OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine

Started by sirhcman, 09/19/2016, 09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

Saru's waiting on paperwork for all the legal mumbo jumbo right now. So much red tape, it's nuts. At least things are going smoothly on the legal front now. Oh... and if you have anything with the Henshin Engine brand name on it... hold onto that shit coz you never know, it might be worth a small fortune later on. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

NightWolve

Wow, sorry to hear guys! Here I thought when I clicked in this thread I'd see routine update reports... Son of a biotch, what were the odds a bastard had trademarked something similar already and was scanning the net with Google to protect it ?? Pfffffft... Really hard to believe...

Quote from: Gredler on 11/21/2017, 05:08 PMGlad I'm not working on anything that could get potentially C&D'ed

IMG
Ha!

OldRover

The game itself has reached the point where we can call it completed. I'm doing a ton of tests to iron out any potential issues it may still have though, which requires numerous playthroughs (which is what killed MSR for me, heh). I can honestly say that it will be worth the wait. We have spent seemingly countless hours tweaking and redesigning things to make the game fun but also a good challenge without losing sight of the main focuses of being balanced and, above all else, fair. Not everyone's gonna like the game and there's sure to be people complaining that it took to long to complete but ya know what? You're gonna get that no matter what ya do, so yeah. It's not for everyone but we like it, and if we like it, others will like it too. We did our best to make a game that is enjoyable and that's what matters the most. :)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

turboswimbz

Quote from: OldRover on 12/13/2017, 01:10 AMThe game itself has reached the point where we can call it completed. I'm doing a ton of tests to iron out any potential issues it may still have though, which requires numerous playthroughs (which is what killed MSR for me, heh). I can honestly say that it will be worth the wait. We have spent seemingly countless hours tweaking and redesigning things to make the game fun but also a good challenge without losing sight of the main focuses of being balanced and, above all else, fair. Not everyone's gonna like the game and there's sure to be people complaining that it took to long to complete but ya know what? You're gonna get that no matter what ya do, so yeah. It's not for everyone but we like it, and if we like it, others will like it too. We did our best to make a game that is enjoyable and that's what matters the most. :)
Thank you.  I look forward to playing it and seeing all that you (and team) put into it.  love it or hate it, just knowing the level of detail you all did is worth it enough to put it up on the old shelf and in the duo.  Homebrew = Lovebrew.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

ginoscope

Quote from: OldRover on 12/13/2017, 01:10 AMThe game itself has reached the point where we can call it completed. I'm doing a ton of tests to iron out any potential issues it may still have though, which requires numerous playthroughs (which is what killed MSR for me, heh). I can honestly say that it will be worth the wait. We have spent seemingly countless hours tweaking and redesigning things to make the game fun but also a good challenge without losing sight of the main focuses of being balanced and, above all else, fair. Not everyone's gonna like the game and there's sure to be people complaining that it took to long to complete but ya know what? You're gonna get that no matter what ya do, so yeah. It's not for everyone but we like it, and if we like it, others will like it too. We did our best to make a game that is enjoyable and that's what matters the most. :)
Thanks and I am looking forward to the game.  I played the demo a few weeks ago and the music and just the tone of the game brought me back to 1993.  You can never please everyone but any new homebrew is always appreciated.

seieienbu

Since I'm a jerk who didn't pre-order, how do I go about getting the game?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

OldRover

Well, first you wait for it to go to manufacturing, which will be happening as soon as the paperwork clears. :D Then, it'll be available for ordering on the new website, which won't be live until said paperwork clears.

EDIT: Got a late-breaking update... the paperwork hasn't cleared yet because the clerk is a colorblind idiot. WE PRESS ONNNNNN.

CrackTiger

I recently tried out a beta version of the game formerly known as Henshin Engine in Magic Engine and took screenshots from most of the stages.

The color counts were all 90'ish to 100'ish. The only shot that was only around 50 colors is from the tree top section of the Badonk stage (which does have the gradient and clouds again), but I believe that particular shot only had one or no enemies in it.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gredler

Can't wait to see the finished product. Great job BT, everything shown so far is looking awesome!

esteban

Quote from: The Old Rover on 12/13/2017, 09:34 PMWell, first you wait for it to go to manufacturing, which will be happening as soon as the paperwork clears. :D Then, it'll be available for ordering on the new website, which won't be live until said paperwork clears.

