The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

Xbox One

Started by Arkhan Asylum, 05/21/2013, 01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roflmao

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/20/2013, 08:34 AMI guess they stopped. This is what I got:
Funny, it just worked for me.  :-k

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 06/19/2013, 05:52 PM
Quote from: TheOldMan on 06/19/2013, 05:44 PMSorry, guys, but I won't be buying either one.
As for M$oft reversing its position, all I can say is .....
"Hey sony! Where's my ps2 compatibility other OS?"

In 3 years, once its -in- your house, a firmware update will put it back in....
Fixed that for ya.  They never took away the backwards compatibility, they just quit selling it.
It wouldn't have come off as crooked if they simply did that or if they never had any kind of backwards compatibily in the first place. They cut that feature without cutting the proportionate price of the new bundles and then began selling digital emulated versions of old Playstation games. It would have been cool if the digital versions could be downloaded and run for free as long as a hard copy of the game sits in the disc drive. But they purposefully set out to gouge their previous customers by making them pay full price to play their existing playstation games on the current system. It's cool that there was a bit of freedom for playing digital games. But even if Microsoft wasn't doing it for free at the time, Sony should have made it part of the deal for digital Playstation sales that each old game listed for sale has an unlockable download. Kind of like Xbox Arcade games having a demo version available.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Don't they all have PS1 backwards compatibility?  I don't think that was ever removed.

As for PS2 b.c., the first non-b.c. system (40gb) was $100 cheaper than any earlier system; and when the original 80gb b.c. system was dropped for a non-b.c. version, it too was $100 cheaper.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

NightWolve

Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/21/2013, 02:27 PMThey cut that feature without cutting the proportionate price of the new bundles and then began selling digital emulated versions of old Playstation games. ... But they purposefully set out to gouge their previous customers by making them pay full price to play their existing playstation games on the current system.
Oh, so there was no cost cutting in doing this (however small), as in less chips or circuitry in the design, it's a total software emulator and they simply began excluding it ?? If so, yeah, that was a shitty thing to do. I have to buy the system eventually, I did buy one game, Metal Gear Solid 4, so I'd like to play it some day... I guess I could just borrow the system from a neighbor/friend I know that has one. Since the system is dying, with PS4 on the way, I dunno if I should ever really dig into the library the way that I did for PS2. BUT, since I have a decent PS2 library, I would like to own the version that is backwards compatible so I can make eventual use of that HDMI connection. That's a bigger selling point for me in eventually wanting to own it.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: NecroPhile on 06/21/2013, 04:23 PMDon't they all have PS1 backwards compatibility?  I don't think that was ever removed.

As for PS2 b.c., the first non-b.c. system (40gb) was $100 cheaper than any earlier system; and when the original 80gb b.c. system was dropped for a non-b.c. version, it too was $100 cheaper.
Yeah, I could be wrong, but I believe all PS3's play PS1 discs thankfully.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: NightWolve on 06/21/2013, 08:17 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/21/2013, 02:27 PMThey cut that feature without cutting the proportionate price of the new bundles and then began selling digital emulated versions of old Playstation games. ... But they purposefully set out to gouge their previous customers by making them pay full price to play their existing playstation games on the current system.
Oh, so there was no cost cutting in doing this (however small), as in less chips or circuitry in the design, it's a total software emulator and they simply began excluding it ?? If so, yeah, that was a shitty thing to do. I have to buy the system eventually, I did buy one game, Metal Gear Solid 4, so I'd like to play it some day... I guess I could just borrow the system from a neighbor/friend I know that has one. Since the system is dying, with PS4 on the way, I dunno if I should ever really dig into the library the way that I did for PS2. BUT, since I have a decent PS2 library, I would like to own the version that is backwards compatible so I can make eventual use of that HDMI connection. That's a bigger selling point for me in eventually wanting to own it.
PS3 that have the bc in it for PS2 games are the following.

60GB
20GB
40GB

Then with the later models it's dropped but all can play PS1 games.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

geise

Not all 40GB PS3's play ps2 games.  Mine is a 40gb old model and they will not work on mine.

BTW does the PS3 do any upscaling with ps2 games going through HDMI? 

MotherGunner

Quote from: geise on 06/24/2013, 08:29 AMNot all 40GB PS3's play ps2 games.  Mine is a 40gb old model and they will not work on mine.

BTW does the PS3 do any upscaling with ps2 games going through HDMI? 
All PS3 do still play PS1 games though!  Yes, upscaling on both PS1 and PS2 on the BC models, all PS1 otherwise.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

seieienbu

Finally an explanation of why Kinect is always on:

www.vg247.com/2013/07/04/xbox-one-built-with-advertising-in-mind-kinect-integral-to-next-gen-adverts/comment-page-1/#comment-507499

The answer is targeted advertising.  I've played my 360 a bunch over the years.  The only 2 things that I've ever used it for are playing games and buying games off of the XB marketplace.  There are other features on the thing to, but I don't care about them.  If I want to watch a video I'll use my computer.  I don't want my gaming platform to give me ads. 

