parts, in sections and repeat takes if needed, then easily join all videos together without the joiner having to reencode it, assuming all video chunks are in the exact same format. Surprisingly, the default behavior of most joiners has been to reencode the combined video with a codec of your choosing.

roflmao

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/09/2012, 02:27 AMYou know what I could REALLY use? A simple damn freeware video joiner! Wouldn't know of one, would you? Every one I have ever found is crap, just crap! If I have 2 or more videos in the exact same format and resolution, I can't find something to simply append one video clip after the other! They always wanna convert to another video format in the process of joining!
It looks like ffmpeg should do the trick.  I use it to convert videos that come out of Wirecast into something Premiere will play nice with, but it appears to have a concatenation feature.

http://ffmpeg.org/faq.html#How-can-I-concatenate-video-files_003f

Be warned, it's a cli utility, which can be kind of daunting. :)

esadajr

If videos are avi in the using the exact same codecs and resolutions, just use the append avi segment function of Virtualdub.
Gaming since 1985

NightWolve

Yeah, it is, the camera records in AVI format. The codec is "MJPG" which I thought was interesting.

Video: MJPG 640x480 30fps 14942kbps [Video 0]
Audio: PCM 11024Hz mono 88kbps [Audio 1]

I've known about Virtual Dub for many years, it's quite handy so I was looking forward to trying this, but when I save the AVI ('Save Segmented AVI' option), it saves a 3GB video file, all uncompressed. ;) Since the idea is to merge all AVI takes and use Handbrake to convert to MP4 for the smallest upload to Youtube, you'd at least avoid an intermediate lossy stage for the merge unlike other joiners, but you'll need a lot of disk space and a lot more time. ;)

Arjak

So, how goes progress on inserting those voice clips? It sounds like you were only missing a few lines last we checked. Have you received the last few lines? Has any progress been made on inserting the lines? I know that I, for one, would love to see a preview video! I don't mean to cause pressure, I'm just super excited! :D
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

ParanoiaDragon

I think there was only 1 set of lines left.  I sent in my last bit of stuff a week or 2 ago.
IMG

Burnt Lasagna

The dub's progress is going great! I'm literally only waiting on one person to send in there last line at the end of the game.
I'm also almost done with the first draft of the English ADPCM. I have been testing the English dub in the actual game a bit as well and you can rest assured that all is going well.

After I have the first draft of the dub done I will be doing a big play test of the game to fix any audio issues I find on the way.

Duo_R

It would be funny after this project is over to do a bloopers track like what Working Designs used to do
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: Duo_R on 08/18/2012, 02:24 AMIt would be funny after this project is over to do a bloopers track like what Working Designs used to do
I've been thinking about doing that, though none of the actors included any bloopers so I don't have much to work with.

*small update*
The last actor just sent in her remaining lines. This project is now fully dubbed! Now it's up to me to complete the fun part :)

SeymorOnion

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 08/19/2012, 01:52 PM
Quote from: Duo_R on 08/18/2012, 02:24 AMIt would be funny after this project is over to do a bloopers track like what Working Designs used to do
I've been thinking about doing that, though none of the actors included any bloopers so I don't have much to work with.

*small update*
The last actor just sent in her remaining lines. This project is now fully dubbed! Now it's up to me to complete the fun part :)
Cool Beans.  :mrgreen:
My favorite game series on the PCE is Ys.
Since this is one of the few Ys Games that never, AFIK, got a updated graphics/sound re-release on other platforms, and was never dubbed before, I'm really looking forward to it.
In addition to that, a large majority of the music in this game just so happens to be at the top of my list for Best Game Music, ever.
I can't express enough, just how cool this is going to be.  8)

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 08/19/2012, 01:52 PM

*small update*
IMG
IMG

NightWolve

Burnt Lasagna

*Update*
The first draft of the dub is now completed and inserted into the game! Now I need to play through it and fix anything that needs fixing.
I'll be using a hacked save file that I made using NightWolve's Ys IV YAME perl script, hosted on his site. Let's me start the game off with everything maxed out and all the armor/items unlocked.

As a side note I'll be using Wii-Mednafen for the test play through. My PCE-CD emulator of choice (used it for Rondo's audio testing).