EDIT: Got a late-breaking update... the paperwork hasn't cleared yet because the clerk is a colorblind idiot. WE PRESS ONNNNNN.
Quote from: guest on 12/15/2017, 11:45 AMI recently tried out a beta version of the game formerly known as Henshin Engine in Magic Engine and took screenshots from most of the stages.

The color counts were all 90'ish to 100'ish. The only shot that was only around 50 colors is from the tree top section of the Badonk stage (which does have the gradient and clouds again), but I believe that particular shot only had one or no enemies in it.
Friggin' awesome!

Slowly, but surely, we march for Great Justice.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Here is a 101 color screenshot that I don't think is too spoilery.

It gives an idea of how intense some of the later sections of the game can get.

IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

MCalvert1

Is this going to be making an appearance at Magfest in a couple weeks?

MjC

esteban

OldRover

The trademark is live, so it's time for the big reveal! :D And yeah, I'm probably more excited for it than... well, everyone else... but hey, whatevs. :lol:

Both the comic and the game are now known as FX-Unit Yuki. That is the trademarked name. This game in particular will be subtitled "The Henshin Engine", which is a recursive acronym, heh. All of the games will use this format: "FX-Unit Yuki: [subtitle]". So, for this one, it's "FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine".

eponasoft.com/yuki-1016.png

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 12/25/2017, 07:15 PMThe trademark is live, so it's time for the big reveal! :D And yeah, I'm probably more excited for it than... well, everyone else... but hey, whatevs. :lol:

Both the comic and the game are now known as FX-Unit Yuki. That is the trademarked name. This game in particular will be subtitled "The Henshin Engine", which is a recursive acronym, heh. All of the games will use this format: "FX-Unit Yuki: [subtitle]". So, for this one, it's "FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine".

eponasoft.com/yuki-1016.png
Awesome. :)

turboswimbz

Great news.  FX-UNIT . . . hahaha to the pron title thread in FS!
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

sirhcman

Quote from: OldRover on 12/25/2017, 07:15 PMSo, for this one, it's "FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine".
Thanks Rover I have changed the title of the thread to reflect the new title name. Good luck to you guys and look forward to the "Oni-Bro" follow-up game ;)

Is there a new web url or any changes to contact info for the original post that I should change?

OldRover

Fluffers McFluff is still working on the new website but it's right here:

http://www.fxunityuki.com/

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

NecroPhile

FX-Unit Yuki is a good name too.  Me likey.  :mrgreen:

But does that mean her outfit is based on a PC-FX instead of a PCE?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

turboswimbz

Any time-frame on when you guys expect shipping, live ordering to be up?  Looks like the Home Stretch!

Sarumaru

Quote from: guest on 12/26/2017, 09:16 AMFX-Unit Yuki is a good name too.  Me likey.  :mrgreen:

But does that mean her outfit is based on a PC-FX instead of a PCE?
That part hasn't changed. In the comic, she has always been known as FX-Unit Yuki once she's merged with the FX Engine which is simply meant to parody the names of both the PCE and PC-FX but essentially she is a PC Engine. All I did was take her title in the story and make it the title for everything, which we like better because when I created the title "Henshin Engine", I had no plans to expand on the story like I have now. Since the story is a bit convoluted, it means Yuki will have more than likely have a sequel to be able to explain it all. However, FX-Unit Yuki 2 will likely not materialize until 2019.  As far as this game goes, it gets sent to manufacturing after new years cray-crays.

turboswimbz

Awesome Saru!

Here's to 2018 and some sweet Homebrew.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Ѕarumaru on 12/26/2017, 11:45 AMThat part hasn't changed. In the comic, she has always been known as FX-Unit Yuki once she's merged with the FX Engine which is simply meant to parody the names of both the PCE and PC-FX but essentially she is a PC Engine. All I did was take her title in the story and make it the title for everything, which we like better because when I created the title "Henshin Engine", I had no plans to expand on the story like I have now. Since the story is a bit convoluted, it means Yuki will have more than likely have a sequel to be able to explain it all. However, FX-Unit Yuki 2 will likely not materialize until 2019.  As far as this game goes, it gets sent to manufacturing after new years cray-crays.
So what you're saying is that I'm a retard and didn't pay close enough attention to the comics?