Quote from: articleOn Xbox, the ad is part of the actual experience, it's not something that is outside. The only difference is that the advertisement we have is quite small and not disruptive so people are not aware of clicking on the banners because they know this is a part of the whole experience on the dash," said the Senior Digital Art Director/UX Designer. "So the users know that this is something that when they click on it, they won't be hit by something crazy or something dangerous like on the web. Everything that lands there, we create.
Call me a skeptic but I honestly just don't believe this article.  I don't think there will be commercials in my games or anything, but I highly doubt I'll ever forget that I'm seeing an ad when I'm seeing an ad.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esadajr

Quote from: seieienbu on 07/04/2013, 10:04 AMI don't want my gaming platform to give me ads.
Exactly, I just want to put the game in the console and play it. As simple as that. No ads, no promos, no updates, no DLCs, no upsells.

(censored) these (censored).
Gaming since 1985

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: esadajr on 07/04/2013, 12:38 PM
Quote from: seieienbu on 07/04/2013, 10:04 AMI don't want my gaming platform to give me ads.
Exactly, I just want to put the game in the console and play it. As simple as that. No ads, no promos, no updates, no DLCs, no upsells.

(censored) these (censored).
This is the trouble when Marketing Execs take over product development.  They just want too nickle and dime people left and right, charge people as many times as possible.  It makes me sick, the greed is dripping and I just can't justify moving forward, we may even have another Video Game Crash if we are not careful.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

_Paul

wildfruit

i can think of a few examplesfrom the past
cool spot
mcdonalds games
i think there was a dominos game on the nes as well but at least you had a choice to buy or not
this forced advertising is ridiculous

seieienbu

The Dominos game was Yo Noid.  Burger King had some promotion at the end of old xbox/early xbox 360 where you'd play the King mascot in some stealth game where you'd find people and give them burgers.

futureman2000

Anarchy Online used to have ads for Fanta all over the place. That was pretty funny.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: wildfruit on 07/04/2013, 04:34 PMi can think of a few examplesfrom the past
cool spot
mcdonalds games
i think there was a dominos game on the nes as well but at least you had a choice to buy or not
this forced advertising is ridiculous
Some McDonald's games were VERY good.  McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure comes to mind and kicks some ass.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/04/2013, 04:02 PM/vfpv.png
I remember this at the end of TTi's days... /pcgsad.png
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Lot's of games since the 8-bit generation have ads in them, including TG-16 games. People who don't like them never seem to count game related ads though. You can't play through the first stage of Valis III without a giant flashing neon NEC logo taking up a huge chunk of the screen.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PukeSter

Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/05/2013, 08:04 AMLot's of games since the 8-bit generation have ads in them, including TG-16 games. People who don't like them never seem to count game related ads though. You can't play through the first stage of Valis III without a giant flashing neon NEC logo taking up a huge chunk of the screen.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EOZ3Fojyhf0/SjunZnhB-SI/AAAAAAAAATQ/W1BKTQatyLc/s400/nintendo_fun_club2.png

NecroPhile

I don't mind unobtrusive in-game ads.  I'd rather see 'real' fast food joints, gas stations, billboards, autos, etc. than parody versions, but I don't want them to change to what they think I want; that might lead to some awkward questions like "why are all the billboards for KY and zipper masks?"

esadajr

back in the day, I didn't have to see ads when I turned on my NES, GEN, DC, etc and any in game ad didn't use bandwidth.
Gaming since 1985

CrackTiger

Quote from: esadajr on 07/05/2013, 05:13 PMback in the day, I didn't have to see ads when I turned on my NES, GEN, DC, etc and any in game ad didn't use bandwidth.
If you never saw them, how do you know whether or not they used "bandwidth"?

esteban

Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/05/2013, 08:04 AMLot's of games since the 8-bit generation have ads in them, including TG-16 games. People who don't like them never seem to count game related ads though. You can't play through the first stage of Valis III without a giant flashing neon NEC logo taking up a huge chunk of the screen.
As a kid, when I first got TG-16, I remember wondering what the hell the billboards in Vigilante were promoting: I was 92% certain that they were other games by IREM, but I had no way to verify it. AND THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT MR. HELI (years later). The advertisement worked, and I was so curious to see what kind of game it would be.

STATUS: In-game advertising from 1989 compelled me to purchase the damn item, years later.

