I still don't have an Everdrive. Where to buy one and what version.

Started by Flare65, 05/15/2016, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare65

I still don't have one.  I know there are some threads on this somewhere on here.  Where is the best place to buy one?  Is there any major differences between the first one and the version 2?

CrackTiger

Buy it directly from retrogate.

https://shop.retrogate.com/everdrive/turbo-everdrive-v2-buy

Ver 2 can have problems working correctly on a system that has a region mod, but not always. Ver 2 loads games instantly and has special features that allow it to run a custom Super CD System card.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

mj9123456

I say get v1.2 if you can, as some systems seem to have odd problems with v2.4 (my PC Engine Duo is one such system).

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5067.0

The Krikzz site stopped selling v1.2 a couple months ago, but this eBay seller has some left:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Everdrive-PC-Engine-PCE-TG16-HuCard-Turbografx-16-US-Seller-/141906545812?hash=item210a4a0c94:g:Jl4AAOSwkNZUejJd

I wound up keeping my v1.2 and selling the v2.4 after certain games inexplicably glitched on the latter. Most people seem to have no issues with v2.4, though, so you should be fine either way.

MNKyDeth

If there are still any issues with the TED v2.4 it most likely comes down to the type of region mod used. I test all systems that I region mod with a v2.4 TED and not once have I had to fix anything or change where I got the power from.

Maybe I am just lucky....

I have used two different region chips so far. One from PCE16mods version 2. They have a version 3 now. And one that uses the same chip but on a generic pcb.

I guess it could come down to the length of wires used as well. I only use a maximum length of 55mm for my wire. Not sure if that makes any difference.

tbone3969

Quote from: guest on 05/16/2016, 12:04 AMBuy it directly from retrogate.

Ver 2 can have problems working correctly on a system that has a region mod, but not always. Ver 2 loads games instantly and has special features that allow it to run a custom Super CD System card.
Can this be used as a 3.0 card and/or Arcade Card?
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

ginoscope

Quote from: tbone3969 on 05/16/2016, 08:53 AM

Can this be used as a 3.0 card and/or Arcade Card?
It can be used as the system 3.0 card but not the Arcade card.

tbone3969

Wow really.  That makes the investment in one even more worth it.  So I assume the Everdrive card has built in ram on it?
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

mickcris

Quote from: mj9123456 on 05/16/2016, 06:49 AMI say get v1.2 if you can, as some systems seem to have odd problems with v2.4 (my PC Engine Duo is one such system).

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5067.0

The Krikzz site stopped selling v1.2 a couple months ago, but this eBay seller has some left:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Everdrive-PC-Engine-PCE-TG16-HuCard-Turbografx-16-US-Seller-/141906545812?hash=item210a4a0c94:g:Jl4AAOSwkNZUejJd

I wound up keeping my v1.2 and selling the v2.4 after certain games inexplicably glitched on the latter. Most people seem to have no issues with v2.4, though, so you should be fine either way.
that was me that posted about shuttle over there.  been meaning to try smokemonster's suggestion to try to get the everdrive running on it.

ginoscope

Quote from: tbone3969 on 05/16/2016, 09:05 AMWow really.  That makes the investment in one even more worth it.  So I assume the Everdrive card has built in ram on it?
Only the new version 2.4 has the ram built in.  The old one which is the one I own can be used for the system cards that don't add any ram.  I been thinking of upgrading to the v2 but have not found much of a reason to since I already have the system cards I need.

elmer

Quote from: tbone3969 on 05/16/2016, 09:05 AMWow really.  That makes the investment in one even more worth it.  So I assume the Everdrive card has built in ram on it?
The memory on the TED v1 is FLASH, the memory on the TED v2 is RAM, that's what allows the TED v2 to act as a Super System Card. It also lets the TED v2 act as a memory expansion for homebrew/translations.

AFAIK the TED v2.4 is working fine in unmodified consoles, and in region-modded consoles where the region-mod is getting a high-enough voltage to actually switch quickly/cleanly.

