Bonk 3 Comfy Discussion Thread

Started by PukeSter, 09/03/2016, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PukeSter

I swear, every thread about this game on here has to do with the cost, or reproductions.

Let's talk about the game itself. I'm interested to hear everyone's perspectives. I know NecroPhile is a big fan of Bonk 3.

I know the music is pretty poor overall, but the final stage tune is incredible. The jungle tune is decent.

The graphical quality seems to fluctuate between decent and poor. The ugliest level is the city level. The prettiest level is the colosseum level.

Enemy variety is the best in the entire series, SNES games included.

Level design is pretty excellent overall. A bit different style than Bonk 2, but I like it. Some of my favorite level designs are 1-2 Cave and the jungle levels.

One change I like over Bonk 2, is that meats seem to be a bit more prevalent. Juggling enemies is fun too.

The final boss fight is pretty well done, I think it's the best out of all the 16-bit Bonk games.

Dicer

Bonk=/=Bonk2>>>>>Bonk3

Also, Air Zonk>>>>>>>>Air Zonk hillbilly lackluster CD

Idk, Bonk I and II are both solid, then the whole thing falls apart from there, Idk if it was different teams or what have you but the later entries just feel gross (snes included) something was lost.

Bonk3 has it's moments,but it never touches the original or revenge.

Just my .02 on the matter.

Otaking

I really like PC Genjin 3, the best thing about it is the 2 player.
I have a lot of nostalgia for it as I remember when it was released the PC Engine HuCards releases had slowed right down and I remember being excited to get it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

jtucci31

I really enjoyed the game when I played it. Some tunes were really good, others were not. It was an even balance of good/bad music making it mediocre to me.

I loved the tube stuff and watching little bonk fly all over the place. Big bonk was fun to use too. The mixture of both played for some fun times and level exploration. Much of (though not all) the level design is pretty good.

I also love the artwork on the JP hucard/cover. All of the JP Bonk artwork is way better than the US imo. That's why I switched over :)

Psycho Punch

Quote from: PukeSter on 09/03/2016, 02:50 PMI swear, every thread about this game on here has to do with the cost, or reproductions.
You mean people actually PLAY with their collectibles? What is this nonsense? :lol:
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Joe Redifer

Bonk 3 is OK. I think by the time Bonk 3 (or PC Genjin 3 for the weeaboos) came around, the world had grown tired of Bonk. That includes the developers. I thought it was cool turning big and small the first couple of times I did it but after that It was an annoying feature. Besides giant Bonk, the game offered no progression in graphical technology. The music in the HuCard version is better than the CD version. There is also more animation in the HuCard versio due to the severe limitations of the Super CD-ROM technology. This is why Nintendo stuck with carts on the N64, people.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/03/2016, 07:07 PMThis is why Nintendo stuck with carts on the N64, people.
Ironically this time the carts were very limited instead of the Playstation/Saturn CDROMs.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Otaking

Quote from: Otaking on 09/03/2016, 03:51 PMI really like PC Genjin 3,
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/03/2016, 07:07 PMBonk 3 (or PC Genjin 3 for the weeaboos)
Back then I was a huge, huge weeaboo, but I think I can get away with it as I became one 25 plus years before the name had been invented  :P . Back then in the UK people were like "WTF?? you're really in to Japanese culture and cartoons??? how bizarre that's the most random shit ever".
Also our experience in the UK of NEC consoles/games was importing the PC Engine from Japan. US Turbografx imports were extremely rare here. So when I think back to that time it's PC Genjin 3 not Bonk 3.  :D 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

exodus

I think the level design is uninspired, too reliant on gimmicks and mazes. the two player is nice, but you can accidentally kill each other by keeping the screen in one area... it just doesn't feel as cohesive as the prior two games.

esteban

Ok, so I only completed this game on the Wii with my daughter.

In the past, I had a chance to occasionally play it on PCE (fellow enthusiasts) and I always dismissed it (I wanted to try out other games). This was not a fair way to judge Bonk 3... but for 15 years I simply thought it was "OK"... Again, based on my lack of enthusiasm for it relative to other games (like Soldier Blade), and not for any particular problem with Bonk 3 itself.

