@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Let's talk about light gun games.

Started by bartre, 08/05/2017, 01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartre

So a mixture of talking with a member here and that goddamned game sack video has gotten me on the train of light gun games again.
What's your favorite gun? gun game? what about weird extra hardware?

example: as clodbuster pointed out in another thread, there's these things:
IMG
SCPH-1160 / SCPH-10130
which serve as an interrupt to the normal AV cables.
these serve 3 purposes -
1. the RCA jacks allow you to more easily hook up to a stereo.
2. it gets more convenient to plug in an infrequently used guncon compatible light gun that requires composite video for sync.
3. you can use a video connection other than composite (this is the real reason to use it)

additionally, if you're using SCART cables, there's these:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-av-accessories/sony-PLAYSTATION-2-rgb-scart-cables/SONY-PLAYSTATION-2-PS2-CSYNC-COMPOSITE-SYNC-RGB-SCART-WTH-LIGHT-GUN-PORT

which is just a standard PS2 SCART cable with a lead for the video link right by the system plug.

Keeping with the Playstation theme, what other good light guns are there? I'm pretty much only super familiar with the guncon 1/2 Namco guns, though I know there's plenty of off brands.

Gypsy

I have a Nyko guncon that works with PS1 and Saturn. Works great but didn't work with one of the virtua cop games. So I had to use a stunner for that one.

jperryss

This is great timing as I have a PS2 hooked up with component cables to a PVM and am looking to pick up Time Crisis 3 and a guncon. Will it work or do I need to get an adapter of some sort?

kitkit.com

Light gun of my choice:
SNES - Konami Justifer
PS1 and PS3 - Namco Guncon
Sega Saturn - Japanese Stunner
Sega Dreamcast - Starfire Lightgun

I used to play lots of console gun games and here are my favorites:
SNES - Lethal Enforcer 1
PS1 - Point Blank 1 2 3, Elemental Gearbolt
PS3 - Time Crisis 4, House of the Dead Overkill
Sega Saturn - Virtua Cop 1 2, Area 51, Mechanical Violator Hakaider
Sega Dreamcast - Confidential Mission, House Of the Dead 2

bartre

Quote from: jperryss on 08/05/2017, 04:53 PMThis is great timing as I have a PS2 hooked up with component cables to a PVM and am looking to pick up Time Crisis 3 and a guncon. Will it work or do I need to get an adapter of some sort?
I just was playing time crisis 2 on my PVM with one of those adapter cables.
system -> adapter -> SCART
guncon plugged into the adapter.

but if you're asking about plugging the guncon in via one of the yPbPr cables..... i dunno.

kitkit - was there a difference other than color for the SS stunner?

also, wasn't Area 51 markedly better on PSX over SS?

I seriously need the point blank games....

Medic_wheat

I'd have to say PS2 guncon games really do it for me.

Mostly

Vampire Night (still remember playing the arcade during my first year in the Army in 2002)
Ninja Assult.

I also enjoy

Elemental Gear Bolt.

I have wanted to get a big box copy of the time crises PS3 game.

jperryss

Quote from: bartre on 08/05/2017, 06:15 PMI just was playing time crisis 2 on my PVM with one of those adapter cables.
system -> adapter -> SCART
guncon plugged into the adapter.

but if you're asking about plugging the guncon in via one of the yPbPr cables..... i dunno.
Yeah I'm technically running PS2 component to SCART to BNC. Wonder if I can hack up a solution without buying another cable.

kitkit.com

No difference other than the color for SS stunner.  I did most of my gaming on import Sega Saturn back in the days so I have not tried the PSX version for Area 51.

Yes, you need to try some point blank games!

Quote from: bartre on 08/05/2017, 06:15 PMkitkit - was there a difference other than color for the SS stunner?

also, wasn't Area 51 markedly better on PSX over SS?

