OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Should I pick up this Sony Trinitron?

Started by mitsuman, 04/22/2017, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Quote from: Winniez on 05/15/2017, 07:38 PMAre you guys seriously happy with the sub 10inch screens? I know the picture quality is great on PVMs but that sounds like a really big compromise to me.
IMG
IMG
IMG

Hell yes.

I admit, I like to blast music through subwoofers+speakers.

If that will disturb my family, I plug in fat over-the-ear headphones.

For me, audio is *crucial* for making it immersive. I actually become quite frustrated if I can't adjust audio to my preferences (if a game has horrible audio, I won't blast it, lest I stab my ears with a Push-Pop).

I wear glasses, but my eyesight is very good— I guess (?) —no little detail gets past me if I am playing, even on a tiny screen.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gypsy

Quote from: GohanX on 05/15/2017, 09:10 PMThe Commodore 64 monitor is really sweet for gaming. I keep one in the closet as a backup, I've had it for almost 20 years now.
Besides composite these things have pretty funky inputs right? I've actually not seen one in person but I vaguely remember reading about that. It would be neat to have and I would definitely pick one up in person but they don't seem prevalent at all in my area and shipping would be murder (monetarily and the item might not survive).

Quote from: Winniez on 05/15/2017, 07:38 PMAre you guys seriously happy with the sub 10inch screens? I know the picture quality is great on PVMs but that sounds like a really big compromise to me.
For me this is more of a cheap test drive. If I really like the look, I'll get more serious about picking up a 13-14'' unit which is definitely enough screen size for me. I've always got my beast XBR when I want to sit farther back.

crazydean

Quote from: Gypsy on 05/15/2017, 04:27 PM
Quote from: jperryss on 05/15/2017, 04:00 PM
Quote from: Gypsy on 05/15/2017, 02:06 PMGot a tiny little baby pvm on the way. 9'' Ikegami. Tops out at SVideo. Was pretty much dirt cheap considering shipping. I was actually thinking about having a family member pick it up (for safety reasons) as it's in SE Michigan where a lot of my family is but I realized it will probably be at least a year before I'm up there again.

Anyway I'm intrigued to try it out, hopefully it survives the trip.
I still have an 8" Sony PVM. It's portable and has a handle on top so it's easy to just move it to where I need it to quickly test a console or a cable. Kinda tough to play games on it for any period of time.

I've tested various 8/16-bit consoles on a few different monitors and often s-video is almost as good as RGB. The difference between composite and s-video is night and day.
Yeah I'm not sure about it. I grew up old PC gaming on a small monitor so maybe. I'll see how it feels. I've actually been playing some mildly old PC games lately on a 19'' monitor. I know that's over twice as big, which is kind of crazy to think about.
The difference between 8" and 19" is actually more than 4x.

Screen size is measured diagonally meaning that a 5" screen in 4:3 is 4" by 3", therefore 12 sq in. A 10" screen is 8x6" meaning 48 sq in.

Using the known identity of a 3:4:5 triangle, an 8" screen has 4.8x6.4" so 30.72 sq in. Where a 19" screen is 11.4x15.2" so 173.28 sq in. So about 5.6x (!) the screen size.

jperryss

Quote from: esteban on 05/15/2017, 09:30 PMIf that will disturb my family, I plug in fat over-the-ear headphones.

For me, audio is *crucial* for making it immersive. I actually become quite frustrated if I can't adjust audio to my preferences (if a game has horrible audio, I won't blast it, lest I stab my ears with a Push-Pop).
I don't crank the volume too loud, but there's nothing quite like gaming with a decent pair of isolating headphones. Even a cheap pair can do wonders for immersion as you said, especially for handheld gaming. That first time using them with the DSi was magical and I rarely play it without them now.

Quote from: crazydean on 05/15/2017, 09:49 PMThe difference between 8" and 19" is actually more than 4x.

Screen size is measured diagonally meaning that a 5" screen in 4:3 is 4" by 3", therefore 12 sq in. A 10" screen is 8x6" meaning 48 sq in.

