Japanese Saturn owners - Will US games work witht hat Action Replay cartridge?

Started by Alt-Nintega, 04/25/2008, 07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alt-Nintega

I have a grey Japanese Saturn and that is what I'd like to find out.

PCEngineHell

termis

Yeah, my gray saturn works fine with the AR cart. (though I have it modified with a switch so I don't really use the AR cart on it, but that's beside the point -- it _does_ work :?)

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Digi.k

Yup most will work .. as BT said panzer dragoon saga will have problems but i think there is a code you need to create which will bypass the regional lock.

I can play a PAL panzer saga on my japanese saturn with no problem.

This was how I got passed it.

This game features some protection to stop people from cheating.  There is a
code to get around this however.  Create a new code on the cartride using the
following as the master code -

F6000914 C305
B6002800 0000

And the following as the cheat code itself -

06002EB0 0009

This should allow all 4 discs to boot with a cart in the slot flawlessly,
preventing wear and tear.  I have only tried this on a PAL copy.  I read it may
not work on the Japanese version, but I cannot vouch for this.

That was pasted from a FAQ

guyjin

Also, one of the SNK fighting games was Japan only and had a rom cartridge that goes with it - which you obviously can't use since the slot is occupied. Can't remember which, though.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guyjin on 04/26/2008, 04:01 PMAlso, one of the SNK fighting games was Japan only and had a rom cartridge that goes with it - which you obviously can't use since the slot is occupied. Can't remember which, though.
Most/all? SNK fighters were japan only. The 4meg Action Replay is super common and cheap now and will play any 1 or 4 meg ram cart games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Alt-Nintega

So the US Panzer Dragoon Saga won't work with that cartridge but the PAL version will? How odd.

WoodyXP

Quote from: guyjin on 04/26/2008, 04:01 PMAlso, one of the SNK fighting games was Japan only and had a rom cartridge that goes with it - which you obviously can't use since the slot is occupied. Can't remember which, though.
That would be KOF '95.
"I bathe in AES carts."

PCEngineHell

Yea,KOF 95. If you dont have a region switch and you're brave enough you can cart swap before KOF 95 starts the initial load. I dont recommend this though.

quoth09

Quote from: Digi.k on 04/25/2008, 08:34 PMYup most will work .. as BT said panzer dragoon saga will have problems but i think there is a code you need to create which will bypass the regional lock.

I can play a PAL panzer saga on my japanese saturn with no problem.

This was how I got passed it.

This game features some protection to stop people from cheating.  There is a
code to get around this however.  Create a new code on the cartride using the
following as the master code -

F6000914 C305
B6002800 0000

And the following as the cheat code itself -

06002EB0 0009

This should allow all 4 discs to boot with a cart in the slot flawlessly,
preventing wear and tear.  I have only tried this on a PAL copy.  I read it may
not work on the Japanese version, but I cannot vouch for this.

That was pasted from a FAQ
Hey, thanks for posting that. I will have to try that sometime.

I own an original PDS US copy, and I typically play the backups I made of it, and my US system is modded for JP games.

I run into an error when using the Pro Action Replay on my backups of PDS (and originals as well), so I always had to use my ST Key, which doesn't like to load sometimes, and well... you get the picture.

I have no idea why they did this. It is the only game I have ever had a problem with. The only thing I figure, is that it was so late in the life span of the saturn, that they wanted to deter people from using copies or exporting it. Now yeah, given that CD-Rs had not been out long for normal consumer purchase, it would have still be cheaper to play a copy at that point than buy an original. Also, it's not like it was ever rare in Japan, or limited over there, so who knows.

Also another oddity about PDS: when playing backups of PDS, I have to do a 5x disc swap! (maybe it's 4x? been a while since I have done it - I know it's at least 3x) The game checks 5 times to make sure it is the real disc. All other games only do that 1 time. Almost more trouble than it's worth.

EDIT: The 5x swap is not because of PDS - it is because of the ST Key. It loads import code, then knocks you to the CD player screen, checks the disc, then goes back to the normal area. It then stops the disc and highlights load application. Then it requires a couple of more swaps before booting. I completely forgot it kicks you to the CD Player after ST Key loads. Also doesn't matter if it is a backup or not.

