OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

In-game symptoms of laser or bad cap problems?

Started by md5fungi, 12/13/2018, 07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

md5fungi

Hey everyone - there's a lot of terrific information on this forum (and on the greater internet) about how to go about adjusting pots for your system's laser, replacing caps, etc.

However, I'm failing to find a lot of clear examples of in-game symptoms of these problems, specifically the symptoms I'm seeing.

I have a PC-Engine Duo RX and all my HuCards work flawlessly without issue, and most of my CDs do. However, I have three games that seem to stop playing music at certain points (but the sound effects continue). Burning these games has no effect - the music drops out unexpectedly and doesn't come back. There are no strange audio artifacts... The music just stops.

Is this related to bad caps or does my laser pot need an adjustment? Are there predictable in-game symptoms of these sorts of issues?

I also attempted to back up games on Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs, but I can't seem to play them from this media. Memorex CD-Rs work, though...

md5fungi

To provide a little detail of what I do know/suspect, I would think that one or more bad caps could be causing the audio cut-out, though as I stated, no noisy artifacts.

As far as the laser pots, I would think that maybe I would have to adjust vr405 since most everything plays flawlessly, but not everything?

Keith Courage

Probably just lens adjustment+re-greasing of the lens rails needed. I'd try just cleaning and re-greasing the lens rails first. I rarely come across a DUO-R or RX that needs new caps.

md5fungi

Oh cool - I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the advice!

NightWolve

Quote from: md5fungi on 12/13/2018, 07:44 PMI have a PC-Engine Duo RX and all my HuCards work flawlessly without issue, and most of my CDs do. However, I have three games that seem to stop playing music at certain points (but the sound effects continue). Burning these games has no effect - the music drops out unexpectedly and doesn't come back. There are no strange audio artifacts... The music just stops.
You're very much in luck based on what you described, you should be able to fix this yourself! :)

Good thing about that is you avoid risk to the laser assembly which is fragile and can be damaged during shipping back'n'forth between you and somebody else (besides saving yourself the cost for repair/shipping).

As Keith mentioned, this is a lube problem, and I already did a write-up years ago to help:

Quote"Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TG-CD: Grease is dried up. Symptoms and Solution."
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=7012.msg296648#msg296648
But quick recap: The laser's slider pole has ~25 year old dried-up grease at this point (as old as the console), the laser unit has lost agility as a result, so a good cleaning of the old grease with say alcohol, and application of new white lithium grease will do the trick!

I recommend freeing the slide motor (2 glued screws, it's tough) if you can which will let you move the whole laser unit freely, and also to clean/lubricate all sprockets, not just the pole, etc. In short, fresh grease needs to go everywhere there's old grease!

I assume you know you also need a 4.5mm game security bit which you can easily find on eBay to be able to open NEC consoles. The white lithium grease you can purchase at most any hardware store.

IMG

Funny thing, I used petroleum jelly when I had this audio cut off problem, it would work normally again for a year or two, before drying up and leading to the same problem. That was the poor man's way using something already in the home, but obviously not appropriate for a long-term solution. Somebody here once talked about a better grease, Molykote, what's used for joysticks, but I dunno if you wanna experiment just yet.

P. S.

Do *not* touch any of the 3 CD potentiometers, this should just strictly be a grease/lubrication problem.

md5fungi

Awesome! The explanation in your write-up makes sense and I'm glad to see that it matches my symptoms exactly.

I appreciate all the kind help! Will get my system greased up so I can commence the gaming!