RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Super NT

Started by KnightWarrior, 02/09/2018, 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDIRunner

Quote from: schweaty on 02/20/2018, 02:41 PMIm almost at the conclusion that the most economical solution is just stick with a tv that was around when the console was still in stores (probably towards the end of the console's life or just after).  For me, this means 3 TVs
I know exactly what you mean, and at one time, I actually had 3 different TVs for that purpose, although only 2 were ever hooked up at once.  Unfortunately, I simply can't justify the space for that much stuff, so I got rid of one of the TVs and I've been using my 2 TV setup ever since. 

Sometimes I wish I had the room for the third TV, and sometimes I wish for the simplicity of having only 1 TV.  It just depends on my mood, but more often than not, I'm happy with the 2 that I have. 
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

crazydean

Yes, 3 TVs seems to be the ideal setup for now. However, even if everything was on a single TV, you still have like 10 systems in your living room.

CrackTiger

I have a laptop hooked to the hdtv in our living room. It plays everything we watch and is setup with many libraries of classic games. It also plays real PC Engine CD games. It can use much better controllers than SNES without adaptors or or mods or anything. It comes with us on trips and is convenient and portable. I paid as much as a Super Nt shipped for it several years ago.

It doesn't get relegated to crts either, but it sure would be nice if it could connect to one.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

schweaty

Quote from: crazydean on 02/20/2018, 05:19 PMYes, 3 TVs seems to be the ideal setup for now. However, even if everything was on a single TV, you still have like 10 systems in your living room.
It would be 16 for me but I could make it work since it's mostly HDMI and like 6 component.  If my OLED didn't turn 240p into chocolate mess I may have given it a shot.  I didn't even try 480p.

crazydean

Quote from: schweaty on 02/20/2018, 07:18 PM
Quote from: crazydean on 02/20/2018, 05:19 PMYes, 3 TVs seems to be the ideal setup for now. However, even if everything was on a single TV, you still have like 10 systems in your living room.
It would be 16 for me but I could make it work since it's mostly HDMI and like 6 component.  If my OLED didn't turn 240p into chocolate mess I may have given it a shot.  I didn't even try 480p.
I guess some people don't really mind, but I don't want 16 systems in my living room. People who aren't gamers tend to think 16 is a lot. Also, when I have to buy a stand to put all of this stuff on and set it next to the TV, the wife isn't going to like that.

I'm hoping that one day, someone will combine a few of these consoles. Something like a Retron 5, but with FPGA instead of emulation would be great.

Also, for me, it'd be 11 systems.

SignOfZeta

You can't actually play 16 consoles. You can display them and impress the easily impressed but you aren't playing them. Just keeping them dusted is hard enough. I don't see where the urge comes to make your living room look like a flop house for 7-11 employees where they all have to fight for the same screen.

Think of what it would mean to actually play all of these systems at least once in a month, the practical reality of that. When do you find 3DO times, when the PS3 is updating? It's nonsense. A front.

Besides, real OGs know the coolest shit goes in the other direction, a setup totally dedicated to one single game. Like a Tron machine or someone's $3000 Logitech racing setup. "I have fifteen systems collecting dust right now because I can only play them one at a time." is just YouTube era wankery.
IMG

schweaty

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/21/2018, 10:40 AMYou can't actually play 16 consoles. You can display them and impress the easily impressed but you aren't playing them. Just keeping them dusted is hard enough. I don't see where the urge comes to make your living room look like a flop house for 7-11 employees where they all have to fight for the same screen.

Think of what it would mean to actually play all of these systems at least once in a month, the practical reality of that. When do you find 3DO times, when the PS3 is updating? It's nonsense. A front.

Besides, real OGs know the coolest shit goes in the other direction, a setup totally dedicated to one single game. Like a Tron machine or someone's $3000 Logitech racing setup. "I have fifteen systems collecting dust right now because I can only play them one at a time." is just YouTube era wankery.
Just to clear a few things up here, the consoles are not in my living room.  The wife would never let that happen.  She barely tolerates them all tucked way back in another room in the house where no one ever sees them.  And for the record, I don't have a 3DO or a YouTube channel.

For me, it's just a space saving thing.  All my consoles are connected all the time.  I can turn on the tv and press power on any console when the mood strikes.  I can't stand it when people say they leave their consoles on shelves and hook them up when they need them.  Bullshit.  Those consoles get played once a year at the most.

Arcade machines are awesome.  John's Arcade is probably my favorite YT channel.  I even have a Street Fighter II Dynamo HS-5 cab.  But they are also huuuuge and heavy.  For a guy who moves every 3 years, having a bunch of dedicated machines isn't going to happen. 

Im a fan of original hardware.  Sure I could have a raspberry pi with every game up to the year 2000 on it, but I just know I would never actually play it.

