Md 68k and hu6280 comparison

Started by touko, 05/28/2013, 06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatsujin

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 12:03 PMBack to the PCE, released November 1986?  Is that true?
if you don't even know the release date of the PCE, the hell what are you doing in here?

sure looking it up would cost like 5 secs.

it's proven, you're just full of troll crap.

now make like a tree and get out of here!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

touko

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 10:20 AMOh yeah I remember playing that game back in 1993, epic.  Just as visually stunning as Vector Man ;)  The animation of that mech walking and shooting brought me to tears, serious guys, serious.
Eh dude, it's juste a demo, to show you that animate big sprites is not a problem.
And as you can see, there are some parallaxes too,and all with less than 5% of CPU load ...

PCEngineHell

Quote from: touko on 06/03/2013, 12:42 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 10:20 AMOh yeah I remember playing that game back in 1993, epic.  Just as visually stunning as Vector Man ;)  The animation of that mech walking and shooting brought me to tears, serious guys, serious.
Eh dude, it's juste a demo, to show you that animate big sprites is not a problem.
And as you can see, there are some parallaxes too,and all with less than 5% of CPU load ...
Evo didn't actually understand what he saw there. He didn't have his pops there to explain it for him. Dad was too busy playing wargames with super computer Joshua.

Arkhan Asylum

Even at the age of what, like 5, I could tell the Turbo was legit.  There's nothing like Silent Debuggers on SNES or Genesis.    I would also take China Warrior over Altered Beast any day.   Bigger sprites, faster action, cooler boss battles.   I mean you get to kick some fan dancing bitch in the baby-blaster!   Also you get to beat Bruce Lee to death with a fist the size of a car.

Altered Beast is clunky and mostly just looks cool and has a neat story/design to it.   It's a pretty crappy game.   Walk slowly, kick mutant blue dog wolves in the face, grab a ton of balls, rip your clothes off, fight some retard monster that requires 0 skill, repeat.

I mean, you can kill the eye blob thing in level 2, and the snail thing in level 3 before they even move.  And then the first boss, you'd have to be a complete moron to die to that one.

Sega Genesis is also pretty bad for shooters.   All of the shooters perform a lot of eye-candy shenanigans, but the gameplay in them is all pretty stale.   I like Silpheed for Sega CD.    Phelios and Wings of Wor are admirable efforts, and fun to play, but pretty crappy in comparison to just about anything.   Gaiares has cracked out balance, eye candy, and ... boringness.   

You play Sega Genesis for games like Maximum Carnage, Alisia Dragoon, and Castle of Illusion.   

also, on the topic of Sapphire, if it didn't have the theme that it has, I wouldn't give two flying dicks about that game.  The sprites and art are pretty cool, but it's just a vertical shooter.  Nothing over the top.   I like the chicks and the levels.

and the power metal.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/03/2013, 12:15 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 09:51 AMYou see that's just it, you can't see the forest for the trees.  In the West it was better.  Everybody and their mother pointed out the "8-bittedness" of a lot of the games.  Now of course that means nothing technically but here in the West a LOT of the games just stunk.  Here in the states the MD eventually unseated Nintendo and was number one, it was number one in the UK by a larger margin.  Almost nothing took advantage of the HU6280 here in the states and the best games were mail order.  I have them now, I play them now, they didn't compare to what was available in the West at the time, the majority I am speaking of.
If that was truly the case, I would only judge the system, any system, by the native North American library. I am a open minded gamer. I play imports and have tried to play about anything worth playing on most systems other then PS1. I also don't consider the NA release list for TG to just totally suck and the best games were not simply by mail order. I don't think you even had a Turbografx back in the day. You definitely don't sound like you did.

There was plenty of shooters and action games in there to make the library legitimately fun. Outside of the few games actually developed by North American developers, most were games like Raiden, Aero Blasters, Bloody Wolf, Alien/Devils Crush, Cadash, Bonks Revenge, Splatterhouse, Ninja Spirit, Parasol Stars, Air Zonk, Bomber Man 93, Chase HQ, Galaga 90, Super Star soldier, Soldier Blade, Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, New Adventure Island, R-Type, etc. Thats not even covering cd game releases here in the US. Just because you decided to jump in during 2013 doesn't mean the rest of us missed out on either the US or Japanese side of things.

So again, tell me this, in the list above, do most of these titles feel "borderline 8-BIT" to you? Because again, most that are arcade ports retain the look and feel of the arcade original, which was 16-BIT. and then you always have games like Raiden and Bomberman 93, both of which completely suck ass visually on the Genesis.

QuoteNow for the Japanese market the system ruled and towards the end of the systems life it had comparable games and like you said Arcade games.  Those CD ROM games added a lot of frames of animation that could not be fit on a cart and like many people said the CD rom was in the cards for the PCE since day one and it shows.  I am hammering through a lot of these games and ordering more.  Do you want me to post all the vids of the bad games I mean it's a shame they even call them Super CD Rom games when there is nothing super about them.
No doubt, the Japanese market did rule, which is why I have been open to importing for years, even for systems like the Neo-Geo or 3DO. Concerning Japanese PCE library, yes, it had a large cache of arcade ports, and yes, most of them were very good to excellent. Most all were better then their Mega Drive/Genesis counterparts. "Comparable" is hardly the word to describe it. Concerning you posting more videos, I think not. I could really care less as far as what you think is a good game versus a bad one. At best all you could do is hope to amuse me by blowing spit on a few games or something like you did the av cable.

