RetroBlox : Another new Play-Everything "Retro" Console

Started by elmer, 02/01/2017, 12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmer

Quote from: PressReleaseUNLEASH YOUR NOSTALGIA WITH THE RETROBLOX™ MODULAR RETRO GAME CONSOLE

RETROBLOX™ Elevates Retro Games to a New Level Combining Innovative Cartridge-Compatible Element Modules, Disc Game-Compatible Optical Disc Drive, and Online Connectivity features to Create the Ultimate Living-Room Worthy Retro Game Console.
wayback://retroblox.com/press/

Nice renders, overblown description, few real details, industry veterans, going to Kickstarter in April.

Does another emulator-in-a-box excite anyone???

Arkhan Asylum

No, because they're stupid and using the word retro like 900 fucking times in the span of two sentences.

That word needs to be banned from the internet for awhile.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ClodBusted

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/01/2017, 12:14 PMThat word needs to be banned from the internet for awhile.
Along with "rare" and "vintage".

NecroPhile

It's got a CD drive, so that's different.  I actually would buy a Turbob emulator box that output to hdmi, supported bluetooth wireless pads, and played hueys, cds, and roms/isos off a sd card, but only if it used something accurate (Mednafen) and wasn't more expensive than building myself a little pc.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gredler

I hope that there is some sort of online component, I'd love to play some obey with some of you guys :)

DeshDildo

I bet they don't have a working prototype ready for their Kickstarter date and try to fund on indiegogo.  When that fails some of the guys will give up and some other mysterious guys will continue development until they show their prototype at Toy Fair in NY.  It will end up being a GameCube case with a Turbo Express stuffed inside.  Then, when they show a clear version of the prototype it will end up being an old 3dfx Voodoo 5 graphics card with a bunch of wires and stuff soldered to it. 

This is just my prediction of course.

P.S. WTF do they mean by hybrid emulation?
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

CrackTiger

"If you're hardcore into playing old games like us, nothing but real hardware will do.

So please donate money so we can build yet another fake hardware device".
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Dicer

RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO

RETRO

wildfruit

It looks very pretty but I bet the modules will be expensive. Would probably piss the wife off less than my current set up of an illustrated history of nec, sega and Sony stacked on the bedroom side.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Dicer on 02/01/2017, 02:13 PMRETRO
This made me lol so hard, my lunch ended up in my nose somehow.

thanks.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Dicer

Quote from: guest on 02/01/2017, 02:18 PM
Quote from: Dicer on 02/01/2017, 02:13 PM
RETRO
This made me lol so hard, my lunch ended up in my nose somehow.

thanks.
Quite welcome, I would have loved to do a amber or green on black but alas...

sirhcman

Quote from: Desh on 02/01/2017, 01:42 PMI bet they don't have a working prototype ready for their Kickstarter date and try to fund on indiegogo.  When that fails some of the guys will give up and some other mysterious guys will continue development until they show their prototype at Toy Fair in NY.  It will end up being a GameCube case with a Turbo Express stuffed inside.  Then, when they show a clear version of the prototype it will end up being an old 3dfx Voodoo 5 graphics card with a bunch of wires and stuff soldered to it. 

This is just my prediction of course.

Talk to dangdang in DoxPhile chat. He is one of the guys making this machine

crazydean

Other than playing original games which are identical to roms, what is the advantage of this over a raspberry pi?

CrackTiger

Quote from: crazydean on 02/01/2017, 03:22 PMOther than playing original games which are identical to roms, what is the advantage of this over a raspberry pi?
The opportunity to wear out pins and scratch discs with drives that are designed simply to be "close enough".