Arjak

NightWolve

Awesome!

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 08/22/2012, 08:53 PMI'll be using a hacked save file that I made using NightWolve's Ys IV YAME perl script, hosted on his site. Let's me start the game off with everything maxed out and all the armor/items unlocked.
Ah, good ole perl. Yeah, that's mainly what the full exp, gold, item cheat/hack is good for. Lets ya breeze through the game for testing out your changes. I wonder though if the full item hack shouldn't be in place as that might affect the story progression when it comes to event items and something could be skipped, no? Easy enough to disable it, just open the perl script and comment out the lines related to "print "All weapons and items available!!\n";" - above it and below it.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/23/2012, 01:55 PMI wonder though if the full item hack shouldn't be in place as that might affect the story progression when it comes to event items and something could be skipped, no? Easy enough to disable it, just open the perl script and comment out the lines related to "print "All weapons and items available!!\n";" - above it and below it.
You know, I'm not sure.
I could disable it just to be careful, since being at the max level should be more than enough to plow through the game. However I noticed that even though it gives you maxed out exp it doesn't max out your health or your actual level. That is until you eat the fresh fruit from your items menu, then everything sky rockets up. It's been a good two years since the last time I played Ys IV so I don't remember what this item was supposed to do exactly. In either case I need at least this one item to remain after doing the hack in order to get the remaining stats up...though I haven't actually played much of anything with the hacked save file yet, so maybe the stats just wake up after killing an enemy...

I guess I'll need to find out :)

NightWolve

Yeah, you need to attack an enemy I recall for the max leveling to "kick in" essentially.

I kinda just remembered why the full items/equipment hack was useful: I needed to make sure every item's name/text would display properly and from the right offset. Making sure I had EVERY item and weapon in the game was useful on that account. I think first I found the bytes related to gold because that's pretty unique and changes all the time. If I'm not mistaken, the bytes for storing what items you have were near it also.

IMG IMG

Basically, I had a very time-consuming hack where I had to use a brute force method of trying to identify one byte in a ~500KB state file that corresponded to a text pointer for the item display screen. How to find it without a debugger and without understanding the Assembly code?? Together with YAME and a perl script I did the following: Press F5 to load the state file in YAME (you can set a hotkey for it), open Ys4 item menu, check if text pointer was adjusted to properly read an item name from the 1st char, if not, ALT+Tab to perl script in DOS window, press enter whereby the script decrements the previous byte in the state file and increments the next one, then ALT+Tab back to YAME and press F5 to reload, and try again... I had to do this for thousands of times across several weeks before finally identifying the right byte. ;) Yeap, hence "brute force" method, but it got the job done and allowed me to fit all the item names in their fully translated lengths... But yeah, having ALL items to scroll through in the menus was needed to get them to display right and make text pointer adjustments.

Dunno if I explained it clearly enough, but you get the idea! Pain in the ass - a taste of what I went through to get this project done BITD! I was doing it manually before by simply using a hex editor: 1) open the state file with a hex editor and 2) then just go byte by byte, incrementing the next value and decrementing the previous one, 3) then reloading the state file in YAME to see if any change took effect on the text reading offset when it came to the item display screen. Later in frustration I said, the ONLY way this is gonna happen is with some kind of script because I will lose my mind if I have to find the right byte like this (thousands of trial/error changes), so I came up with a perl script that helped automate this same procedure and sped up the process somewhat. Not that much mind you, but with this kind of method, ANY shortcut was extremely helpful! Heh!

I kinda shocked myself that I was able to find it in the end. I narrowed the search range of bytes in the state file, which helped, because some of it is for ADPCM and other uses; RAM is in the 256KB range and you can tell where it starts in a YAME state file. So really, the search for this one byte was in 256 x 1024 bytes. ;) With a linear search, as I did, if it was the last byte in RAM, it could've taken 262,144 tries of this technique to find it (change a byte in the state file, save it, reload in YAME, check menu for difference, etc.)..... Well enough, it was as painful to write about it (hence relive it) as it was in doing it! Heh!