QuoteYou could blame 3rd party or 1st party support, economics, the times, the wind, but the system had trouble delivering. Now this site and this site only seems to have a series of cascading excuses a kin to a mother making excuses for her child and for every group of "programmers" on this site that say once thing I can get just as many from another forum that says another.
Other then whatever it is you are rambling on about in the first sentence, concerning most of the second, and think it has been confirmed you tried preaching elsewhere and were shot down. It's your destiny to fail. You are just repeating a cycle of events here as you build up some solid ignores along the way.

QuoteI will agree that there is no definitive answer and most of the answers we find are really just based in sales and market predictions from the day (as I posted).
The answers you found are based on hype and old magazines and a few fanboi based opinions. I decided to settle on proof of solid engineering via playable examples presented to me in the form of games.  

QuoteWhat I still don't like from my gaming experience on the Turbo/PCE?
What makes you think we care. No one here considers you a legitimate gamer anymore.
Quote1. Every time there is a fire ball on screen in street fighter 2, at least in my copy, there is slow down.
You're imagining things. Stop being retarded.

Quote2. I don't like the sound FX on the PCE in comparison. Every video above that you posted to show me great sounf FX has me just confused.  I can't tell if you are joking or not. I mean they are fun and all but those blits and bloobs are hardly next gen.
For one, I really don't care if you like the PCE sound or not. Its subjective to say the least. Two, every video I linked to was to give you a music example, not a sound fx one. Three, the sound fx in the videos for the Genesis versions were not any better. You are clearly hearing what you want to hear and seeing what you want to see, and again, no one takes your opinion seriously anymore.

Quote3.How everybody and their mother cranks it to Sapphire but it is just on par.  Great game to play but not the visual orgy everyone rants and raves about.  I played through it and gave it a thumbs up, what more do you want a standing ovation and me crying?
Not once have I brought up Sapphire to make my case in point. As stated, I don't believe in razzle dazzle, and to me Sapphire is a C+ game at best. Its a visual showcase at best, and personally I could care less for its art style. I will take Gradius II on PCE any day of the week over Sapphire.

Quote4.Have you played AOF on the PCE Arcade?  Not exactly a great arcade conversion.  I have the arcade and the game, a lot is missing and a LOT of animation is missing.  The sound FX were bad as well.  Yes, I get it, a CD holds a lot more than a cart, more animation of a CD I get it.
I have owned and played every release of Art of Fighting released to market, including the Neo CD, MVS, and AES releases. I am a bit of a AOF nut who will staunchly defend the game against all AOF haters who hate its complicated attack system (throw attack doubling as strong attacks and also being held and used in conjunction with normal punch and kick for low blows etc) or its difficulty. This is how I noticed things like the background scrolling layer in the Genesis port and how it is absent from the Neo.

Concerning the animation on the PCE, no, it is not 100 percent perfect, but it is hands down the best version available outside of the NeoGeo and PS2 anthology, and it is also mostly intact, even to the extent that it presents the forward and back walking animations and things like the animated street signs in the background in the bar. There is honestly not that much character animation missing. It is very minute. And regardless of ram storage, the other version, Mega Drive and Snes, dont play too hot. This is espically true of the Genesis/MD port. Try playing it. It plays like a joke and it is even actually missing entire moves/attacks that even the Snes version retained.

If you think otherwise, again, you are imagining things. But again, this goes without saying. You're the fool that stated that the PCE felt "borderline 8-bit", the same system with tons of arcade ports with quality so high they proved its visual superiority over the Genesis/MD VDP. You lost all credibility with me concerning arcade ports when you stated that "borderline 8-bit" bullshit. Now all I consider you to be is a late coming poser youtube upstart begging for video views (we call this attention whoring, so you go girl  :wink: ).

QuoteThat thing had a giant piece of dust on it.  I guess my Go Prop didn't get it.

Uhh huh, yeah, its really hard to get giant imaginary dust balls on video. It did however have no problem capturing you blowing your spittle into the din plug, both on audio and video.

QuoteA/V cables worked fine but I still need RGB, S-video is not good enough.  Still have all the games.

Of course the AV cable worked fine. And it wasn't dusty. Its a bit hard/impossible to get large balls of dust in the din when it spent the majority of its life being plugged directly into the system, or in a zip baggie, or wrapped in bubble wrap during transport. As with all things, I tested it before I shipped the system out and recorded a video of it running multiple games just in case you decided to break the thing on arrive (Glad I did. You manhandled the thing like a idiot in your video. I can only imagine how you treat it off camera...)

IMG

IMG

IMG

(take a good look, I bet this asshole will kill the thing in a year, two years max, and I will laugh when no one here volunteers to fix it for him)

Concerning the games you still have, who cares? S-video not good enough? Again, who cares? I wonder how many people here will be willing to restore the RGB out for you after you exposed yourself so stupidly on this thread? Maybe you can have your pops to it for you in-between programming spy satellites. Hope he can replace your laser too after you kill it on your Taiwanese junk short strategy warez you burned off.

QuoteI suggest you play some more MD games and really see what the system can do.
This is a pretty idiotic statement coming from you considering I'm one of the few to finalize the S-video mod for the Genesis 1 and X-Eye, let alone figure out the region mod on the Majesco Model 2.  :roll:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?159741-Genesis-2-Model-MK-1451-how-to-do-region-mod&p=2174693&viewfull=1#post2174693

http://home.comcast.net/~amakusa666/PC-ENGINE-HELL-SONY-CX1145-MOD.htm

Yeah, that was me, so you can fuck off Mr. I've done nothing but spent my time collecting mah romz&iso and being a fucking no nuthin poser on teh forums. I have plenty of experience with the Genesis and Mega Drive library. That has been made a abundantly clear over the years Mr. Borderline Poser Gamer Personality Disorder.