It looks like cleaning your cartridge-slot pins to ensure a good connection may also be needed sometimes (and is a sensible thing to do occasionally, anyway).

IMHO, the TED v2.4 is the better buy at this time, but it may require you to do a bit of Spring Cleaning on your console to get it running.

If you have a TED, you don't actually need a region-mod at all to run both region's HuCard cards on it.

So an un-modified Japanese PCE Duo + TED v2 is the cheapest way to play all the HuCard and CD/SCD games these days.

You can just leave the TED v2 permanently installed and run the hacked System Card 3 image on it to run CD games (or the System Card 1 image to run Altered Beast).

Duo_R

Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

mj9123456

Quote from: elmer on 05/16/2016, 10:33 AM
The memory on the TED v1 is FLASH, the memory on the TED v2 is RAM, that's what allows the TED v2 to act as a Super System Card. It also lets the TED v2 act as a memory expansion for homebrew/translations.

AFAIK the TED v2.4 is working fine in unmodified consoles, and in region-modded consoles where the region-mod is getting a high-enough voltage to actually switch quickly/cleanly.

It looks like cleaning your cartridge-slot pins to ensure a good connection may also be needed sometimes (and is a sensible thing to do occasionally, anyway).

IMHO, the TED v2.4 is the better buy at this time, but it may require you to do a bit of Spring Cleaning on your console to get it running.

If you have a TED, you don't actually need a region-mod at all to run both region's HuCard cards on it.

So an un-modified Japanese PCE Duo + TED v2 is the cheapest way to play all the HuCard and CD/SCD games these days.

You can just leave the TED v2 permanently installed and run the hacked System Card 3 image on it to run CD games (or the System Card 1 image to run Altered Beast).
Any updates on whether or not v1 is affected by running the unmodified BIOS? Thanks for all your hard work, by the way.

Groover

I thought ver 2 fixed issues. I have a TED ver 1 because back then that was all there was. It works on my US unmodded Duo and my Region modded Duo-R
IMG

TDIRunner

Quote from: Groover on 05/17/2016, 11:37 PMI thought ver 2 fixed issues. I have a TED ver 1 because back then that was all there was. It works on my US unmodded Duo and my Region modded Duo-R
I'm the same way.  There was only one version when I bought mine.  But it works perfectly in my Duo R and since I have an arcade card, I don't have to worry about any of the system card support on v2.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

CrackTiger

Quote from: Groover on 05/17/2016, 11:37 PMI thought ver 2 fixed issues. I have a TED ver 1 because back then that was all there was. It works on my US unmodded Duo and my Region modded Duo-R
V2 introduced issues and added features.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Flare65

Any idea if anyone is working on a newer version?  Like a version 3.0?

TDIRunner

Quote from: Flare65 on 05/20/2016, 12:22 AMAny idea if anyone is working on a newer version?  Like a version 3.0?
To the best of my knowledge, most of the current Everdrive development time is currently going into the Game Boy Advance ED.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

MasonSushi

Yes I have one and it doesn't work on my modded Duo-RX, or my modded CoreGrafx. It sucks. :(

TDIRunner

Quote from: MasonSushi on 05/20/2016, 09:38 AM

Yes I have one and it doesn't work on my modded Duo-RX, or my modded CoreGrafx. It sucks. :(
Wasn't there an exchange program for the v2 units that were having issues?  Have you looked into that?

elmer

Quote from: MasonSushi on 05/20/2016, 09:38 AMYes I have one and it doesn't work on my modded Duo-RX, or my modded CoreGrafx. It sucks. :(
Sorry to hear about the problem.

If you got an early TED v2, a version 2.1 or 2.2, then you can return it for replacement, and that may fix your problem (v2.1 and v2.2 had a problem with their startup code).

If you've got a TED v2.3 or v2.4, then they work fine, but they're sensitive to the effects of some/most region-mods, especially if the region-mod isn't switching fast-enough.