Any "retro" box should just feature a large storage space and fully support roms and isos of various formats. It should also be cheap, otherwise there is no point.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Michirin9801

Quote from: elmer on 02/01/2017, 12:02 PMDoes another emulator-in-a-box excite anyone???
I already have one of those, it's called a "Nintendo Wii"

SignOfZeta

I agree that adding a CD-ROM makes a big difference but I don't trust these people. Way WAY too much talking and hyping and almost zero reality whatsoever. The design of the thing sorta hints that they don't understand what retro retro retro retro really is about. Nobody who loves retro loves the fact that the two main game systems nowadays look virtually identical and design-less. We certainly don't want another chicken shit designer's ultra cautious featureless block. Make it red and chrome and call it the Wonderkind or something. Fuck. Try.

Also, PSX is the lingo of forum trash and the ghosts of people who died in 1993. If they were to be taken seriously they should use consistent nomenclature at least within the same paragraph. PlayStation is to Turbo Grafx 16 as PSX is to Turbob. If you're worried about legal action from Sony then use Diehard Gamefan approved abbreviations for the other systems you support as well.

Btw, who's excited about OHMYGOD playing PlayStation games? Is that actually a problem for anyone? Can't someone still buy a PS with an RGB cable for like $38? While it is the most popular CD based system it's also the least appealing given other available avenues. I mean...I have a PS3 and it does a pretty decent job upscaling and sending it out over HDMI. Is this thing targeted at non-PS3 owners?
IMG

CrackTiger

Although I would use "Playstation" in a press releases like that, "PSX" is no worse than "NES" which is also used. It's all part of their "we're hardcore like you!" pitch that they alone want backing for.

SignOfZeta

NES has been officially used by Nintendo to describe the Nintendo Entertainment system on thousands of occasions. Sony never uses PSX to refer to the PlayStation on the box, in the manual, in the TV comercial, or anyplace else to refer to this system. PSX is two things: a term Sony used to describe the system before it had a launch date or final design and dropped from everything official long before it was actually released save for the model number and 2) a special version of the PlayStation 2 that actually was called PSX exactly. The reason they felt comfortable using the name then is probably because they had never sold anything with that name before.

The real question is why forum dwellers never used PSX2, PSX3, PSX4, PSXP, PSXVita, etc. Maybe they think x=1?
IMG

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

elmer

Quote from: guest on 02/01/2017, 06:38 PMI will take that bet. A half-gallon of rum to the winner?
Naughty-naughty, you're trading on insider information!  :lol:

Apparently, the prototype is supposed to be on show and playable at the Socal Retro Gaming Expo this weekend.

CrackTiger

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/01/2017, 05:37 PMNES has been officially used by Nintendo to describe the Nintendo Entertainment system on thousands of occasions. Sony never uses PSX to refer to the PlayStation on the box, in the manual, in the TV comercial, or anyplace else to refer to this system. PSX is two things: a term Sony used to describe the system before it had a launch date or final design and dropped from everything official long before it was actually released save for the model number and 2) a special version of the PlayStation 2 that actually was called PSX exactly. The reason they felt comfortable using the name then is probably because they had never sold anything with that name before.

The real question is why forum dwellers never used PSX2, PSX3, PSX4, PSXP, PSXVita, etc. Maybe they think x=1?
Pretending to not understand why PSX has been used since before the Playstation was released is forum trash behaviour, on par with insisting that the PC Engine is an 8-bit generation console.

The console that most people call "SMS" or "Sega Master System" was officially titled the "Power Base" and the overall library title was later adjusted to reflect what people often incorrectly called it. But you don't correct people who type "SMS".

Gredler

DeshDildo

Quote from: guest on 02/01/2017, 06:38 PM
Quote from: Desh on 02/01/2017, 01:42 PMI bet they don't have a working prototype ready for their Kickstarter date and try to fund on indiegogo...

I will take that bet. A half-gallon of rum to the winner?