QuoteYou guys keep asking about my father so I'll let you know.
No, we didn't. Not really at all, but hey, waste more of your own time talking about pops.  :roll:

Quotemore rambling and other made up shit to make pops sound important, cause I really think someone here cares
No one cares. Really.

QuoteBack to the PCE, released November 1986?  Is that true?
You got google. Fucking use it poser.
It's nice to have a Neo fan and especially a fan as deep and as good as AOF.  I agree whole heatedly that the PCE Arcade version is the best on the 16 Bit versions.  It obviously had the most development for it and it shows.  I can't really play it however I just pop my cart in my AES and have at it.  I like the CD version as well but never got used to loading times.

The Turbo got a bad hand in the U.S.  ...."It's only 8-bit...where are the games???.....The games don't look as good....."

Is this true?  Did it stop me from buying one?  No, in fact I took all my birthday money and got a Turbo Express and a handful of games back in the day, and if it wasn't stolen from me I'm sure I'd still have it today.  I later got a TG16 at a garage sale for $20 with a stack of common games and that was my turbo collection until tezzz romzz11 ZOMG!!!.  Now I got a duo and a burner (Thank you so much!!) and although I try not to use burned games to save my laser as you politely asked me(Play it on my puter and an XBOX controller) I still knock out Dracula X on my big CRT, I just have too; sorry.  Great game, great fun.  So while I was not on the turbo scene day one back in 1989, I got there around 1992 along with my Genny and then my computer stuffs.

Borderline 8-Bit, oh you mean like JJ & Jeff, or Dragon Spirit?  Yeah that didn't damage the Turbo market at all.  Those games lacked anything visually stunning.  I didn't stop playing them however and they still entertained me.  But you have to agree those style of games in the U.S did a LOT of damage.  Keith Courage too at least Sega made a quality arcade translation right off the bat that looked next gen at the time.  There was even a decent port of Bonk on the NES that was reasonable.  You really couldn't take a MD or SNES game, at least their main mascots and move it back a generation without serious cuts.  The MD really took that next big step and left people confused about the TG16 here in the West, the games were just done poorly and it killed it here.  AGAIN THE WEST ONLY.

I don't get why blowing a dust bunny off of an A/V cable has anything to do with the comparison between the MD CPU and the PCE CPU.  Have you seen my floor?  It's a mess or carts and cds and I prolly need to vacuum my game room.  Sorry, some dust on there from the floor as I plug in my other S-video systems....  and MAN HANDLE IT, what am I supposed to make love to it, it's not a woman it's a console. It's mot like I juggled it, it's just a light plastic machine,  It sites on the floor surrounded by a mess of games with the cables un hooked until I play it.  Right now my Dream cast is hooked up, taking notes?  am I in the non poseur gamer club yet?  I may even leave the CD Tray open...... OHHHHHHH, how dare it.  This is an issue of yours, not mine.  So let's pretend to stay on topic.

Destiny to fail, at what?  I am not making any fans here.  I am not opening any eyes here.  This is a cult like phenomenon.  If I go to the MD they shit all over the PCE and SNES.  If I go to the SNES forums they say that the PCE can't smell their shit.  Programmers and know-it-alls there too.  Does it make you or them right?  No.  If the question is asked which CPU is better and I stated that the MD is for being a faster chip and moving more diverse sprites, and 14 pages later the N-Bomb is dropped, maybe a look in a mirror is in order. Every short fall I point out is bashed, ignored, or piled on by a wall of excuses. I've agreed with every short fall the MD has, what gives?   I pointed out specific issues in games and just because my ideas are not popular I am shit upon.   I know who I am, I am not some internet nerd hiding behind a wall of anonymous text you know who I am and where I am coming from.  I thought the internet forums have moved on from trying to "POWNED" people or whatever kids are doing these days but the angst remains.  What am I to lose here, really?  

SFII on the PCE has a TON of slowdown.  Not my imagination.  I am RYU, I am fighting Ken, things start off good, Fire ball and the shit slows down, god forbid he throws one back at me then things get very slow.  I am sure there are a world of excuses for this too but I am tired of excuses.

WTF is a gamer poseur?  I am sorry is there a league of gamers I need to register with and get an ID number?  For Fucks sakes you are taking this too seriously.  If you took an ounce of your angst and passion and focused it on your real life maybe you spend more time in the real life instead of losing you cool, calling me names, and taking offense and then bragging that you are on some ground breaking floor of some S-Video JVCXY experiment and how dare I is embarrassing.  Model 1 Sega Genesis, Scart lead, took two fucking seconds. It's getting embarrassing the level you are taking this.  Get outside a bit.
Oh and yes S-Video not good enough, RGB only.  I will be sending it out shortly to have it RGB modded, can't wait.  Plenty of people to help out and take my moeny if I ask them but the S-Video out on my CRT is good, not good enough.  Only poseurs use S-Video, didn't you get the memo from whatever classic game group of "Non Game Poseurs Extraordinaire" you belong to.   [-(

Now back to my ROMS......

