OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Stupid @#$@!# HuC hit another imaginary limit.

Started by DildoKKKobold, 11/05/2016, 07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DildoKKKobold

So, I was coding in HuC, and I hit some new imaginary limit. Essentially, I've hit a limit to either the number of functions, or total function size that I can write. Essentially, what happens, is if I add in all my code, the game "freezes" and nothing happens on start up. If I delete any function, and replace it with empty code, the code compiles and works fine. The ROM is only at 350ish KB right now, and I thought I could go as high as 1MB.

I've hit some sort of programming limit, that has killed my ability to make progress.

For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

megatron-uk

Remember that all your code and data needs to fit in 8KB banks that the PCE maps in and out as needed.

Perhaps you have a function that is so large it is over the size of an 8KB bank?

One thing I tried previously was re-arranging the order of my functions, so that when assembled they fit in different banks. That might help? I don't know if the compiler and assembler is smart enough to do that by default?

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: megatron-uk on 11/05/2016, 07:26 PMRemember that all your code and data needs to fit in 8KB banks that the PCE maps in and out as needed.

Perhaps you have a function that is so large it is over the size of an 8KB bank?

One thing I tried previously was re-arranging the order of my functions, so that when assembled they fit in different banks. That might help? I don't know if the compiler and assembler is smart enough to do that by default?
I've exceeded the 8kb bank limit before. HuC at least warns you about that. This seems... different. The code just straight up won't run.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Gredler

DK is there more info you can provide? I wonder if cleaning up the directories and combing through the combined code a bit would reveal something? Scary to hear this is a straight up blocker, I wonder if the new branch of HuC will help?

Sunray

I hit the max number of structs (32) pretty quickly in Ulis HuC. I bumped the constant and recompiled, works! Might be that simple for the function limit as well, although I have a lot of functions and no problem yet.

elmer

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 11/05/2016, 07:03 PMSo, I was coding in HuC, and I hit some new imaginary limit. Essentially, I've hit a limit to either the number of functions, or total function size that I can write. Essentially, what happens, is if I add in all my code, the game "freezes" and nothing happens on start up. If I delete any function, and replace it with empty code, the code compiles and works fine. The ROM is only at 350ish KB right now, and I thought I could go as high as 1MB.
Do you run your game in Mednafen, or some other emulator with a debugger?

If so, you've hit the the time for some serious debugging! Mednafen's Trace Log and the listing file from HuC should give you a fighting chance of figuring out where things go off-the-rails.

sirhcman

Did you ever figure this out DarkKobold?

Arkhan Asylum

Is it ANY function , or only some that cause the game to start working?   If you replace the contents of the functions with literally nothing, it starts working?

How many functions do you have?

Check your listing file and see if HuC has done something strange and jammed something overtop of something else?
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!