@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Was given an Xbox 360. What do?

Started by Flare65, 12/01/2018, 11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare65

My  brother- in-Law gave me his xbox 360.  He isn't much of a gamer and gave me a stack of worthless sports titles along with it.  In the stack was Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock.

I really don't know much about the system I have never had an xbox console before.  The system does work and I played Bio shock for a bit.  I don't think he used it in over four or five years.  I have a couple of questions for any owners of this system.

How important is an internet connection and microsoft account for this system?  I have no interest in any multiplayer games (I assume the multiplayer community is dead since there is the xbox One now).  Does this thing have wireless internet or is it Cat5 cable connection only?  Being a Microsoft product, I assume a lot of games need patches.

Any must have games?  Not looking to spend a lot of money on expensive chase rare titles but quality games that I can pick up on the cheap.  Platformers and shooters are my go-to games.

NightWolve

Now there's a question you don't see often in a PCE forum: "I got a free Microsoft XBOX 360, what do I do with it !???" :P

Wish I could help, but my last NG console was PS2, heh. I faded out from the buy-new-console/library thing right about there.

Quick look at the specs shows it has both WiFi and an Ethernet port. I always recommend a good cable (cat7 is cheap on eBay, stick with that) to your router if possible because the lag isn't worth the trouble, especially on a smart TV or the PS3 (which I once borrowed from my renter to troubleshoot WiFi connectivity) if they only support WiFi 802.11g and not the later 'n' protocol as most modern phones do.

Looks like it's better than the PS3 which could only connect with the slower WiFi 'g' protocol on my router as I discovered with testing. I had set my router to 'n' only mode for max speed and that's what caused the connection failure for an older WiFi device like PS3.

Anyway, good luck. I think there was a SquareEnix game that looked interesting, something I would've wanted but its name escapes me right now. Bernie was a big XBOX fan BTW, he would've had some recommendations, but alas he's a creature of Facebook now too...

jperryss

The original 360 doesn't have built-in wifi. The slim 2nd generation does. Here's a pic with the original on the left (it also came in black) and a slim in the middle. On the right is apparently a later model that I didn't know existed, I assume it has wifi also.

IMG

NightWolve

Ah, I see, yeah, WiFi is an add-on option to the 2005 model, but the later S and E revisions included it. Worse, the first add-on only supported the g protocol max, just like PS3 which is half the speed of the 100 mbit Ethernet port and it IS kinda painful in response time compared to a wired connection as I saw with my 4K smart TV...

I went to the extra trouble to buy Cat7 cables for 2 TVs, my PC, MagicJack VoIP, and other shared router because the performance was just better and if you have a modem/router combo you know from experience the WiFi portion tends to crash while wired ports will still work.

Smart protip is to buy a power timer like for Christmas lights, set it for nightly off/on cycles at 4:30am when everyone is asleep so the router can reboot daily. This will save you lots of headaches, yes, even a good new WiFi router needs daily reboots to remain stable. New ones have a feature in the BIOS to set a daily reboot too, but I still recommend a power timer at your electrical outlet for full shutdown, startup cycles, for your modem too if separate.

WiFi routers are practically full computers now that come with 1.4 to 1.8 GHz duo-core CPUs and have complex OS systems that crash as well as a Windows PC does, so just random FYI.

Flare65

Quote from: jperryss on 12/02/2018, 02:50 PMThe original 360 doesn't have built-in wifi. The slim 2nd generation does. Here's a pic with the original on the left (it also came in black) and a slim in the middle. On the right is apparently a later model that I didn't know existed, I assume it has wifi also.
The one he gave me must be the original one as the menu settings don't have any options for wifi connections.

nectarsis

Quote from: Flare65 on 12/01/2018, 11:34 PMAny must have games?  Not looking to spend a lot of money on expensive chase rare titles but quality games that I can pick up on the cheap.  Platformers and shooters are my go-to games.
Some of the exclusives(?) are ok, lots of shmup imports (though some are still a bit pricey).
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

majors

Akai Katana, Bayonetta, Death Smiles, Vanquish, Sonic's Ultimate Genny collection, Child of Eden, Qubed, Raiden Aces...are a few games I enjoy for the 360. I think all are cheap or at least were when I got them used or on clearance. I'm not on-line with my 360 but I have hooked it up to grab some DLC* and a couple on download games like Outrun Online, Chime, Hard Corp Uprising. So I feel you do not need to connect to enjoy the console.

I think the last game I bought was Mass Effect 3 for $4, since I enjoyed part 2.

* The DLC I got was extra levels for Lumines, Black Label stages for Mushihimesama, bonus content for Sega Transformed...so not very intense purchases.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Flare65 on 12/01/2018, 11:34 PMMy  brother- in-Law gave me his xbox 360.  He isn't much of a gamer and gave me a stack of worthless sports titles along with it.  In the stack was Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock.

I really don't know much about the system I have never had an xbox console before.  The system does work and I played Bio shock for a bit.  I don't think he used it in over four or five years.  I have a couple of questions for any owners of this system.