P.S.
Thanks again for the system, I enjoy it very much and ordered a bunch more games.  Great deal, a steal really and yes I appreciate it and it was the best packing job I ever got.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/03/2013, 12:47 PM
Quote from: touko on 06/03/2013, 12:42 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 10:20 AMOh yeah I remember playing that game back in 1993, epic.  Just as visually stunning as Vector Man ;)  The animation of that mech walking and shooting brought me to tears, serious guys, serious.
Evo didn't actually understand what he saw there. He didn't have his pops there to explain it for him. Dad was too busy playing wargames with super computer Joshua.
I saw all those colors and got scared.  I only like many shades of brown.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Arkhan Asylum

Can you please learn how to use quote tags on here.   You've actually posted more of other people's posts than your own.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PCEngineHell

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 01:23 PMblah blah blah
Just a Genesis hype riding poser. No one cares anymore about your rehashed marketing war or your other bullshit you made up on the fly. No one here is going to consider you a legit gamer in the know, regardless of what bullshit you fill your game room with on camera. You're on the same level as those late comer posers on that lame Game Chasers youtube show. Fucking worthless. You cant even be bothered to google when the PCE was released. Get lost already.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/03/2013, 01:59 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 01:23 PMblah blah blah
Just a Genesis hype riding poser. No one cares anymore about your rehashed marketing war or your other bullshit you made up on the fly. No one here is going to consider you a legit gamer in the know, regardless of what bullshit you fill your game room with on camera. You're on the same level as those late comer posers on that lame Game Chasers youtube show. Fucking worthless. You cant even be bothered to google when the PCE was released. Get lost already.
So, we're cool now?
IMGIMGIMG

PCEngineHell

PunkCryborg

EvilEvoIX

IMGIMGIMG

Arkhan Asylum

soop

The irrelephant in the room.

Still at least he was polite about the system.  Like I said before, the guy himself seems ok, but the trashing of this thread is ridiculous.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: soop on 06/03/2013, 02:48 PMThe irrelephant in the room.

Still at least he was polite about the system.  Like I said before, the guy himself seems ok, but the trashing of this thread is ridiculous.
Exactly, once the N-Bomb was dropped all bets were off.  These threads always end like this.  I'll be playing my PCE after work to finish up Red Alert, life goes on.  This isn't a war.
IMGIMGIMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 02:52 PMExactly, once the N-Bomb was dropped all bets were off.  These threads always end like this.  I'll be playing my PCE after work to finish up Red Alert, life goes on.  This isn't a war. 
IMG

touko

you do not understand ?
this isn't just because you say that 68k is better, your opinions are free, but if you think that, you should be able to provide some technical exemples, not because you're an expert in youtube videos ..

PunkCryborg

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 02:52 PMI'll be playing my PCE after work to finish up Red Alert, life goes on.  This isn't a war. 
you must not be very good if you didn't beat it your first try

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 06/03/2013, 03:13 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 02:52 PMI'll be playing my PCE after work to finish up Red Alert, life goes on.  This isn't a war.
you must not be very good if you didn't beat it your first try
Not dedicating that much time to Red Alert, the bosses are way to easy IMHO.  I have so much life I just stand in front an unload.  I play a few rounds and then just save it for later.  I just finished a run through all three bonks.  I beat them all on my fist try.  I am eagerly awaiting my copy of Bloody Wolf as that is among my favorite games.
IMGIMGIMG

spenoza

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 02:52 PMExactly, once the N-Bomb was dropped all bets were off.  These threads always end like this.  I'll be playing my PCE after work to finish up Red Alert, life goes on.  This isn't a war. 
Uh, I'm the one who mentioned the N-word, and I used it as an aside to explain my discomfort with another word being bandied about in this discussion. Nobody actually used the N-word in a statement directed at someone. So no, the N-Bomb was never dropped, as far as I can see (though with these mile-high screens of quoted text I can't really tell).

Tatsujin

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 03:22 PMBorderline 8-Bit, oh you mean like JJ & Jeff, or Dragon Spirit?  Yeah that didn't damage the Turbo market at all.  Those games lacked anything visually stunning.  I didn't stop playing them however and they still entertained me.  But you have to agree those style of games in the U.S did a LOT of damage.  Keith Courage too at least Sega made a quality arcade translation right off the bat that looked next gen at the time
JJ&Jeff originally is a game from 30 Nov. 1987, furthermore it was a release game. It looked FANTASTIC back in 1987 and not anything near 8-bit as we knew it from any other NES and SMS games at that time. nice colors, fast and responding gameplay, high resolution, good music. in fact there was a real wonderboy game behind that title. The kung fu (30 Nov. 1987 as well), showing of with sprites such huge, almost never seen in any arcade game at that time. R-Type lol? only  about one half a year later of its own and mighty arcade release, a 95% arcade perfect port of that one in a decade arcade ULTRA SMASH HIT, for your own home! only on PCE. lol, where is that borderline 8-Bit?

In other words, the PCE was a HUGE LEAP ahead the 8-bit generation as we knew it. About to comparable what the DC was when it came out and crushed the Ps1 and Saturn generation into deep grounds.

PCE has proven to show of almost any arcade ports between 1987 and 1995 as to be the best and most accurate ports during the whole 16-bit console era. how can it be borderline 8-Bit if it won 1st ranks so many times over MD and SFC?

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 03:22 PMYou really couldn't take a MD or SNES game, at least their main mascots and move it back a generation without serious cuts.
Oh no no, but of course not.. sega and nintendo never would have do that. wake up mc evo, wake up.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Some side-to-side comparisons:

to the left: poor 8-bit borderline grafx.        to the right: true 16-bit (sometimes even 32-bit) MD 68K blast processing.

