10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Secret of Mana Remake

Started by Arkhan Asylum, 08/28/2017, 02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gredler

Quote from: GohanX on 09/07/2017, 07:08 PMThey want $40 for that shit? I love Mana, but put some effort into it if you want that much cash. This looks like a $10 Android port.
Ironically I believe this is the same engine and team that did the Android port of the first game

Arkhan Asylum

I wonder if they will let us have Japanese voices.   

Other than that, I will play it again and see what all they did and probably stop after I fly around lol.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

munchiaz

Still dont know why this isn't being released on the Switch, what with the Mana collection on the console. Just weird.

Arkhan Asylum

beats me.   seems goofy to not do that.  maybe Nintendo was being dumb with licensing or something.

That would've been the ideal machine to get it for so I can play while I poop.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

cabbage

Timothy sounds like Napoleon Dynamite...

Gredler

blueraven

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/28/2017, 10:23 PMSword of Mana was a fucking trainwreck.   Easily the most disappointing GBA purchase ever.  Even Lunar's remakedowngrade for GBA was better than that boring, slow ass progression/stale boss battle mess.

but, I'm not 100% sure I'd say LA is a better choice than FFA.   They're different games, really, and for predating LA by 2 years, it did some things better since it was trying to be an ARPG and Zelda never has been one of those.   

The combat in FFA is objectively more interesting because of the weaponry options.   Link may have subitems at his disposal, but he's never swinging an axe or a chain whip around. 

I also think FFA had way better music overall.   There was so much variety, and so many really memorable tunes.

Outside of Marin's tune, most of LA's music isn't very memorable.   

Lets not even count the rediddled typical Zelda themes. 

Anyone who played FFA will find themselves humming the overworld music or the theme song randomly, years after they have touched the game.
FFA also had a better sense of adventure, and all those senses of urgency.     LA just boils down to some pudnut that can't steer a boat running around collecting instruments while Mr. Owl tells him how many licks it takes to not get to the center of Marin because Link never gets any.

and then he wakes up from his wet dream (hah), and whatever.   It's a great game but Link is basically a useless dipshit that accomplishes fuckall lol.
I know that this is two months old, but goddamn what a great soundtrack. I never get sick of hearing this theme.

Arkhan Asylum

They got new updates about the game so its all relevant lets make out.

xcrement5x

The narrator sounds like some old dude greeter from the Cracker Barrel gift shop. 

Arkhan Asylum

He sounds like elderly Kiefer Sutherland, right after he offers us some werthers originals for story time.

This intro is actually pretty cool, though.   Nice art style, and use of 3D layering.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/03/2017, 03:13 PMHe sounds like elderly Kiefer Sutherland, right after he offers us some werthers originals for story time.

This intro is actually pretty cool, though.   Nice art style, and use of 3D layering.
I agree there, visually it's neat. 

NecroPhile

It looks like Gamestop is doing a physical version for PS4.  Vita gets the shaft, of course.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

at least its not friggin Limited Run PieceOfShitGames.

I hate them more than Gamestop

Arkhan Asylum

Played for a few hours.

Pleasantly surprised with it so far.

It plays like the SNES one.

The non-pixel graphics are cartoony and vibrant, so they feel nice.  The vibrance and designs of some of them really match stuff from manuals and artbooks.

You can toggle the SNES soundtrack.  The minimap IS the SNES game's art.

You can switch JP voices on.

The character interactions and dialog added to this version make it nice to play and see all of that.

So far, I think it is worth picking up.

My only complaint so far, is when you use the cannon travel, there is no Mode 7.

If I get to flying around, and there is still no mode7'y shit, I will be mad.

ParanoiaDragon

I'll have it later today.  You don't think the graphics are too....meh, for lack of a better word?  From what I can tell, I wish they were better, but, maybe I'll be surprised once I play it.  How's the arranged soundtrack?
IMG

xcrement5x

Nice tracks to celebrate:

Arkhan Asylum

The remade OST is pretty awesome.

I think the best way to describe this is that it looks like an artbook jumped into the game.

The one review is like THEY CHANGED NOTHING IT SUCKS.

jtucci31

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/15/2018, 12:47 PMThe remade OST is pretty awesome.

I think the best way to describe this is that it looks like an artbook jumped into the game.

The one review is like THEY CHANGED NOTHING IT SUCKS.
I mean, couldn't you argue that by not changing all that much it is sort of an unnecessary remake?

Also surprised you like the OST, I've heard some negative stuff about it overall.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 02/18/2018, 07:00 PMI mean, couldn't you argue that by not changing all that much it is sort of an unnecessary remake?
I mean, they remade it where it counts.   There is more dialog and presentation of the story, without fucking up the gameplay or completely changing what the game is. 

QuoteAlso surprised you like the OST, I've heard some negative stuff about it overall.
The people bitching about the soundtrack are armchair musicians and dipshits, honestly.   

Its not bad.  Some of it is weaker on the percussion compared to the snappy SNES drum-machine drums, but I haven't had any fits of rage where I flip back to the SNES OST.   

For some reason, they *want* low quality SNES sampling instead of modern instruments in a remake, and are comparing apples to potatoes at that point.

and I say this being one of the people who think SOM's soundtrack is like top5 OSTs of all time.
This is seriously the stuff the same people would line up for, and suck dicks to get tickets for, if an orchestra was going to perform the SOM soundtrack live.