I seriously need the point blank games....

bartre

Quote from: jperryss on 08/05/2017, 06:55 PMYeah I'm technically running PS2 component to SCART to BNC. Wonder if I can hack up a solution without buying another cable.
I think a fair amount of PVMs support component video.
my 2950Q does.
what's your model #?
depending, you might be able to just make a PS2->BNC cable.

and kitkit-
thanks, I was curious. I got a few JP light guns a bit back and they didn't feel different, but i wanted to be sure.
also, sell me a copy of point blank yo.

jperryss

Quote from: bartre on 08/05/2017, 08:08 PMI think a fair amount of PVMs support component video.
my 2950Q does.
what's your model #?
depending, you might be able to just make a PS2->BNC cable.
I have a 20L5, it does take component and I'm running PS2 component through it now, just through a SCART cable which then connects to a BNC RGB cable (the same PVM inputs are used for both RGB and component).

I suck at making nice cables. But if it's just a matter of tapping into the sync and ground wires of the SCART cable and splicing in an RCA jack for the guncon, that might be within my abilities.

GaijinD

Quote from: jperryss on 08/05/2017, 04:53 PMThis is great timing as I have a PS2 hooked up with component cables to a PVM and am looking to pick up Time Crisis 3 and a guncon. Will it work or do I need to get an adapter of some sort?
I've heard you can just connect the GunCon to the green wire on component cables to get the necessary sync, but my PS2 is hooked up to an HDTV right now, so I haven't tested it myself.
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

Arkhan Asylum

ELEMENTAL GEARBOLT MOTHERFKGRS
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TheClash603

I just beat Demolition Man on 3DO, partly cause this thread gave me the light gun itch.  It is a weird game cause it doesn't do anything really well, but I enjoy it a lot, maybe because I'm a fan of the source material.

ClodBusted

When playing via component cables (Y Pb Pr), set your PS2 / PS3 to Y Pb Pr via system menu and use one of the two adaptors bartre mentioned for your gun.

This is possible due to composite video- and Y-signals being assigned to separate pins 6 and 12 on the AV Multi Out. See also:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:playstationav

I had one of those generic third party PS2 SCART-cables with RGB functionality that had a separate composite video out (EDIT: Not to be confused with the cable from bartre's link, please see also this post). RGB Signal quality was GYARRBITCH, the same goes for third party S-Video cables, rather noisy. The official Sony adaptors and cables are built proper to spec and are shielded better.

SuperDeadite

Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

bartre

Quote from: guest on 08/07/2017, 05:31 AMI had one of those third party PS2 SCART-cables with RGB functionality that had a separate composite video out. RGB Signal quality was GYARRBITCH, the same goes for third party S-Video cables, rather noisy. The official Sony adaptors and cables are built proper to spec and are shielded better.
really?
I've not used one of those exact cables, but everything I've bought from those guys has been great.
wonder why?

Anyone played Dino Stalker on PS2?
It's supposedly a spinoff of Dino crisis.
the game is particularly interesting to me because you use the D-Pad on the Guncon to move around normally, a la FPS and then shoot on screen like a proper light gun game.
It's a more functional Resident Evil Survivor, basically

ClodBusted

Quote from: bartre on 08/07/2017, 09:08 AMreally?
I've not used one of those exact cables, but everything I've bought from those guys has been great.
wonder why?
I'm sorry, my bad. In my mind, I was referring to generic third party cables that you could buy in stores back in the day, as well as those that are usually available on Ebay, Amazon and others on the web.

That cable you've posted looks rather well manufactured and the detailed description about its innards is pretty convincing that this could be a quality product, indeed.

I'll add a note to my post that I wrote before, to avoid further confusion.

TDIRunner

Quote from: bartre on 08/07/2017, 09:08 AMAnyone played Dino Stalker on PS2?
It's supposedly a spinoff of Dino crisis.
the game is particularly interesting to me because you use the D-Pad on the Guncon to move around normally, a la FPS and then shoot on screen like a proper light gun game.
It's a more functional Resident Evil Survivor, basically
I have that game.  It was enjoyable, but ultimately I still prefer the more traditional light gun games.  When I'm playing a light gun game, I just want to shoot.  I don't want to do the other stuff (same reason whey I can't get into RE Survivor).
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

bartre

Quote from: guest on 08/07/2017, 09:28 AMI'm sorry, my bad. In my mind, I was referring to generic third party cables that you could buy in stores back in the day, as well as those that are usually available on Ebay, Amazon and others on the web.