How important is an internet connection and microsoft account for this system?  I have no interest in any multiplayer games (I assume the multiplayer community is dead since there is the xbox One now).  Does this thing have wireless internet or is it Cat5 cable connection only?  Being a Microsoft product, I assume a lot of games need patches.

Any must have games?  Not looking to spend a lot of money on expensive chase rare titles but quality games that I can pick up on the cheap.  Platformers and shooters are my go-to games.
Check around local gamestops, some games you might like would be Deathsmiles, Akai Katana, Otomidious Excellent and there's a lot of other very solid games for it. Unfortunately, 13 years after its release the online store and what not doesn't have quite as much content up as it used to. The original models are ethernet only so you need to plug it in somewhere you can run a cable to.
--DragonmasterDan

Medic_wheat

You could. Set it on fire.  lol. Jk.

NightWolve

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/06/2018, 03:08 PMYou could. Set it on fire.  lol. Jk.
I hear blow dryers are useful for console maintenance...

Medic_wheat

As for 360 games I would recommend.

Deathsmilss

BigusSchmuck

After watching this video I really don't know why anyone would waste their time with one considering a pc will have most of the big games on it.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 12/07/2018, 09:37 AMAfter watching this video I really don't know why anyone would waste their time with one considering a pc will have most of the big games on it.
There's a lot of dirt cheap games that can be bought physically at very low prices. Gamestops are closing left and right and last gen stuff for 360 and PS3 is about as cheap as it's going to get. Get the deals now while you still can if you want to physically own copies of these games
--DragonmasterDan

Keith Courage

I'm not a big fan of 3d gaming so I primarly use my 360 for only 2d shooters and racing games. The 360 has many shooters that other consoles never got.

majors

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 12/06/2018, 01:37 PM... games you might like [snip] Otomidious Excellent
Hmmm...dunno about that one Dan-O. I'm pretty sure it got panned across the board. Don't get me wrong, I picked it up also but it's not high on my list. Uninspiring gfx, repetitive enemies and "Euro" shooting mechanics(take too may shots to kill normal enemies) just send the game to sub mediocre. Plus Konami was on full DLC get-rich-quick mode with it...I'd love to have the castlevania girl but I'm not paying $5 with the game being so dull.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: majors on 12/13/2018, 08:11 AMHmmm...dunno about that one Dan-O. I'm pretty sure it got panned across the board. Don't get me wrong, I picked it up also but it's not high on my list. Uninspiring gfx, repetitive enemies and "Euro" shooting mechanics(take too may shots to kill normal enemies) just send the game to sub mediocre. Plus Konami was on full DLC get-rich-quick mode with it...I'd love to have the castlevania girl but I'm not paying $5 with the game being so dull.
It has umm.. charm and is a worthwhile pickup at a low price.
--DragonmasterDan

Medic_wheat

I was at a GameStop yesterday. I was semi shocked more annoyed how they had faken ALL of their PS3/360 games. Dumped all the cases and just had sleeves and sleeves of game disks in their used bins.

I even found a few games so wanted still.  It I don't want to pay GS used prices is it's just a game disk.

NightWolve

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/31/2018, 08:42 AMI was at a GameStop yesterday.
Speaking of GameStop, it's been in the news lately due to an Angry Grrrrr GamerThug about to pull a can of whip ass out for being called "sir..."
"Marthafocker, take it outside and I WILL GIVE YOU A SIR!!!! SAY SIR ONE MORE TIME!!! SAY SIR ONE MORE TIME!!!!!!"

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/31/2018, 02:00 PMSpeaking of GameStop, it's been in the news lately due to an Angry Grrrrr GamerThug about to pull a can of whip ass out for being called "sir..."
"Marthafocker, take it outside and I WILL GIVE YOU A SIR!!!! SAY SIR ONE MORE TIME!!! SAY SIR ONE MORE TIME!!!!!!"
I'm just imagining the call to GameStop corporate
Gamestop Rep: "Thank you for calling GameStop corporate how can I help you?"
Freakout Star: "Hi, I would like to levy a complaint"
Gamestop Rep: "And what complaint may that be sir?"
Freakout Star "WHY DID YOU CALL ME SIR?"
--DragonmasterDan

Flare65

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/31/2018, 02:00 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/31/2018, 08:42 AMI was at a GameStop yesterday.
Speaking of GameStop, it's been in the news lately due to an Angry Grrrrr GamerThug about to pull a can of whip ass out for being called "sir..."
It wasn't acting very lady like.  Lol..  Looked like some middle aged guy in drag.

Flare65

Back on subject......I've decided to sell this Xbox 360.  Anyone looking to buy one?  PM me.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Flare65 on 01/04/2019, 01:42 PMBack on subject......I've decided to sell this Xbox 360.  Anyone looking to buy one?  PM me.
They aren't worth much, on half price books half off day we were seeing slims and smaller models for under 30 bucks with a hard drive, controller and cables. I'd honestly recommend holding on to it.
--DragonmasterDan

Flare65

At that price its not even worth the trouble to list it on ebay or craigslist. 

I just dont have time to play all these games.