RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Instant Regrets

Started by Medic_wheat, 11/27/2017, 09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

Ever buy something and have instant buyers remorse?

Only you are unable to return saiid item and stuck with it?

If so please share your story.

I don't have an example to share at the moment. However I am sure I have at lest a few stories.

crazydean

I have had buyers remorse from Craigslist purchases a few times. Typically because of condition.

I bought a PS3 super slim for like $60. The guy handed it to me in a plastic bag. I didn't realize it until my drive home but it smelled so bad with cigarettes that I had to roll the windows down in my car. I started cleaning it as soon as I got home. It almost went in the trash like 50 times. Also, I didn't realize that there was a version without a HDD. Anyway, I made it work and I'm happy with it now. Although, I wouldn't do it again.

HuMan

Bought a vintage Thinkpad laptop off eBay, didn't realize the screen was busted, no returns. It lacked a CD drive but still had a hard drive and even a battery. I made the best of things by surgically removing the LCD case and putting Windows 95c on the hard drive with some software, it's quite a decent keyboard computer now. Until I can one day find a compatible CD drive, a USB one works ok with the unofficial USB stack driver for Windows 95.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: crazydean on 11/27/2017, 10:06 PMI have had buyers remorse from Craigslist purchases a few times. Typically because of condition.

I bought a PS3 super slim for like $60. The guy handed it to me in a plastic bag. I didn't realize it until my drive home but it smelled so bad with cigarettes that I had to roll the windows down in my car. I started cleaning it as soon as I got home. It almost went in the trash like 50 times. Also, I didn't realize that there was a version without a HDD. Anyway, I made it work and I'm happy with it now. Although, I wouldn't do it again.
There was a PS3 without an HDD??  Are you sure?  I thought the lowest it went was 20Gigs.  I know the 360 had one, came with a 20 MB card or something for saves.
IMG

NecroPhile

There's a 12gb super slim.  All flash no hdd.

I can't think of any instant regrets.  I'm a cheap ass, so I usually think about purchases for a bit before pulling the trigger; if anything, I end up regretting waiting too long and missing out on a good deal.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TDIRunner

The 12 GB flash PS3 still has the space to add an HDD later.  However, it's my understanding that if you format an HDD in that model, you will lose the 12 GB of flash memory.  I remember thinking that the only reason I could come up with for someone buying that unit was they had a non working PS3 with a salvageable HDD that they wanted to transfer over.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

TDIRunner

Quote from: crazydean on 11/27/2017, 10:06 PMI have had buyers remorse from Craigslist purchases a few times. Typically because of condition.

That happened to me once.  I met the guy outside and the smell wasn't as noticeable.  However, on the way home, I really started to notice it.  I never could completely get the smell out and I resold everything with the smoke smell fully disclosed.  They guy who bought it from me didn't care.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Arkhan Asylum

I regret nothing.

BUY EVERYTHINGGGGGGGG
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NoSexGex

Can't think of anything that's given me buyers remorse. Sellers remorse would be the big one for most people I would think. Which I'm sure everyone has experienced.
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

PunkCryborg

I regretted buying my first house and my motorcycle back in the day but in the end I sold the house for a better house and sold the bike for candy cabs and couldn't be happier now

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 11/28/2017, 09:51 AMThere's a 12gb super slim.  All flash no hdd.

I can't think of any instant regrets.  I'm a cheap ass, so I usually think about purchases for a bit before pulling the trigger; if anything, I end up regretting waiting too long and missing out on a good deal.
This is what typically happens to me as well.

xcrement5x

Hmm, I bought Brandish for the SNES at kind of a premium for the time and really regretted it, but the game is still fun and I'm happy I have it because Falcom is badass. 

Normally I'm good about CL pickups, if anything I am pickier because people are horrible.  There are times I've had stuff misrepresented and I'm not afraid to just walk away from it or try and haggle more.  Sucks because we both wasted time but I'm not gonna be intimidate by someone to buy their crap, hopefully they learn to actually take a picture and not use stock photos in the future.

