RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Memoirs Forum Exclusive: Official Pcenginefx Pixelblocks Gallery

Started by PCEngineFX, 10/11/2007, 06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

IMG

Welcome to the official Pcenginefx PixelBlocks Gallery!  This Memoirs forum exclusive gallery is to show off your Turbo/PCE/PC-FX related PixelBlocks (http://www.pixelblocks.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/pbonline) artwork.  Feel free to post up photos of your characters even if they were not created with PixelBlocks, but it has to be made out of something (not drawn) and Turbo/PCE/PC-FX related.

To kick off the gallery, I present you with "Bonk Smiley":

IMG
IMG
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG

Turbo D

That is bad-ass  8) I always wanted to get some pixel blocks  :)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

How many colors are they available in?  There had better be 512.

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/11/2007, 07:18 PMHow many colors are they available in?  There had better be 512.
The answer is 20...make it work!
IMG

Joe Redifer

Kitsunexus

Thinkgeek also has these for sale, but probably with ridiculous markup.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/11/2007, 07:45 PMWhat do you think I am, a Genesis programmer?
Actually Joe, you bring up a good point.  Since the Turbo has many more colors available to choose from than the NES (which is the most popular creation with PixelBlocks) creating sprites with only 20 colors can be more difficult...

...however, it can be done with minimal loss in color and still look really close to the original.  The next sprite I want to create is the ship from Soldier Blade.  Below you see the original sprite on the left, made up of 17 colors.  When converted to PixelBlocks (via my own preferences mind you) the converted sprite looses about 6 colors, being made up of 11 colors in total.

IMG
(changes in color had to be made to conform to the pallet available from PixelBlocks)

Something like a sprite from Lords of Thunder would be more difficult to create with PixelBlocks (with the limited 20 color pallet) due to the shades they use in the game...but again with some pallet changes it can be done.

The down side is that well, this isn't cheap.  The "Bonk Smiley" alone cost $30.34 (3 colors+tax+ground shipping).  The Soldier Blade ship will cost me an additional $73.67 (with tax & shipping).
IMG

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 10/12/2007, 02:23 AMThinkgeek also has these for sale, but probably with ridiculous markup.
The pack they have for sale is the 1200 piece set which is the same price at pixelblocks.com so not bad.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Ceti Alpha

Damn that's nice FX.  =D> But yeah, that stuff ain't cheap either.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Turbo D

Ya, the price is the only thing that has deterred me from creating pixel creatures  :(
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

Any requests for other Turbo related sprites people would like to see?  I just bought the colors for the Soldier Blade w/exhaust and will keep spending money on this for a bit so I'm open to suggestions.
IMG

Turbo D

IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

PCEngineFX

Let's see....Richter has...16 colors, but is made up of a ton of non-standard shades and a from the looks of it, a lot of brown (legs, arms).  I'll have to see what it looks like converted in photoshop first.
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

PCEngineFX

IMG

PCEngineFX

Whohoo!  Just got my new order of PixelBlocks.  Assembling the Soldier Blade ship now....
IMG

Ceti Alpha

QuoteAssembling the Soldier Blade ship now....
Saaaaweeeeeet!!!!   :dance:
IMG

Joe Redifer

Here is the Legendary Axe hawk Keranu is probably talking about.  I ripped the sprite for you.  Only 8 colors or so.

legendarybird.png

CrackTiger

I request the ugly hawk from JJ & Jeff  :mrgreen: .

IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

PCEngineFX

Here is (in essence) a $100 pixel block creation.  I ran out of clear blocks so I had to make the exhaust smaller...I might downsize it even more as I don't like how the exhaust turned out.

IMG

IMG
IMG

Keranu

IMG

PCEngineFX

I also want to point out sizes - the Bonk smiley is only 4.5inch, where the Soldier Blade sprite is whomping 14.5inches long
IMG

Ceti Alpha

IMG

Keranu

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 10/18/2007, 12:29 AMI also want to point out sizes - the Bonk smiley is only 4.5inch, where the Soldier Blade sprite is whomping 14.5inches long
Oh wow, thanks for pointing that out because I thought the Bonk smiley was a lot bigger, like 12 inches or so!
IMG

Joe Redifer

Cool, but I agree about the thrust.  Next time pick a smaller sprite!!1!  :)

PCEngineFX

Soldier Blade with fixed thrust area and stand (non Photoshopped):

IMG
IMG

Keranu

Better! I really like the lighting in that picture!
IMG

nat

Call me crazy but I actually like the thrust in the original better.

Turbo D

IMG IMG
IMG

Kitsunexus

spenoza

So, can you, like, pixel double that and add a 2XSAI Eagle filter? I think that would be teh roxors.

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineFX

IMG

Turbo D

IMG IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 10/21/2007, 01:14 AMWait, we still talking about pixelblocks? :P
I was talking pixelblocks, but if the wife's into a little role playing.....
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!