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 04/26/2008, 05:50 PMSo the US Panzer Dragoon Saga won't work with that cartridge but the PAL version will? How odd.
No, he was saying that he uses that code to bypass the protection. I'm sure it's probably found in the PAL version as well. If that isn't the case Digi.K, please be more specific.

Digi.k

That PDS code I can only confirm it to work for the PAL PDS working on a jp Saturn..

I can't confirm if the USA PDS works with the code.

quoth09

I just checked it myself. Works like a dream on a US copy. Also, no more 5x swap or being forced to use the ST Key anymore.  :dance:

Given that both the Euro and US versions of the game have lockouts, I would guess the JP one does as well.

SignOfZeta

As with all systems I recommend eventually getting a real mod. The main reason being that as wonderful as the Saturn is (I love it, I really do) the cart slot is a world class piece of fucking shit. If you use a 4MB PAR and never take it out you might not have problems, but if you ever have to change carts you'll be severely fed up. Having a switch will make you mess with carts slightly less often. In fact I got to the point where the only thing I was using my 4MB PAR for was the code to get air specials in Vampire Saviour, so I sold it to some kid cheap.

Here are a few reasons to have a region switch:

The official backup RAM cart is sooooooo nice. Virtually infinite space. Sure the PAR has a ton of space too, but you have to use the memory manager in the PAR to swap stuff back and forth. With the Sega one you can save directly to it in-game. Also, there are some games that create save files so big they take up more space that even exists on the Saturn. Off the top of my head the only one I can think of is Warcraft II. You can save between scenarios no problem, but you actually need the save cart to save mid-level. I can't think of any JP games like this. There are other games that just take up so much space you'll probably want a memory cart. Sim City and Super Robot Wars come to mind. I think Sega Rally has some sort of file that is huge for some reason.

KOF 95, as mentioned, has a dedicated ROM cart meaning you need the slot open. You have a JP Saturn so this obviously isn't an issue, but someone here with a US Saturn might care. There is also an Ultraman game like this, but its unlikely you will care. There is also a Tamagochi game like this too, but its different. The game comes with a special back up RAM cart that is basically the same as the grey ones and the white ones, but they put a special file on it that you need or you can't play the game. So if you reformat the game, you're screwed. Odd...

The modem. Not very popular these days, but it does have its uses.

The SNK 1MB cart. There is at least one SNK game that produces glitches with the official 4MB cart, and possibly the 4MB PAR as well. I think this game is...SamShow 3? I can't remember.

Panzer Saga: I didn't even know this was an issue until just now. I have only played it on my US SS, and my switched white SS. It works, btw.

Interesting trivia: Some Saturn games have no region! The only one I can think of is...the US version of Baku Baku Animal. It will play in either US, or JP systems. There are others too, but I can't remember what they are.

The world needs a site like pcengine-fx.com that is devoted to the Saturn. Is there one?

IMG

PCEngineHell

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/27/2008, 12:44 AMThe SNK 1MB cart. There is at least one SNK game that produces glitches with the official 4MB cart, and possibly the 4MB PAR as well. I think this game is...SamShow 3? I can't remember.

Interesting trivia: Some Saturn games have no region! The only one I can think of is...the US version of Baku Baku Animal. It will play in either US, or JP systems. There are others too, but I can't remember what they are.
I was thinking Sam Sho 4 had issues,dont remember. KOF 96 does also on a 4 meg,as does one of the Real Bouts and possibly Metal Slug. Id have to load them up to see. Sticking to the SNK cart for the Neo ports tends to be the best thing to do. A region switch is the best option always,I agree. Golden Axe The Duel is also another US released title thats region free.

CrackTiger

I'd just stick to a japanese system and use the 4 Meg Action Replay for U.S. games. I have a few U.S. and japanese Saturns, but I pretty much always just grab a japanese system and that cart when I plan on playing random games. PDS is the only game I've ever had any trouble with.