Also, hybrid emu means a human-emu hybrid clone. Fox news warned us it was coming!
My original post was in jest rather than being serious.  I only found out this was a thing a couple of days ago and haven't heard much about it.  I probably would have known longer but I haven't been on the DoxPhiles for awhile due to kids and other projects.  Will you guys welcome me back with open arms?
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

sirhcman

Quote from: Desh on 02/01/2017, 08:24 PMWill you guys welcome me back with open arms?
go sit in the corner with arjak!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 02/01/2017, 07:03 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/01/2017, 05:37 PMNES has been officially used by Nintendo to describe the Nintendo Entertainment system on thousands of occasions. Sony never uses PSX to refer to the PlayStation on the box, in the manual, in the TV comercial, or anyplace else to refer to this system. PSX is two things: a term Sony used to describe the system before it had a launch date or final design and dropped from everything official long before it was actually released save for the model number and 2) a special version of the PlayStation 2 that actually was called PSX exactly. The reason they felt comfortable using the name then is probably because they had never sold anything with that name before.

Pretending to not understand why PSX has been used since before the Playstation was released is forum trash behaviour, on par with insisting that the PC Engine is an 8-bit generation console.

The console that most people call "SMS" or "Sega Master System" was officially titled the "Power Base" and the overall library title was later adjusted to reflect what people often incorrectly called it. But you don't correct people who type "SMS".
Whatever I'm doing, "pretending not to know why" isn't it. I know why. It's because the letter X was really cool on the 90s and old habits are hard to break.
IMG

elmer

Quote from: guest on 02/01/2017, 02:18 PMAlso helps that one of the guys heading up the project is a DoxPhiler. :D if I remember correctly, each module is a clone of the original hardware, kind of like the AVS for NES. Read for yourselves, though.... I am a drunkard and might be remembering things wrong.
For me, at least, and I certainly can't speak for everyone, it's not whether there's any sense in the basic idea. It's all about the motivations and the actual real-world implementation.

When the folks on AtariAge have hacked at your friend's website and are showing pre-release stuff that displays a company mindset that wants to be the paid-secure-digital-distribution outlet for DRM-protected homebrew games ... then my first reaction is WTF???

The guys seem *far* more capable and clued-in than Mike Kenneddy and his team, but (IMHO) they still seem to be pushing a "solution" that is looking for "problem".

Perhaps I'm just far too cynical, and stupidly-wrong. It wouldn't  be the first time.

In the meantime, that press-release sounds just like this ...

Gredler

I may've been watching too much Star Trek lately, but I lol'd at that too hard. :P

My main questions for this thing are

1) Does it provide online multiplayer and online friends / match making for that? My brother bought a house in Colorado recently, so it looks like if I am in San Diego forever as I hope to be, no more multiplayer
retro
with him , unless we both wrangle together a emulator solution.

2) Is the hardware emulation closer to a retron 5 or an AVS? If this thing is a great as I hear the AVS is but for more systems, I would be happy to have something that let me easily play my carts / ancient discs (and more importantly flash cards and burned backups) on a HMDI TV that would save me from updating any of my systems (I currently only play on one specific CRT, and it'd be nice to play elsewhere in the house).

3) Price

BigusSchmuck

Sounds like a repeat of the Laseractive but with Retro all over it and no Laserdisc support.

NecroPhile

Quote from: elmer on 02/02/2017, 02:40 AMWhen the folks on AtariAge have hacked at your friend's website and are showing pre-release stuff that displays a company mindset that wants to be the paid-secure-digital-distribution outlet for DRM-protected homebrew games ... then my first reaction is WTF???
You got some links?  This sound hilarious.

ClodBusted

Psycho Punch

edit: I changed my mind and there's no reason to keep the original post around. See the other post in this thread.

Good luck to the RetroBlox team and dangdang.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

Psycho Punch

edit: see above.