SignOfZeta

My consoles may stay packed up for months at a time but when I get them out they get played every day for weeks. The older you get the more consoles you accumulate and the less time each one gets in your day to the point where it becomes *extremely* unlikely that all of them will be used in less time than it takes for them to accumulate dust.

I learned all of this from experience back when I had like four consoles. By the time I've finished FFVI or gotten bored of a specific version of Street Fighter the unused systems looked it.

I mean, come on, you're only using 1/16 of your system at any given time. You litterally have 16x what you can use. How huge is your SUV?

FYI: I don't count my consoles but 16 sounds about right.
IMG

CrackTiger

If you're a fan of real hardware, then why are you using an Nt?

I understand that it's a luxurious gimmicky kind of thing that no one really "needs" to have. I have lots of superfluous game items myself. But people keep justifying it publicly with extreme reasons of either "real hardware is too inconvenient" or "I don't care about convenience".

Instead of saying nothing at all or simply "it's one more neat thing for me to blow money on". In other collector centric forums, lots of people brag about how many color variants of this thing they're going to collect.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

schweaty

Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/21/2018, 11:50 AMIf you're a fan of real hardware, then why are you using an Nt?

Im also a picture quality whore.   I did the Hi Def NES mod and it's phenomenal.  When I heard this was coming at an economical price point (IMO) I knew I would get it.  This is the only "clone" system I have but for me, it's similar to the Everdrive in that it's an elegant form of emulation.  Been playing it almost exclusively since it arrived.

Zeta's right about these things just accumulating.  I never thought I would end up with all these systems.  I never planned to get them and I keep saying that's the last one. 

jtucci31

Quote from: guest on 02/20/2018, 06:25 PMI have a laptop hooked to the hdtv in our living room. It plays everything we watch and is setup with many libraries of classic games. It also plays real PC Engine CD games. It can use much better controllers than SNES without adaptors or or mods or anything. It comes with us on trips and is convenient and portable. I paid as much as a Super Nt shipped for it several years ago.

It doesn't get relegated to crts either, but it sure would be nice if it could connect to one.
I was just asking this in the chat, but what kind of controllers/adapters do you use when emulating on a laptop? I'm starting to realize that I won't always be able to carry CRTs with me (have been without one for months now so I haven't played any retro games in awhile) and it would just be more practical for me to move the way of roms on a laptop.

I've been looking at something like the 8bitdo snes pad, but I'm also pretty neutral on that pad in general.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/21/2018, 11:41 AMMy consoles may stay packed up for months at a time but when I get them out they get played every day for weeks. The older you get the more consoles you accumulate and the less time each one gets in your day to the point where it becomes *extremely* unlikely that all of them will be used in less time than it takes for them to accumulate dust.
I've also been finding how completely unnecessary it is to try to have everything hooked up all the time. Pretty soon I'd like to invest in some plastic tubs to store my shit in so that it's safe and relatively easy to access when I do get the itch to play Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch on Sega CD for 20 minutes and then throw back in a box.

SignOfZeta

In the 70s people used to store their system (their only system) every night.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2018, 12:24 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/20/2018, 06:25 PMI have a laptop hooked to the hdtv in our living room. It plays everything we watch and is setup with many libraries of classic games. It also plays real PC Engine CD games. It can use much better controllers than SNES without adaptors or or mods or anything. It comes with us on trips and is convenient and portable. I paid as much as a Super Nt shipped for it several years ago.

I was just asking this in the chat, but what kind of controllers/adapters do you use when emulating on a laptop? I'm starting to realize that I won't always be able to carry CRTs with me (have been without one for months now so I haven't played any retro games in awhile) and it would just be more practical for me to move the way of roms on a laptop.

I've been looking at something like the 8bitdo snes pad, but I'm also pretty neutral on that pad in general.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/21/2018, 11:41 AMMy consoles may stay packed up for months at a time but when I get them out they get played every day for weeks. The older you get the more consoles you accumulate and the less time each one gets in your day to the point where it becomes *extremely* unlikely that all of them will be used in less time than it takes for them to accumulate dust.
I've also been finding how completely unnecessary it is to try to have everything hooked up all the time. Pretty soon I'd like to invest in some plastic tubs to store my shit in so that it's safe and relatively easy to access when I do get the itch to play Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch on Sega CD for 20 minutes and then throw back in a box.
I use usb Saturn pads on computers. I don't trust wireless pads of any kind for playing 2D games with realtime gameplay (ie: not RPGs, war sims, etc).

A little "netbook" (if they're still a thing) would probably handle emulation just fine.

It still shocks me every time I read comments in threads like this of people talking about spending lots of money to "minimize" input lag and playing games with either dropped frames or compromised speed. I accept the imperfections of emulation and it's a worthwhile compromise. I'd hate to get to the point where I'm used to anti-twitch gameplay and going back to trying a real arcade machine or console is difficult because I'm conditioned to offest my inputs.

