10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

SMS ports of Genny/MD games

Started by bob, 08/06/2017, 11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

I have been playing some more SMS lately.  Primarily the downscaled ports of popular genesis games and curious which ones people favor.  i absolutely love Dick Tracy and Castle of Illusion.  I also gave some time to E-Swat, which i found somewhat disappointing.

CrackTiger

The Mickey games are all good.

Wonderboy V is solid, but the short sword swing takes getting used to.

Ghouls 'n Ghosts is entertaining to see how they pulled it off and the shops are a nice edition.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

wildfruit

Sonic 1 and 2 are pretty good. I had them before I even tried sonic on a mega drive.

esteban

When I get a flashcart for SMS, I will check out these games...most of my SMS games are from the pre-Genesis era.

But then someone mentioned recently that I should just get a new-fangled SMS "powerbase" (with optional FM support added)  that some tech guru makes.

This sounds like a very awesome waygtonplay SMS (I always wanted to hear FM ...not sure what options I have with a first gen NA SMS hardware.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

bob

i have never played the sonic games on SMS.
i have heard they more methodical type of platformer rather than GO FAST.
people say they are bad because they are expecting the same experience as the genesis games

CrackTiger

I don't really enjoy 16-bit Sonic games, but I liked the 8-bit ones I've tried much more because they feature more legit platforming and less chaos.

All of the recordings I've heard from substitute Mark III FM sound have been off. I'd only buy a converter if it has the option to turn off the FM.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/06/2017, 05:40 PMAll of the recordings I've heard from substitute Mark III FM sound have been off. I'd only buy a converter if it has the option to turn off the FM.
Absolutely, I would want to compare the original chiptune vs. FM module ...

:)

ClodBusted

I played the SMS/GG version of Sonic 1 and 2 back in the day, while I had my first experience with the Genesis versions a decade later.

I like the 8 bit version of Sonic 1 a lot. Sonic 2 has a problem with very unforgiving collision detection when dealing with the first boss, luckily there's a level select cheat.

8 bit Castle of Illusion was OK for me, bit I liked Land of Illusion more.

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 08/06/2017, 05:40 PMI don't really enjoy 16-bit Sonic games, but I liked the 8-bit ones I've tried much more because they feature more legit platforming and less chaos.

All of the recordings I've heard from substitute Mark III FM sound have been off. I'd only buy a converter if it has the option to turn off the FM.
Genesis Sonic >>>> SMS Sonic.  Though I do like
Sonic Chaos the best of the SMS bunch.

Wait til you play Altered Beast on SMS, holy fuck is it bad.

csgx1

My friends and I used to play Altered Beast and Golden Axe on the SMS for hours back when released. 

Not recommended over the Genesis versions since they are definitely not as good and are watered down ports.  Being kids and having nothing else to play we got tons of enjoyment out of these two games.  Only able to play one player for either game and passing the controller around was kind of sad though.

Arkhan Asylum

I don't know, Altered Beast on SMS is goony, but it's kind of OK once you are used to it.   The Genesis one is a pain in the tits with cheesy collision sometimes, anyways.

Ecco on SMS was a great accomplishment, IMO.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TDIRunner

There is a ridiculous amount of Brazil exclusive SMS ports of Genesis games.  Earthworm Jim is one that comes to mind.  It definitely doesn't play as well a the 16 bit versions, but it's still fun if you have a flash cart to try it out.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

GohanX

I don't really like most of the ports, when I play them I just want to play the Genesis version instead. That said, the Sonic games aren't ports, they're new games, and they are mostly great. I particularly like the first game, it has some great tunes. Also, the SMS versions of these games are better than the GG versions due to increased resolution. That first boss of Sonic 2 is near impossible on the Game Gear and a piece of cake on SMS.

I always heard Castle of Illusion SMS was better than Genesis, but I've never played that one.

xcrement5x

Though drastically different from the arcade, Rastan is quite a fun SMS game if you spend some time with it.  It always boggled me that the original one didn't get a MD port, but the sequel did. 

wildfruit

Quote from: esteban on 08/06/2017, 03:18 PMWhen I get a flashcart for SMS, I will check out these games...most of my SMS games are from the pre-Genesis era.
Quote from: bob on 08/06/2017, 04:44 PMi have never played the sonic games on SMS.
You both must proceed at haste. Especially number 2 as it never reached the colonies. Riding a mine cart is fun.

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/07/2017, 04:44 PM
Quote from: esteban on 08/06/2017, 03:18 PMWhen I get a flashcart for SMS, I will check out these games...most of my SMS games are from the pre-Genesis era.
Quote from: bob on 08/06/2017, 04:44 PMi have never played the sonic games on SMS.
You both must proceed at haste. Especially number 2 as it never reached the colonies. Riding a mine cart is fun.
I know.... I am just slow... it's been years and years and I am slowly catching up with stuff :)

I have been thinking about the FM module for years now, too.

One of these days....