That sounds about right.  :mrgreen:

Sarumaru

Quote from: guest on 12/26/2017, 12:38 PM
Quote from: Ѕarumaru on 12/26/2017, 11:45 AMThat part hasn't changed. In the comic, she has always been known as FX-Unit Yuki once she's merged with the FX Engine which is simply meant to parody the names of both the PCE and PC-FX but essentially she is a PC Engine. All I did was take her title in the story and make it the title for everything, which we like better because when I created the title "Henshin Engine", I had no plans to expand on the story like I have now. Since the story is a bit convoluted, it means Yuki will have more than likely have a sequel to be able to explain it all. However, FX-Unit Yuki 2 will likely not materialize until 2019.  As far as this game goes, it gets sent to manufacturing after new years cray-crays.
So what you're saying is that I'm a retard and didn't pay close enough attention to the comics?

That sounds about right.  :mrgreen:
The new game title was also present in the intro when Yuki transforms into tits-engine.

Sarumaru

esteban

I think the most important point you made in that update (#3) is that, ultimately,  the delays/hassles facing PCE Henshin Engine "now" have very likely saved you from major heartbreak/dilemmas in the near future.

I really think this all worked out for the best, especially when I think about how complicated and ugly it could have gotten once physical copies were released and/or the other teams(s) had already ported the game...

I SEE ONLY GOOD THINGS.

Gredler

hahah I love the first stage before and after comparison

schweaty

I might be in the minority, but i like the new name a little better than the old one.  I also like that it will be an umbrella title for future releases.  More quality homebrew to look forward to.

exodus

I think the new name is better as wellllllllllll

Sarumaru

All of the YouTube posts seem to be positive and everyone seemed to take a liking to the new name which makes me happy. There were a couple sour grapes in the Kickstarter comments though, one guy got on my nerves bad so I offered him a refund. Didn't hear a peep from him since.

As far as the new name goes, if Yuki gets popular enough then those old demo discs might wind up on the eBays  :lol:

MNKyDeth

I hav a pre-mgc .iso I am willing to sell for $500.  I swear I won't make any copies of the iso and sell it again......

I have mgc cdrom and cdrom packet  with mgc markings.
I also have henshin blank cdrom inserts front and back and two different buttons. All for a measly price of $750. Because of the rarity of course.

Jk ;D

However it makes for fine shelf candy when I want to play or show off something at a very early stage of development or in the making of.....

However... If Saru doesn't mind. I'll host up some of those .iso files I have as the game is so near it's release. Not sure if it matters or not if I throw them up on the net for peeps to see if they missed out on some of the early betas/alphas. For free of course.
I guess I should also mention ... Only if I can even find the iso on my server. :)

NecroPhile

What kind of maroon gets mad about the name change?  You backed the game, doofus, not the name.

turboswimbz

Quote from: Ѕarumaru on 01/04/2018, 08:52 PMAll of the YouTube posts seem to be positive and everyone seemed to take a liking to the new name which makes me happy. There were a couple sour grapes in the Kickstarter comments though, one guy got on my nerves bad so I offered him a refund. Didn't hear a peep from him since.

As far as the new name goes, if Yuki gets popular enough then those old demo discs might wind up on the eBays  :lol:
Yeah this is the problem with kickstarters.  but ehh only a few people upset is good.  and everyone will get their games and be happy. For a first project and seeing it through all these problems I give you a ton of credit.  Thanks for the project Saru.

let's hope we see a bunch more homebrew and games for the community going forward.

Sarumaru

Quote from: turboswimbz on 01/05/2018, 10:52 AM
Quote from: Ѕarumaru on 01/04/2018, 08:52 PMAll of the YouTube posts seem to be positive and everyone seemed to take a liking to the new name which makes me happy. There were a couple sour grapes in the Kickstarter comments though, one guy got on my nerves bad so I offered him a refund. Didn't hear a peep from him since.

Yeah this is the problem with kickstarters.  but ehh only a few people upset is good.  and everyone will get their games and be happy. For a first project and seeing it through all these problems I give you a ton of credit.  Thanks for the project Saru.

let's hope we see a bunch more homebrew and games for the community going forward.
Thanks Swimby! There are many more games I would like to make but no programmers (at least on the PCE side) available to help turn my ideas and arts into games. Because of this, I am considering moving some projects over to the Mega Drive/Genesis where there are more willing programmers. Rover will be busy working on the PC port of Yuki as well as Lucretia after the PCE port of Yuki is out. And quite frankly, I really want to utilize him for FX-Unit Yuki 2 and don't want him to burn out before then because his brain is overloaded with Yuki as it is. So if anyone knows any programmers who are willing to do some contract work for some fun projects, send em my way :)