Using the known identity of a 3:4:5 triangle, an 8" screen has 4.8x6.4" so 30.72 sq in. Where a 19" screen is 11.4x15.2" so 173.28 sq in. So about 5.6x (!) the screen size.
Pizza math!

GohanX

Quote from: Gypsy on 05/15/2017, 09:35 PM
Quote from: GohanX on 05/15/2017, 09:10 PMThe Commodore 64 monitor is really sweet for gaming. I keep one in the closet as a backup, I've had it for almost 20 years now.
Besides composite these things have pretty funky inputs right? I've actually not seen one in person but I vaguely remember reading about that. It would be neat to have and I would definitely pick one up in person but they don't seem prevalent at all in my area and shipping would be murder (monetarily and the item might not survive).

For me this is more of a cheap test drive. If I really like the look, I'll get more serious about picking up a 13-14'' unit which is definitely enough screen size for me. I've always got my beast XBR when I want to sit farther back.
The 1701 is the one I have, it has composite in the front but it has separate Luma and Chroma plugs on the back. You can order a cheap adapter cable to convert those to svideo, it looks fantastic. The 1084 has RGB also but I've heard the image isn't as sharp.

Winniez

Some of my mates often ask what should I buy with the DS, DSi, 3DS, 3DS Xl, New 3ds etc.
I always answer pair of Porta Pros and a decant carrying case. Actually I used to say that back in the GBA days aswell.

Gypsy

Quote from: jperryss on 05/15/2017, 09:53 PMI don't crank the volume too loud, but there's nothing quite like gaming with a decent pair of isolating headphones. Even a cheap pair can do wonders for immersion as you said, especially for handheld gaming. That first time using them with the DSi was magical and I rarely play it without them now.
Right on, no need to use Nintendo's shitty speakers.

Quote from: GohanX on 05/15/2017, 09:55 PMThe 1701 is the one I have, it has composite in the front but it has separate Luma and Chroma plugs on the back. You can order a cheap adapter cable to convert those to svideo, it looks fantastic. The 1084 has RGB also but I've heard the image isn't as sharp.
Good to know.

crazydean

Quote from: jperryss on 05/15/2017, 09:53 PMPizza math!
Yes! Because its size rating increases linearly but its surface area increases as a square. Alternatively, if you want to know the comparison between screen sizes, you just square their comparative sizes i.e. (19/8)^2=5.64x

deubeul

Quote from: esteban on 05/15/2017, 09:30 PMIMG
Hey :shock:!  That tennokoe looks exactly like one I made and sold !

jperryss

Quote from: Winniez on 05/15/2017, 09:57 PMSome of my mates often ask what should I buy with the DS, DSi, 3DS, 3DS Xl, New 3ds etc.
I always answer pair of Porta Pros and a decant carrying case. Actually I used to say that back in the GBA days aswell.
The Porta Pros are awesome for the price. I prefer closed-back headphones for gaming and I'm a big fan of the Audio Technica ART series (for gaming and music). The M40 and M50 are also highly regarded but I didn't like the fit of them.

Gypsy

I know when I game, only my Sennheiser HD 800 S will do!!

Except actually I tend to just use those for music mostly, maybe PC gaming. I also have a Spirit Focal Classic but for stuff like playing DS games this beater pair of Phillips SHP9500 is honestly good enough.

jperryss

Quote from: Gypsy on 05/16/2017, 08:32 AMI know when I game, only my Sennheiser HD 800 S will do!!

Except actually I tend to just use those for music mostly, maybe PC gaming. I also have a Spirit Focal Classic but for stuff like playing DS games this beater pair of Phillips SHP9500 is honestly good enough.
OK, moneybags.   :mrgreen:

But seriously, those SHP9500s are awesome and definitely punch above their weight. I use them in my desktop setup with a cMoy amp. Total cost was about $135 and it sounds fantastic.

/shp.jpg

The most I've ever spent on headphones was around $350-$400 each for lightly-used RS1s and a mint set of CIB HD650s and even that felt a little dirty. I kept both for about a year and ended up selling them.