CrackTiger

Quote from: esadajr on 07/05/2013, 05:13 PMback in the day, I didn't have to see ads when I turned on my NES, GEN, DC, etc and any in game ad didn't use bandwidth.
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMG

Back when game rom sizes were tiny, memory was priceless. Yet games still wasted that precious bandwidth on ads.

seieienbu

Well, my fingers are crossed for xbox1 ads being as unobtrusive as old 8 and 16 bit were.

TheClash603

Black Tiger coming up with a few of my favorite in game ads from BITD, nice post!

Somebody get a good shot of the Noid throwing out pepper in a pizza eating contest and this portion of the thread may be ended.

Perhaps in NES Ultima Exodus when the persons asks "are you decenants of Link?"

esteban

I suppose there is a difference between simply referencing pop culture (Thighmaster and Working Designs, Ultima referencing Link) versus deliberate marketing/branding...

CrackTiger

Quote from: esteban on 07/07/2013, 08:45 AMI suppose there is a difference between simply referencing pop culture (Thighmaster and Working Designs, Ultima referencing Link) versus deliberate marketing/branding...
Back when games were intended for children though, developers/publishers shouldn't have expected their intended audience to make those kinds of distinctions.

When it comes to WD games, it is a completely failed "pop culture reference" and complete (if unintended) advertisement when you wander through a fantasy world, with a radically different level of industrialization, and speak to an NPC, who doesn't say something elaborate with a very subtle triple-meaning play-on-words hidden within the dialogue, which happens to reference something from the the huge world of varying pop culture (of which commercials play a tiny part)... but instead the entire character dialogue consists, entirely from start to finish, of an advertising slogan.

There's a big difference between this NPC dialogue with four Burger King slogans:

"Well good morning young adventurer! How are you doing this bright and beautiful morning? What am I doing out here so early in the day you ask? Why, I'm fishing of course! I love this place! This special pond is the only place in all of the Valley of Thunder Foxes in which the rare Tanooki Fish lives. What makes this fish so special compared to the other fish around here? Aside from the fact that it is so rare, if you ask me, it just tastes better! Now, because there are so few Tanooki Fish left, I'm not supposed to be catching them, but sometimes you just gotta break the rules! Please don't tell anyone from Ice Block Village that you saw me out here, especially not Chief Thundercracker. He'd have my head on a spike with all the rest in the Canyon of Sorrow! Look, I've caught one now, help me reel it in! Wow, what a whopper! You and I are going to dine well tonight my purple-skinned friend!"

And this NPC dialogue:

"The Burger King Kids Club! It's just for fun, and just for you!"

esteban

Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/07/2013, 10:44 AM
Quote from: esteban on 07/07/2013, 08:45 AMI suppose there is a difference between simply referencing pop culture (Thighmaster and Working Designs, Ultima referencing Link) versus deliberate marketing/branding...
Back when games were intended for children though, developers/publishers shouldn't have expected their intended audience to make those kinds of distinctions.

When it comes to WD games, it is a completely failed "pop culture reference" and complete (if unintended) advertisement when you wander through a fantasy world, with a radically different level of industrialization, and speak to an NPC, who doesn't say something elaborate with a very subtle triple-meaning play-on-words hidden within the dialogue, which happens to reference something from the the huge world of varying pop culture (of which commercials play a tiny part)... but instead the entire character dialogue consists, entirely from start to finish, of an advertising slogan.

There's a big difference between this NPC dialogue with four Burger King slogans:

"Well good morning young adventurer! How are you doing this bright and beautiful morning? What am I doing out here so early in the day you ask? Why, I'm fishing of course! I love this place! This special pond is the only place in all of the Valley of Thunder Foxes in which the rare Tanooki Fish lives. What makes this fish so special compared to the other fish around here? Aside from the fact that it is so rare, if you ask me, it just tastes better! Now, because there are so few Tanooki Fish left, I'm not supposed to be catching them, but sometimes you just gotta break the rules! Please don't tell anyone from Ice Block Village that you saw me out here, especially not Chief Thundercracker. He'd have my head on a spike with all the rest in the Canyon of Sorrow! Look, I've caught one now, help me reel it in! Wow, what a whopper! You and I are going to dine well tonight my purple-skinned friend!"

And this NPC dialogue:

I hear you. I'm simply making the distinction between "non-profit/no business contract" "fun stuff" thrown into a game (pop cultural references) VERSUS "commercially-motivated" self-promotion/branding (Gradius in Blades of Steel), paid product placement, business deals sealed with contracts, etc.

SO...I don't mind pop cultural references to a commercial product, as long as nobody is trying to sell me something. This is a principle, but I'm sure there are some really clever/funny advertisements in modern games, I just don't want to pay for a game and still feel like I'm being targeted as a customer (I want to feel as if the game experience itself takes priority—ha! I'm naive. The industry seems to be heading towards 24-7 ads served to consumers game players.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/07/2013, 10:44 AM

And this NPC dialogue:

The difference being, you often can't fit a short story in there for dialog, but can replace something pointless in Japanese with something pointless in English.