It's also weird how so many people for so long now have said that they are prematurely ditching crts because "they won't be around forever" or are getting harder to find. It makes sense when people only have room in their home for a single TV or something. But not waiting until you have to and investing in a bunch of soon to be outdated mods and connections is only wasting a lot of mobey for the privelage of a compromised experience. Using external upscalers/converters is the only way to futureproof real console hardware.

seieienbu

As far as old game setups go, I also don't see the point of leaving everything hooked up.  I leave my Turbo Duo and my Genesis at my TV all the time.  They tend to get the most use.  The Genesis is a model 1 with a 32X that I just leave there because my scart cable is for a model 2 and I'm too lazy/cheap to buy a second one.  I have the Sega CD there as well because I'm fearful that if I let that thing just sit out it will die a decrepit death after not being played for more than a couple of months.  Frequently there's a SNES or a NES there or occasionally something else but those get swapped out with some frequency.

I don't feel the need to leave something like my Jaguar set up ever.  If I want to play Tempest 2000 or whatever then I'll pull it out of the closet.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

CrackTiger

Growing up no one had a game console hooked to a TV permanently. Many families even kept their VCRs stored away until use.

Other than freaks like me, only the richest kids had their own TVs until the 16-bit generation and even then it wasn't common.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2018, 04:19 PMGrowing up no one had a game console hooked to a TV permanently. Many families even kept their VCRs stored away until use.

Other than freaks like me, only the richest kids had their own TVs until the 16-bit generation and even then it wasn't common.
I had my own tv in my room at the age of 12.

Granted it was a old Sony tv maybe 12 inch screen. With knobs for the Chanel's and volume. Granted the knobs fell off the channel and I used a pair of pliers.

And it only took rf.

It it was my tv gosh darn it.

CZroe

Quote from: schweaty on 02/21/2018, 12:06 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/21/2018, 11:50 AMIf you're a fan of real hardware, then why are you using an Nt?

Im also a picture quality whore.   I did the Hi Def NES mod and it's phenomenal.  When I heard this was coming at an economical price point (IMO) I knew I would get it.  This is the only "clone" system I have but for me, it's similar to the Everdrive in that it's an elegant form of emulation.  Been playing it almost exclusively since it arrived.

Zeta's right about these things just accumulating.  I never thought I would end up with all these systems.  I never planned to get them and I keep saying that's the last one. 
When are you getting your 3DO?

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/21/2018, 04:58 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/21/2018, 04:19 PMGrowing up no one had a game console hooked to a TV permanently. Many families even kept their VCRs stored away until use.

I had my own tv in my room at the age of 12.

Granted it was a old Sony tv maybe 12 inch screen. With knobs for the Chanel's and volume. Granted the knobs fell off the channel and I used a pair of pliers.

And it only took rf.

It it was my tv gosh darn it.
Mine was black and white. Played NES, Atari, and some SNES that way before finding a color TV that lasted a few months. The. It was back to the K-Mart brand B&W set (rebranded Samsung) until 1994 when I got a color TV from an old hospital (electrically controllers dial for changing channels).

Actually, that B&W TV was my family's only TV but my mom didn't watch TV so it was essentially mine... and my twin brother's.

Medic_wheat

You are a twin as well?

Neat o

I have a twin sister.

It's 36 years later and she still thinks she is the boss. Even though she is the "younger" sister.

CZroe

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/21/2018, 06:46 PMYou are a twin as well?

Neat o

I have a twin sister.

It's 36 years later and she still thinks she is the boss. Even though she is the "younger" sister.
YUP. Still argue with my brother daily. :)

Shared hobby means shared collection for us. Is your sister a gamer?

Purple1308

I wish more systems were designed on this base of FPGAs

TheClash603

I do random game night twice a month.  All my games are in a database, I hit the random button, and play whatever comes up.  If I have people over, we turn this into a scored competition.  Did you know Molly Hatchet performs the title song to NASCAR 98?  My friends and I do, because it was the final game of our random game night challenge last week.

If I had to get all my systems out of a box every time we played a new game, that would be awful.  Sure, most people don't do random game night challenges, but most people don't know how much fun it is either.

...plus, now I know I could kick all your asses in NASCAR 98.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: CZroe on 02/21/2018, 07:59 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/21/2018, 06:46 PMYou are a twin as well?

Neat o

I have a twin sister.

YUP. Still argue with my brother daily. :)

Shared hobby means shared collection for us. Is your sister a gamer?
No.

She use to hang with the NES through N64.

But these days she is a mother wife and shook librayan.

She use to do a web comic in be late 90s early 2000s all anime slash furry like.

Use to be into anime.

But these days she doesn't keep up in any of that.

I bought her the entire Ranma 1/2 on burst for Christmas and her only comment was. Oh. I watch it on Hulu. Sigh