Psycho Punch

Nothing really, just want to tell how surprised I am to learn that there's a 16GB flash PS3, when 90% of the games just dump the entire disc to the HDD to be playable.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 11/28/2017, 04:44 PMNothing really, just want to tell how surprised I am to learn that there's a 16GB flash PS3, when 90% of the games just dump the entire disc to the HDD to be playable.
Yeah...the first game I bought was the Bioshock collection which requires you to download the game. The first one fit but not the second. So, it was unplayable until I bought a HDD. However, I bought a 320GB from a local repair shop for like $20 and the mounting bracket off eBay for another $2.

SignOfZeta

You know that Nike site that lets you design your own shoes (Nike Free). It's a great way to end up with a really tacky pair of slightly better than flip flop crapola and lose like $150.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I recall buying Talespin for Turbob BITD when it arrived at TRU.  Rode my bike all the way there, got my ticket, purchased it for $60, went to the secure area where you pick up your game from a man in a cage.  Rode my bike home.  Popped it in my Obey, & felt regret within minutes.  Same goes for It Came from the Desert, rode my bike to TRU & everything.

Had a similar experience with Impossamole.  A friend & I rode our bikes to the Oaks Mall, locked up our bikes somewhere(I assume), went to Babbages, paid $50 I think.  Rode our bikes back to his house, played each level, got super pissed at the hit box detection, especially in the Iceland & Amazon levels. Probably threw a controller at a wall or a dog or something.  Went swimming in his doughboy, cooled down, talked it over, & decided to give it another go.  Ended up beating those levels eventually.

With that said, I actually came to appreciate all 3 of those games in there own special way, especially Impossamole.

Now, Darkwing Duck on the other hand..... I think my mom took me to the mall, picked up that trash at Babbage's.  Had seen reviews on it, but told myself it couldn't be that bad! Paid my pound of flesh & went on my way.  Returned it the next day & got Shockman instead.  I really can't say I've ever appreciated DD, with exception to some of the neat paralax, & the infamous magnifying glass.
IMG

majors

Gaming-wise...my purchase of Xenophobe on the NES was regret about a minute after I started playing. Such a fan of the arcade...but Sunsoft did me wrong that day. I'm sure other games I bought that left a bad taste in my mouth(not counting Switch games) but I learned to trade off or return to the store early on.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

ClodBusted

Halo 3, because I didn't liked the spoken narration in the German version, and there was no way to change it to English (neither in game nor via system settings). Sold it instantly the same week I got it, luckily it wasn't a full price game anymore at the time.

Medic_wheat

I have been there where you buy a game and hate it.

With modern things like game play videos and what not it's almost impossible not to have a clear idea of what a game is before purchasing it.

That doesn't stil mean I haven't picked up a stinker and regrets having bought it at full price for the rare times I buy a game new.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 11/29/2017, 10:26 AMHalo 3, because I didn't liked the spoken narration in the German version, and there was no way to change it to English (neither in game nor via system settings). Sold it instantly the same week I got it, luckily it wasn't a full price game anymore at the time.
Oh, that reminds me. I bought Gundam Breaker and liked it a lot. I first bought the Asia version to save $5.

Then when Gundam Breaker 2 came out I again ordered the Asia version so I could continue my save and guess what? This time they actually bothered to translate the game into Chinese. Great for actual Asia territory people but not for me since I can't read Chinese and names of Gundam and parts and whatever are almost never written in kanji so the game became a lot more time consuming to play. In the end I sorta lost interest in the game and I'm pretty sure I would have played it a lot more if I could have read it.
IMG

CrackTiger

I bought Loom when it came out, because it is a CD game. I couldn't believe how little they touched up/improved over the 16 color computer version and it was very buggy, randomly glitching, crashing and losing game saves. I exchanged it as defective for Air Zonk and didn't regret it.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Psycho Punch

Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/29/2017, 11:52 AMI bought Loom when it came out, because it is a CD game. I couldn't believe how little they touched up/improved over the 16 color computer version and it was very buggy, randomly glitching, crashing and losing game saves. I exchanged it as defective for Air Zonk and didn't regret it.
I heard it was a mix of the 16 and 256 color versions of the game. Didn't knew it was that buggy, who programmed it? Was it a Hudson Soft port?
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

SignOfZeta

I have that game and I agree. It looks so much like IBM software I can heard Alps keys switching whenever I play it.
IMG

NecroPhile

It could've been better, but Loom still looks nice.  I don't recall such buggy problems; did they do a second fixed pressing?  Maybe I've just been lucky... or rose colored glasses.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 11/28/2017, 04:44 PMNothing really, just want to tell how surprised I am to learn that there's a 16GB flash PS3, when 90% of the games just dump the entire disc to the HDD to be playable.
I got me one of those and took the panel off and put a 600gb HDD in it for like 20$.

They say you need a harness to hold it in, but what you really need is a folded up piece of cardboard to keep the drive level since the connector is on top, so without it, you end up with a drive like  \   , and it breaks the connector.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

seieienbu

Beyond the Beyond springs instantly to mind.  I assumed it was going to be a super tight RPG on my brand new playstation zomg!  Instead it was likely the most bland RPG I ever bought.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SignOfZeta

No kidding. After about two dumptrucks full of great RPGs for the PCE and SNES early 32-bit was some slim pickings. Amazingly, Saturn was seen as more of an RPG machine for the first year or so.

Of course eventually the PS got more RPGs than PCE and SNES combined but in 1995 it was like the valve had been shut off. It sucked.

"Oh, you liked Star Ocean and Langrisser? Here's Beyond the Beyond. It's like Cosmic Fantasy with all the cut scenes taken out. Have fun!"
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

I have a strange love for Beyond the Beyond I think mainly because of a few of the songs being stuck in my head forever, and I liked Lorele, and the overall presentation of the battle segments.   

but yeah the rest of that game is pretty stupid.  the character portraits were like deviantart hall of fame looking, and some of the dungeons were shit.

but I liked this song!:
https://youtu.be/JrJoLYFsCYQ

I didn't play it until like 1998 or so, after I had played FF7, and I kept expecting 3D but it never happened.

Wild Arms and Azure Dreams were better times for sure.

and Breath of Fire 3 jesusfuckthatgamewasawesome

Arkhan Asylum

YOU KNOW WHAT THATS A REGRET

I traded BOF3 in to get a goddamn Dreamcast keyboard to play PSO .

Fuck was that stupid of me.

I lucked out and found a copy of it again for about 15$, which is what I paid for my used copy years ago, so it's a wash.

but holy shit, that almost could've sucked.

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 11/29/2017, 07:34 PMYOU KNOW WHAT THATS A REGRET

I traded BOF3 in to get a goddamn Dreamcast keyboard to play PSO .

Fuck was that stupid of me.

I lucked out and found a copy of it again for about 15$, which is what I paid for my used copy years ago, so it's a wash.

but holy shit, that almost could've sucked.
But now you can play Typing of the Dead!

Arkhan Asylum

yea and I can play PSO by myself and send Dreamcast Emojis to all the NPCs

mitsuman

I think I've had more seller's remorse than buyer's remorse.

Every time I sell a Duo, I regret, only to be back a little later looking to get another one.

crazydean

Quote from: Bornist on 11/30/2017, 11:05 AM.
I'm not sure what you're getting at with your quote, but the last thing I need is more arousal.

OldRover

I bought Musya on the SNES and was regretting it in the first 2 minutes. Total garbage.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Bornist on 11/30/2017, 11:05 AMI think I've had more seller's remorse than buyer's remorse.

Every time I sell a Duo, I regret, only to be back a little later looking to get another one.
Congratulations, you're the Morrissey of gaming.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/30/2017, 09:31 PM
Quote from: Bornist on 11/30/2017, 11:05 AMI think I've had more seller's remorse than buyer's remorse.

lol

PukeSter

Assassin's Creed Unity. What a boring and sluggish game. Not all the bugs were fixed either, I got it many months after launch and my game still crashed twice. The only good part was the DLC story expansion, packaged in for free because the game is so bleh.