Gypsy

Yeah they really are not bad at all. I would recommend them at their current price point for someone that just wants a solid pair of headphones.

esteban

Quote from: Gypsy on 05/16/2017, 08:49 AMYeah they really are not bad at all. I would recommend them at their current price point for someone that just wants a solid pair of headphones.
Hmmm, I have really cheap-ass headphones.

Monoprice $25

I think I might invest in a nice pair of headphones...but I don't think I could spend over $120-140 due to my budget....

I am going to look at the various models suggested above... I find it so frustrating trying to "research" headphones.... I trust you guys more than a random review.

jperryss

Quote from: esteban on 05/16/2017, 09:22 AMI think I might invest in a nice pair of headphones...but I don't think I could spend over $120-140 due to my budget....

I am going to look at the various models suggested above... I find it so frustrating trying to "research" headphones.... I trust you guys more than a random review.

The SHP9500s are about $60-70 on Amazon or eBay. I run mine off of a small amplifier which was another $60 or so, but these headphones really don't need an amp and I mainly use it because I already had it. They are open-back headphones so they will leak sound and won't block out noise around you. That may or may not be an issue depending on where you'll be using them.

The Audio Technica M30/40/50 are all highly-reviewed and range from about $60-$140. They are closed-back and will do a better job of isolating sound. I really like the fit and sound of the AT ART series but they might be a bit out of your price range. The Sennheiser HD280s are about $100 and if isolating yourself from the outside world is #1 priority, go with these.

GohanX

I found some random ass Sony MDR-7506 Sony headphones at a used store for $9.99. They're pretty damn awesome for gaming and movie watching. I still haven't decided if I like them more than my good Sennheisers, they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

jperryss

That was a great find, the MDR7506s are legendary. Haven't had an opportunity to try them yet.

SignOfZeta

My radio station uses MDR7506 and while I don't think I'd ever buy them myself they are really good. They don't *look* tough, but they are. I have a pair of Pioneer DJ headphones that look hella tough but in reality broke in more ways and faster than any headphones I've ever had.

On a budget I suggest whatever Sennheiser you can afford. "Sennheiser - When you're through fucking with everyone else's garbage."
IMG

GohanX

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD598's I picked up last year. Outstanding headphones. I haven't decided which I like better, they are good at different things.

mitsuman

SignOfZeta

Pending condition, it looks perfect. Go get it.
IMG

Gypsy

Quote from: esteban on 05/16/2017, 09:22 AM
Quote from: Gypsy on 05/16/2017, 08:49 AMYeah they really are not bad at all. I would recommend them at their current price point for someone that just wants a solid pair of headphones.
Hmmm, I have really cheap-ass headphones.

Monoprice $25

I think I might invest in a nice pair of headphones...but I don't think I could spend over $120-140 due to my budget....

Well, you can safely skip checking the price of the Sennheiser HD 800 S.  :dance:

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/16/2017, 03:24 PMMy radio station uses MDR7506 and while I don't think I'd ever buy them myself they are really good. They don't *look* tough, but they are. I have a pair of Pioneer DJ headphones that look hella tough but in reality broke in more ways and faster than any headphones I've ever had.

On a budget I suggest whatever Sennheiser you can afford. "Sennheiser - When you're through fucking with everyone else's garbage."
Sennheiser is love. Absolutely.

Quote from: mitsuman on 05/16/2017, 04:22 PMWhat about this one?

https://evansville.craigslist.org/ele/6102105688.html
Go for it brotato chip. Best of luck.

esteban

Quote from: GohanX on 05/16/2017, 04:06 PMI have a pair of Sennheiser HD598's I picked up last year. Outstanding headphones. I haven't decided which I like better, they are good at different things.
Quote from: jperryss on 05/16/2017, 09:53 AM
Quote from: esteban on 05/16/2017, 09:22 AMI think I might invest in a nice pair of headphones...but I don't think I could spend over $120-140 due to my budget....