Michirin9801

Quote from: Gredler on 02/02/2017, 04:57 AMI would be happy to have something that let me easily play my carts / ancient discs (and more importantly flash cards and burned backups) on a HMDI TV [...]
Isn't the whole point of flash carts and burned CDs playing roms and ISOs in real hardware? If you wanna play ROMs and ISOs on your TV with a controller, but don't care what you play it on, you might as well go with a much cheaper and better solution that's already out and readily available, like a Raspberry Pi with Retro Pi in it, or a hacked Wii/Xbox/PSP/3DS, whichever one you prefer, or you could simply hook up your PC to your TV and buy one of these: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61hX6A3NooL._SL1500_.jpg
and then emulate the games in full screen on your TV, heck, you could even use some cool CRT filters that way (unless you're actually hooking your PC up to a CRT like I do)

If you have a game collection and want to play said games, I'd assume you also have the real hardware to play them on, but I can understand wanting to play them through HDMI without modding your older consoles, in which case yeah, go right ahead, but I don't see a point of using a system like that for ROMs and ISOs...

ChuChu Flamingo

but think of how much space it will save on my stand!

elmer

Quote from: guest on 02/02/2017, 09:20 AM
Quote from: elmer on 02/02/2017, 02:40 AMWhen the folks on AtariAge have hacked at your friend's website and are showing pre-release stuff that displays a company mindset that wants to be the paid-secure-digital-distribution outlet for DRM-protected homebrew games ... then my first reaction is WTF???
You got some links?  This sound hilarious.
I was wrong, it's not a "hack" of their website, just a scouring through Google's cache of their website. Sorry!  :oops:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261689-retroblox/

First page, from user xiaNaix. He posts a bunch of stuff over a few pages.

Quote from: guest on 02/02/2017, 10:26 AMSounds like that would be a pretty kickass deal for homebrewers, IMO.  Seems like it would help to expand their product visibility.  Profit motive isn't inherently evil.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with making a bit of profit ... it helps to keep a company alive.

But, is the profit on a few homebrew sales going to be enough to keep someone's DRM servers up-and-running for the next 30 years?

How do you go from a console idea that absolutely fetishizes original cartridges and CDs, that people can display and trade and take around to their friend's house ... to a digital-download that's locked to a particular machine, with an unknown hardware lifespan because of all of that plugging-and-unplugging of those emulation-modules (or whatever they're called)?

I've got the impression that the folks that are buying homebrew for old consoles actually *want* it delivered on a real cart/CD to add to their collection.

Perhaps it's a brilliant idea, and I'm just missing the point.

But the whole idea suddenly raises the question of "what are these guys wanting to do?", and are they trying to use KickStarter to fund a "company", like the RetroVGS guys wanted to do?

If so, just where is their paywall going to be, and what compelling reason can they give for folks to buy into it?

And how can they convince folks that their business model is stronger than Ouya's?

I guess that we'll find out more over the coming weeks when they release more information.

Arkhan Asylum

How would this expand product visibility for homebrewers, if the people who are likely going to buy this are already fans of *insert console here*, and likely already know about homebrew activities for said console?

I don't get it.

CrackTiger

The NeoSD flashcart for Neo Geo is the way to do digital sales for homebrew. Each one is serialized and roms can be made to only work on a particular NeoSD.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Nulltard on 02/02/2017, 10:26 AMSounds like that would be a pretty kickass deal for homebrewers, IMO.  Seems like it would help to expand their product visibility.  Profit motive isn't inherently evil.
True.  I mostly thought it was funny because if a homebrewer wants a secure digital download system, why not package their game with an emulator and go with Steam, PSN, etc. to reach a far larger audience?  I can't imagine there's that many homebrewers clamoring for digital downloads for fake retro systems that relatively few own instead of making real carts/cds for real systems that everyone already owns.

Also, DRM is pretty much always pointless.  No matter if it's encrypted, relies on always connected server connections, or whatever, someone will crack it, making it only onerous for the paying customers.