If this was done at an ampitheatre with a bunch of cunty exclusivity that one could wave around for getting to go attend it, these same people'd be like OMFG I LOVED IT.  IT WAS MAJESTICALLY EPIC NOSTALGIA FEELS FROM MY CHILDHOOD.

I hate everyone.
This stuff is fuckin cool.  Its got the same atmospheric setup, and the same rhythms and layering, just with better instruments.   

then theres dummies like this:
lol, funny story.

The merchant dances in the game, unless I somehow just see him fucking moving around and hes not actually.

YouTube gamers need to just fuckin stop.

Opethian

I like the new Matango song more
IMG

wiseau

I just don't see any reason to really get this over a super nintendo cart. It costs about as much, but looks and sounds so much worse.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: wiseau on 02/19/2018, 03:21 PMI just don't see any reason to really get this over a super nintendo cart. It costs about as much, but looks and sounds so much worse.
Stop overreacting.

It uses alot of SNES sfx, and you can use the SNES OST if you're that triggered by anything that isn't from the 16 bit era, lol.

Saying vibrant 3D overhead looks "so much worse" than pixel art is kinda dense in the first place man.

It doesn't look bad.  It just doesn't look like an SNES game because it's.....

not an SNES game.

wiseau

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/19/2018, 03:32 PMStop overreacting.
More like apathy really. I was hoping the PS4 version would at least add in some of the content they had to remove when they downgraded the game to the SNES. Unfortunately it's just the snes game with a different coat of low-poly 3d paint.

seieienbu

I haven't picked up the game yet.  I'd be more interested if I hadn't played SoM so recently, but I feel like I finished it just before this was announced.  I also thought that the combat wasn't remotely as entertaining as I'd remembered it from when I was a kid so I'm a bit jaded on the game.

As for the graphics?  It looks really cheap to me so it didn't immediately jump out screaming "You have to buy me!" 
Quote from: wiseau on 02/19/2018, 04:43 PMI was hoping the PS4 version would at least add in some of the content they had to remove when they downgraded the game to the SNES. Unfortunately it's just the snes game with a different coat of low-poly 3d paint.
I haven't heard much about this.  I recall hearing that the game was originally supposed to be on the SNES CD but I don't know how true that is.  What was removed?

Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Arkhan Asylum

Secret of Mana's combat was always sort of stupid in the way that it queues up hits and you watch damage from 5 seconds ago pop up after it's waited it's turn.

at least they didn't change it!

MNKyDeth

I have never played SoM.

Buy on PS4, and stream to the vita when a portable is needed? Or just buy on the vita and call it a day? Or do you get both versions while paying just for one version like some other games. Like Ys Origins.

I bought my vita originally just to stream PS4 games to it. It works ok after getting used to the controls.

ParanoiaDragon

That, or maybe find a Vita TV, though I don't know if it's compatible.  It should be, I'm not aware of any touchscreen stuff, though, I'm playing the physical Ps4 version so I wouldn't know for sure.  As for a Vita TV, you should check a Toys R Us.  Got a second one for my bedroom recently, was the bundle with a controller, memory card & such for only $18.  I've also heard of Walmarts having them stupidly cheap.

If it does work on the Vita TV, then you can transfer the save to the cloud I believe?
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

I think it works on PSTV.   I can confirm when my JP Vita copy shows up.

Also, I've experienced two crashes while playing the game.   Both give the same error code, and both were in the ruins (pandora, and empire ruins).

You know,where it plays that doofy ass music:
I blame Dyluck being a bitch. 

It's not too awful though since the auto saving basically makes you lose like, a screen of progress.

It's only happened twice.  Once per dungeon.

Kinda lame.  I wonder what it's doing.

ParanoiaDragon

That's probably one of my favorite songs in the game, but I can't tell since my PC sound suddenly isn't working for some reason.  I hope a reboot fixes that.

It'll be nice if they finally bring the 3rd game out in english.  I played thru a significant portion of it when it was first translated, but I lost my save in a PC crash, so I never got around to it again.
IMG

blueraven

I played the absolute shit out of this game.

There was a cart that a friend of mine gave to me that was covered in sharpie and had the label half-torn off. He assumed I didn't wan't it because of that. lol.

Excited for the remake, might go for it to see the graphics again, but updated.

Either way, it was cool. I liked the nontraditional RPG elements from it.

seieienbu

So, I listened to the soundtrack on youtube and, by and large, wasn't a fan.  There were some good renditions of the old tracks, Did you Hear the Ocean springs to mind instantly here, but there were some awful ones.

The boss theme springs to mind on that later list; it is one of the worst remakes that I've ever heard.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: seieienbu on 03/17/2018, 03:09 PMSo, I listened to the soundtrack on youtube and, by and large, wasn't a fan.  There were some good renditions of the old tracks, Did you Hear the Ocean springs to mind instantly here, but there were some awful ones.

The boss theme springs to mind on that later list; it is one of the worst remakes that I've ever heard.
The original boss battle music was annoying too, lol.

Gredler

I just finished a playthrough on my snes classic, and how did I forget how kickass the mana fortress song is. That is my favorite song in the game now.

I don't like this new version as much...

vs

Gredler

danm double post

:derpcat: