10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Sega CD advice (Model 1 vs CDX)

Started by The Last Barbarian, 09/05/2018, 08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Last Barbarian

Hey guys, I've decided to get either a Sega CD model 1 or cdx. Just wondering what you guys think would be the better choice. I kinda have my heart set on s model 1 but I know they can be pretty unreliable..  which do you think is the better way to go ??

Ps I hate the model 2 side by side design. I know those tend to be the most reliable but I just can't stand the looks of the unit.

Medic_wheat

I love the model one. Got two of them. They look the best IMO.

However I have two for a reason. They are hard as well to keep running.

A CDX works great and more reliable.

NightWolve

You moved to FEKA marketing now in a PCEFX forum ?  :cry: Bonk would not be pleased...  :bonkthis:

Just kidding, it's fine. We're not platformist pricks here, good games are good games for whatever console they were published on.

I've only ever seen the original in operation personally. Borrowed a Genesis with its collection many moons ago from a friend. I recall I watched him play Sewer Shark and Night Trap, don't remember what other CD titles he had, but I must not have cared since I only borrowed his cart games/unit, heh.

JoeQuaker

Yeah I got a CDX when I was 14 or 15. I originally wanted to play Lunar and Night Trap. Remember showing it to this older kid that was a bit of a bully thinking he was going to tear into the whole thing.. instead while watching the intro when cat says "Alex! Aaaalex!" the dude looks at me with glee and says "IT TALKS?!?!?" lololol

Played a lot of Night Trap and Double Switch. I actually liked those stupid FMV games. Sewer Shark was only good for comedy. I still quote some of the lines with old friends I used to play with. Stupid, hard game. Never finished it.

I later pawned it and 4-5 games for about 75$ about 3 years later. Honestly the only regret I have about that is that Snatcher was one of those games. It was actually my first CD player too. Listened to a lot of CDs while riding in the car on that thing.
Mir ist kalt, so kalt...

NightWolve

Quote from: JoeQuaker on 09/05/2018, 12:57 PMYeah I got a CDX when I was 14 or 15. I originally wanted to play Lunar and Night Trap.
I'm planning to play/beat Lunar: The Silver Star soon actually - I set up the CD image, got it booted with the Kega CD emulator, tested the HDMI link to my 4K 43" LGTV (watched the opening intro) with my 7" Windows 10 tablet, and my 8bitdo SNES gamepad is working proper again (the new 4.0+ BIOS disables Bluetooth keyboard mode which is ridiculous, that's a GREAT feature, made it way more compatible with everything).

I got interested enough after reading Ziggy's/[Emerald Rocker's] review on it and learning that it can be beaten in only about 1 day.

http://www.honestgamers.com/8615/sega-cd/lunar-the-silver-star/review.html

QuoteDragonmaster Dyne was born in this sleepy village of Burg
I hadn't realized that DragonMasterDan had adopted his username/alias from a Working Designs published title until finding that, heh. I just thought it was due to him actually being named Dan, and having mastered playing with his dragon in his leisure (that, or thought he was a just solid D&D fan).  :wink:

TR0N

Quote from: The Last Barbarian on 09/05/2018, 08:08 AMHey guys, I've decided to get either a Sega CD model 1 or cdx. Just wondering what you guys think would be the better choice. I kinda have my heart set on s model 1 but I know they can be pretty unreliable..  which do you think is the better way to go ??

Ps I hate the model 2 side by side design. I know those tend to be the most reliable but I just can't stand the looks of the unit.
Keep in mind the model one isn't to reliable and they break easily.The CDX,most i've heard there a pain in the ass to repair if it does break plus they can't play burns.Really the best setup is a model 2 with a model one genesis.That's my setup and it works for me plus when i wanted to play snatcher again i went with a burn and i was set.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

pdiggitydogg

I agree, unfortunately. I own a model 1 and a model 2 Sega CD and the model 2 is far more reliable and in the end is easier to repair.
The model 1 looks way better though... I've got the 1 working pretty well but it still struggles to close the tray about 25% of the time.
I would avoid cdx based on cost alone.

nopepper

I currently only own a CDX (used to own a model 2), and while it has been reliable, it does have what appears to be shielding issues that display as wavy lines that can only really be noticed in some dark backgrounds. From research I've done, this seems to be prevalent on these units and cap replacements won't fix the problem. The other issue is that the sound is not nearly as nice when playing cartridge games as on a high def genesis with model 2 attached. To me, the latter is a much bigger deal, so I keep a genesis hooked up, which kinda defeats the purpose of having the compact CDX in my setup.

Quote from: TR0N on 09/06/2018, 12:25 AMKeep in mind the model one isn't to reliable and they break easily.The CDX,most i've heard there a pain in the ass to repair if it does break plus they can't play burns.Really the best setup is a model 2 with a model one genesis.That's my setup and it works for me plus when i wanted to play snatcher again i went with a burn and i was set.
You can play burned discs on a CDX, not sure what makes you think you can't. Supposedly it damages the laser, so it is not recommended, but to be honest, this could just be an old wives tale just like with the Duo and other cd based systems. I've used CDRs for about 5 years on mine with no issues.

The one thing you absolutely want to make sure is that you use the OEM PSU, or one that is rated accordingly, as using the wrong one has been confirmed (as much as the internet can "confirm") to damage the CDX. Also, pay attention to the battery slots for any signs of leakage and corrosion, as this could have damaged the unit permanently.

And yes, they are a pain to even open, let alone repair, but thankfully nowadays there are lots of tutorials and videos that can guide you through the process.

With all that said, and not having ever owned a model 1, if I were to do it all over again (and space was not an issue), I would just go for the model 2 with a high def genesis. Yeah, it's an ugly as sin setup, but it is the best to play games with optimal picture and sound quality, and isn't that what it's all about in the end?

TR0N

Quote from: nopepper on 09/06/2018, 12:54 PMI currently only own a CDX (used to own a model 2), and while it has been reliable, it does have what appears to be shielding issues that display as wavy lines that can only really be noticed in some dark backgrounds. From research I've done, this seems to be prevalent on these units and cap replacements won't fix the problem. The other issue is that the sound is not nearly as nice when playing cartridge games as on a high def genesis with model 2 attached. To me, the latter is a much bigger deal, so I keep a genesis hooked up, which kinda defeats the purpose of having the compact CDX in my setup.

Quote from: TR0N on 09/06/2018, 12:25 AMKeep in mind the model one isn't to reliable and they break easily.The CDX,most i've heard there a pain in the ass to repair if it does break plus they can't play burns.Really the best setup is a model 2 with a model one genesis.That's my setup and it works for me plus when i wanted to play snatcher again i went with a burn and i was set.
You can play burned discs on a CDX, not sure what makes you think you can't. Supposedly it damages the laser, so it is not recommended, but to be honest, this could just be an old wives tale just like with the Duo and other cd based systems. I've used CDRs for about 5 years on mine with no issues.

The one thing you absolutely want to make sure is that you use the OEM PSU, or one that is rated accordingly, as using the wrong one has been confirmed (as much as the internet can "confirm") to damage the CDX. Also, pay attention to the battery slots for any signs of leakage and corrosion, as this could have damaged the unit permanently.

And yes, they are a pain to even open, let alone repair, but thankfully nowadays there are lots of tutorials and videos that can guide you through the process.

With all that said, and not having ever owned a model 1, if I were to do it all over again (and space was not an issue), I would just go for the model 2 with a high def genesis. Yeah, it's an ugly as sin setup, but it is the best to play games with optimal picture and sound quality, and isn't that what it's all about in the end?
Youtuber that i follow couldn't play burns on his cdx and he sold it shortly there after.
IMG

majors

Quote from: nopepper on 09/06/2018, 12:54 PMYou can play burned discs on a CDX, not sure what makes you think you can't.
I did not want to chime in since I did not have 100% evidence, but my CDX plays CDRs as well but I do have occasionally lock ups or bad load times from using them. At cons I'd rather not put out a real Keio, so I used a burn. To me any perceived damage due to CDRs is overturned by the fact I want to play the damn games...plus any 20+ year old CD player is gonna have issues due to age.

I love my CDX, but I got it cheap bitd... it is a pitty about Terminator and it's known issues of locking up. But at least it'll run for a good bit before locking up and there is a stage select cheat to go directly to the level it crashes on if you want to continue.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

nopepper

Mind sharing who this is?

Here, I made a little ghetto video cdr'ing Snatcher on the CDX: Thumbs up bitches!

Medic_wheat

Can't play burned games on CDX. Solution. Okay original copies of games. Lol

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: NightWolve on 09/05/2018, 02:03 PM
QuoteDragonmaster Dyne was born in this sleepy village of Burg
I hadn't realized that DragonMasterDan had adopted his username/alias from a Working Designs published title until finding that, heh. I just thought it was due to him actually being named Dan, and having mastered playing with his dragon in his leisure (that, or thought he was a just solid D&D fan).  :wink:
Yes, though I actually am named Dan the user ID is a reference to Lunar. I've been using it since 1996 or so on the old Sega-Saturn.com message boards which had a Lunar specific board called the Lunar threads.
--DragonmasterDan

tbone3969

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/07/2018, 11:49 AMCan't play burned games on CDX. Solution. Okay original copies of games. Lol
Not true.  I play CDR games on it all the time.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

tbone3969

I have owned most of the variations at one time or another and my favorite is by far the JVC X'eye.  If you plan on using the 32x then the X'eye will not work so I'd go with the model one Genesis and the Model one Sega CD in that case.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

NightWolve

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/07/2018, 12:23 PMYes, though I actually am named Dan the user ID is a reference to Lunar. I've been using it since 1996 or so on the old Sega-Saturn.com message boards which had a Lunar specific board called the Lunar threads.
Yeah, I knew your name by now, just didn't know the whole alias was Working Designs/Lunar love which I wholeheartedly approve of. :)

exodus

I don't have a particular recommendation, but I use a CDX because of the size. I have no issues using my 32x with it, either.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: tbone3969 on 09/07/2018, 03:40 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/07/2018, 11:49 AMCan't play burned games on CDX. Solution. Okay original copies of games. Lol
Not true.  I play CDR games on it all the time.
I was being snide in my response.

TR0N

Quote from: nopepper on 09/07/2018, 11:49 AMMind sharing who this is?

Here, I made a little ghetto video cdr'ing Snatcher on the CDX: Thumbs up bitches!
It was master cast tv if you're wondering but the person doesn't have the cdx any more.Still since you stated a cdx can play burns  :dance:
IMG

Keith Courage

Don't get a CDX. They break and cost more to have someone fix over a model 1. With that being said, a model 2 is the most reliable and probably the best way to go. However if you need a model 1 or CDX then get a Model 1.

Also, a common problem with CDX systems is the lens motors die and no one has a source for new replacements. Seriously, there is no where to buy the part. So if this part goes bad you can't get it fixed without getting another broken CDX which will most likely also have a bad lens motor. Much like how FM towns systems have no source for replacement lenses.

Sega model 1 and 2 drives still have parts available for the lens, motors, gears and what not.

Medic_wheat

Wait who the heck does repair work for Model 1 Sega CDs?  I have yet to find a reliable modded/repair person for Sega CDs.

Keith Courage

I used to take repairs for them by mail but not anymore. This is because I'd say 75% of any model 1 I had mailed to me in the past had plastic pieces broken on the inside due to shipping. The inside of those things are so fragile. Also the weights that go on the ribbon cables would flop around on the inside and cause havoc as well. In each case the package looked just fine and did not appear to have been mishandled in any way. Took me many hours of gluing and modifying things to make work again. I suppose if someone was willing to use a large enough box that can fit at least 4 or more wraps of large bubble wrap around the drive for shipment, then I'd be willing to work on one again.

xcrement5x

Yeah, this question is a no-win. But I would say go with the Model 1 if you can get a working unit easily enough.

As others have said Model 1 can break down easily enough but is repairable, the CDX is a pain in the butt to fix unless you are am electronics magician like thesteve or something. 

If you want a third option you could get a JVC X'EYE or a LaserActive.  The x'eye is pretty reliable in my experience, and the LA is a tank as long as you have the PAC recapped right away.

But the best bang for the buck in terms of a daily use machine is the Model 2 CD, that's what I keep around for normal playing though I may retire it soon since I mainly just use the LA for PCE and Sega stuff at this point.  I really only keep the other unit around for 32X support (until I finish the custom patch cable for the LA).

I have had issues with those ferrite blocks too Keith, I normally wind up either removing them totally after fixing a unit (I never noticed a difference) or super gluing the block to the shielding and threading the cable through there.

EvilEvoIX

My model 1 works perfectly and I've never had an issue.  It also hooks up to a Model 1 genesis which has the best sound.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Flare65

I remember working at Electronics Boutique when we got our first one in.  We had a list of about 30-40 people who wanted one.  The demand was insane.

The launch games were a complete let down...

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Flare65 on 10/29/2018, 11:26 AMI remember working at Electronics Boutique when we got our first one in.  We had a list of about 30-40 people who wanted one.  The demand was insane.

Was that when Electronics Boutique was in one of the pods in Yorktown?
--DragonmasterDan

Flare65

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/04/2018, 05:25 PM
Quote from: Flare65 on 10/29/2018, 11:26 AMI remember working at Electronics Boutique when we got our first one in.  We had a list of about 30-40 people who wanted one.  The demand was insane.

Was that when Electronics Boutique was in one of the pods in Yorktown?
Yeah, lower level between  the escalators.

DragonmasterDan

--DragonmasterDan