Eh supposedly, modern hackers should have it easy though with built-in debuggers that Mednafen comes with, but I never tried that feature. Too bad that emulator is all command-line. I used to ask David Michel all the time about adding that to MagicEngine, but he never got around to it. I don't see him much these days, not since his PCFX emulator.

Anyway, I hope this component mod idea of thesteve's works out. I'm looking forward to playing a fully translated version of Ys IV with a component video connection on my 32" CRT when you're finished! The component hack I did for my SNES is just gorgeous (comes close to looking like you're using an emulator with an analog VGA connection)! If a cheap component mod could've been done to NEC hardware all along, it'd really be something! I was actually playing my last Ys IV burn a couple of days ago and I was having fun! It is a game I will be able to fully replay after all these years. Not interested in replaying the first 3 anytime soon though, but definitely this one once the dubs are finished!!

EDIT: You probably don't have to bother removing the item hack. When it comes to event items, the game just acts like you don't even have it and "regives" you the item. I was playing around with some of my old state files and this is how I was playing the game to test things from what I see.

Duo_R

I have had component video on my Duo for several years now, all you need is a RGB to component box and your set!

Burnt Lasagna

@NightWolve
Wow, that's quite impressive! Big hats off to you Nightwolve! I always enjoy reading stuff like this from experienced ROM hackers. Your skill/patients definitely shows through in the final patch and I greatly applaud the effort you put into making it!
Quote from: NightWolve on 08/23/2012, 04:30 PMEDIT: You probably don't have to bother removing the item hack. When it comes to event items, the game just acts like you don't even have it and "regives" you the item. I was playing around with some of my old state files and this is how I was playing the game to test things from what I see.
I actually just finished playing up to where you get to the village of Arieda with the item hack. The village elder acts like Lemnos has already been saved and has left the hospital...

I guess I'll restart with the item hack off. Max health and exp should more the suffice.

NightWolve

Quote from: Duo_R on 08/23/2012, 10:50 PMI have had component video on my Duo for several years now, all you need is a RGB to component box and your set!
Ah, but if the circuit idea that thesteve gave me works, it can be done with only a few bucks worth of resistors, transistors and capacitors since the huc6260 video encoder chip was outputting a luminance signal all along! We'll see! :) Without luminance, you'd have to build it from the full RGB and sync signals and the circuit would be a lot more complex. The circuit linked is just a mixer of luminance to the Red and Blue signals because the R-Y and B-Y off the chip are not ready for TV use unfortunately, but yeah, it'll be awesome if it works. Probably better than a full RGB conversion to component box.

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 08/24/2012, 12:20 AM@NightWolve
Wow, that's quite impressive! Big hats off to you Nightwolve! I always enjoy reading stuff like this from experienced ROM hackers. Your skill/patients definitely shows through in the final patch and I greatly applaud the effort you put into making it!
Heh, you wonder if anyone will bother to read long, occasional thoughts/experiences like that. ;) If there was a good NEC debugger/emulator combo at the time and I knew how to use it, I obviously could've tracked down the byte I needed to change a lot easier... But, you'd still need some NEC programming knowledge which I didn't have much of at the time. Thus, all I had was this brute force trial and error method...

I could've asked David Shadoff to find it for me, he had tracked down the font code (I actually helped a little bit with the font hack) after all at this point, but I kinda didn't wanna stick him with this work after he accomplished writing the ADPCM stuff, the Ys IV text compression code (he reversed Neill Corlett's C-level rewrite of the Ys IV text decompression code), and the font hack, etc. The harder, technical stuff got done by the pros, so I tried to do all the remaining small stuff, the annoying grunt work. That's why I preferred working on PC games because I had competent Intel x86 assembly knowledge and could do most things myself because of all the great disassembly/debugging software available. Dealing with 8-bit 65C02 assembly with no supporting software was never my thing, let's say.

QuoteI actually just finished playing up to where you get to the village of Arieda with the item hack. The village elder acts like Lemnos has already been saved and has left the hospital...