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

IMGIMG

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG  IMG

and here's probably my alltime fav:

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

especially:

IMG IMG

IMG

TurboXray

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/03/2013, 08:48 PMJJ&Jeff originally is a game from 30 Nov. 1987, furthermore it was a release game. It looked FANTASTIC back in 1987 and not anything near 8-bit as we knew it from any other NES and SMS games at that time. nice colors, fast and responding gameplay, high resolution, good music. in fact there was a real wonderboy game behind that title. The kung fu (30 Nov. 1987 as well), showing of with sprites such huge, almost never seen in any arcade game at that time. R-Type lol? only  about one half a year later of its own and mighty arcade release, a 95% arcade perfect port of that one in a decade arcade ULTRA SMASH HIT, for your own home! only on PCE. lol, where is that borderline 8-Bit?

In other words, the PCE was a HUGE LEAP ahead the 8-bit generation as we knew it. About to comparable what the DC was when it came out and crushed the Ps1 and Saturn generation into deep grounds.
Since this thread is pretty everything but what it originally was; when in Rome...  That's how I saw it as well. While I didn't have an SMS, I did grow up on the NES. I was an arcade junkie in the mid 80's. I had a pretty limited home computer at the time, Coco 2, at the end of 1983. I got to play a few games. But it wasn't until 1986 that I got my NES and never looked back. Soooo many awesome 8bit games. All the way up until 1990. I got my TG16 in 1990 and played it along side my NES (although not for long, the NES got abandoned fairly quickly after the TG16). Even playing something as super simplistic as Keith Courage... my god... the graphics were incredible! But everything else, Blazing Lazers, Rtype, Ninja Spirit, Bonk, Splatter House, Side Arms, Legendary Axe, Dungeon Explorer, and yes JJ and Jeff. None of those titles *even* looked remotely 8bit. JJ and Jeff looked, and sounded, and -played- like a 16bit next gen game. If I would have played that shit back in 1987 though??? FFfuuuufufufuuu... my mind would have been blown.

The problem with most gamers fond of the 16bit, is that they got into the 16bit generation later on (like 1992 or later). They have a skewed view of what '16bit' is. While I didn't own a Genesis right off the bat, I did play my friends quite a bit (he also had a TG16). I got my Genesis Jan' of 1991. 16bit style was still evolving. There wasn't a lot of difference in the beginning titles of the TG16 and Genesis. It wasn't until about when Sonic came out, that Genesis titles seemed to mature in animation department. Carts got bigger. I remember "Strider 8megs ohh crap!". I while did see an evolution in hucards, it didn't seem as great as in the Genesis. CD games were great, but CD 2.0 was pretty limiting. SuperCD 3.0 ram was desperately needed. Yes, I had played TGCD games early (my brother bought the addon, and a friend how gotten on as well). When the SNES hit the scene, I thought for sure the Turbo was dead. I just remember the SNES being incredible. It's launch games impressed, even with the slowdown. Such visuals... my god.. my eye!

But once I got over the superficial visuals (and audio... that was incredible too), I just played all three systems. I imported stuff for the Duo and eventually Genesis as well. Turbo games did have this more simplistic charm to them, even later ones. But they never seemed '8bit'. Shit, most of the magazines stated that it had two 8bit processors. That was the most believed theory. I never heard of anyone, back in the day, calling turbo games 8bit. 8bit meant NES and all it would have taken is a few minutes of playing some old NES games to realized the stupidity of such a statement. That's not to say that there weren't arguments or such. When the SNES came out, the Turbo's sound chip caught a lot of flack from gamer friends that I knew. Even didn't care for it much anymore. I wanted CD games anyway, so it didn't matter much. But same for the Genesis, after the SNES came out.. the Genesis was sounding VERY dated. Sometimes embarrassingly so. Hell, if the SMS had been popular here long with the FM module, we'd being saying how 8bit the Genesis sounds. If the Turbo feels borderline 8bit, then you don't know what 8bit is. Noob!

EvilEvoIX

8 Bit sounding Genesis?  Streets of rage sounds 8-bit?  To Tatsujin, those pics are great and all but they are just screen shots.  How the games look, the PCE looks incredible for the most part with it's color pallet.  How do the games play, how do they move?  Back in the day when I would look at screen shots the SNES looked great.  Playing those games leave much to be desired.  As we know the PCE has a superior CPU to the SNES.
Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/03/2013, 08:48 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 03:22 PMBorderline 8-Bit, oh you mean like JJ & Jeff, or Dragon Spirit?  Yeah that didn't damage the Turbo market at all.  Those games lacked anything visually stunning.  I didn't stop playing them however and they still entertained me.  But you have to agree those style of games in the U.S did a LOT of damage.  Keith Courage too at least Sega made a quality arcade translation right off the bat that looked next gen at the time
JJ&Jeff originally is a game from 30 Nov. 1987, furthermore it was a release game. It looked FANTASTIC back in 1987 and not anything near 8-bit as we knew it from any other NES and SMS games at that time. nice colors, fast and responding gameplay, high resolution, good music. in fact there was a real wonderboy game behind that title. The kung fu (30 Nov. 1987 as well), showing of with sprites such huge, almost never seen in any arcade game at that time. R-Type lol? only  about one half a year later of its own and mighty arcade release, a 95% arcade perfect port of that one in a decade arcade ULTRA SMASH HIT, for your own home! only on PCE. lol, where is that borderline 8-Bit?

PCE has proven to show of almost any arcade ports between 1987 and 1995 as to be the best and most accurate ports during the whole 16-bit console era. how can it be borderline 8-Bit if it won 1st ranks so many times over MD and SFC?

