Playstation kicked fucking ass

Started by Arkhan Asylum, 12/05/2017, 01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 12/12/2017, 09:55 PMThe majority of those 3D fighters were all doofy.

I liked Tobal No. 1 though.
and Masters of Teräs Käsi

HuMan

I'd love to see the article on Star Fox 2 in that issue.

nopepper

Quote from: HuMan on 12/12/2017, 10:57 PMI'd love to see the article on Star Fox 2 in that issue.
Nothing too exciting (sorry, don't have a scanner handy):

IMG

ClodBusted

Teräs Käsi sounds like some kind of Swiss cheese, doesn't it?

seieienbu

Dumbest looking "fighting game" on the system is clearly Dragonball GT:  Final Bout.  When I first saw it at a Toys R Us for $10 as a kid I was super excited.  Anime wasn't as common of a thing back then and this was a bit before the show had exploded in the states so DB was a mostly unknown property at the time.  Anyway, the store had 2 copies so my friend and I bought them both.  I took it home, booted it up, saw the Sweet intro FMV, and was on the moon.  Then the game started.  Man, that shit was Terrible!  I played it a few times, put it on the shelf, barely ever thought of it again.  I played it with friends a few times because they saw it, a Dragonball game, and didn't believe me that it was so terrible. 

Five years or so later I was doing some dumb searching on games and came upon an unusual surprise:  that trash game that I had I purchased for $10 was suddenly worth $450.  When I went home for Christmas break I sold my copy on ebay and made a grip of money.  I told my friend who had purchased his copy at the same time and he said he was going to do the same.  He looked and looked but couldn't find it.  In the end he asked his little brother and found out that his game had been sold for $50 to a kid down the street.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ParanoiaDragon

Bust a Move 2, was one of the primary reasons I got the PS1.  There were no real RPG's yet, but at the time, I was obsessed with Bust a Move in the arcade.  The 2 games I bought with my PS1 was Bust a Move 2, & Viewpoint(another Neo Geo game I enjoyed in the arcade).
IMG

seieienbu

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/14/2017, 03:17 AMBust a Move 2, was one of the primary reasons I got the PS1.  There were no real RPG's yet, but at the time, I was obsessed with Bust a Move in the arcade.  The 2 games I bought with my PS1 was Bust a Move 2, & Viewpoint(another Neo Geo game I enjoyed in the arcade).
I had Bust a Move 2 on the Saturn.  It's definitely a fun game that I'm glad to own but I don't think I would have bought a console for it.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ParanoiaDragon

What's funny, is that I'm not much in to puzzles, but, that game, I got super obsessed with it.  Played it whenever I got a chance.  It probably didn't hurt that it had Bub & Bob in it.  I had a good feeling about the PS1 in general, so, I was convinced I knew what I was doing was right.
IMG

ClodBusted

Super Bust A Move 2 is one of my favorite PS2 games. The cockbrained cutscenes and character slogans make it even more enjoyable. If I want to share a laugh with a buddy, this is the game to play.

xcrement5x

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/15/2017, 01:35 AMWhat's funny, is that I'm not much in to puzzles, but, that game, I got super obsessed with it.  Played it whenever I got a chance.  It probably didn't hurt that it had Bub & Bob in it.  I had a good feeling about the PS1 in general, so, I was convinced I knew what I was doing was right.
I had Ultra Bust a Move for the original Xbox and that was probably the game I sunk the most hours into (or maybe DOAX :P) but you're right, those games can just be delightfully fun to pick up and play whenever.

HuMan

A very nice person traded me a PS1 Gameshark cartridge, which I loaded Unirom on and now I can run backups on my unmodded SCPH-1001 console. I am very happy. Time for some Clock Tower, Silent Hill and Doom me thinks.  :D

Gypsy

Quote from: HuMan on 12/22/2017, 12:23 AMA very nice person traded me a PS1 Gameshark cartridge, which I loaded Unirom on and now I can run backups on my unmodded SCPH-1001 console. I am very happy. Time for some Clock Tower, Silent Hill and Doom me thinks.  :D
Wow, how did I not know about this. I need to get this set-up to play all the stupid rares I will never buy.

Has this been working well for you? Looking around it seems to have some issues.