The SHP9500s are about $60-70 on Amazon or eBay. I run mine off of a small amplifier which was another $60 or so, but these headphones really don't need an amp and I mainly use it because I already had it. They are open-back headphones so they will leak sound and won't block out noise around you. That may or may not be an issue depending on where you'll be using them.

The Audio Technica M30/40/50 are all highly-reviewed and range from about $60-$140. They are closed-back and will do a better job of isolating sound. I really like the fit and sound of the AT ART series but they might be a bit out of your price range. The Sennheiser HD280s are about $100 and if isolating yourself from the outside world is #1 priority, go with these.
Quote from: GohanX on 05/16/2017, 10:01 AMI found some random ass Sony MDR-7506 Sony headphones at a used store for $9.99. They're pretty damn awesome for gaming and movie watching. I still haven't decided if I like them more than my good Sennheisers, they each have their strengths and weaknesses.
Gentlemen, thank you.

I looked up all of these and I am going to get one of them. I'm going to just choose one, and not belabor it like I normally do.

When I was a kid, my dad gave me his old pair of Koss4A?? (A TANK....1970's heavy green metal) headphones and I listened to everything, including NES/TG-16/TG-CD/etc.  with them (I ran audio to receiver).

Holy crap, did my ears get pinched, hot and sweaty in those things.

I wonder if the "over the ear" Sennheiser is the way to go...it will allow me to hear a screaming child in an emergency, but otherwise I can ignore the damn kids.

GohanX

Those Sennheisers I got are good for that. They block out most everything but aren't completely isolated. I can't hear anything outside with the Sonys.

The only catch on the Senns is that they lack bass. That's not to say that it doesn't have bass, just that it's a very neutral sound. If you're playing rap or something that digs deep you'll get the bass, but if you're playing rock you might think that the headphones have no bass. This isn't true, it just doesn't have the bass cranked like a lot of headphones. The Sonys are kind of the same way, but if you've got them hooked up to a receiver and your playing a bass track those things can dig DEEP. Dracula X rocked my face the other day.

I can't speak for the other headphones, but between the two I really like the Sonys better for watching movies or gaming. I prefer the Sennheisers for music. The Senns are also a lot more comfortable for longer sessions and can sound reasonably good from a portable device. The Sonys really need some power to run well, they are great connected to my receiver but fall flat connected to my MP3 player, even with a headphone amp.

SignOfZeta

Over the ear headphones are the only headphones. Everything else is a toy.
IMG

xcrement5x

QuoteHas coax, s-video, RCA and RGB inputs with remote.
Pretty sure that must be component, not actual RGB.

Winniez

I have had a pair of Sennheiser HD600 for 15 years now as my main headphones. To say that I have got my moneys worth is an understatement. I use headphones a lot and have calculated that they have been on my head for around 2 or 3 years :) The funny thing is taking account the inflation they have remained very similarily priced for the past 15 years, I think I paid 200e in 2002.
Expensive spare parts and fragile standard cable are my only complaint but its not that big issue anymore, you can get fairly good quality ear cushions from China and use the more durable HD650 cable.
I sometimes lust over the HD800s but the high initial cost and especially the "running cost" (meaning replacement ear cushions etc.) are kind of deal breakers for me.
I also have a pair of HD580s that I got cheap used as a spare set and numerous Porta Pros.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 05/17/2017, 01:44 PM

QuoteHas coax, s-video, RCA and RGB inputs with remote.
Pretty sure that must be component, not actual RGB.
Very likely the person is just saying RGB because of the colors of the connectors.

Oh and back to the screen size thing. I was in a thrift a little bit back and was looking at their smaller tvs, including an 8-inch set. I think I will definitely be fine to game on this 9'' PVM until I can find a bigger one. 240p stuff only though.

Quote from: Winniez on 05/17/2017, 01:46 PMI have had a pair of Sennheiser HD600 for 15 years now as my main headphones. To say that I have got my moneys worth is an understatement. I use headphones a lot and have calculated that they have been on my head for around 2 or 3 years :) The funny thing is taking account the inflation they have remained very similarily priced for the past 15 years, I think I paid 200e in 2002.
Expensive spare parts and fragile standard cable are my only complaint but its not that big issue anymore, you can get fairly good quality ear cushions from China and use the more durable HD650 cable.
I sometimes lust over the HD800s but the high initial cost and especially the "running cost" (meaning replacement ear cushions etc.) are kind of deal breakers for me.
I also have a pair of HD580s that I got cheap used as a spare set and numerous Porta Pros.
Probably depends where you are at financially. I have no regrets. But yeah it's a lot to pay for headphones. I paid $1349 and I can't imagine they are much less anywhere for a legit pair. The pair you have is a damn fine pair in that price range imo.

SignOfZeta

A good pair of headphones is your best friend. Provides tunes, drowns out the psychos, keeps your ears warm, everything.
IMG

Gypsy

Thrilled with the monitor, played quite a bit of Zeroigar on it tonight. Will definitely try to find a bigger one.

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/17/2017, 03:33 PMA good pair of headphones is your best friend. Provides tunes, drowns out the psychos, keeps your ears warm, everything.
This is so damn true.

Gypsy

Something very interesting popped up locally. I will update when I get (or don't) it.

esteban

Quote from: Gypsy on 05/19/2017, 07:25 PMSomething very interesting popped up locally. I will update when I get (or don't) it.
I told you it would happen once you stopped taking the lithium.

It called an "erection".

TheClash603

Quote from: esteban on 05/19/2017, 08:51 PM
Quote from: Gypsy on 05/19/2017, 07:25 PMSomething very interesting popped up locally. I will update when I get (or don't) it.
I told you it would happen once you stopped taking the lithium.

It called an "erection".

Dibs on the lithium.

Gypsy

I went near ROFLMAO's neck of the woods and picked up a Sony 14M4U. It's in fantastic shape and hadn't been used in 10+ years (video production/editing studio). He also had some 20s but those sold within an hour of the CL posting (lol).

johnnykonami

I didn't hear back from the PVM guy who sorta gave me the run around, but today I went out and I got a JVC D-Series 27" for free.  I'm pretty happy with it, got my Saturn and Super Famicom connected to it via Scart -> component and they look decent.  I was struggling for a little bit to get the picture to look just right until I noticed (like 15 minutes later) that the red component cable had fallen out of my component/scart converter.  Plugged it back in and everything went from looking dull and colorless (which I presumed was the TV's fault at first) to bright and clear.  Next I want to get my PCE setup going, then after that maybe genny/feka CD.

Keith Courage

I'm sure others will have different opinions but I have not been happy with any of the Sony Trinitron CRT televisions that I have owned. they all looked pretty crapy with S-Video compared to other CRT televisions that I've used. then again this could probably have to do with the year and model. Toshiba is my CRT television brand of choice.

with that being said any CRT television will probably look better on composite video than what you are using now. Also, is it weird that I get angry when I see pictures of people playing anything 32 bit or older on a newer TV.

Gypsy

I've had very good experiences with Toshiba and JVC. I'm all Sony (on CRTs anyway) right now, but it's just coincidence and what was available easily for cheap. I think Sony gets put on a pedestal due to name recognition.

I can't say I've used enough SVideo to comment on that. PC-FX looks great with Svideo on this PVM though.

roflmao

I recently swapped out my 20" Sony WEGA for a 27" Toshiba. The Sony is great for lugging around, and has a fantastic picture, but the Toshiba looks just as good, imo, and has more inputs. And it still has that slick 16:9 mode for widescreen games and DVDs!

And to throw some more Sennheiser love out there, I have a pair of HD 380s at work and love them.

esteban

UPDATE: I think I'll buy Sennheisers for Father's Day.

GohanX

mitsuman

I picked up 6 CRTs this morning. 2 of them are 20-something inches, the others are smaller. Pretty much low end brands, but they were free. Zenith,a couple insignias, and some I don't remember right now.  It was a take all of them situation.
And all of them work.

Going to keep one, and give/sell/trade the others.