I guess I'll restart with the item hack off. Max health and exp should more the suffice.
Ah crap, yeah, makes sense, get rid of it then... Better safe than sorry. My worry was it'd possibly cause a scenario with voice acting to be skipped and looks like it might.

esteban

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/24/2012, 01:45 PM
Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 08/24/2012, 12:20 AM@NightWolve
Heh, you wonder if anyone will bother to read long, occasional thoughts/experiences like that. ;) ...
There are at least a handful of folks who read along. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/24/2012, 01:45 PMAh crap, yeah, makes sense, get rid of it then... Better safe than sorry. My worry was it'd possibly cause a scenario with voice acting to be skipped and looks like it might.
Yup, I started over with the item hack disabled. As of now the dub seems to be working great! There have been a couple of issues I've come across such as the audio clipping and causing distortion, and some clips being too quiet, though I've been able to fix those as they've revealed themselves. 

It feels nice to hear Ys IV's cut scenes in English and with solid voice work as well :)
Hoping everyone else will feel the same way after this is done.

Keranu

Can't wait to try the final patch! This roxxxsssss!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

SeymorOnion

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna
Quote from: NightWolveAh crap, yeah, makes sense, get rid of it then... Better safe than sorry. My worry was it'd possibly cause a scenario with voice acting to be skipped and looks like it might.
Yup, I started over with the item hack disabled. As of now the dub seems to be working great! There have been a couple of issues I've come across such as the audio clipping and causing distortion, and some clips being too quiet, though I've been able to fix those as they've revealed themselves

It feels nice to hear Ys IV's cut scenes in English and with solid voice work as well :)
Hoping everyone else will feel the same way after this is done.
Bold Mine
That's great to hear! (pun somewhat intended)
Uneven volume during voice acting is something that really bothers me, and there are tons of Official Releases that have this problem.  #-o

It gives me great joy to know that you are going the extra mile with this dub.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/23/2012, 04:30 PMYeah, you need to attack an enemy I recall for the max leveling to "kick in" essentially.

I kinda just remembered why the full items/equipment hack was useful: I needed to make sure every item's name/text would display properly and from the right offset. Making sure I had EVERY item and weapon in the game was useful on that account. I think first I found the bytes related to gold because that's pretty unique and changes all the time. If I'm not mistaken, the bytes for storing what items you have were near it also.

Basically, I had a very time-consuming hack where I had to use a brute force method of trying to identify one byte in a ~500KB state file that corresponded to a text pointer for the item display screen. How to find it without a debugger and without understanding the Assembly code?? Together with YAME and a perl script I did the following: Press F5 to load the state file in YAME (you can set a hotkey for it), open Ys4 item menu, check if text pointer was adjusted to properly read an item name from the 1st char, if not, ALT+Tab to perl script in DOS window, press enter whereby the script decrements the previous byte in the state file and increments the next one, then ALT+Tab back to YAME and press F5 to reload, and try again... I had to do this for thousands of times across several weeks before finally identifying the right byte. ;) Yeap, hence "brute force" method, but it got the job done and allowed me to fit all the item names in their fully translated lengths... But yeah, having ALL items to scroll through in the menus was needed to get them to display right and make text pointer adjustments.

Dunno if I explained it clearly enough, but you get the idea! Pain in the ass - a taste of what I went through to get this project done BITD! I was doing it manually before by simply using a hex editor: 1) open the state file with a hex editor and 2) then just go byte by byte, incrementing the next value and decrementing the previous one, 3) then reloading the state file in YAME to see if any change took effect on the text reading offset when it came to the item display screen. Later in frustration I said, the ONLY way this is gonna happen is with some kind of script because I will lose my mind if I have to find the right byte like this (thousands of trial/error changes), so I came up with a perl script that helped automate this same procedure and sped up the process somewhat. Not that much mind you, but with this kind of method, ANY shortcut was extremely helpful! Heh!

I kinda shocked myself that I was able to find it in the end. I narrowed the search range of bytes in the state file, which helped, because some of it is for ADPCM and other uses; RAM is in the 256KB range and you can tell where it starts in a YAME state file. So really, the search for this one byte was in 256 x 1024 bytes. ;) With a linear search, as I did, if it was the last byte in RAM, it could've taken 262,144 tries of this technique to find it (change a byte in the state file, save it, reload in YAME, check menu for difference, etc.)..... Well enough, it was as painful to write about it (hence relive it) as it was in doing it! Heh!