ClodBusted

Quote from: GohanX on 08/07/2017, 03:27 PMAlso, the SMS versions of these games are better than the GG versions due to increased resolution. That first boss of Sonic 2 is near impossible on the Game Gear and a piece of cake on SMS.
You're correct, I played the GG version. I didn't know the SMS version was easier, thanks!

TheClash603

I hated the hang glider in the SMS Sonic games so much when I played them.  It didn't seem to fit Sonic at all.

Anyone ever play Mortal Kombat on SMS?  I have considered buying them a bunch of times, but have never pulled the trigger.

LostFlunky

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/08/2017, 08:02 AMI hated the hang glider in the SMS Sonic games so much when I played them.  It didn't seem to fit Sonic at all.

Anyone ever play Mortal Kombat on SMS?  I have considered buying them a bunch of times, but have never pulled the trigger.
The music on MK for SMS is very painful on the ears.  The sprites are ok, but moves are very hard to pull off due to button shortage...

TDIRunner

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 08/08/2017, 08:56 AM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/08/2017, 08:02 AMI hated the hang glider in the SMS Sonic games so much when I played them.  It didn't seem to fit Sonic at all.

The music on MK for SMS is very painful on the ears.  The sprites are ok, but moves are very hard to pull off due to button shortage...
I agree.  I've played them on the Everdrive just because it sounded fun to play MK on SMS.  But I wouldn't recommend buying them unless you are a collector.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

GohanX

Quote from: guest on 08/08/2017, 02:40 AMYou're correct, I played the GG version. I didn't know the SMS version was easier, thanks!
The boss himself is pretty much identical, but there's so much extra screen that you can easily see the boulders coming and position Sonic where he needs to be to avoid them. I don't think I ever beat him on the Game Gear until after I had played the SMS version enough to have the boulder patterns memorized.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: esteban on 08/08/2017, 01:45 AMI know.... I am just slow... it's been years and years and I am slowly catching up with stuff :)

I have been thinking about the FM module for years now, too.
It's relatively cheap. The Master System was retired in favor of the Power Base Mini FM, saving me oh so much room. Be forewarned they don't play MS cards.

I'll also echo playing Sonic on the Master System instead of the Game Gear. The graphical benefits do not compare with the joy of playing these games on a real TV.

CrackTiger

But then someone mentioned recently that I should just get a new-fangled SMS "powerbase" (with optional FM support added)  that some tech guru makes.

This sounds like a very awesome waygtonplay SMS (I always wanted to hear FM ...not sure what options I have with a first gen NA SMS hardware.

The Mega Everdrive V2/X7 now emulates Mark III/SMS sound. So if you're going to buy something with simulated SMS FM sound, this would also play "every" SMS cart and card rom, along with Genesis and 32X games. Probably not much difference in price either.

DragonmasterDan

Back to the main topic. I kind of like 8-Bit Sonic 1 more than the 16-bit version. It has better music, a lot more exploring.
--DragonmasterDan

turboswimbz

Hmmm Sonic one on SMS added to the I really want to try this game list.

Thanks for the suggestion Dan. 

TO everyone else:  I've played the GG version of this when I was little and greatly enjoyed it.  Is the SMS version much different in terms of levels?
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/08/2017, 09:29 PMHmmm Sonic one on SMS added to the I really want to try this game list.

Thanks for the suggestion Dan. 

TO everyone else:  I've played the GG version of this when I was little and greatly enjoyed it.  Is the SMS version much different in terms of levels?
Same levels, the sprite of Sonic is a bit smaller as the GG version compensates for the lower res on the GG screen.
--DragonmasterDan

sirhcman

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/08/2017, 05:50 PMBack to the main topic. I kind of like 8-Bit Sonic 1 more than the 16-bit version. It has better music, a lot more exploring.
I totally agree. This is my preferred Sonic 1 experience!

bob

aside from the sonic discussion, any others (going back to original question).
Isn't there a strider port?  Never tried that one either (obviously, if I am asking if it even exists).

I'm not a fan of the ghosts/ghouls n goblins series overall, so I would skip that one.

Did moonwalker have a port too?

CrackTiger

Yeah, there's lots more. Moonwalker, Strider, E-Swat, Gain Ground, Forgotten Worlds, Dynamite Duke, Dynamite Heady, Mercs, Robocop VS Terminator, Alien3, Alien Storm, Chuck Rocks, Cool Spot, Wolfchild, Aladdin, Jungle Book, Lion King...

Even when there is an otiginal version, like a game made for arcades, SMS versions tend to be based on Genesis versions.

Psycho Punch

Strider on the SMS sucks, run away from it, it was programmed by US Gold instead of SEGA and it plays as well as you imagine (it's a worse version of Strider Returns... lmao)
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

CrackTiger

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 08/09/2017, 11:07 AMStrider on the SMS sucks, run away from it, it was programmed by US Gold instead of SEGA and it plays as well as you imagine (it's a worse version of Strider Returns... lmao)
Strider Returns was also ported to SMS. :P