@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Some mods

Started by TurboXray, 08/16/2013, 09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboXray

Before people get there panties in a bunch (either excited or dismissive), this is just for fun. I've written quite a few different resample drivers for the PCE over the years (they all have different advantages). 7khz, 7.86khz, 15.7khz, 40khz-224khz, etc (I think etc, or maybe that's all of them). Some did the resampling inside the interrupt routine, others did it in sequence to a buffer for the driver to play. Blah-blah-blah.

Anyway, my MOD pattern/fx decoder was never finished. I had a convertor to take MOD/XMs and convert them, but... well, nevermind that. So this is David Michael's mod player. It's not finished either, but a decent amount of FX are supported. Quite simple, but while the code works - it's far from optimized. It did the resampling inside the interrupt routine, converted the sample on the fly inside the routine, etc. Blah, blah, yadda-yadda. I always wondered why DM's player sounded so harsh, until I looked at it and found out that ... jitter from a not fast enough interrupt routine. Made high frequencies sound like crap. So, with a little help - here's DM's mod player with a few mods, without the jitter. Doesn't sound too bad. I was supposed to keep this hush-hush, but it's been like... over 5 years now..... come on! (GOB reference)
(has two different songs in the video)
Personally, I like the PCE sound. Going with (re)samplers like this, you loose that. Still, PCE sound lacks a few things IMO. A fatter bottom end and some instruments with more pronounced timbre other than just detuning two channels and using vibrato. I think the marriage of the two would probably yield some decent PCE-fied tunes. Anyway, this is just one of those - hey, check this out. Kind of thing. Some instruments in the video/mods sounds decent, while others not so much. Non of these samples are preprocessed. They're straight 7khz resampled on the fly. This is roughly what later gen GBA games did (7-8khz to a single 9bit stereo dac with a resampler routine.)

esteban

Quote from: TurboXray on 08/16/2013, 09:08 PMA fatter bottom end and some instruments with more pronounced timbre other than just detuning two channels and using vibrato. I think the marriage of the two would probably yield some decent PCE-fied tunes. Anyway, this is just one of those - hey, check this out. Kind of thing. Some instruments in the video/mods sounds decent, while others not so much. Non of these samples are preprocessed. They're straight 7khz resampled on the fly. This is roughly what later gen GBA games did (7-8khz to a single 9bit stereo dac with a resampler routine.)
Not to repeat my YubeTube comments, but...awesome.  :pcgs:

I agree with you that a more robust lower end that could really rumble the floorboards would have been nice, but I don't think any of the consoles (at the time) were offering much in that department (sadly).  Even Red Book was often mixed/equalized towards the midrange. I think the reasoning was thus: unless you have a console + stereo, you're not going to appreciate a wide dynamic range on mediocre, underpowered TV speakers. I could be overstating things, but I don't think I'm too far off the mark.

ANECDOTE: Back in the day, I hooked my NES up to an old 8-track+turntable stereo, later a nice Marantz receiver...that was the only way to play. I even had an ANCIENT wireless headphone system that required stapling an antenna loop to the ceiling joists in the basement. I must have put up 100' of wire (unbeknownst to my parents). I don't think the transmitter could handle more than 100', which meant I could only wire two rooms.  As long as you didn't stray too far, the damn things worked well. This was mid-80's, and I thought it was awesome. If you went up to the second story, the headphones could only catch a clear signal in a few, specific spots.  My bed, luckily, was one spot. I used to listen to TV shows (or play a VHS tape) whilst falling asleep. I had to lie perfectly still, though, because the signal was so weak that even the slightest twitch of my skull would cut off reception.
[/anecdote]
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

_Paul

spenoza

This is actually really fantastic. sounds really awesome. How memory and CPU-intensive is it? Is this the kind of thing that could ultimately be stripped down to be an actual in-game music engine?

touko

Vecanti

FLETCH!!!!!!! 

That is beyond awesome.  So does this actually play Mods in real-time? I would love to fire up my Amiga and play some my dozens of old Mods on my Turbo :)

I'm guessing this is something that will never be released though it sounds like?

roflmao

These are awesome!