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 03:22 PMYou really couldn't take a MD or SNES game, at least their main mascots and move it back a generation without serious cuts.
Oh no no, but of course not.. sega and nintendo never would have do that. wake up mc evo, wake up.
Like I said, excuses, do you know the pile of western 8-bit shit I could pick from?  THE PCE has good games, the Turbo really did not at first.  That was my point.  Please read carefully.

Stating that the MD had "8-bit sound" is cute but a comparison of sound FX and chip tunes is really a uphill battle for the PCE.  The amount of music and the quality the of the Music the MD displayed is amazing.  Again I need only point out Streets of Rage, nothing like that on the PCE in chip tunes.  That doesn't mean the PCE sounds BAD, I like the sound, it had its own specific sound and FX, but the MD had superior sound technology.
I think that the pics above look great, any vids to the games running?
IMGIMGIMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 10:13 PM8 Bit sounding Genesis?  Streets of rage sounds 8-bit?  To Tatsujin, those pics are great and all but they are just screen shots.  How the games look, the PCE looks incredible for the most part with it's color pallet.  How do the games play, how do they move?  Back in the day when I would look at screen shots the SNES looked great.  Playing those games leave much to be desired.  As we know the PCE has a superior CPU to the SNES.
Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/03/2013, 08:48 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 03:22 PMBorderline 8-Bit, oh you mean like JJ & Jeff, or Dragon Spirit?  Yeah that didn't damage the Turbo market at all.  Those games lacked anything visually stunning.  I didn't stop playing them however and they still entertained me.  But you have to agree those style of games in the U.S did a LOT of damage.  Keith Courage too at least Sega made a quality arcade translation right off the bat that looked next gen at the time
JJ&Jeff originally is a game from 30 Nov. 1987, furthermore it was a release game. It looked FANTASTIC back in 1987 and not anything near 8-bit as we knew it from any other NES and SMS games at that time. nice colors, fast and responding gameplay, high resolution, good music. in fact there was a real wonderboy game behind that title. The kung fu (30 Nov. 1987 as well), showing of with sprites such huge, almost never seen in any arcade game at that time. R-Type lol? only  about one half a year later of its own and mighty arcade release, a 95% arcade perfect port of that one in a decade arcade ULTRA SMASH HIT, for your own home! only on PCE. lol, where is that borderline 8-Bit?

Like I said, excuses, do you know the pile of western 8-bit shit I could pick from?  THE PCE has good games, the Turbo really did not at first.  That was my point.  Please read carefully.

Stating that the MD had "8-bit sound" is cute but a comparison of sound FX and chip tunes is really a uphill battle for the PCE.  The amount of music and the quality the of the Music the MD displayed is amazing.  Again I need only point out Streets of Rage, nothing like that on the PCE in chip tunes.  That doesn't mean the PCE sounds BAD, I like the sound, it had its own specific sound and FX, but the MD had superior sound technology.
I think that the pics above look great, any vids to the games running?
I never stated something like "MD had 8-bit sound". Quote carefully.

and also i do not differ between PCE or TG-16 in terms of hardware. Why should i? it's the fucking same thing. and that is about what you started to hitchhike this thread at the very beginning. about total hardware (graphics, sound and sprite movement) comparisons, insteat of a nude CPU comparison, on which you still did not get what the CPU work in a console really is about.

and now you hitchhike this thread even further away? total hardware comparison is not good enuff for you anymore, no, now also regional marketings etc. of each console have to be involved for the quest of finding out which system had more power? knock it off, dude. you're just digging your own holes were you constantly falling into.

and just look at that forgotten worlds comparison above. the MD looks like a downgraded SMS version, whilst the PCE version is near to arcade perfection. btw. they do play about the same. MD had 2P. which PCE didn't. also chicki boys plays about the same, just that the PCE is way much more fun looking at all these almost arcade perfect ported BGs and colors. raiden plays perfect on the PCE, i even like it a psort better than the arcade itself in terms of playability. and daimakaimura plays as good as daimakaimura have to play. MD isn't a bad port in terms of playability and sound, but it grafics really looks very sorry compared to the PCE.

EvilEvoIX

I think the earlier games on the PCE are incredible and colorful.  I think that Daimakaimura is the best in the 8-16 bit versions out there even if it was on the SGX.

Hitchhikign the thread away?  If I am guilty almost everyone in this thread is guilty.  Everyone knows that the Western marketing sucked ass and killed the system.  Has nothing to do with the HU6280.

Forgotten worlds?  PCE better hands down.  This is not tough to compare, the MD has it's share of clunkers.  The issue I was having is with the later games, the sprites filling the screen and keeping the frame-rate reasonable.  We all know the HU6280 is great but I feel the later MD games showed us stuff that the PCE would have real trouble doing.  I could be an ass and say Jim Powers but we all know it is a multiscrolling game with as many levels as possible.  I do want to stay on topic and when push comes to shove, the MG68K had the edge on sprites, the variety of sizes in sprites, and over all speed.  Does this mean that the PCE isn't comparable, no, it does not, it means it's different and you get different style games that play to the systems strengths.
IMGIMGIMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 11:06 PMEveryone knows that the Western marketing sucked ass and killed the system.  Has nothing to do with the HU6280.
And that's why it has absolute no business in this topic. And who brought it in?

Arkhan Asylum

The MD often uses the z80 as an audio coprocessor.

It's 8bit.

OMFG 8 BIT SOUND. 

OMFG.

OMFG
OMFG
MFG
FG
G

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2013, 11:15 PMThe MD often uses the z80 as an audio coprocessor.

It's 8bit.

OMFG 8 BIT SOUND. 

OMFG.