I can't speak of the 1-player experience (I've played sporadically over the years), but it was fun as a 2-player coop, even though it suffered from the typical "oops, the leader has to backup/backtrack in order for partner to advance. Personally, I don't think this is a flaw, it simply is the nature of 2-player games of this sort.

Now, a more annoying issue is when one/both players must be BIG/small to pass a point:  you have to backtrack/maneuver for candy to  respawn... It's not horrible, but it can be slightly annoying if one of the players has "low SKILLZ" (my daughter improved). 

Bonk 3 HuCARD wasn't a particularly challenging game (none of the PC Genjin's are), but overall it was WAY more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be.

I still haven't given this game a fair 1-player outing, so I will reserve judgement on it.

For the record, I do *not* consider Bonk's Revenge to have supreme superiority over Bonk 1 (when Bonk 2 was released, I *did* feel it was *vastly* superior to Bonk 1, but my opinion of Bonk 1 have changed over the years and now I *love* it more than I ever thought I would).

So, with that in mind, I am willing to give Bonk 3 a real chance to win my heart.

As for Bonk 3 CD—I never really played it (briefly with friends), so I can't judge it.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TurboXray

The first Bonk game has fantastic gameplay (best out of all of them) and the atmosphere and character is just awesome. The second Bonk game added better graphics, environments, and overall better level design. The Bosses a little hit or miss in the design department, and the gameplay was nurfed, but overall it was a great sequel that more than added to the whole Bonk experience.

Bonk 3 is an odd duck. They changed quite a bit of things, which seems to be a love it or hate it kind of thing, but for me - it just lacks the polish and production value of the previous two games. The graphics are much more miss than hit, taking a step back from Bonk's Revenge and even less pleasing to the eye than Bonk's Adventure. They have a very generic look and lack detail/color, not only for the time it was released but over all in the series contained to the PC-Engine/TG16/Duo.

The Big/small mechanics are nice, but they don't make up for what's missing in this game. The two player mode is where this game shines in my opinion. But that's also part of the problem. Playing two players kind of distracts for how bland and uninspiring the level design layout really is, but majority of experience in this game is solo action. I really can only enjoy this game as two players simultaneously play.

The music is sort of self-evident in how the game has lost its character. The music of the previous two games were instantaneously recognizable, and didn't sound like any other TG16 game (still doesn't; love those trumpet instruments in the first two games). The music on this game is sooo forgettable.

Overall, I feel this game falls short of the first two games. While it does have some redeemable content such as different style environments/level designs, and two player mode, it feels more like a failed effort in the series than anything else.

Maybe I can replace the CD tracks in the CD version with Bonk style music to see if that enhances the atmosphere (I haven't played the CD version in ages; I assume it uses CD tracks).

NightWolve

I call it, "Bonk III: Bonk's Big Boring Adventure..." That is all.

EvilEvoIX

Bonk III is my least favorite but I am glad we have it.  1 had the best spin attack for sure.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

gheebee

Really not sure why the big and small Bonk powerups put me off on this one because once I played it the game felt like a worthy entry into the series even though I liked it less than the previous two. Oh, and once again the US got cheated out of crossdressing Bonk. lol

BigusSchmuck

It's not a bad game by any means. Just not worth the price it commands these days. If I'm gong to spend $100+ on something, it better be damn good as in Dracula X good. Enough said.

DQ187

Quote from: Nulltard on 09/03/2016, 04:41 PMBonk 3 is too expensive. Fortunately there are repros available.

(Just for you, Luke)
There are repros available? We should discuss this as i to am one who thinks this game is too expensive! 8-[ 

NecroPhile

I like that Bonk 3 has more variety in enemies and scenery, larger levels, enemy juggling missing from Revenge, a two-player mode, and its tunes are all original (Revenge recycled a lot from Adventure).  I don't like that it's too easy (especially the pushover bosses), the candy is mostly a gimmick, the loud and shitty 'atmosphere' noises in some of the cd version's tunes, or how tedious it gets playing two player with an unskilled player.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: DQ187 on 09/06/2016, 10:00 AM
Quote from: Nulltard on 09/03/2016, 04:41 PMBonk 3 is too expensive. Fortunately there are repros available.