That seems to be fixable by making sure that the region-mod is getting a high-voltage power source.

mickcris

The v1 also had some issues with region mods too.  It was not something that was introduced in the v2.  Probably the same fix would work for both everdrive versions.

CrackTiger

So far on the 4 tegion modded systems I've used TEDs on, Only the v1 worked on all of them and the v2 worked on only one of them.

mickcris

Quote from: guest on 05/20/2016, 11:51 AMSo far on the 4 tegion modded systems I've used TEDs on, Only the v1 worked on all of them and the v2 worked on only one of them.
i had issues on a duojindance duo-r with the v1 everdrive.  it would not work.  also a turbo duo i modded for someone here, the v1 would not work on it while the v2 would.  i connected it to 5v from the hu card slot before knowing it worked better directly from the 7805.

edit:
actually i forget now. the duojindace one may have been the other way around.  i dont own the console anymore.  i know one of the everdrives wouldn't work on it though.

StarDust4Ever

All the more reason to leave your TG-16 or Pc Engine stock and use an import adapter. No issues running flash carts.

http://www.retrotowers.co.uk/pc-engine-to-turbografx-16-converter
http://www.retrotowers.co.uk/pc-henshin

I use a plain Jane Turbografx so I got the standard PC-Henshin without the chips. To play TG-16 on a PCe, you'll need the more expensive chipped version which is sold out atm. Worth every penny given the going rate of US Turbo games. I flicked the switch on my v1.1 Everdrive to PCe and it worked through the adapter as well.

EDIT: Ouch, price has gone up on these puppies. I paid 44 pounds for my PC-Henshin when I ordered in January... #-o
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

elmer

Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 05/22/2016, 02:15 PMhttp://www.retrotowers.co.uk/pc-engine-to-turbografx-16-converter
EDIT: Ouch, price has gone up on these puppies. I paid 44 pounds for my PC-Henshin when I ordered in January... #-o
Jeez, those are expensive!  :shock:

I don't have any region-modded PCE consoles, but that's just me.

TR0N

Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 05/22/2016, 02:15 PMAll the more reason to leave your TG-16 or Pc Engine stock and use an import adapter. No issues running flash carts.

http://www.retrotowers.co.uk/pc-engine-to-turbografx-16-converter

I use a plain Jane Turbografx so I got the standard PC-Henshin without the chips. To play TG-16 on a PCe, you'll need the more expensive chipped version which is sold out atm. Worth every penny given the going rate of US Turbo games. I flicked the switch on my v1.1 Everdrive to PCe and it worked through the adapter as well.

Most converters are over priced to begin with for the TG16/Turbo Duo  :P Unless you have a chopsodo  :wink: My TG16 and Duo-r are all ready region modded so that would leave me out for a ted v2 then.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Gredler

I have a duo-r modded for region and a v2 Ted I picked up in a group buy here put together by tucci, it's a 2.0 and works fine for me. Lucky!!

Keith Courage

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: Keith Courage on 05/23/2016, 12:50 AMRegion mod fix for v2.4 everdrives.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=20909.0
Even if the logic chip can handle 10V DC at VCC, I feel it would be unwise to tap this source because the logic chip will output 9-10VDC for "high" logic level outputs as well. This means the inputs of chips connected to the logic bus, either on the Everdrive/cartridge or console side, may be getting too much juice. We don't know whether all 5V logic chips (TTL, CMOS, whatever) will be tolerant of this excess voltage signal. It could get pulled down to 5.6V by internal clamping diodes, and this could generate excess current resulting in heating of the logic chips. Operation in such a manner would require inline resistors to limit current flow as is often used when interfacing modern 3.3V logic chips with vintage 5V bus.

So while such a hack may techinically "work," I am concerned that operating the modchip off of 9-10V would place undue stress on the hardware. As to why the voltage mod may work, perhaps the chips are not switching quickly enough at 5V, as increasing the voltage will decrease the response time proportionally. A better solution might be to use high speed chips, ie HC series instead of LS series, but mixing logic types can cause it's own issues which is beyond the scope of this discussion.
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...