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/02/2017, 12:06 PM.... I don't see a point of using a system like that for ROMs and ISOs.
Why can't I want it for both the games I own and those I don't?  I could buy another flashcart (I'm too lazy to move one from room to room) and burn piles of cdrs, true, but that's quite a bit more expense and effort for zero gain.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Nulltard on 02/02/2017, 02:38 PMI agree that real retro gamers want shelf candy.

For posuers like me, on systems I don't follow or care to buy shelves for, it would be nice to have a market where I could see all the Sega watermelons I didn't know about and just buy interesting ones right there. Sure, I could Google, research, buy from a shady site with no SSL or pirate for homebrews.... But I only go through that hassle for turbobs.
That's a pretty sad generalization about homebrews in general. Almost every site I've seen dealing with homebrews has a valid SSL cert or handles purchases through paypal, a good percentage of homebrews never get a "shelf candy" release, some even do a pay-what-you-want ROM sale through itch.io, and these ROM files go into evil, inexpensive non-retroblox emulation machines or into the real deal through an everdrive pretty much all the time.
"or pirate for homebrews" yes because this is clearly the only option in a world where commercial homebrews are sold in ROM format or dumpable at home with sub $50 devices.

You have a good point about centralizing homebrews for better visibility, but why did you had to play the COLLECTARD card instead of acknowledging the valid skepticism that surrounds this press release? Sad!

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Nulltard on 02/02/2017, 03:29 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 02/02/2017, 03:05 PM
Quote from: Nulltard on 02/02/2017, 02:38 PMI agree that real retro gamers want shelf candy.

For posuers like me, on systems I don't follow or care to buy shelves for, it would be nice to have a market where I could see all the Sega watermelons I didn't know about and just buy interesting ones right there. Sure, I could Google, research, buy from a shady site with no SSL or pirate for homebrews.... But I only go through that hassle for turbobs.
That's a pretty sad generalization about homebrews in general. Almost every site I've seen dealing with homebrews has a valid SSL cert or handles purchases through paypal, a good percentage of homebrews never get a "shelf candy" release, some even do a pay-what-you-want ROM sale through itch.io, and these ROM files go into evil, inexpensive non-retroblox emulation machines or into the real deal through an everdrive pretty much all the time.
"or pirate for homebrews" yes because this is clearly the only option in a world where commercial homebrews are sold in ROM format or dumpable at home with sub $50 devices.

You have a good point about centralizing homebrews for better visibility, but why did you had to play the COLLECTARD card instead of acknowledging the valid skepticism that surrounds this press release? Sad!
Grache was right about you, crooked Punch. Such a nasty Brazilian!
Brazilian Jew, don't omit the jew part :lol:

Michirin9801

Quote from: guest on 02/02/2017, 02:44 PM
Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/02/2017, 12:06 PM.... I don't see a point of using a system like that for ROMs and ISOs.
Why can't I want it for both the games I own and those I don't?
I'm not saying you can't 'want' one, but the rest of my previous post already makes my point...

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/02/2017, 03:47 PMI'm not saying you can't 'want' one, but the rest of my previous post already makes my point...
Right, but your point doesn't address the question of "what if I want to play what I own, AND play stuff I don't own?"

Someone might have a nice SNES collection, but is missing say, Chrono Trigger or Earthbound.

This could consolidate all of their stuff, and let them also pop ROMs/ISOs on it.

Sure, you could just ditch it all, including your already owned carts/cds, and use an emu-box PC, but then you lose your saves/carts, etc.

If I want to fire up and dick off in Secret of Mana, I'd rather use my cartridge with a save on it, as opposed to starting over.

Michirin9801

Quote from: guest on 02/02/2017, 03:57 PM
Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/02/2017, 03:47 PMI'm not saying you can't 'want' one, but the rest of my previous post already makes my point...
Right, but your point doesn't address the question of "what if I want to play what I own, AND play stuff I don't own?"
Isn't that what they'd get a Flash Cart for? I mean, that post was already an answer to gredler wanting to put a flash cart in it, and as I said before, isn't the whole point of flash carts playing the ROMs in real hardware?