(Just for you, Luke)
There are repros available? We should discuss this as i to am one who thinks this game is too expensive! 8-[ 
The Turbo Everdrive is only $70.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

gatsu25

I played through the Super CD version quite a few years ago.  I liked it, but it definitely wasn't as enjoyable as Revenge for me.  Perhaps maybe if they had continued the series like they did with Adventure Island, it could have become something more interesting.

That being said, it's still a great game.

dallaspattern

Bonk 3 is a goddamned disaster. Awful. Just awful. My dislike for the game has actually continued to occupy a small part of my brain ever since I first laid eyes on the lazy animation and uninspired levels. For some ungodly reason. Burn it to the ground.

TurboXray

Interesting fact (which Black Tiger brought up a few years back IIRC), is that the CD one has less animation frames for the super sized bonk. Guess they couldn't fit it all into CD memory.

Keith Courage

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/03/2016, 07:07 PMI thought it was cool turning big and small the first couple of times I did it but after that It was an annoying feature.
I thought this was really annoying as well. especially when turning into large bonk since I always feel like I can't see what I'm doing because of the sheer size. Otherwise a great game.

turning into the crab is still fun for some reason.

NecroPhile

Quote from: dallaspattern on 09/07/2016, 11:33 PMBonk 3 is a goddamned disaster. Awful. Just awful. My dislike for the game has actually continued to occupy a small part of my brain ever since I first laid eyes on the lazy animation and uninspired levels. For some ungodly reason. Burn it to the ground.
You go to hell!  :P

Quote from: TurboXray on 09/08/2016, 01:21 AMInteresting fact (which Black Tiger brought up a few years back IIRC), is that the CD one has less animation frames for the super sized bonk. Guess they couldn't fit it all into CD memory.
But it makes up for it (slightly) by using Godzilla roars in the final battle.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gypsy

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 09/05/2016, 12:35 AMIt's not a bad game by any means. Just not worth the price it commands these days. If I'm gong to spend $100+ on something, it better be damn good as in Dracula X good. Enough said.
Yeah pretty much. I was grabbing some Saturn imports last night and I was considering titles like Batsugun, but in the end I went for 5 titles for a bit less than what Batsugun usually runs. Even if one is a bit rough around the edges (DonPachi) I feel like I'll get a lot more play time out of these 5 than I would Batsugun.

Going back to the topic of Bonk 3 I think it's totally fine. Haters gonna hate, but it's worth playing to completion. I would say definitely not for the US price but stalking for a nicely priced Japanese copy, sure. Or just everdrive it, whatever floats your boat.

LostFlunky

Quote from: Keith Courage on 09/08/2016, 04:39 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/03/2016, 07:07 PMI thought it was cool turning big and small the first couple of times I did it but after that It was an annoying feature.
I thought this was really annoying as well. especially when turning into large bonk since I always feel like I can't see what I'm doing because of the sheer size. Otherwise a great game.

turning into the crab is still fun for some reason.
I found the crab parts the most frustrating of all.  Trying to make those jumps up and to the right or left...

dallaspattern

Quote from: TurboXray on 09/08/2016, 01:21 AMInteresting fact (which Black Tiger brought up a few years back IIRC), is that the CD one has less animation frames for the super sized bonk. Guess they couldn't fit it all into CD memory.
That is interesting!

(and the hatred grows..)

Slainmonkey

Bonk 3 is a perfect example of a games being merely just good.....and for a Bonk game, it really should have been better. Bonk's Adventure was a great start to the series, Bonk's Revenge was a brilliant game that improved on almost every thing (will exception of Bonk's head spin)......but 3 not so much. The game is still good because it's built on the strong bones of the first to, but I feel like it rested on it's laurels this time, stage designs were less focused, and they seemed to try and cover up for its lack of creativity by throwing the size mechanic and a 2 player mode......problem is these felt like gimmicks. It's still mostly a well made and enjoyable game, but it's very clearly the weakest of the trilogy!