Anyway the actual reason I bumped this thread is I've started digging into some of the weirder PS1 titles out there and yeah there is some cool, kickass stuff.

xcrement5x

I thought you could just load PS1 roms onto a phat PS2 with hard drive?

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 02/06/2018, 12:21 PMI thought you could just load PS1 roms onto a phat PS2 with hard drive?
I believe you can but I believe it is emulation so at that point I'd just emulate on PC.

If I am dumb and wrong about this (possible!) someone should correct me.

crazydean

Quote from: Gypsy on 02/06/2018, 12:53 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/06/2018, 12:21 PMI thought you could just load PS1 roms onto a phat PS2 with hard drive?
I believe you can but I believe it is emulation so at that point I'd just emulate on PC.

According to a thread on gamefaqs.com, the phat ps2 uses hardware while the slim PS2 emulates the ps1.

xcrement5x

Quote from: crazydean on 02/06/2018, 05:15 PM
Quote from: Gypsy on 02/06/2018, 12:53 PM

According to a thread on gamefaqs.com, the phat ps2 uses hardware while the slim PS2 emulates the ps1.
Yeah, this is my understanding.  The original PS2 units pretty much just have the actual PS1 hardware in them, that doesn't mean every game still works perfectly though. I remember a  PSX Star Wars game I played on the PS2 that like the intro ran super fast.

Psycho Punch

All PS2s have hardware retrocompat, the real problem is that the PS1 chip acts as the PS2's IO controller in PS2 mode. USB/HDD = PS2 Kernel Mode, Booting a PS1 game makes the IO chip take over the console hardware until reboot.

The HDD PS thing is done with a software emulator ripped from a Bomberman game distributed by Hudson through their "channel" in the Japan only PS2 Broadband Navigator. It's very lacking and buggy.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Gypsy

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 02/06/2018, 07:10 PMAll PS2s have hardware retrocompat, the real problem is that the PS1 chip acts as the PS2's IO controller in PS2 mode. USB/HDD = PS2 Kernel Mode, Booting a PS1 game makes the IO chip take over the console hardware until reboot.

The HDD PS thing is done with a software emulator ripped from a Bomberman game distributed by Hudson through their "channel" in the Japan only PS2 Broadband Navigator. It's very lacking and buggy.
These were the answers I was seeking. Thank you very much.

bob

i found a sweet adapter that allows you to use a ps controller on a gamecube or xbox.  it has usb too, but i haven't tried one on the pc yet

ClodBusted

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 02/06/2018, 07:10 PMAll PS2s have hardware retrocompat, the real problem is that the PS1 chip acts as the PS2's IO controller in PS2 mode. USB/HDD = PS2 Kernel Mode, Booting a PS1 game makes the IO chip take over the console hardware until reboot.
This!

Quote from: bob on 02/06/2018, 09:52 PMi found a sweet adapter that allows you to use a ps controller on a gamecube or xbox.  it has usb too, but i haven't tried one on the pc yet
I have found a sweet adaptor that allows you to use a PlayStation controller on the Xbox 360, and vice-versa.
IMG
http://www.dx.com/p/ps2-to-xbox-360-controller-adapter-cable-33241

I've only tested it so far to use PS2 controllers on Xbox 360, and it works. You NEED a _wired_ Xbox 360 controller plugged into the USB jack of the adaptor as well, though, to make the Xbox 360 recognise the adaptor. Still, this is a pretty chinsy-flimsy Chinesium design, the build-quality isn't anything to write home about. At least there's no noticeable input lag, and guess what I'm kind of anal about any lag.
Useful for 2D games (e.g. the Monster World collection and Pac Man C.E.) as well as fighting games, because they benefit greatly from a good d-pad.

Otherwise, this is my go-to adress for all kinds of useful adaptors, they're the best:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/

TheClash603

I'm a Saturn > Playstation guy for sure.

With that said, here are some PlayStation games that I liked, in no particular order and for no particular reason.

ESPN Extreme Games
Deception series
Twisted Metal 1 and 2
Destruction Derby
Blast Chamber
Resident Evil
A-Train
Final Fantasy 7
Project Horned Owl
Alien Trilogy
Symphony of the Night
Cool Boarders