Also, looks like Yuki made a small appearance towards the end of Metal Jesus Rocks new vid towards then end. I'll link the timestamp;
EDIT: Y'all can help raise more Yuki awareness on the youtubes by commenting on this video about Yuki! Or on any Yuki videos on the webs. Everything helps and I think more PCE awareness isn't a bad thing.

turboswimbz

Yuki at 43:30
I'll def send anyone I can your way.  I'd help out if I was any good at coding.

seieienbu

Good on the word getting spread; I hope the game sells well!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

NightWolve

Quote from: turboswimbz on 01/05/2018, 05:50 PMYuki at 43:30
Cool, a proud, new owner of a Duo-R and a Henshin Engine supporter! Brings a tear to my eye. :)

#BePCELove

OldRover

I wrote this on Facebook at the start of the year but figured I'd fill in whoever doesn't read that trash site...

This is going to be my last game for awhile. I am completely burned out. I am trying my hardest to stay focused enough to finish this off but it's not been easy in the slightest. Once it's finally done with, Saru will supply the final sprites for Lucretia and we'll get that out too (the game is done, I can literally just drop in the sprites and rebuild the finished product in one command line entry), but after that, I'm done for awhile. I am taking the rest of 2018 off to focus on my own company which has exactly zero to do with game coding. I was considering retiring completely, but I'll be back to coding one more time in 2019 when we develop FX-Unit Yuki 2.

turboswimbz

Rove,

I look forward to these two games.

enjoy your much needed R&R.

Turbolove too ya

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 01/16/2018, 11:31 AMI wrote this on Facebook at the start of the year but figured I'd fill in whoever doesn't read that trash site...

This is going to be my last game for awhile. I am completely burned out. I am trying my hardest to stay focused enough to finish this off but it's not been easy in the slightest. Once it's finally done with, Saru will supply the final sprites for Lucretia and we'll get that out too (the game is done, I can literally just drop in the sprites and rebuild the finished product in one command line entry), but after that, I'm done for awhile. I am taking the rest of 2018 off to focus on my own company which has exactly zero to do with game coding. I was considering retiring completely, but I'll be back to coding one more time in 2019 when we develop FX-Unit Yuki 2.
Thank you for everything, comrade.

:)

OldRover

Having a problem finishing up the code. Can't get a fucking slope algorithm working adequately and it's pissing me right the fuck off. It's almost working but it's glitchy as fuck and it's driving me insane. I am positive that the math is correct but it still won't work no matter what I do.

OldMan

QuoteCan't get a fucking slope algorithm working adequately and it's pissing me right the fuck off. It's almost working but it's glitchy as fuck...
First rule of debugging: describe the problem as exactly as possible.

What is glitchy?
  Is it returning bad values?
  In what cases?
  What inputs make it fail?

Does it work by itself?
  Is it overflowing?

etc...

OldRover

No clue. All I know is that my math is right and this is confirmed on a logic calculator. I calculate the character's slope collision position (X+16, Y+32) within the tile by using their absolute position in the world and using bitwise AND against 0xF, which gives me the position within a 16x16 tile. That allows me to normalize their position within the tile, which is done when the character lands on the slope (otherwise, they'd just fall through it). Then, when the character is within the bounds of a slope tile, the code raises or lowers them based on the direction of the slope and the direction of the move. Except... it doesn't actually work properly all the time. It works great if there is no actual correction required (like walking along the ground and entering a slope... this works perfectly) but when correction is required, it doesn't correct the position properly and the character often gets stuck at peaks, bounces down the slope, etc. It's very frustrating.

Tilemap arrangement for a slope in 4-1

O  S /
   /
S/
/   O

^^ ok that representation sucks but meh.

To calc the collision position within the tile:
tileX = yukiX + vmapx + 16;
tileY = yukiY + vmapy + 32;
^^^ this works every time

esteban

Bounces down the slope Darkwing Duck style? Damn.

Good luck!

OldRover

Not fucking around with it any more. Fuck it. It's close enough. I have spent countless hours on this problem alone and this game is never gonna be finished if I keep fucking with it, so fuck it. Finishing off the last of the data entry for the fifth stage tonight and that will be the end of it.

CrackTiger

It's not a big deal in the latest version I've played. When it does happen, it doesn't affect gameplay in a significant way. It just makes you think "heh" for a second as you continue through the stage at the same pace.

Tw3ek

Wasn't this supposed to be done like 5 months ago? Run Saru out of town!  :P