Also, some of those games shown:

California Games:  Real halfpipes at events do the same advertising.  I'd chalk that up to doing it right.
Vigilante:  Perfectly executed plug for another Irem game.

I think what was meant by "bandwidth" was, the ad isn't streaming off the internet somewhere like you see in alot of games now.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esadajr

Quote from: esadajr on 07/05/2013, 05:13 PMback in the day, I didn't have to see ads when I turned on my NES, GEN, DC, etc
No comercials when booting up the console.

Quote from: esadajr on 07/05/2013, 05:13 PMand any in game ad didn't use bandwidth.
Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/05/2013, 05:26 PMIf you never saw them, how do you know whether or not they used "bandwidth"?
Pizza hut in TMNT2, KFC, BK, etc in Crazy Taxi, Castrol in Sega Rally (to name a few). They didn't cosume any bandwidth.
Gaming since 1985

esadajr

I didn't mind a game promoting another. The way companies did it back then (for the most part at least) was fine.
Gaming since 1985

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 05/21/2013, 03:02 PMNo backwards compatibility : Fail
Well it's a bit late but I wonder what the catch is...

IMG

jtucci31

Quote from: Digi.k on 06/15/2015, 06:17 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/21/2013, 03:02 PMNo backwards compatibility : Fail
Well it's a bit late but I wonder what the catch is...

IMG
I heard something about this. Can you use the discs or are they just available for digital download?

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 06/15/2015, 08:05 PMI heard something about this. Can you use the discs or are they just available for digital download?
Discs have to be in the system but can't be played natively from the disc. You will get a digital download of the game on your xbox one hdd. So far I think MS, EA, Ubisoft, and Bethesda.

I doubt companies like Rockstar will even sign on to the compatibility since they like to remaster their games

SuperGrafx

That's pretty cool!  Good win for Microsoft!

NecroPhile

Good for MS for doing something good for their customers.

Opethian

so will this play arcade cdrom games with out the use of the arcade card?
IMG

Digi.k

kinda trying this out now.  Popped in Mass Effect 1 and now waiting for the Digital Copy to download... 7gb....

I'm on the preview program tho...

sirhcman

Quote from: Digi.k on 06/16/2015, 12:20 PMkinda trying this out now.  Popped in Mass Effect 1 and now waiting for the Digital Copy to download... 7gb....

Let me know how it works out. I haven't even fired on my One in awhile but wish I was in the preview program now! :(

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 06/16/2015, 12:48 PM
Quote from: Digi.k on 06/16/2015, 12:20 PMkinda trying this out now.  Popped in Mass Effect 1 and now waiting for the Digital Copy to download... 7gb....

Let me know how it works out. I haven't even fired on my One in awhile but wish I was in the preview program now! :(
what's your gamertag?  I see if I can add you.  Just remember tho. you will be doing beta testing for MS updates which means testing their updates before they become official.  It might end up screwing your console!  You still want in ?

sirhcman

Quote from: Digi.k on 06/16/2015, 01:32 PM

what's your gamertag?  I see if I can add you.  Just remember tho. you will be doing beta testing for MS updates which means testing their updates before they become official.  It might end up screwing your console!  You still want in ?
Sure, in for 1 screwed up console!

gamertag is sirhcman :)

Thanks!

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 06/16/2015, 01:49 PM
Quote from: Digi.k on 06/16/2015, 01:32 PM

Sure, in for 1 screwed up console!

gamertag is sirhcman :)

Thanks!
Oh I have  'friended' you already.  Ok I've invited ya I guess the rest is now up to microsoft to do the rest.  Might take a day or 2.

sirhcman

Sweet! Thanks!!! :)

xcrement5x

This looks pretty neat to come out for the Xbox One:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZMBMO06?ref_=pd_ybh_2

Rare Replay: 30 Hit Games -  One Epic Collection

A bunch of older/remastered Rareware titles.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 06/16/2015, 04:00 PMThis looks pretty neat to come out for the Xbox One:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZMBMO06?ref_=pd_ybh_2

Rare Replay: 30 Hit Games -  One Epic Collection

A bunch of older/remastered Rareware titles.
aye saw that last night on the xbone marketplace.  and just when I was going to concentrate on the pc engine CD-ROM stuff

Digi.k

sirhcman

Cuphead is definitely worth the $19.99 I spent. I will wait for Battle Garegga to go on sale, $34.99 is too high IMO

johnnykonami

Quote from: guest on 09/29/2017, 01:02 PMCuphead is definitely worth the $19.99 I spent. I will wait for Battle Garegga to go on sale, $34.99 is too high IMO
Waiting to get home to load up Cuphead on Steam, I'm pumped.  Gonna play some 2P with the girlfriend!