NightWolve

Reminds me, still need to sell my original HuCard copy some day. Yeah, I feel about the same, but maybe have a bit less respect for it than you do. The boring music really hurts it for me... I liked the super-sized China Warrior Bonk sprite and generally speaking that Hudson gave us another adventure game in the series (roughly in the same mold), so I quickly beat it after purchase circa ~1994-95, but can't say I hold any fond memories of it. I don't think I bothered to ever play it again after that...

IMG

Slainmonkey

I was disappointed with it initially, but kinda gained more respect for it after playing Super Bonk. I feel that while 3 lost some of the magic the first 2 had, and was too easy, there was a lot of things the game did right. Super Bonk on the other hand felt like it was throwing random ideas at the wall to see what stuck, and the game was a complete mess as a whole. It certainly made going back to Bonk 3 a far more enjoyable experience!

PikachuWarrior

I still have the Hucard loose. Got it off of Amazon for $60 bones several years ago. Great game! Now it's super expensive and makes me wanna sell sell sell! SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL...

Maybe.

Okay, see ya'll in like 4+ years. I'm out.

TEE HEE. I miss SOME of you.
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/29/2018, 09:14 PMI still have the Hucard loose. Got it off of Amazon for $60 bones several years ago. Great game! Now it's super expensive and makes me wanna sell sell sell! SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL...

Maybe.

Okay, see ya'll in like 4+ years. I'm out.

TEE HEE. I miss SOME of you.
Hey storino, almost forgot, thanks for stopping by again AND thanks for smearing us in front of Victor Ireland on his forum as retaliation after getting a free 2nd copy of Mysterious Song from Old Rover by complaining about a cracked case or whatever and then trying to scalp it for $70 bucks on eBay when he went on to sell more stock for $19.99... Good looking out for PCE fans, buddy!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/03/2016, 07:07 PMBonk 3 is OK. I think by the time Bonk 3 (or PC Genjin 3 for the weeaboos) came around, the world had grown tired of Bonk. That includes the developers. I thought it was cool turning big and small the first couple of times I did it but after that It was an annoying feature. Besides giant Bonk, the game offered no progression in graphical technology. The music in the HuCard version is better than the CD version. There is also more animation in the HuCard versio due to the severe limitations of the Super CD-ROM technology. This is why Nintendo stuck with carts on the N64, people.
I always thought Nintendo stuck with carts is similar to why they like to stay one generation behind on most things.

Because it's tried and true tech that became cheaper as the next new thing came out allowing their teams tk better exploit old tech that they have become more experienced at.

Cheaper.
More experienced at utilizing
Cheaper.

Expect for the N64 carts. By that time they were the only ones still using carts instead of CDs so the cost to manufacture increased as the industry as a whole moved beyond it. Making Nintendo pay a premium for stay with older tech.

Medic_wheat

It's a game I bought the PCE of when I first got into Turbo. Mostly as it was $35 import.

I became interested due to rarity and having greatly enjoyed Bonk 1&2.

Once I played it although it is more of the same.  It just didn't make me want to go back and play more of it like the first two games. Which is odd. With Bonk 1&2 I can look at the spin label and instantly say yes let's play some of that.

With Bonk 3 I pause and think do I feel like it?

Years later I did pick up a loose NA Bonk3 in a lot of other games from a fb page. Mostly because I wanted to complete my NA Bonk games (not including other systems). Oddly enough I only played it for 20-40 minutes once just to test it out when it got to my house.

In short Bonk 3 is a game more infamous for price and rarity then it is as a game to enjoy for its intended purposes.

In the soectrum of games (any system) that are expensive, sought after, and rare very few have ever lived up to the hype. The hysteria. Or the price (as most have to but the bullet instead of finding a Surprise at Dinasor Peek for $5 or such).