OMFG
OMFG
MFG
FG
G
I've been beaten at my own game, how humiliating.   Now back to Bloody Wolf.
IMGIMGIMG

esteban

STATUS: for the past few days, I have dutifully tried to finish reading this thread before catching up on the other topics. I FINALLY FINISHED THIS DAMN THREAD.

A "shout out" goes to The Professor for keeping things interesting. IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

spenoza

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 11:06 PMI think the earlier games on the PCE are inedible...
I should think so. The plastic is probably non-toxic, but some of the materials that go into circuit boards are really not going to be good for your gut. Also, watch your teeth on those things.

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 06/05/2013, 07:06 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/03/2013, 11:06 PMI think the earlier games on the PCE are inedible...
I should think so. The plastic is probably non-toxic, but some of the materials that go into circuit boards are really not going to be good for your gut. Also, watch your teeth on those things.
lol, so this in fact was no r-typo?

EvilEvoIX

Stupid auto correct.  Imagine trying to eat a MD game?  There is a new HU6280 vs MD68K thread but its going so slow.  The folks over on the Sega forums seem to think the 68K can do 3d things better than the HU6280.
IMGIMGIMG

Psycho Punch

Oh god my brain hurts. I shouldn't have read a thread fully where someone mentally blocks hard facts presented in a clear and concise manner through 16 pages.

At least I can inaugurate my ignore list.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

CrackTiger

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/05/2013, 08:09 PM
Stupid auto correct.  Imagine trying to eat a MD game?  There is a new HU6280 vs MD68K thread but its going so slow.  The folks over on the Sega forums seem to think the 68K can do 3d things better than the HU6280.
One person did and I believe a couple others disagreed. But it was more like, "the PCE can't do polygons at all" countered by "that's probably not true". In both cases, it sounded like guesses.

It wouldn't surprise me if it could be proven that the MD is better at polygonal stuff. If polygons get rendered using a tile layer, the MD would still have one left over for a background. Someone (Tom?) talked about it once.

The PCE certainly has no trouble doing 3D line-drawn corridors.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 06/05/2013, 10:23 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/05/2013, 08:09 PM
One person did and I believe a couple others disagreed. But it was more like, "the PCE can't do polygons at all" countered by "that's probably not true". In both cases, it sounded like guesses.

It wouldn't surprise me if it could be proven that the MD is better at polygonal stuff. If polygons get rendered using a tile layer, the MD would still have one left over for a background. Someone (Tom?) talked about it once.

The PCE certainly has no trouble doing 3D line-drawn corridors.
I know the PCE can draw Polygons.  I think it was stated that the MD68K can do it better.

Quote from: guest on 06/05/2013, 10:18 PMOh god my brain hurts. I shouldn't have read a thread fully where someone mentally blocks hard facts presented in a clear and concise manner through 16 pages.

At least I can inaugurate my ignore list.
Dude, it's like 8-bit, that's like 8 bits less than the MD.  Unless you include the BIOS upgrades from the system 3.0 card duh....
IMGIMGIMG

TurboXray

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/05/2013, 10:52 PMDude, it's like 8-bit, that's like 8 bits less than the MD.  Unless you include the BIOS upgrades from the system 3.0 card duh....
Ah-hahaha. Few here will get that joke/reference. You do know that I'm tomaitheous from sega-16, right?

QuoteThe folks over on the Sega forums seem to think the 68K can do 3d things better than the HU6280.
If you had bothered to follow along, Touko and I were looking over stef's line fill code. And using code lists with jump tables, the 68k has the edge cycle wise (both clearing the buffer and line drawing to memory). But the real big difference is the VDP tile format of the Genesis. It's already in packed pixel mode, instead of the less friendly planar format (snes, pce). But you already knew that...

Tatsujin

Quote from: TurboXray on 06/05/2013, 11:15 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/05/2013, 10:52 PMDude, it's like 8-bit, that's like 8 bits less than the MD.  Unless you include the BIOS upgrades from the system 3.0 card duh....
Ah-hahaha. Few here will get that joke/reference. You do know that I'm tomaitheous from sega-16, right?
oh lol, let me guess. you put a trap in his way and he promptly fell into?

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/05/2013, 10:52 PMDude, it's like 8-bit, that's like 8 bits less than the MD.  Unless you include the BIOS upgrades from the system 3.0 card duh....

QuoteThe folks over on the Sega forums seem to think the 68K can do 3d things better than the HU6280.
If you had bothered to follow along, Touko and I were looking over stef's line fill code. And using code lists with jump tables, the 68k has the edge cycle wise (both clearing the buffer and line drawing to memory). But the real big difference is the VDP tile format of the Genesis. It's already in packed pixel mode, instead of the less friendly planar format (snes, pce). But you already knew that...
That's was I was searching for, and a quality addition to this thread.  Of course I know who you are, how can I forget teaching you about the bios revisions, specifically the Neo Geo bios that almost was.
IMGIMGIMG

VenomMacbeth

Anyone who says the PCE's sound is inadequate needs to listen to this game:
Just because it didn't always do better than beeps & bloops, doesn't mean it couldn't.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

