RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Best RGB mod for PC-Engine Duo? (non-R)

Started by burn_654, 10/25/2012, 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burn_654

I've seen a lot of mods in these threads but I'm curious - which RGB mod would people recommend overall for the Duo?

Is there one that would go recommended in terms of video quality, color balance, ease of install, relative safety of the circuit (I hear of the simple transistor mod but there's rumors that it could cause problems down the line...any truth to that?)

I'm fairly capable to do most of the mods. So far I've done  a pretty hefty recap and the region switch mod. I'm just wondering nowadays, which RGB mod should I consider?

Thanks!
Quote from: RegalSinYou know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

Frank_fjs

That's a good question and one that doesn't appear to have a definitive answer.

The transistor mod looks great and is nice and cheap/simple, it also plays nicely with component encoders. I too have heard the 'rumours' but have yet to see anyone report any problems as of yet. Maybe it's fine to use the transistor amp or maybe it's too early for damage to be appearing, who knows?

The other and probably more popular method seems to be this old design here:
pce_rgb.jpg

What I would find very interesting though is to discover what type of circuitry NEC used for the RGB signal in the PC-KD863G (NEC Multisync RGB Monitor). This information would be invaluable in determining how best to construct an RGB amp.

burn_654

The playing nicely with a component encoder is an important aspect for me - my proposed setup project in the making is a diy transcoder using the BA6592F encoder (recently discovered in some early SNES models, interesting chip) to turn RGB into YUV. That'll then go to a 36' Trinitron crt with component. The end results should be nothing short of fantastic if done right.

The 'old' amp you posted looks like what I expected of the 'easy transistor' mod with some more components, is this a fair assumption? Anyone have comments on this one?

I'm interested in the PC-KD863G setup as well, there's a new owner of one in the PC Engine discussion that may be able to get some pictures for us.
Quote from: RegalSinYou know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

Frank_fjs