Eh supposedly, modern hackers should have it easy though with built-in debuggers that Mednafen comes with, but I never tried that feature. Too bad that emulator is all command-line. I used to ask David Michel all the time about adding that to MagicEngine, but he never got around to it. I don't see him much these days, not since his PCFX emulator.

Anyway, I hope this component mod idea of thesteve's works out. I'm looking forward to playing a fully translated version of Ys IV with a component video connection on my 32" CRT when you're finished! The component hack I did for my SNES is just gorgeous (comes close to looking like you're using an emulator with an analog VGA connection)! If a cheap component mod could've been done to NEC hardware all along, it'd really be something! I was actually playing my last Ys IV burn a couple of days ago and I was having fun! It is a game I will be able to fully replay after all these years. Not interested in replaying the first 3 anytime soon though, but definitely this one once the dubs are finished!!

EDIT: You probably don't have to bother removing the item hack. When it comes to event items, the game just acts like you don't even have it and "regives" you the item. I was playing around with some of my old state files and this is how I was playing the game to test things from what I see.
This makes a lot of sense to me. I can see why there isn't a big push in the rom hacking community to work on turbo stuff, it just sounds really freaking hard to do. :) It makes me appreciate what hard work you guys have put into this thing. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. I may not have much programming experience, but I can definitely build you a bad ass pc for cheap! :P

Bardoly

First time to hear of this project.  Sounds great!
Kudos to all involved!

Bloody Wolf

Ohhhh dang can't believe dis is coming a reality.... Crazy insane fo shizza need to play this one!!! Ah man that is sick bro!!!!

SeymorOnion

Quote from: Bloody Wolf on 09/03/2012, 01:28 AMOhhhh dang can't believe dis is coming a reality.... Crazy insane fo shizza need to play this one!!! Ah man that is sick bro!!!!
Sorry to burst your bubble, but they are dubbing it into English.  :mrgreen:

Just kidding; I get like this when I'm sleep deprived.

Duo_R

What's engrish! Haha

NOTE - it's too bad he didn't try out for one of the voice acting roles. We would have had a gehtto thug actor in YS....lol

I tried convincing him to try out but he wouldn't.

Arjak

It's been about two weeks since we last got an update. How are things going with this, BL? Alright, I hope.

If my constant bugging you about this is getting tiresome, I apologize. I'm just really excited that this project is almost done, for the last time. :P

NightWolve

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: Arjak on 09/07/2012, 09:24 PMIt's been about two weeks since we last got an update. How are things going with this, BL? Alright, I hope.

If my constant bugging you about this is getting tiresome, I apologize. I'm just really excited that this project is almost done, for the last time. :P
/YsIV/Yup.png

Though,
Quote from: NightWolve on 09/07/2012, 11:07 PMGood news is coming shortly... ;)

Joe Redifer

How will this update be distributed?  As one massive (and hopefully uncompressed) ISO download?  Or will the user need the original Ys 4 CD and the patch will just replace the CD-DA tracks that have new dubs on them as well as the PCM data and English text on the game ROM?  Please don't compress the audio to MP3s.  Though I imagine everyone who is recording their voices is sending in their samples as MP3s (and a whole bevy of different microphone types).  Hopefully as high of a bitrate as possible.  In this day and age there really is no use for MP3 on the internet for this type of thing, so hopefully they are sending raw 44.1khz (at least) AIF or WAV files back and forth.

Burnt Lasagna

It's being distributed as a dub patch only, which you will apply to a ISO/WAV/CUE archive of the game that's been already patched with NightWolve's text patch. 

All the recordings were done in WAV and the new CD-DA will be distributed as ape files (which are basically zipped WAV files) then unpacked wile the patching takes place.

NightWolve

Yeah, just like his Dracula X dub patch: distribution is a zip archive with a batch file, etc. It'd work something like this:

1) Use TurboRip to rip an ISO/WAV/CUE image file set from your Ys IV disc or get an image from someone else.

2) Download the text patch, unzip in same folder as image file set, double click "PATCH.BAT" - (This step not needed if already text-patched!)