PCEngineHell

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 06/06/2013, 02:41 AMAnyone who says the PCE's sound is inadequate needs to listen to this game:
Just because it didn't always do better than beeps & bloops, doesn't mean it couldn't.
Most every system used "bleeps and bloops" for sound fx in shooters, so trying to finger point to this as being a system fault is kind of anal and hypocritical. This was basically standard fare on any given home system for shooters. That was a decision made by the programmers sound division usually, and not due to any imaginary sound hardware limit other then ram. If they wanted constant digitized sounding explosions or whatever blaring out and cutting in on the music, they could have done that, but I would imagine it would be at the expense of ram, and possibly the annoyance of the player. They had to strike a balance, and that was not always easy to do. At any rate I always considered Parodius to be a fine example of PCE audio. The audio was clean and well defined, and very upbeat musically. The voice samples were also very clear. Stage 2 in fact is quite impressive for the system, both visually and audio wise. Considering the hardware the arcade original used, this was a pretty good port all things considered.
I think there is a good reason why we didn't see any Gradius or Parodius titles on MD/Genesis. I honestly don't think they would have ported over well given the VDP's limits on color, etc. It def was not due to being hardware exclusive, since both Snes and PCE got ports of Konami shooters from the series. It probably had more to do with them looking at the 3 platforms and just realizing the MD would have done the weakest job of it and ended up being unnecessary (the Saturn got Konami's arcade shooter love though). Sales in Japan were already low for the MD as is anyway. What support they gave the system was always considered a mixed blessing too. Stuff like Sunset Riders clearly didn't port over well at all, and even TMNT looked pretty bland visually due to the color limits (clearly they had to make sacrifices to the sprites they reused from Turtles in Time).

Bloodlines looked good, but they got to cater that game from the ground up around the VDP and it still didn't match Dracula X's visuals.  People cant use cart versus cd storage as an excuse here either, as both Snes Castlevania titles hold up well against Dracula X, visually or otherwise). This was the case with most Konami titles more catered to the MD VDP, compared to the few "ports" they attempted. Port wise their strongest title was probably Lethal Enforcers or Snatcher. That's not really saying much.

touko

ahahah great, a trick for you ..
If you choose the pygmy language in system3 menu, you can boost the PCE into a 32 bit console ..  :wink:

Tatsujin

The pce already has itself proofed to be 32-bits, it outrunned both the MD and SNES.

2*16-bit = 32-bit

touko

LOL,you also know this trick  :mrgreen:

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/06/2013, 05:28 AMThe pce already has itself proofed to be 32-bits, it outrunned both the MD and SNES.

2*16-bit = 32-bit
When in doubt, use Atari or SNK math.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/05/2013, 11:18 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 06/05/2013, 10:52 PMDude, it's like 8-bit, that's like 8 bits less than the MD.  Unless you include the BIOS upgrades from the system 3.0 card duh....
oh lol, let me guess. you put a trap in his way and he promptly fell into?
When EvilEvoIX first started all of this crap on sega-16, he wasted many more pages than this in multiple threads,  swearing up and down that HuCards, especially the crappier games, showed everything that the PCE could possibly do (just like here, he would cite top tier MD games and lower end PCE games as a rational comparison). He went on and on about how the CD-ROM was a major hardware upgrade and that the stock PCE could not handle any CD game, even without the CD music and adpcm.

After programmers, tech experts and everyone else pointed out the obvious for a long tine, he finally switched his tactic to insisting that the System Cards are bios upgrades which transform the PCE hardware, giving it new capabilities. Basically the same thing as the 32X, but not quite as much of a boost in power and special abilities. Kind of like some of the websites during the late 90's, which claimed that the power of the Arcade Card grants the PCE Playstation level realtime 3D capabilities.

Again, he argued this for way too long and lost what was left of any respect within the forum. When he decided that he still wanted to be a part of the 'hardcore gaming' community, he embarrassingly went out of his way to parody himself as often as he could, no matter how out of place it was in a discussion. The idea was to convince everyone that wasn't such and an ignorant fool and had actually just been joking around all along. Except it only cemented his image of total lack of self awareness, as he couldn't figure out that instead of saving face, this would mean that he was really just a relentless troll all along.

If he had instead simply apologized for being so thick and wasting everyone's time and admitted that he was totally wrong  but understands now..  THAT would have had the desired effect. But his recent tirade here has only proven that he was serious all along, as well as addicted to trolling/flame wars.

Maybe the 180 degree switch to suddenly saying the exact opposite of his recent arguments and winking and nudging will fool a couple people. But this thread has shown that it's only a matter of time before he tries doing all of this again any where that will listen.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PCEngineHell

How many forums has he tried this shit on exactly, and how long has he been doing this? I am surprised he wasn't ousted for this early on here. If I had known I'd never had sold anything PCE related to him realizing he had no respect for the system or anything.

CrackTiger

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/06/2013, 01:19 PMHow many forums has he tried this shit on exactly, and how long has he been doing this? I am surprised he wasn't ousted for this early on here. If I had known I'd never had sold anything PCE related to him realizing he had no respect for the system or anything.
He said both that everyone agreed with him in the neo-geo forums as well as many people strongly disagreed with him.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he came here to actually learn about the PCE before judging it. He seems to be interested in becoming another "hardcore gaming" celebrity on youtube. The kind that is considered an expert if they own a PCE system and prove it by showing it on camera.

He also argued that the PCE sux because all the games and all the hardware is more expensive than Genesis stuff. I guess that after he was told that people actually buy stuff for half the eBay prices he was quoting, he figured that if anyone deserves to scoop up the kinds of steals that gougers say we lie about, it should be him.

Arkhan Asylum

Wait you mean the Super Grafx + Arcade Card doesn't compete with the Playstation?

fuck.

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/06/2013, 04:46 AMMost every system used "bleeps and bloops" for sound fx in shooters, so trying to finger point to this as being a system fault is kind of anal and hypocritical.
Was this directed at me?  Because, I don't mind the bleeps & bloops...
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!