PCEFX Reviews (Join the Staff!) and Some Preservation of Brothers DuoMazov.

Started by NightWolve, 08/18/2018, 10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/reviews/

As Zigfried/EmeraldRocker mentioned, we moved on the idea of a PCEFX Reviews section for both new and classic reviews of his that are no longer published on the Internet. I think the "mission" of PCEFX has gone off-track for some years and I wanna see some return to what PCE preservation should be about going forward. More content, ideas for content, and getting back to some "fun" and an atmosphere of comradery wouldn't hurt either!

As stated in the title, anyone that wants to publish a PCE/PCFX review here can drop me a line. If you bring the quality, I'll get it uploaded/published. Aaron used to have a few people in the late 90's actually but the motivation died off I guess, as some things inevitably do. We'll figure out how to link it up in the index and either you or I can apply the template to it that EmeraldRocker made which fits with the PCEFX look.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/reviews/duomazov/

On June of this year, per my earlier thread, The Brothers DuoMazov domain mysteriously expired... RuninRider/IvaNEC cannot be reached from his Facebook page, email or anywhere else... We don't know if this is the end for sure or what, but the longer the domain is without an owner, the hopes of a return to normal grow more bleak. Thankfully, The WayBack Machine has pretty much copied the whole website, so I decided to import what I valued the most and I also created a dropdown combobox linker that lets you access 100% of the other reviews with the WayBack site. WayBack did accomplish this, but my linker is a tad better from some of the broken pages that are archived and it's a piece of cake to add to other sites.

Now, keep in mind this all may be temporary as RuninRider could return without warning at any time, so this was done with the respectful assumption that he might not and that his content is worth preservation for future PCE-loving generations to enjoy. If at the end of the year he/his site still doesn't return, I may continue to import more articles onto PCEFX for better preservation than WayBack so long as the space is there to allow for it.

What a shame if fan work like this was to be lost for good or only left as a remnant inside The WayBack Machine with its popup menu insertions and slow response time...

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/reviews/duomazov/legend-of-xanadu.html
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

I like the colorful PCE 16-bit eye candy upfront, instant, versus waiting for it in a YouTube review personally.

Anyway, that concludes this update. The grunt work needed to clean up those pages for importation was quite tedious and the effort could be in vain at any moment, so don't wanna go too far with this until RuninRider turns up again. It'd be better to get a ZIP of the whole site from him if he decided he doesn't wanna host his review site himself anymore...

nat

I'm five years late here, and it looks like this forum is now dead but I wanted to set the record straight for history's sake in case a weary soul ever travels this way, wondering.

The Brothers Duomazov was an idea cooked up primarily by my old friend runinruder, along with myself (Ai Cho Alexei) and GUTS/Duomitri late one night. Runin did the lion's share of the reviews (the good ones), and I did the site site design, layout and coding and occasionally contributed reviews, as did GUTS.

The reason the site is gone is entirely my fault. In addition to maintaining the site, I also owned the domain. I was going through a big life change (moving from California to Washington, entering into a new cohabiting situation, etc) around the time the domain was set to expire and to be frank, I was no longer at all involved in the scene.

The expiration of the site was not on my radar at this point, and although runin tried to get ahold of me through the only email he had for me, unfortunately that also was one I had abandoned due to excessive spam. I didn't even realize until almost a year had gone by that it had expired. I tried to reach out to runin at this point but never got a response. I will assume he was probably furious with me, and rightly so. He poured so much time into those reviews, the fact the site is gone is criminal.

It was never supposed to have ended the way it did. I was extremely proud of the work we did there over the 10 years we were active and I had always envisioned the site would endure even after my interest waned. I am still proud to have been a part of it. I should have "signed over the domain" to him long before it expired but my exit wasn't sudden or planned, it was a gradual thing that just sort of happened.

So, to everyone out there who used our site as a resource, and primarily to runin, wherever he may be today, I sincerely apologize for the way it panned out. I hope you were able to archive all your reviews before it went offline. Also, hope life finds you healthy and happy.

Nat

NightWolve

Ah, I see... Thanks for stopping by and clearing it up.

It reminds me about a discussion @Voultar started some time back how those who migrated to video/YouTube thrived (think TurboViews, GameSack, Happy Console Gamer) but all those [sites/people] who stuck with text/image reviews/guides/content faded or continue to fade into irrelevancy, obscurity, were left behind... In my pursuits I always wanted to improve my writing for post history at least but I see I missed the boat when I should've been honing video editing skills. Just a little food for thought.

Anyway, hope you're doing well and thanks again for dropping by. I think it was also a mistake for Nanto to close PCEFX the way he did but I'll pay for it now as long as I'm still breathing for history/archive's sake and continue to research better display/showcasing ideas for our 20 years of PC Engine/TurboGrafx history.