That cable you've posted looks rather well manufactured and the detailed description about its innards is pretty convincing that this could be a quality product, indeed.
yeah, I get you now.
stuff like that is particularly important when it comes to RGB cables, people who are going that far tend to care more than your usual gamer

Quote from: TDIRunner on 08/07/2017, 10:18 AMI have that game.  It was enjoyable, but ultimately I still prefer the more traditional light gun games.  When I'm playing a light gun game, I just want to shoot.  I don't want to do the other stuff (same reason whey I can't get into RE Survivor). 
that sounds about right.
I just think it's fun cuz it's so different from most other light gun games.
don't get me wrong, as I love the arcadey titles like time crisis, but it's nice to have something different once in a while.

TDIRunner

Quote from: bartre on 08/07/2017, 02:10 PMthat sounds about right.
I just think it's fun cuz it's so different from most other light gun games.
don't get me wrong, as I love the arcadey titles like time crisis, but it's nice to have something different once in a while.
I love the idea of these games, but in practice it's too much for me.  RE Survivor is an amazing concept, but the thought of handling the traditional RE item management with the light gun controls gives me a headache.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

TDIRunner

I also love Typing of the Dead.  It's not a light gun game, but it is obviously based on one.  It's my favorite Dreamcast game. 

And speaking of Typing of the Dead, there is also Rock of the Dead for the PS3.  If you haven't heard of it, it's like Typing of the Dead, but using a Guitar Hero guitar instead of a keyboard.

xcrement5x

I really love the original House of the Dead on the Saturn, there have been a ton of different ports but the original there still is really fun in my opinion with the Stunner.  Virtua Cop never seems to get old as you can continue to hone your skills on it. 

The Genesis/MegaCD also had some nice entries as well, but again much of it has been ported at this point. 

Personally, I feel like the Guncon (and games for it) really was a turning point for light guns.  You could get so much better accuracy and some games (like the Point Blank series) are almost infinitely repayable. 

Oh, and as an aside I have always used the PS breakout box along with other output.  Until I got rid of my component Trinitron for a PVM I was using the breakout with component cables and never had playability issues. 

Psycho Punch

Quote from: TDIRunner on 08/07/2017, 02:14 PMI love the idea of these games, but in practice it's too much for me.  RE Survivor is an amazing concept, but the thought of handling the traditional RE item management with the light gun controls gives me a headache. 
There's no "inventory management", you have infinite item space, you pickup items by walking on them and you use keys / interact with objects/doors by walking into them. Puzzles are very easy and don't really qualify as puzzles, you'll usually be in a place with two doors, one is locked but has its key immediately behind the second, open door. The emphasis is on shooting, the adventure aspect is very thin.

It's a good lightgun shooter, not sure why people on the internet tend to bash it.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Psycho Punch

I wonder how viable would a homebrew gun be for the Turbo. The best solution is to probably do something like Operation Wolf and offer Cyberstick analog support, problem is that it's not the same thing and like 2 people have it.

Adapting a justifier (or even a Guncon???) to the PCE would be an interesting idea but it works CRT only...
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

TDIRunner

Quote from: guest on 08/07/2017, 04:04 PMThere's no "inventory management", you have infinite item space, you pickup items by walking on them and you use keys / interact with objects/doors by walking into them. Puzzles are very easy and don't really qualify as puzzles, you'll usually be in a place with two doors, one is locked but has its key immediately behind the second, open door. The emphasis is on shooting, the adventure aspect is very thin.

It's a good lightgun shooter, not sure why people on the internet tend to bash it.
Hmm.  I'm not sure what I'm confusing it with them.  I was certain it had the traditional inventory management that most RE games have.