Mario 3D Land was also incredibly bland and boring. I'm amazed at the jump in quality with 3D World.

LostFlunky

Hilarious - I have been listening to the Smiths all morning - then I read this...

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 12/01/2017, 12:09 PM

Hilarious - I have been listening to the Smiths all morning - then I read this...

CrackTiger

Grolt helped me remember the only other time I returned a game because it was such a let down (and it wasn't defective).

I bought Cosmic Carnage partly because it was an original game and judging by what mags said and the fact that it was only a 2D game, I assumed that the scaling limbs must be silky smooth and that it would be a truly unique next gen fighting game.

I wouldn't have believe you beforehand if you told me that they shipped such a choppy chugging mess. Even with that, what killed it was how unenjoyable it was to play.

I still can't believe that they let me exchange it for Space Harrier 32X, which was a lot of fun and really felt like a powerful game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SuperGrafx

I dabbled in Neo Geo stuff back in the day.
In most cases, I always had a sense of regret right after I opened the shipping container to my latest acquisition.

esadajr

Quote from: TDIRunner on 11/28/2017, 11:39 AMThe 12 GB flash PS3 still has the space to add an HDD later.  However, it's my understanding that if you format an HDD in that model, you will lose the 12 GB of flash memory.  I remember thinking that the only reason I could come up with for someone buying that unit was they had a non working PS3 with a salvageable HDD that they wanted to transfer over.
Or a HDD from a dead laptop laying around  :wink:
Gaming since 1985

Flare65

I'll give one from the past and one for the present...

Back in the day I bought Phantasy Star 3 the day it came out for the Genesis.  I never played the first two PS games and everyone raved about them, so I splurged on the 3rd one.  Even bought the strategy guide with it so the whole purchase was about 80.00 back then.  The game was a stinker and I think everyone agrees that its the weakest title in the series.  Game was very disappointing.

Recently I bought Splatoon 2 for the Switch.  This game screams for mouse and keyboard controls.  The motion controls are just a gimmick to me.  I dumped this one on craigslist for the same price I paid for it.

turboswimbz

Never had buyers remorse, I weigh things carefully before buying.  There have been many things I have been disappointing in after getting though, most notably was magic the gathering online, I hated the interface so much that I never ended up utilizing near as much as I thought I was going to.   

But I do have instant regrets about saying something in the heat of a moment, or when I mess something up at work.  these are things that at least in the embarrassment of the time, I wish I could take back.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

cr8zykuban0

probably recent regret was the xbox one.

sure it was a cool system at first and there were a few games i was stoked for but most of em got a ps4, switch release and one of them got a physical version in the form of a downloadable voucher in a game case. In my opinion, not a lot of games that im into at all. Such a let down so i sold it to buy a switch

Medic_wheat

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 12/05/2017, 10:52 PMprobably recent regret was the xbox one.

sure it was a cool system at first and there were a few games i was stoked for but most of em got a ps4, switch release and one of them got a physical version in the form of a downloadable voucher in a game case. In my opinion, not a lot of games that im into at all. Such a let down so i sold it to buy a switch
Are you talking about cuphead? 

I feel it will get a Indy physical release. Maybe once it is multi platform. When the cone exclusivity rights end.

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/05/2017, 11:12 PM
Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 12/05/2017, 10:52 PMprobably recent regret was the xbox one.

Are you talking about cuphead? 

I feel it will get a Indy physical release. Maybe once it is multi platform. When the cone exclusivity rights end.
yes sir! I really want to play it and i also feel like it will get a multi platform release eventually. Aside from that, there were only 2 games that i played. Im pretty disappointed with the system and glad i sold it

esteban

I bought

Deep Blue

...and...

Bravoman

back in the day...

Instantly realized I was stoopid.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

in99flames

My credit card statement reminds me every day of purchases i regret :-)
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)