RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

How did the seller test this controller?

Started by wilykat, 12/06/2015, 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilykat

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281875779569

The plug looks like it's missing something, a common problem with these controllers.  Somehow the seller tested it as working.

Did I miss some info about a rare all black plug end or is the seller full of shit?

csgx1

Looks like when the seller tested the controller last, the plug broke and stayed in the console that's also for sale.  Seller probably didn't notice.  Technically not lying. :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TurboGrafx-16-Black-Console-TESTED-CONSOLE-ONLY-/272066712569

jtucci31

Ah good catch. I figured the seller couldn't be that dumb.

Keith Courage

People need to stop loosing those plug ends. If you have the metal end you can simply super glue it back into the controller.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: csgx1 on 12/06/2015, 09:35 PMLooks like when the seller tested the controller last, the plug broke and stayed in the console that's also for sale.  Seller probably didn't notice.  Technically not lying.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TurboGrafx-16-Black-Console-TESTED-CONSOLE-ONLY-/272066712569
Oh man that's funny! Did anyone notify the seller? I didn't know those "plugs",came off the controller. I've never had that problem with mine. That reminds me of the break away ends on the 360 controllers. Pretty annoying.

SephirothTNH

Yeah I've got one of these controllers with this feature.  I've been meaning to glue it but i may lop off the end and put a Japanese style connector on it instead.  The controller works perfectly otherwise.

thesteve

i had a few do that, i replaced the cords

Vimtoman

Shouldn't it say "I ship shit" not "I ship fast"

NecroPhile

Heh, what a goofball.  I'm tempted to send a message, but why should I help out a goober that's piecing out a system for maximum profits?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

GohanX

I was thinking that as well. You have a controller and a system, selling them separately is a dick move.

jperryss

Quote from: GohanX on 12/07/2015, 10:30 AMI was thinking that as well. You have a controller and a system, selling them separately is a dick move.
But what if someone already has a console with a controller port stuck in it?

ClodBusted

I just sent a message regarding the controller, in the hope of potential buyers get aware that the controller is broken.

grolt

Haha that's funny.  Wish there was an easy way to get those 8-pin DIN controller ends though, since I have a controller that's met the same fate.  It's easy to buy replacement mini-DIN PC Engine cables, not so with the Turbografx versions, though.
I'm a notorious strange man.

CatPix

They look like any 8 pins DIN plugs you can buy everywhere online, to me...
You just gotta be aware that there are U and C shaped pin design :
IMG
IMG

xcrement5x

Quote from: csgx1 on 12/06/2015, 09:35 PMLooks like when the seller tested the controller last, the plug broke and stayed in the console that's also for sale.  Seller probably didn't notice.  Technically not lying. :lol:

Bwaaaahahaha!!

That is hilarious, I never fail to be surprised by people.  It would be like selling an Xbox with all those little quick disconnects sticking out of the front of the unit and dangling around. 

ClodBusted

The seller replied with a thank you. But he neither altered the description nor did he took the listing down yet.

munchiaz

LOL. fuck this guy. Stuff probably won't sell because of this. Serves him right for selling the controller by itself

mj9123456

Quote from: guest on 12/08/2015, 01:23 PMThe seller replied with a thank you. But he neither altered the description nor did he took the listing down yet.
Yeah, he/she replied to me, too, but the listing is still the same. Bizarre.

wilykat

Someone put this seller out of misery! Buy the controller, then show seller picture of side by side of controller plugs and tell him he sent you a broken one, and neg him for "claimed tested working, was broken"

Pokun

Maybe he did take the advice and removed the plug, just didn't update the pics.

csgx1

Quote from: munchiaz on 12/08/2015, 02:52 PMLOL. fuck this guy. Stuff probably won't sell because of this. Serves him right for selling the controller by itself
Exactly.  Seller is also selling the power adapter separately for $40 shipped. 

If the seller does change the auction, I bet they'll just place the plug end back into the controller and try to sell it without mentioning the plug is loose.

o.pwuaioc

What a douchebag. On a serious note, is that a problem only with the TG-16 controllers?

CatPix

I would guess so. PC-Engine pads have a Mini-Din plug that have less grip than DIN plugs.

Thinking about it, only the TG-16 used DIN for controller connection I think... Maybe on some computer from the Soviet Union or Eastern block, but I bet even them used DB-9 style plugs, or Kempton interfaces for ZX Spectrum clones.
And some Videopac models used DIN too. So as well French Thomson computers that used the Videopac controllers.

But that gotta be about it.

ClodBusted

DIN plugs were used on Commodore computers, early German audio/phono connections, as well as for IBM PC keyboard interface.

I remember the molded DIN plugs being fine, but the plugs for DIY are a pain in the ass, they fall apart if you don't secure them using glue.

CatPix

I was talking about gamepad connections, not general audio connections. Else indeed, it was all over the place before it was replaced by those crappy RCA mess.
On console it was widely used for A/V out as well.

Keith Courage

US controllers loose the entire pin piece. Japanese controllers can have random pins pushed in.

wilykat

I remember having to help some poor employee at Toys R Us.  A customer returned a TG-16 for exchange because the plug fell apart, and it wasn't packed into the box properly so I had to help them repack into the original box so they could have it shipped to NEC for refund or credit.

It was a common issue with TG-16 controller and the plug tended to just fall apart.  I don't know if it was a bad batch or if someone was yanking the cord too roughly but the one I found on eBay would be the 7th or 8th disintegrated plug I've seen in my life.  I have never had one fail on my own controllers, I guess I treat my stuff with respect.