The only reason I could see someone wanting to get a system like this is on an AVS-like situation, where they want to play their games through HDMI without having to mod their old systems, in that case, as I said before, go right ahead!
However if you just want to play ROMs on your TV, there are other reliable methods readily available...

NecroPhile

And like Gredler and myself have said, it's not an either or type of thing.  I'd want to play my real games on a modern TV and play games I don't own, homebrew stuff, translation patches, etc. and I'd rather not go through the expense and hassle of another flashcart or burning cdrs.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/02/2017, 04:32 PMIsn't that what they'd get a Flash Cart for? I mean, that post was already an answer to gredler wanting to put a flash cart in it, and as I said before, isn't the whole point of flash carts playing the ROMs in real hardware?
That doesn't address CD hardware.  There's no flash cart for ISOs on PCE, etc.

and as I said, the flash cart doesn't have my save files present.   Sometimes you just want to play Star Road without beating all of SMW again.

Michirin9801

Quote from: guest on 02/02/2017, 04:53 PMThat doesn't address CD hardware.  There's no flash cart for ISOs on PCE, etc.
I'd think the exact same argument about burnt CDs would go without saying... Do I have to spell out everything?
Also if you have your real cartridge with your save file in it, why would you NOT use it?

Quote from: guest on 02/02/2017, 04:47 PMAnd like Gredler and myself have said, it's not an either or type of thing.  I'd want to play my real games on a modern TV and play games I don't own, homebrew stuff, translation patches, etc. and I'd rather not go through the expense and hassle of another flashcart or burning cdrs.
Let me rephrase my point: The selling point of this device is playing your physical games through HDMI without having to mod your old systems, kinda like a "Multi-system AVS"
If you want to play hacks, homebrew stuff and games that you don't own, you can already do that Right Now both in real hardware through flash carts and burned CDs, and in other emulation boxes that already exist.
When (or if) this thing comes out, there's nothing stopping you from playing both in it...

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/02/2017, 05:36 PMI'd think the exact same argument about burnt CDs would go without saying... Do I have to spell out everything?
Before you get lippy, you should really stop and understand the difference between being able to use an ISO and having to burn a CD-R.

There is a reason things like the GD EMU are so sought after for dreamcast even though people could just burn CD-Rs all goddamn day if they want.

Michirin9801

Quote from: guest on 02/02/2017, 05:42 PM
Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/02/2017, 05:36 PMI'd think the exact same argument about burnt CDs would go without saying... Do I have to spell out everything?
Before you get lippy, you should really stop and understand the difference between being able to use an ISO and having to burn a CD-R.

There is a reason things like the GD EMU are so sought after for dreamcast even though people could just burn CD-Rs all goddamn day if they want.
Admittedly, I hadn't thought about that... If this device is going to play ISOs as well that's all fine and dandy, but well, I don't know about you, but I already play both PCE CD ISOs and Sega CD ISOs on my Wii ;3

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/02/2017, 05:52 PMAdmittedly, I hadn't thought about that... If this device is going to play ISOs as well that's all fine and dandy, but well, I don't know about you, but I already play both PCE CD ISOs and Sega CD ISOs on my Wii ;3
and then you can't shove a real cartridge into the Wii, so there's that whole issue again.

Now do you see how a combination machine would be a useful thing?

Gredler

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/02/2017, 05:52 PMAdmittedly, I hadn't thought about that... If this device is going to play ISOs as well that's all fine and dandy, but well, I don't know about you, but I already play both PCE CD ISOs and Sega CD ISOs on my Wii ;3
Also wii is only upscaling to 480p, this thing hopefully will upscale nicely to whatever tv you're using.

I do want to try to mod my wii, I recently got a broken one that was just dirty or something works fine for me, so I kinda want to try to mod it. Can you pm me links on how is the best way so I don't have to trudge through the shady corners of the world wide webs?