TDIRunner

Quote from: TDIRunner on 08/07/2017, 04:40 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/07/2017, 04:04 PMThere's no "inventory management", you have infinite item space, you pickup items by walking on them and you use keys / interact with objects/doors by walking into them. Puzzles are very easy and don't really qualify as puzzles, you'll usually be in a place with two doors, one is locked but has its key immediately behind the second, open door. The emphasis is on shooting, the adventure aspect is very thin.

Hmm.  I'm not sure what I'm confusing it with them.  I was certain it had the traditional inventory management that most RE games have.
Does Dead Aim have an inventory management system?  I believe that's the game I was thinking about.

kitkit.com

+1. I love Typing of the Dead as well.  Can't beat the fun of typing some silly phases and cheesy voice acting actually adds to the fun. 

Quote from: TDIRunner on 08/07/2017, 02:16 PMI also love Typing of the Dead.  It's not a light gun game, but it is obviously based on one.  It's my favorite Dreamcast game. 

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/07/2017, 01:55 AMI just beat Demolition Man on 3DO, partly cause this thread gave me the light gun itch.  It is a weird game cause it doesn't do anything really well, but I enjoy it a lot, maybe because I'm a fan of the source material.
I don't have a light gun for 3DO and I am 99% I don't have any games that support it.

Hilarious, I thought I would have heard about a Demolition Man game...

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: esteban on 08/08/2017, 01:35 AM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/07/2017, 01:55 AMI just beat Demolition Man on 3DO, partly cause this thread gave me the light gun itch.  It is a weird game cause it doesn't do anything really well, but I enjoy it a lot, maybe because I'm a fan of the source material.
I don't have a light gun for 3DO and I am 99% I don't have any games that support it.

Wait til you hear about the 3 seashells.  Demolition Man on 3DO has a lot of clips filmed just for the game and Sly's delivery is legendary.

Did Project Horned Owl support a light gun?  I remember playing that game a lot growing up, but I never had a light gun so I used the controller.  I might revisit this one if PS1 guns are available on the cheap now.

SuperDeadite

Horned Owl was the first ps1 light-gun game.  In japan at least it was a boxed set with the justifier.  Die Hard 2 (Die Hard Trilogy) is damn good fun too.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

bartre

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 08/08/2017, 11:17 AMHorned Owl was the first ps1 light-gun game.  In japan at least it was a boxed set with the justifier.  Die Hard 2 (Die Hard Trilogy) is damn good fun too.
I thought you said Die Hard Trilogy 2 and I was gonna be very confused.
I need horned owl too....

xcrement5x

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/08/2017, 07:57 AM
Quote from: esteban on 08/08/2017, 01:35 AM

Wait til you hear about the 3 seashells.  Demolition Man on 3DO has a lot of clips filmed just for the game and Sly's delivery is legendary.
Interesting that they made material specifically for the game.  I really enjoy the movie so maybe I will have to give this one a whirl.

TheClash603

For some reason the run at 2:48 cracks me up.
This game over screen is some original recording too.

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/08/2017, 10:49 PM
For some reason the run at 2:48 cracks me up.
This game over screen is some original recording too.
The run is hilarious! Both shots (from the side side as well as towards camera) are solid gold.

roflmao

I have nothing useful to add. Bartre knows I have shit for guns, but it was a blast last time he was in my neck of the woods and we played a fair amount of gun games!

bartre

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2017, 12:44 AMI have nothing useful to add. Bartre knows I have shit for guns, but it was a blast last time he was in my neck of the woods and we played a fair amount of gun games!
Part of what brought this up :)

also, got my hands on a copy of Project Horned Owl while out of town.
looking forward to playing it :)

esteban

Quote from: bartre on 08/21/2017, 12:50 AM
Quote from: guest on 08/21/2017, 12:44 AMI have nothing useful to add. Bartre knows I have shit for guns, but it was a blast last time he was in my neck of the woods and we played a fair amount of gun games!
Part of what brought this up :)

also, got my hands on a copy of Project Horned Owl while out of town.
looking forward to playing it :)
"Horned Owl".... wasn't that the nickname of the protagonist from Virtual Cameraman? Or was it the sequel, Virtual Cameraman 2?