3) Download the dub patch, same thing...

4) Burn CUE to a CD-R to play on real NEC hardware, or, mount CUE with a virtual disc emulator to play with a NEC emulator.

*For now, yeah, I decided to keep my text patch separate from the dub patch. So you'll have to run 2 batch files. When I get around to making a new patch with all the minor text edits like 'Romn' to 'Romun' in the future, then we'll have one Windows based patcher that does it all!

*Since most of you already have an Ys IV image that's patched textually, you could just rip that instead of an original and just use the dub patch which I think most will be doing... Will work either way, with or without an extra step.)

*There are crazed Japanophiles that don't want the dub patch, believe it or not! They can burn in... eh, nevermind! Heh-heh!

Joe Redifer

OK cool, sounds pretty easy.  Looking forward to whatever news is coming up.  

I played a translated English Ys 4 a long time ago but never got very far (probably got distracted by another game).  Not sure what I did with it but it was from a CD-R version of the game made with MP3s.  I have the real thing now and want to do it again with better quality audio.  The updated text version will appear when the dub patch appears?

NightWolve

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/08/2012, 02:42 AMThe updated text version will appear when the dub patch appears?
Nah, that'll appear at some unknown time in the future (read: when I get back in the mood to work on it)! ;) In the meantime, you'll have the new dub and the current text patch. Since it's all about minor text edits, it's not worth the wait... One day, it would be nice to get someone to retranslate the whole script though. I figure I'll ask around here when I'm ready for that since I know we got some translators.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/08/2012, 02:42 AMOK cool, sounds pretty easy.  Looking forward to whatever news is coming up.
It'd be cool to make a GUI version of TurboRip some day - I thought about it. Where people run into trouble here is using command line software unfortunately... You need to open a Command Prompt first and CD to the folder where you're gonna rip and patch everything, etc. Windows Explorer should've had that "Command Prompt Here" context menu option by default when you right click on a folder! I did tech support for people who were completely GUI-oriented in how they use Windows, and it took a while to teach 'em how to handle a DOS-type prompt.

Burnt Lasagna

*Minor Update*
I recently finished the first play test of the dub! Sadly It looks like I'm going to be needing to do another play through of the dub to help put to death some minor issues I found with ADPCM shortly after finishing my initial testing.

In theory it shouldn't take nearly as long as the first play test. After this small issue is ironed out the dub should be ready for release.

Arjak

Good to hear progress is being made. I hope you're able to fix the problem soon, and release this long-awaited patch. Know that I am always cheering for you. =D>

Arjak

I feel like the talking dog from Dexter's Laboratory by this point. FOOD FOR ME!? FOOD FOR ME! =P~

I must be so annoying to keep bugging you about this. Just remember, it's not because I'm upset. It's because I'm so balls-out excited. If I was upset, I would probably be demanding a "tentative release date" just so I could bitch even more when it doesn't get released by then. :P

In a way, I'm actually pleased when a developer doesn't give a "tentative release date", because those just usually lead to disappointment and frustration. I prefer something to be released "when it's done" instead of it being rushed to meet a deadline. Of course, that doesn't make the actual wait any less painful...

So...how's that second play-through going? :wink:

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: Arjak on 09/18/2012, 04:57 PMSo...how's that second play-through going? :wink:
Coming along very well.
IMG

Quote from: NightWolve on 09/07/2012, 11:07 PMGood news is coming shortly... ;)

Sadler

Just saw your letter art and request for help on the retronauts blog. Congrats! :D

IMG
IMG

Burnt Lasagna

Ah, I completely forgot that I sent that! My brother who is a big fan of retronauts really wanted me to inform them about this project and he made the art for the envelop and what not.
Funny that they just now talk about it when auditions are over and I'm getting ready for its release.

In either case this very cool! :)

NightWolve

Oh wow, I didn't know you guys did that, Mike! Talk about some dedication and "getting the word" out! Figures that it would take some youngbloods to finally complete the project. ;) How come your brother doesn't post around here ??

(That was a cool review of Suikoden II on that link - One of the many games I bought BITD and left untouched, that continue to collect dust).